Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:49:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5677 5678 5679 5680 5681 5682 5683 5684 5685 5686 5687 5688 5689 5690 5691 5692 5693 5694 5695 5696 5697 5698 5699 5700 5701 5702 5703 5704 5705 5706 5707 5708 5709 5710 5711 5712 5713 5714 5715 5716 5717 5718 5719 5720 5721 5722 5723 5724 5725 5726 [5727] 5728 5729 5730 5731 5732 5733 5734 5735 5736 5737 5738 5739 5740 5741 5742 5743 5744 5745 5746 5747 5748 5749 5750 5751 5752 5753 5754 5755 5756 5757 5758 5759 5760 5761 5762 5763 5764 5765 5766 5767 5768 5769 5770 5771 5772 5773 5774 5775 5776 5777 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722683 times)
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 03:21:34 PM

I didn't realise classic had been ruled out by the roundtable.

They can't get the bottle up to do anything with that thing. Looks like bitcoin blockchain is going to loose its independence.

VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 03:45:56 PM

They can't get the bottle up to do anything with that thing. Looks like bitcoin blockchain is going to loose its independence.
I have been very involved in the blocksize debate myself, so I can tell you that this article is very misleading. First of all this roundtable should not be confused with the more significant Bitcoin roundtable that also exists. Secondly this letter released by some of the major mining pools also contained a ultimatum that demanded that Core sets a date for a blocksize limit increase hardfork within 3 weeks, that was one week ago now. This article is very misleading to say the least. I would not consider that letter to be a condemnation of Classic at all, this article is just more pro Core propaganda.

The miners have even stated that they will modify the code themselfs if Core refuses to do so, once the miners start mining larger blocks all of the classic and unlimited nodes will also be compatible with the change. There are still plenty of reasons to have hope for Bitcoin. Smiley
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 04:04:56 PM

I have been very involved in the blocksize debate myself, so I can tell you that this article is very misleading. First of all this roundtable should not be confused with the more significant Bitcoin roundtable that also exists. Secondly this letter released by some of the major mining pools also contained a ultimatum that demanded that Core sets a date for a blocksize limit increase hardfork within 3 weeks, that was one week ago now. This article is very misleading to say the least. I would not consider that letter to be a condemnation of Classic at all, this article is just more pro Core propaganda.

The miners have even stated that they will modify the code themselfs if Core refuses to do so, once the miners start mining larger blocks all of the classic and unlimited nodes will also be compatible with the change. There are still plenty of reasons to have hope for Bitcoin. Smiley

I hope you're right, because currently, I have no way to turn my Dash to dollars to pay bills, except to go through Bitcoin.  And if I have to pay high prices or end up waiting forever for my BTC to arrive at coinbase, so I can send the funds to my bank account, I'm really screwed. What happens when Bitcoin is only useful for large transfers of funds and everyone else is squeezed out?  I just feel that Bitcoin has gone down the wrong road and is completely beholden to Wall St and Banking interests now.

And to be honest, I don't think any Bitcoin investors care, they know if Bitcoin is adopted by the banking industry, that they will increase in price, and that's what they care about.  Unfortunately, that's not why Bitcoin was originally created.  Originally there was a vision to wrangle in the insane spending of our governments, their waste and wars.  It's not going to happen though, because they've been bought.

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 04:09:32 PM

Good interview with Gavin talking about it here. (From yesterday)

https://soundcloud.com/mindtomatter/lets-talk-bitcoin-282-bitcoin
VeritasSapere

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 04:19:36 PM

I hope you're right, because currently, I have no way to turn my Dash to dollars to pay bills, except to go through Bitcoin.  And if I have to pay high prices or end up waiting forever for my BTC to arrive at coinbase, so I can send the funds to my bank account, I'm really screwed. What happens when Bitcoin is only useful for large transfers of funds and everyone else is squeezed out?  I just feel that Bitcoin has gone down the wrong road and is completely beholden to Wall St and Banking interests now.

And to be honest, I don't think any Bitcoin investors care, they know if Bitcoin is adopted by the banking industry, that they will increase in price, and that's what they care about.  Unfortunately, that's not why Bitcoin was originally created.  Originally there was a vision to wrangle in the insane spending of our governments, their waste and wars.  It's not going to happen though, because they've been bought.
The truth is if the blocksize is not increased Bitcoin will simply just be out competed and obsoleted. Bitcoin will not be adopted by the banking industry if there is no mass adoption by the people first as a currency. It makes no sense for the current status quo to adopt Bitcoin when they can just build their own systems that are much more to their benefit. Mass adoption by the people as a currency first is therefore very important because that is the only way that the current financial quo would be "forced" to join the cryptocurrency revolution, in order to stay relevant.

I do not buy the whole vision of Bitcoin as a settlement network, I do not see that happening at all with a restricted blocksize. I think the entire conception is flawed and unrealistic. What is best for Dash is for Bitcoin to thrive, Dash will survive without Bitcoin but we should expect it to take much longer before we start to see true mass adoption if that did happen to Bitcoin.
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 04:37:58 PM

The truth is if the blocksize is not increased Bitcoin will simply just be out competed and obsoleted.

Totally agree.

I do not buy the whole vision of Bitcoin as a settlement network, I do not see that happening at all with a restricted blocksize. I think the entire conception is flawed and unrealistic.

It's basically two choices. What would you rather have ?

- money that just works with scaffolding ?
 - money that just works ?

I don't think the programmers see it like that. I think they have borderline-diabolical delusions of grandeur and see themselves as building "a financial system". That is actually not their job. The Lightning network is the thin end of the wedge in that respect IMO.
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 04:47:38 PM

I do not buy the whole vision of Bitcoin as a settlement network, I do not see that happening at all with a restricted blocksize. I think the entire conception is flawed and unrealistic. What is best for Dash is for Bitcoin to thrive, Dash will survive without Bitcoin but we should expect it to take much longer before we start to see true mass adoption if that did happen to Bitcoin.

I agree, that Bitcoin must survive!  I don't think it's possible for the banking industry to create a "settlement coin" because the network has to be distributed and I don't think they can do it by themselves, and feel secure that no other banking conglomerate has more hashing power, or is able to control the network over others.  Bitcoin is a 3rd entity. 

But who knows?  I've never been interested in finance before, so all this is new to me, and I always screw something up in my thinking, LOL.  I just want crypto currency to take power away from governments, especially mine, in a peaceful way.  It's so out of control, and until I discovered Bitcoin, I couldn't see any way that our world governments could be shrunk down and be forced to do the will of the people.  This whole crypto currency thing is the first time I could see a light, one that will make the world better without first having to suffer a war or something.  I know that's idealistic and most normal people would consider it silly and childish, but I have great hope for this movement Smiley

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
splawik21
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

DASH is the future of crypto payments!

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 05:34:08 PM

As much as I hate to say it
I'm giving up on DASH
The crypto-community hates DASH and does nothing but kick it around and kick it down
Everybody is hung up on past actions....
I'm done....

Masternodes will be sold off and I won't be back...

Good luck all.............. You're gonna need it...
It was nice knowing you. Good luck to YOU in your future endeavours.

Same here!  Take care!

Good thing I don't like the crypto community as a whole "out there"  LOL.  I'd say please don't make decisions when you're upset, but it seems you may have already acted on your decision.  Certainly if you're getting upset over it, it's a good thing to do - to leave. 
Just talked with buster from DARQ Wink
It is not him...neither in century he will give up dash Smiley

BE SMART, USE DASH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
VeritasSapere

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 06:16:49 PM

I agree, that Bitcoin must survive!
Bitcoin does not have to survive for the cryptocurrency revolution to succeed, this is in part why the altcoins are an extension of the ethos within Bitcoin itself.

I don't think it's possible for the banking industry to create a "settlement coin" because the network has to be distributed and I don't think they can do it by themselves, and feel secure that no other banking conglomerate has more hashing power, or is able to control the network over others. Bitcoin is a 3rd entity.
Their settlement network does not have to be distributed, it is not distributed now. The blockchains the banks are building now are also permissioned and centralized blockchains. Therefore can not compete directly with real cryptocurrencies. My point was that the banking industry will not move their operations over to Bitcoin unless they have to, in order to stay relevant. I think this can only truly happen through mass adoption of Bitcoin as a currency. Therefore the vision of the Core developers that Bitcoin should be a settlement network and not a currency actually undermines the entire vision of Bitcoin itself. The whitepaper title did say "Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System". They are essentially moving away from the original vision of Satoshi, the more honest small blockist will admit this.

I do question though, what the point of a settlement network even would be in a world where everyone is free to transact quickly, easily and cheaply.

But who knows? I've never been interested in finance before, so all this is new to me, and I always screw something up in my thinking, LOL. I just want crypto currency to take power away from governments, especially mine, in a peaceful way. It's so out of control, and until I discovered Bitcoin, I couldn't see any way that our world governments could be shrunk down and be forced to do the will of the people. This whole crypto currency thing is the first time I could see a light, one that will make the world better without first having to suffer a war or something. I know that's idealistic and most normal people would consider it silly and childish, but I have great hope for this movement.
I feel the same way, and I think that most normal people are the ones that are actually silly and childish. Wink
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 06:40:54 PM

http://qntra.net/2016/02/google-unveils-glibc-dns-client-vulnerability-many-bitcoin-implementations-affected/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 06:57:17 PM

Discussed here.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2016, 10:17:11 PM

What does it mean for masternode operators? Need to install a patch or something?
crowning

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

Activity: -42

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 11:02:46 PM

It's an operating-system issue, not a Dash/Bitcoin/WhatEverCoin problem.

The operating systems using those glibc versions (means: most Linux distributions)  are vulnerable, therefore ALL software not statically linked to a 'safe' glibc version/replacement is vulnerable.

Update your Linux once a fix is available and you'll be okay.
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 12:06:26 AM

The operating systems using those glibc versions (means: most Linux distributions)  are vulnerable, therefore ALL software not statically linked to a 'safe' glibc version/replacement is vulnerable.

to update Linux once a fix is available, would these be the commands to use ? (google provided those to me, i just need verification if these are the correct ones)

stopping dashd
go to root

./sudo apt-get update
./sudo apt-get upgrade
./sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

if new kernel

./sudo reboot

restart dashd

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
BusterNutBag

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 12:46:06 AM

The operating systems using those glibc versions (means: most Linux distributions)  are vulnerable, therefore ALL software not statically linked to a 'safe' glibc version/replacement is vulnerable.

to update Linux once a fix is available, would these be the commands to use ? (google provided those to me, i just need verification if these are the correct ones)

stopping dashd
go to root

./sudo apt-get update
./sudo apt-get upgrade

if new kernel

./sudo reboot

restart dashd

[stop dash-cli]
dash-cli stop
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo reboot
[restart dash]

TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 01:08:54 AM

I do question though, what the point of a settlement network even would be in a world where everyone is free to transact quickly, easily and cheaply.

Insurance.  Have someone else manage your accounts and keep them safe, while letting you access the funds.  And when something happens, they cover the cost.  Of course, this costs money, but I think 90%+ of the population would rather go this route.  In the end, I think the unbanked is our best bet.

TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 01:14:52 AM

So, wow, a big drop in price, is anything interesting happening out there?  I guess it was just a dump, it's pushing back up already ??  Funny something like that used to bring everyone in here to discuss and now we're not even interested I guess, LOL.

TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 02:03:13 AM

stopping dashd
go to root

./sudo apt-get update
./sudo apt-get upgrade

if new kernel

./sudo reboot

restart dashd

[stop dash-cli]
dash-cli stop
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo reboot
[restart dash]

[/quote]

Thanks BusterNutBag!  I'm glad to see you're still hanging with us at least Smiley

agrod

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 02:03:49 AM

So, wow, a big drop in price, is anything interesting happening out there?  I guess it was just a dump, it's pushing back up already ??  Funny something like that used to bring everyone in here to discuss and now we're not even interested I guess, LOL.
All jumping out of the ponzi train to get to the real one.
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 02:07:02 AM

New Merchant Graphics ! (Dash Logo's, Buttons,...) now available
(on dash.org soon)

https://dashtalk.org/threads/merchant-graphics-dash-logos-buttons.8050/

sample:

Tx salmion  Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 5677 5678 5679 5680 5681 5682 5683 5684 5685 5686 5687 5688 5689 5690 5691 5692 5693 5694 5695 5696 5697 5698 5699 5700 5701 5702 5703 5704 5705 5706 5707 5708 5709 5710 5711 5712 5713 5714 5715 5716 5717 5718 5719 5720 5721 5722 5723 5724 5725 5726 [5727] 5728 5729 5730 5731 5732 5733 5734 5735 5736 5737 5738 5739 5740 5741 5742 5743 5744 5745 5746 5747 5748 5749 5750 5751 5752 5753 5754 5755 5756 5757 5758 5759 5760 5761 5762 5763 5764 5765 5766 5767 5768 5769 5770 5771 5772 5773 5774 5775 5776 5777 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: