Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 02:25:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5401 5402 5403 5404 5405 5406 5407 5408 5409 5410 5411 5412 5413 5414 5415 5416 5417 5418 5419 5420 5421 5422 5423 5424 5425 5426 5427 5428 5429 5430 5431 5432 5433 5434 5435 5436 5437 5438 5439 5440 5441 5442 5443 5444 5445 5446 5447 5448 5449 5450 [5451] 5452 5453 5454 5455 5456 5457 5458 5459 5460 5461 5462 5463 5464 5465 5466 5467 5468 5469 5470 5471 5472 5473 5474 5475 5476 5477 5478 5479 5480 5481 5482 5483 5484 5485 5486 5487 5488 5489 5490 5491 5492 5493 5494 5495 5496 5497 5498 5499 5500 5501 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722550 times)
Jestah

Activity: 426
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 08:42:09 PM

Does Dash ever have the plans to add proof of stake?

Masternode is POS...  Wink

It's proof of service, we shouldn't confuse him.

There is no proof of stake with DASH and I don't think there ever will be.
Macrochip

Activity: 465

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 08:42:20 PM

Which stands for Proof of Service

bigrcanada

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 08:46:59 PM

Hey AdamWhite....chill out.  You'll get your new user account banned too. Wink

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:01:56 PM

Can't we all just get along? I would really like that.

I agree with this.

Wolf0, i'd like to say your a great example of the behavior of someone WHOS NOT a fan of our coin, of someone who's openly supporting another coin project, but still conducts himself in a respectful manner.  I applaud that sir.  Your on here drilling and grilling people about our tech in a manner that is not demeaning.   Bravo!  Your development team and supporters of your coin community could learn much from your conduct.  

Rich

Thank you. People get too emotional about it - that clouds their judgement.

I'd like to ask some questions regarding Evolution itself, but I doubt I'll get answers as I'm not supposed to have read the whitepaper yet. Tongue

Forgive my skepticism, but Evan says the whitepaper won't even exist until after the implementation is written. How have you read something that hasn't yet been written?

There's rough copies.

Where?

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
BrainShutdown
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:09:17 PM

Can't we all just get along? I would really like that.

I agree with this.

Wolf0, i'd like to say your a great example of the behavior of someone WHOS NOT a fan of our coin, of someone who's openly supporting another coin project, but still conducts himself in a respectful manner.  I applaud that sir.  Your on here drilling and grilling people about our tech in a manner that is not demeaning.   Bravo!  Your development team and supporters of your coin community could learn much from your conduct.  

Rich

Thank you. People get too emotional about it - that clouds their judgement.

I'd like to ask some questions regarding Evolution itself, but I doubt I'll get answers as I'm not supposed to have read the whitepaper yet. Tongue

Forgive my skepticism, but Evan says the whitepaper won't even exist until after the implementation is written. How have you read something that hasn't yet been written?

There's rough copies.

Where?

I guess Wolf0 is referring to internal drafts, not something to be consumed by the populace at large  Wink

hetecon

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

Viarium.io - DECENTRALIZED VR WORLD

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:09:48 PM

So then this masternode, is not creating proof hashes from coin outpoints?

TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:09:58 PM

Ok...another quick question....coin control...how does it function in a wallet.  As I mentioned earlier...I have a wallet address showing up twice in my wallet apparently because I sent to rounds of funds to that same wallet address.  Now I can't use that for my 14th MN as the address is not showing one 1000MN amount...but 2 separate amounts though belonging to the same wallet address...how the hell that works i'm not sure...advise?

Make sure you set masternode=0 in the config file so the funds aren't locked.

Are you trying to set up several MNs in one wallet (so you can do start-many?)  If so, each collateral has to be in it's own address.  first, add a little coin to your "doubled address" to pay for fees and so fees aren't extracted from the original 1000 coin deposit.  Then take the second deposit, and send it to another address in your wallet.  Anyway, just make a new address to send to, and I believe the first address will still work for you.  As long as the original deposit of 1000 coins isn't touched by fees.

Also, use coin control so you know exactly which 1000 coin deposit you're sending to the new address and where the fees will be deducted from.

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:24:32 PM

So then this masternode, is not creating proof hashes from coin outpoints?

Usually MNs just mix funds, not that they ever actually touch the funds, but that's another subject.  When MNs process instantX transactions, they do so in a quorum of, I think, 10 MNs.   They check the validity of the inputs, and then lock them.  Once locked, they are included in the block by the miner.

In the future, there will be only instantX transactions.  The MN network will all be split into quorums and they will process all transactions this way, taking all responsibility from the miners.  If the miner tries to include something that hasn't been locked by the MNs then the block is rejected.

So anyway, POS, Proof Of Service is where the MNs each have to ping every so many minutes to prove they're online and ready to serve.  If they go off line, they lose their place in the payment list, although they have 70 minutes or so, which is more than enough for updating and maintenance. 

Miners are still important, because the hash they create is used to select the quorums based on their original transaction ID and their age.  They are also tasked with updating the blockchain.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:59:48 PM

Any mining updates with Dash (or x11 in general), are we still mostly on AMD cards or Maxwell cards, any news of FPGAs?

FPGA is still doable, and still not happening unless you've money to invest. I'm working on designs for FPGA, but it's kind of a side project for now.

What would be the best hashing algorithm if the objective was to enable easy to produce and affordable ASICs or FPGAs that would still be profitable or at least break-even for regular consumers? Or is that even possible as large ASIC mines would take over anyway if the ASIC was easy to manufacture?
okane818
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 10:13:02 PM

Wow, DASH is awesome.

is solo mining for DASH working?

Thanks
splawik21
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

DASH is the future of crypto payments!

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 10:16:24 PM

Ok...another quick question....coin control...how does it function in a wallet.  As I mentioned earlier...I have a wallet address showing up twice in my wallet apparently because I sent to rounds of funds to that same wallet address.  Now I can't use that for my 14th MN as the address is not showing one 1000MN amount...but 2 separate amounts though belonging to the same wallet address...how the hell that works i'm not sure...advise?

Are you trying to set up several MNs in one wallet (so you can do start-many?)  If so, each collateral has to be in it's own address.  first, add a little coin to your "doubled address" to pay for fees and so fees aren't extracted from the original 1000 coin deposit.  Then take the second deposit, and send it to another address in your wallet.  Anyway, just make a new address to send to, and I believe the first address will still work for you.  As long as the original deposit of 1000 coins isn't touched by fees.

Also, use coin control so you know exactly which 1000 coin deposit you're sending to the new address and where the fees will be deducted from.
Nice explaining TS Smiley Thank you Smiley

Richard I sent you a PM too how to go through it all Smiley

BE SMART, USE DASH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 10:20:39 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2015, 12:46:11 AM by TaoOfSaatoshi

Wow, DASH is awesome.

Thanks
Yes indeed, it is awesome, and about to be even more so after the Miami Bitcoin Conference when Dash's next-generation Evolution technology will be detailed.

Yes, solo mining for Dash is working, feel free to join in!   Smiley

Edit: I've been told it's not. First I heard of it.

Solarminer

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 10:27:12 PM

FYI, You don't need to use masternode=0 in your config.  Just go into coin control toggle the lock on the inputs to send out of an address with 1000 dash.  Also if you send 1000 dash from an address that has 1000 dash there are no fees.  If you combine two smaller amounts to make the 1000, then yes to the fee.
splawik21
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

DASH is the future of crypto payments!

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 10:35:03 PM

Wow, DASH is awesome.

Thanks
Yes indeed, it is awesome, and about to be even more so after the Miami Bitcoin Conference when Dash's next-generation Evolution technology will be detailed.

Yes, solo mining for Dash is working, feel free to join in!   Smiley

No it's not. Getwork was removed from the wallet, and I talked to Evan about porting GBT to the miners and he didn't want to.
Agree, it was removed in v12 or a bit earlier if I remember good.
Use some p2pool or join some low hash pool...

BE SMART, USE DASH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
bigrcanada

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 11:18:43 PM

WOW!!!!  All this FPGA discussion is way above my head!  I remember mining dash with several desktop computers and a few laptops using CPU...before there was a graphics miner available.  then I went out in a limb and rent 24 VPN from Microsoft to mine with too.  Actually did ok for about a week....then everyone jumped on board and the difficulty went through the roof!  Sad

I toasted 3 dells on that...got them all warrantied though lol Wink.  Haven't done any mining since....is CPU even doable?

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.
bigrcanada

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 11:22:15 PM

Thanks TS...and Mr Sly.   Yeah...I'm going to try this coinjoin.  Sorry I missed your skype...we are in the middle of getting ready to harvest Icewine!  Cross my fingers...has to be -9 degrees Celsius for a few hours before we harvest and press it out.  Usually start at around 2am...that when its nice and cold and calm out!

Jestah

Activity: 426

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 11:31:18 PM

WOW!!!!  All this FPGA discussion is way above my head!  I remember mining dash with several desktop computers and a few laptops using CPU...before there was a graphics miner available.  then I went out in a limb and rent 24 VPN from Microsoft to mine with too.  Actually did ok for about a week....then everyone jumped on board and the difficulty went through the roof!  Sad

I toasted 3 dells on that...got them all warrantied though lol Wink.  Haven't done any mining since....is CPU even doable?

I'm sure I'm not profitable, but I mine p2pool with two 270x gpus and xpool with 3 cpus.
BusterNutBag

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 11:34:03 PM

Does nobody remember

setgenerate true -1

from the console?Huh
Solarminer

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 12:04:06 AM

Any mining updates with Dash (or x11 in general), are we still mostly on AMD cards or Maxwell cards, any news of FPGAs?

FPGA is still doable, and still not happening unless you've money to invest. I'm working on designs for FPGA, but it's kind of a side project for now.
Are you working on the software side or hardware side? Would it be able to use existing hardware or would the x11 algorithm be too much for the current ones out there?

Both, if you mean the FPGA design, and the code on the computer to interact with the pool and such. You'll likely need a custom board, OR a more powerful FPGA, but a custom board with several cheap chips would be easier, I think.

What would be the best hashing algorithm if the objective was to enable easy to produce and affordable ASICs or FPGAs that would still be profitable or at least break-even for regular consumers? Or is that even possible as large ASIC mines would take over anyway if the ASIC was easy to manufacture?

Large ASIC miners would just make TONS of the chips - economies of scale: shit gets cheaper when you make more of it.
Definitely a custom board with several cheap chips sounds better to me, instead of a custom board with multiple chips how about a backboard that has lots of headers and allows multiple current fpgas to attach? Would this even be possible?

No, the multiple cheaper chips would be in order to do ONE X11 hash. You could make those your mini-boards, and then attach those to a backplane if you want.
So an example of 11 of these http://www.wayengineer.com/wx-coreep2c8-ep2c8q208c8n-fpga-core-board-p-2221.html#.VlTqStKrQdU would be needed on a backplane to allow it do one hash? Each one reprogramed to a different hash and the slowest the speed actually accepted, or would the chips be able to handle more than one algorithm each?

PS: Sorry if I am coming across as stupid I am not very knowledgeable about this.

No, you don't get it. The chips would handle one algo each - some chips would be able to pack two - Skein and Keccak, for example. You put all those FPGAs on one board, give them an interface for flashing, and an interface for I/O. THEN, if you wish, you could connect said I/O to some sort of backplane, I suppose.
Alright that's what I was assuming for the chips and was thinking the backplane would be the way they communicate to the a main board that would allow the transfer of information through (including flashing) but remain independent. so the power of the chips is what would give the higher hashrate?

Well, first, it'd be the chips, the pipelining optimization you'd do with said chips, and the INCREDIBLE power savings you'd get. It'd be ridiculous to put the chips on seperate boards, they need to communicate with each other multiple times PER HASH.
Okay I have one last very dumb idea, I have been looking into some neat Pi2 projects and have seen a lot of cluster builds, now how possible would a pi 2 cluster work with 12 pi 2's: 1 controller and 11 clustered using a different algorithm each. I do know they are 4 core and a bit more powerful but I am just wondering if it would be even possible. Now as you said the chips would need to communicate with each other would this also be an issue with the pi cluster since they aren't one single board?

It'd make more sense to make one X11 hashing unit board with several FPGA chips, then connect several of those to an RPi2.
I will expand on this answer.  The advantage of an FPGA or ASIC is that they can do one type of task very fast and efficiently.  A CPU like in the PIs is designed to do all things and isn't as efficient to do that one task.  Even splitting the CPUs up to just do one part of the X11, isn't beneficial.  Actually, the graphic chip on the PI may do better than the CPU if it is optimized.

Like wolf0 said, the PIs are really best suited for running the miner software(like cgminer) and connecting to a ASIC or FPGA miner board via USB(Like the Monarch or Antimer).  The miners(Like the Cointerras or Bitmain S7s) that have ethernet connections usually have beagle bones or something similar to a PI inside.  PIs have a lot more uses, too.  You can install Openelec on them for a mythtv frontend.  You can also use a PI for running a masternode.  PIs will use more power than they make trying to mine, unless wolf0 works some magic and makes an optimized mining software.

Wolf0, maybe you would be interested in submitting a project for budget funds for a fpga board.  You would need to be creative in how you put the proposal together to give masternodes an incentive(maybe % back in sales or discount on purchase).
aleix
Legendary

Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 12:15:05 AM

Does nobody remember

setgenerate true -1

from the console?Huh

Hi ,

I recommend you to visit Dashtalk.org, join the mining subforums and ask there:

Mining
https://dashtalk.org/forums/mining.3

Questions and Help
https://dashtalk.org/forums/questions-and-help.70

Pages: « 1 ... 5401 5402 5403 5404 5405 5406 5407 5408 5409 5410 5411 5412 5413 5414 5415 5416 5417 5418 5419 5420 5421 5422 5423 5424 5425 5426 5427 5428 5429 5430 5431 5432 5433 5434 5435 5436 5437 5438 5439 5440 5441 5442 5443 5444 5445 5446 5447 5448 5449 5450 [5451] 5452 5453 5454 5455 5456 5457 5458 5459 5460 5461 5462 5463 5464 5465 5466 5467 5468 5469 5470 5471 5472 5473 5474 5475 5476 5477 5478 5479 5480 5481 5482 5483 5484 5485 5486 5487 5488 5489 5490 5491 5492 5493 5494 5495 5496 5497 5498 5499 5500 5501 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: