Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:59:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5511 5512 5513 5514 5515 5516 5517 5518 5519 5520 5521 5522 5523 5524 5525 5526 5527 5528 5529 5530 5531 5532 5533 5534 5535 5536 5537 5538 5539 5540 5541 5542 5543 5544 5545 5546 5547 5548 5549 5550 5551 5552 5553 5554 5555 5556 5557 5558 5559 5560 [5561] 5562 5563 5564 5565 5566 5567 5568 5569 5570 5571 5572 5573 5574 5575 5576 5577 5578 5579 5580 5581 5582 5583 5584 5585 5586 5587 5588 5589 5590 5591 5592 5593 5594 5595 5596 5597 5598 5599 5600 5601 5602 5603 5604 5605 5606 5607 5608 5609 5610 5611 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722510 times)
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:19:05 AM

But, considering the qr code has the price embedded, this was more experimental than practical.
The necessity of change from a vending machine is an artifact of fiat denominations that don't really apply anymore (tee hee).

Indeed. Thats why I think you should probably forget about it since it detracts from some if the great strengths of your demo, namely that:

[1] - expensive physical sensors for coinage are a thing of the past
[2] - coin-denominated money is a thing of the past
[3] - cash transactions can now be trust free and loss free

Of course, you've also got to look out for the "other side of the coin", i.e.

There nothing to stop a rogue vending machine from charging you $10,000 for a coke and the user not noticing. Maybe thats the bigger challenge than sending change.  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
alex-ru
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:30:20 AM

And here is what we have been working on for the Miami show.....

Yes, a Dash Instantx detecting, soda/pop machine.  

Why a vending machine?  
Because it shows off InstantX in a real use point of sale scenario.  This can't be done with any Bitclone(coins that confirm and secure transactions at the same time).

We have a machine(Thanks Camosoul), we are almost done with software(Thanks Moocowmoo), graphics are started(Thanks Raptor73), and will be adding android wallet instantx functionality(Thanks Fulltimegeek).  Camosoul, Moocowmoo, Fulltimegeek, Splawik21, Oaxaca, Raptor73, and Solarminer(The Instigator) are all helping on this.

What does it do?
  • Displays a QR code to send Dash.
  • If the amount is sent via Instantx and the amount is equal or above the amount needed, it sends the command to credit the machine for 1 beverage.  This is fast - Instant from a human's perspective.
  • If the amount is less/over, it instantly returns the change.
  • If a darksend transactions without exact amount is sent, it keeps the change.
  • If a standard transaction is sent it rejects it and instantly sends it back.  (Maybe display "We don't wait for block confirmations and either should you, InstantX instead!")
  • Once a purchase is made, it displays a thank you and rotates the QR code.

This is just a stepping block.  Next we plan to convert gas pumps, which is why returning change is important.  And many other uses, only possible because of InstantX.

It is absolutely fantastic!!!
Congratulations to everybody who involved!

"Gold for Dash" vending machines will be amazing!

Lukas_Jackson

Activity: 615
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:32:40 AM

There nothing to stop a rogue vending machine from charging you $10,000 for a coke and the user not noticing. Maybe thats the bigger challenge than sending change.  Wink

The amount to pay appears on your phone and then you have a pin to type in.
But I know what you mean.

It is easier to be an aggressive victim than to be a free man.
kointrend

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:37:13 AM

snogcel

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:43:24 AM

Can anybody guide me on how to install the Electrum-Dash on linux, mint/kali/ubuntu everytime i try i get this

Code:
Installing Electrum-DASH-2.4.1rc2

Electrum-DASH for Linux supports x86_64 machines only
You're recommended to use a source installation:
git clone https://github.com/mazaclub/electrum-dash
cd electrum-dash
git checkout 2.4.1rc2
pyrcc4 icons.prc -o gui/qt/icons_qrc.py
sudo apt-get install python-qt4 pip
sudo pip install --upgrade -r requirements.txt
sudo python setup.py install

BTW am running my linux distros from live-usb.

Anyone?

Through trial and error I found the following steps -- give it a try and let me know, it was a bit finicky for me as well :-)

sudo apt-get install python-dev python-pip libudev-dev libusb-1.0.0-dev
sudo pip install cython
sudo pip install hidapi
sudo apt-get install python-websocket
sudo python setup.py sdist
sudo pip install --pre dist/Electrum-DASH-2.4.1rc2.tar.gz
./electrum-dash

Edit: this is all done from within the /electrum-dash/src folder, after cloning from github

XuvjV4aazgZhcfAj1KRgFnTok1pZZw6Ewu
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:45:20 AM

The amount to pay appears on your phone and then you have a pin to type in.
But I know what you mean.

The freedom and flexibility of non-coined cash brings power but a lot of challenges.

Thats one of the things I like about DAPI. DAPI is a godsend for a crypto because it allows wallet software and payment devices to implement the 'intelligence' needed to really make commercial payments practical. For example it can support a meta payment layer than allows the wallet to interrogate the vendor for security or contextual information and therefore provide some protection to the user.

All sorts of commercial level protocols could run on that layer that have nothing to do with the blockchain but that support the payment process all the same. (For example sending the change address as I described earlier or making the wallet aware that it's a low value, qutomated vendor).
Mrpumperitis
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1075

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:51:17 AM

stocked up and ready for more , trebled up by waitin in btc for a few months Grin

+ well done guys

Technically Bitcoin is a fork and Bitcoin Cash is the original blockchain.When the hard fork occurred, people had access to the same amount of coins on Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash.- NIST
Solarminer

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:02:32 AM

I also think the vending machine idea is a great example of the power and versatility of instantly confirming crypto. It's a fantastic initiative. But I can see some banana skins that you might want to think about before rolling it out to a public demo.

First of all, this:

If a darksend transactions without exact amount is sent, it keeps the change.

...I don't think that's acceptable because it isn't commercially consistent and basically amounts to theft. Think two 13 year old teenage kids with iPhones who buy a coke. One gets change and one doesn't cos they're not technologically nerdy enough to check their denominations ? They don't really want to be faced with questions like "Darksend" "Not Darksend". It might as well be two different currencies.

Further, if change is involved, it should be on condition of supply of a change address, not the on condition of coin denominations. That way the service can be commercially consistent and also optimally serve instances of homogeneous denominations as your current design does. (Because it supplies an implicit change address, but heterogeneous payments then need the option of supplying an explicit one).

It depends on amount you send. Transaction comes from few addresses. Denominations like 0.1, 1.0, 10 are in different addresses.

I'd just ditch the whole idea of change since it isn't really compatible with cryptocurrency (other than change addresses in wallets where the wallet itself has full control over everything). Just accept exact amounts otherwise no coke - since it's far easier for a customer to type the right amount into their wallet than be worrying about how their payment was denominated. Doesn't the QR code do that for them anyway ?

Sorry to be so nerdy about this but it's a great idea and I don't want you to get shot down by a*ssholes (other than me  Cheesy ) who home in on the glaring banana skins of the concept only to ignore the huge potential of it.

Also, what you're demonstrating isn't really a vending machine, it's a metaphor for an entire commercial business model so it's the commercial priorities that need to be thought through, not the blockchain technicalities. In that regard, details like that change thing can explode in your face when presented to the "wrong" audience.

Like Moocowmoo said, we will imbed the price in the QR code.  They would actually have to modify it for there to be change.  But I figure there will be 'testers' that will try this to see what happens - most likely they will all be in Miami on the 21st.  Smiley  So we want to not only show them what is possible but to make it more possible than they thought it could be!

You need to do both of these things to not get your change back:
#1 Change the amount.
#2 Change from the default nondarksend to darksend.
It is unlikely for a novice to do this.  We will also put a number to contact with problems just like if you got your $1 bill stuck.  It should also be obvious that when sending a darksend transaction it shouldn't be possible to return funds(it is an anonymous transaction).  In production, the machine could have a camera to grab a return address QR code, but we are pretty far down on the what ifs.

The change return is a cool feature and one that can really be useful for other scenarios.  (like a gas station when you don't know how much you want before you fill your tank)  It is already working too.  Here is proof from a transaction on testnet.  15.01 Dash sent (.01 IX fee).  2 Dash Sprite was charged, and 13 Dash returned.  This also happened in a split second.(IX acknowledged, change address found from looking up transaction, and then sent back).  A lot happened here and it is pretty amazing it is so fast.  Moocowmoo did a great job on this.
moocowmoo

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

bovine quadruped, professional loafer, dash dev

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 03:12:53 AM

... can't refund...

not so. we can refund darksends too.  the same input lookup works for all transaction types.
(we have inputs to send to, we just don't know their history.)

A lot happened here and it is pretty amazing it is so fast.  Moocowmoo did a great job on this.

d'aww, thanks! :-)

tips: XmoocowYfrPKUR6p6M5aJZdVntQe71irCX | identity: https://keybase.io/moocowmoo
service: https://masternode.me -- The first automated masternode service. Ugly website, stellar uptimes and hands-on support. Over 150 nodes with 300+ days uptime!
Solarminer

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:57:27 AM

... can't refund...

not so. we can refund darksends too.  the same input lookup works for all transaction types.
Time to get technical....Let's go.

Of course, the fee for the darksend is rounded up.  So a .41 Dash beverage is actually .5 dash with the .09 Dash fee.  And the fee actually passes on to the receiver if I am not mistaken.  There would be 5 inputs of .1 in the transaction.  Likelihood of all of them originating with the sender wallet = slim.  So the refund would most likely be a partial refund.  Maybe hitting a 20%-40% return rate.
TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 04:04:13 AM

I love when I go to watch a movie and my investment increases by $2,000. I wonder how Otoh feels right now? Seriously, though, fantastic job to you guys, and for keeping it a secret for so long. Miami is going to be fun!

Jestah

Activity: 426

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:11:11 AM

I love when I go to watch a movie and my investment increases by $2,000. I wonder how Otoh feels right now? Seriously, though, fantastic job to you guys, and for keeping it a secret for so long. Miami is going to be fun!

I hear that, I step away and I'm a couple grand up.

Nice surprise!
Kisleav

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:13:33 AM

I love the innovation going on here
moocowmoo

Activity: 263

bovine quadruped, professional loafer, dash dev

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 04:19:07 AM

... can't refund...

Of course, the fee for the darksend is rounded up.  So a .41 Dash beverage is actually .5 dash with the .09 Dash fee.  And the fee actually passes on to the receiver if I am not mistaken.  There would be 5 inputs of .1 in the transaction.  Likelihood of all of them originating with the sender wallet = slim.  So the refund would most likely be a partial refund.  Maybe hitting a 20%-40% return rate.

You are misinformed. Darksend doesn't work that way.
But, I understand why. The terminology is confusing.

Darksend (the transaction checkbox) just spends from your pre-mixed inputs. There is no other transaction involved.
I can choose any input for a refund and you get all your funds back.

Darksend Mixing (the ahead-of-time masternode input shuffling) is the only time another users inputs are involved in a merged transaction. You're always sending to yourself in this mode, never a third party.

tips: XmoocowYfrPKUR6p6M5aJZdVntQe71irCX | identity: https://keybase.io/moocowmoo
service: https://masternode.me -- The first automated masternode service. Ugly website, stellar uptimes and hands-on support. Over 150 nodes with 300+ days uptime!
Solarminer

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:25:12 AM

Thanks.  I have had fun dropping hints.  Camosoul just picked up the machine last night.  I didn't want to jump the gun until it was a solid go.

We are getting close to Lincoln Day when Dash passes the $5 bill.
Solarminer

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:31:38 AM

... can't refund...

You are misinformed. Darksend doesn't work that way.
But, I understand why. The terminology is confusing.

Darksend (the transaction checkbox) just spends from your pre-mixed inputs. There is no other transaction involved.
I can choose any input for a refund and you get all your funds back.

Darksend Mixing (the ahead-of-time masternode input shuffling) is the only time another users inputs are involved in a merged transaction. You're always sending to yourself in this mode, never a third party.
It is times like this when I am thankful to know people smarter than me.  You, moocowmoo are one of them.  Ok, time to play on testnet for a while and check this out.
lobo13hf

Activity: 2268
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:59:09 AM

Can anybody guide me on how to install the Electrum-Dash on linux, mint/kali/ubuntu everytime i try i get this

Code:

cd electrum-dash
git checkout 2.4.1rc2

Anyone?

Through trial and error I found the following steps -- give it a try and let me know, it was a bit finicky for me as well :-)

sudo pip install cython
sudo pip install hidapi
./electrum-dash

Edit: this is all done from within the /electrum-dash/src folder, after cloning from github

Thanks for answering i guess everybody is so "exited/focus" on the pump,

where do i get the Electrum-DASH-2.4.1rc2.tar.gz on dash.org i only get the Electrum-DASH-2.4.1rc2.bin file, teheres no src folder after i clonend from github???

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
snogcel

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:22:41 AM

Code:

cd electrum-dash
git checkout 2.4.1rc2

Anyone?

sudo pip install cython
sudo pip install hidapi
./electrum-dash

Thanks for answering i guess everybody is so "exited/focus" on the pump,

where do i get the Electrum-DASH-2.4.1rc2.tar.gz on dash.org i only get the Electrum-DASH-2.4.1rc2.bin file, teheres no src folder after i clonend from github???

No problem! Derp - I don't know why I was thinking there was a "src" folder, please ignore that :-) You can run those commands in the root electrum-dash folder, there is no "src" folder.

Theoretically, running this command (I forgot this one last time, sorry):

then:

should create the .tar.gz file in a dist folder, then:

Should install it. What happens when you run those three commands individually?

XuvjV4aazgZhcfAj1KRgFnTok1pZZw6Ewu
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:40:33 AM

Dash Masternode Owners !!
Please .....

Wink
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 06:44:41 AM

The amount of innovation and progress that Dash is making is just mind boggling, keep up the good work guys.
A bumpy ride indeed, yes sir  Grin

I'm looking forward to 2016, enjoy this last day(s) of 2015 while it lasts...

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
Pages: « 1 ... 5511 5512 5513 5514 5515 5516 5517 5518 5519 5520 5521 5522 5523 5524 5525 5526 5527 5528 5529 5530 5531 5532 5533 5534 5535 5536 5537 5538 5539 5540 5541 5542 5543 5544 5545 5546 5547 5548 5549 5550 5551 5552 5553 5554 5555 5556 5557 5558 5559 5560 [5561] 5562 5563 5564 5565 5566 5567 5568 5569 5570 5571 5572 5573 5574 5575 5576 5577 5578 5579 5580 5581 5582 5583 5584 5585 5586 5587 5588 5589 5590 5591 5592 5593 5594 5595 5596 5597 5598 5599 5600 5601 5602 5603 5604 5605 5606 5607 5608 5609 5610 5611 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: