Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:07:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 ... 484 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEM] NEM -New Economy Movement - No Envy Movement - Updates+Discussion thread  (Read 661421 times)
TauMuon

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:19:36 AM

So best strategy here is to make a full-feature desktop client separately from mobile applications. The questions here are that what kind of functionality do you expect for a mobile application ? send/ receive NEM; send/ receive messages what else ?

As others have mentioned, I think it needs to be as simple and clean as possible.  I would be completely happy with a first generation app that only sent/recieved NEM, sent/recieved messages, and had a price chart.  The key is to make it look good, work fast, and be cool.   This app should be free.  Ideally, I would guess the mobile app should be designed towards the first time user of cryptocurrencies.  I would contribute towards a bounty too.  That is how much I believe in this concept.

Later on, a more full featured app that has many more options can be built on top of it. 

How feasible would it be to get an app made in  time for launch? Are there any Android developers out there willing to work alongside the developers to make this a reality?

I have fairly limited programming knowledge, so I'm not entirely sure if what I'm asking for is too much. I just think a mobile app for NEM is something that should be acted on now and not put aside for the future...

NEM - New Economy Movement - http://blog.nem.io/overview/ | www.reddit.com/r/nem | https://www.facebook.com/ourNEM | https://twitter.com/nemcoin
Built from the Ground up with 100% Original Code | A Second-Generation Crypto, Radically Improved over Bitcoin | Philosophy of Solidarity and Egalitarianism

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptomite

Activity: 304

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:20:04 AM

UP and the NEM community,

So can we have at least a basic app for the main 3 at launch?

This would be gigantic!! Just basic features for the apps

Im thinking, someone runs  into an article on NEM on the internet. And at the end of the article it says, "want to get involved in the New Economy Movement? Download the NEM app now! It comes with one free Nakamoto, the New Economy Movement crypto currency"!

Even articles on crypto in general, I think this would be something that writers would bring up.

Also, investors would see more valule in the Nakamoto, thus making our Nakamotos that were set aside to promote the movement worth more, giving us stronger resources to work with!!

Mass adoption would be at our doorstep

jxmhqjg

Activity: 175

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:26:43 AM

This is my take on the whole wallet/client:

1. It needs to be an offline wallet. Not like NXT. At the very least make it a hybrid of the two.

2. It absolutely, positively, has to be idiot proof. The biggest issue right now with crypto's is most people have no idea how they work, and if they attempt to get involved, give up due to not understanding how it works - this confusion puts people off becuase they naturally deem it a risk. The vast bulk of untapped users potentially are in this catagory and right now, any coin that appeals to them is going to be successful.

It's vitally important we get a coin that appeals to the wider market, and fill a cap Bitcoin just doesn't fill.

3. Quick, easy, streamlined installation, up and running in moments with a clean UI - not overly complex. Added features could be enabled under an "advanced user" option, perhaps. Don't overburden new users with many features. Keep it clean, keep it simple. If they want more advanced stuff, just give them the option of enabling it.

Either way, I know if all goes to plan and I get my stake, i'm going to be investing a large portion to efforts that make NEM fill a void most crypto's fail to do. I'd also like to see some promotion on the deep web too, because we all know the black market is where bitcoin gets the vast bulk of it's value/demand.

Good idea, I agree! Wink Cheesy

NEM is the future
bitfromit

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:32:13 AM

Here's the poll results I spoke about concerning everyone's preference for GUI or Web clients:

A desktop client/wallet was hugely preferred. Admittedly a sample size of 16 people isn't statistically significant, but it's something to think about. There's a discussion about it in the thread on the forum.

Ugh, tried to register there and found someone took my username on that forum.

EDIT: weird it was me! i had registered before but link went to spam. Voted for GUI app ala btc.
cryptomite

Activity: 304

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:34:41 AM

This is my take on the whole wallet/client:

1. It needs to be an offline wallet. Not like NXT. At the very least make it a hybrid of the two.

2. It absolutely, positively, has to be idiot proof. The biggest issue right now with crypto's is most people have no idea how they work, and if they attempt to get involved, give up due to not understanding how it works - this confusion puts people off becuase they naturally deem it a risk. The vast bulk of untapped users potentially are in this catagory and right now, any coin that appeals to them is going to be successful.

It's vitally important we get a coin that appeals to the wider market, and fill a cap Bitcoin just doesn't fill.

3. Quick, easy, streamlined installation, up and running in moments with a clean UI - not overly complex. Added features could be enabled under an "advanced user" option, perhaps. Don't overburden new users with many features. Keep it clean, keep it simple. If they want more advanced stuff, just give them the option of enabling it.

Either way, I know if all goes to plan and I get my stake, i'm going to be investing a large portion to efforts that make NEM fill a void most crypto's fail to do. I'd also like to see some promotion on the deep web too, because we all know the black market is where bitcoin gets the vast bulk of it's value/demand.

Good idea, I agree! Wink Cheesy

Yes and I think #4 is good too Wink

patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 06:28:08 AM

UP and the NEM community,

So can we have at least a basic app for the main 3 at launch?

This would be gigantic!! Just basic features for the apps

Im thinking, someone runs  into an article on NEM on the internet. And at the end of the article it says, "want to get involved in the New Economy Movement? Download the NEM app now! It comes with one free Nakamoto, the New Economy Movement crypto currency"!

Even articles on crypto in general, I think this would be something that writers would bring up.

Also, investors would see more valule in the Nakamoto, thus making our Nakamotos that were set aside to promote the movement worth more, giving us stronger resources to work with!!

Mass adoption would be at our doorstep

I'm pretty sure having an app at launch is not going to be the deciding factor between mass adoption and rock bottom. Why would an investor see more value in a currency just because there's an app for it ?
Don't get me wrong, I think we need to have an app at some point to make it possible for users to use our currency anywhere anytime but it needs to be thought through very well so I wouldn't rush it just to have it at launch.

lovekfc

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:22:31 AM

Here's the poll results I spoke about concerning everyone's preference for GUI or Web clients:

https://i.imgur.com/2vPQMrC.png

A desktop client/wallet was hugely preferred. Admittedly a sample size of 16 people isn't statistically significant, but it's something to think about. There's a discussion about it in the thread on the forum.

No matter what the wallet, for most of us, one click installation wallet is a must.
I see a lot of people try to install the NXT wallet, but without understanding the manual configuration, and later gave it up.

absolutely agree with you.
Fatih87SK

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:42:31 AM

No matter what the wallet, for most of us, one click installation wallet is a must.
I see a lot of people try to install the NXT wallet, but without understanding the manual configuration, and later gave it up.

And let me add this... When you lose an investor it's 10 x harder to get them back.

xtester

Activity: 840

Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:59:31 AM

As it was said before, whatever we do with the wallet and app, our most important filters should be simplicity and ease of use. I am convinced this will be one of the important things that make or break Nem in the long run.

In other words a one click install client would be just great to begin with.
I also think maybe it would be interesting for the Nem client to have 2 skins. Meaning one simple and very user friendly interface with just a few basic options and another interface for the more advanced Nem guys where all the interesting options and features are included. This is just a thought.

An app would be great as well, and would be our 2nd major step for making Nem easy to use and accessible to the masses. If we manage to develop an app, maybe it will be good to make it public only sometime after la initial Nem client launch(2 weeks or so), just to keep the buzz about Nem alive. And yeah, lets not forget clean, simple and very user friendly.

In the big picture I think a very important feature and our 3rd major step should be a hardware wallet. If we manage to develop a hardware wallet within a year or so, then this would add a great deal of value to the Nem Ecosystem.

In any case I am very optimistic about Nem. With each passing day it all looks more promising. 

On a side note we should try to keep this intelligent and friendly spirit that we share and make it one of the core values of our community. This is a rare thing and as the community grows values like this will keep us away from self-destruction.
j23a

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:15:09 AM

Client have to be easily accessible, meaning that general people could adopt and use it. Notebooks and desktop computers aint nowadays even used in every household, i know many folks who just mainly use their tablets and smartphones. I dont know about rest of the world, but in Finland banks have very sophisticated clients/internetbanks and with all the NFC and other mobile payments systems, competition is fierce.
Certainly NEM have to be better than those systems of we want to create complete currency system/finance platform.
We definitely shouldn't forget about smartphone users here. It's a vast and growing market.

+1000

I think a smart device wallet should be THE focus of NEM.  Apps are the way all computers are moving.  The main stream app stores started with IOS and then Android, but even now the big players are in it.  Windows now has a app store, Mac has an App store, even Ubuntu has an app store!  And for smart devices, app stores are basically the only choice, and yes, it of course needs to be one click.  Whatever the interface, the guy from Finland makes great points.  I'll be fair, I spend a lot of time on my desktop, but people like me (and probably you are dinosaurs in a way).  I am a professor in another high tech country, and basically all of my students use their cell phones as their primary computing device.  There is no going back to the desktop after this.  The focus of the NEM client should 100% be mobile.  We need to launch with a great android app, and hopefully an IOS one too.  If not an IOS app, than a portal that can be accessed via IOS.  Yes, I know this is asking a lot.  It is also the way towards success.  

Personally I can't see anyone who only uses phone as their only device to be high tech people. I could see how a country like that could be a high tech country, where the casual users all have cell phones, because it's something that the culture can afford, but I wouldn't consider someone who just uses their phone and mainly checks face book, texts, and plays simple casual games to be high tech.

TBTSX4-NKRX55-HF2ECG-SHPBG3-XIDD2Y-QDRI3N-P2O6
nervozaur

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:41:38 AM

Client have to be easily accessible, meaning that general people could adopt and use it. Notebooks and desktop computers aint nowadays even used in every household, i know many folks who just mainly use their tablets and smartphones. I dont know about rest of the world, but in Finland banks have very sophisticated clients/internetbanks and with all the NFC and other mobile payments systems, competition is fierce.
Certainly NEM have to be better than those systems of we want to create complete currency system/finance platform.
We definitely shouldn't forget about smartphone users here. It's a vast and growing market.

+1000

I think a smart device wallet should be THE focus of NEM.  Apps are the way all computers are moving.  The main stream app stores started with IOS and then Android, but even now the big players are in it.  Windows now has a app store, Mac has an App store, even Ubuntu has an app store!  And for smart devices, app stores are basically the only choice, and yes, it of course needs to be one click.  Whatever the interface, the guy from Finland makes great points.  I'll be fair, I spend a lot of time on my desktop, but people like me (and probably you are dinosaurs in a way).  I am a professor in another high tech country, and basically all of my students use their cell phones as their primary computing device.  There is no going back to the desktop after this.  The focus of the NEM client should 100% be mobile.  We need to launch with a great android app, and hopefully an IOS one too.  If not an IOS app, than a portal that can be accessed via IOS.  Yes, I know this is asking a lot.  It is also the way towards success.  

Personally I can't see anyone who only uses phone as their only device to be high tech people. I could see how a country like that could be a high tech country, where the casual users all have cell phones, because it's something that the culture can afford, but I wouldn't consider someone who just uses their phone and mainly checks face book, texts, and plays simple casual games to be high tech.

Totally agree with j23a on this one. More so, i assume people expect less hacking to happen on mobile devices, but that's a lot easier to be done than on the pc (of a high tech person). I'm with jabo38 on the mobility factor, but until these smart devices get a lot more secure they won't have my trust in them in terms of banking.
lovekfc

Activity: 19

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 09:16:34 AM

https://i.imgur.com/2vPQMrC.png

And let me add this... When you lose an investor it's 10 x harder to get them back.

NCC is just the first step, this is a long-term project, more exciting products will come and we should be grateful to the NEM dev team for their hard work.
mattadc

Activity: 426
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 10:53:12 AM

+1000

What is the point in talking about high tech? Isn't the most important thing the user groups, which are interested in NEM and want to use it with THEIR devices.

Was it SomethingElse, who wrote about a very successful Mobile Money used in Africa? They used mainly phones.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
ashapasa

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 11:19:07 AM

M-Pesa I think it started in Kenya
bitsire

Activity: 223

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 11:21:16 AM

As far as wallet security goes, I have always thought that the wallet.dat file poses a huge unnecessary security risk (since malware or a hacker can easily scan the computer for wallet.dat). I think we should copy the approach that exocoin is taking when it comes to wallet security:

secure wallets: Using a random file (created by the gui/cmd tool) or a file of your choice (image, sound file, system file etc). Only you should know what file is needed for your authentication. Then you could store your 10,000 photos from your last holiday on an usb stick. Only you will know what special picture will unlock your account!

A secret file to unlock your account. Or at the very least, allow the user to create a custom name and filesystem location for the wallet.dat file.
mattadc

Activity: 426
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 11:24:47 AM

M-Pesa I think it started in Kenya

Yes, it was M-Pesa in Kenya.
Small fees and suitable "forging" might interest also Africans and other areas which are not so high tech.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
cryptonikus

Activity: 595

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 11:36:15 AM

As far as wallet security goes, I have always thought that the wallet.dat file poses a huge unnecessary security risk (since malware or a hacker can easily scan the computer for wallet.dat). I think we should copy the approach that exocoin is taking when it comes to wallet security:

secure wallets: Using a random file (created by the gui/cmd tool) or a file of your choice (image, sound file, system file etc). Only you should know what file is needed for your authentication. Then you could store your 10,000 photos from your last holiday on an usb stick. Only you will know what special picture will unlock your account!

A secret file to unlock your account. Or at the very least, allow the user to create a custom name and filesystem location for the wallet.dat file.

I know many people dont have any experience with electrum, but I have and I really dig that system. Basically, you have a seed passphraze, which is your key to bitcoins in blockchain. This system is very mobile, simple and you dont have to be afraid of hardware failure. It is encrypted aswell.

Features
Instant on: Your client does not download the blockchain, it uses a remote server.
Forgiving: Your wallet can be recovered from a secret seed.
Safe: Your seed or private keys are not sent to the server. Information received from the server is verified using SPV
No downtimes: Several public servers are available, you can switch instantly.
Ubiquitous: You can use the same wallet on different computers, it will auto-synchronize.
Cold Storage: You can have secure offline wallets and still safely spend from an online computer.
Open: You can export your private keys into other Bitcoin clients.
Tested and audited: Electrum is open source and was first released in November 2011.

https://electrum.org/

▄███████████████▄
       ▄██▀             ▀██▄
    ▄▄██▀                 ▀██▄▄
█████▀▀       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄    ▀▀█████
██          ▄▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▀█▄▄      ██
▐█▌       ▄▀ ▄▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▀▀▀███   ▐█▌
 ██      ▄▀▄▀▄▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀█ ▄█▀   ██
 ▐█▌    █▄▀▄▀▄█▀▀▀ ▀█▀ ▄▀▄▀█   ▐█▌
  ██    █▄▀▄▀▄▄█▀ ▄▀ ▄▀▄▀▄▀█   ██
  ▐█▌ ▀▄█████▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀█  ▐█▌
   ██▌▀████▀██▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▀ ▐██
    ██▌▀█▀▀█▄▀▀▄▀▀▄▄▀▄█▄▄█▀ ▐██
     ██▌ ▀  ▀███▄▄▄█████▀  ▐██
      ██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀      ▄██
       ▀██▄             ▄██▀
         ▀██▄         ▄██▀
           ▀██▄     ▄██▀
             ▀███▄███▀
               ▀███▀
.DeepOnion.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★  .❱❱❱ JOIN AIRDROP NOW!.
TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED
★  Your Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Your Assets Secured by TOR
★  Guard Your Privacy!
|Bitcointalk
Reddit
Telegram
|                        ▄▄▀▄▄▀▄▄▀▄▀▀
                    ▄▄██▀█▀▄▀▀▀
                  ▄██▄█▄██▀
                ▄██████▀
              ▄██████▀
  ▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
██████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀
 ▀█████  ▄███████
  ████████████▀██
  ██▀███████▀  ██
  ██ ▀████▀    ██
  ██   ▀▀      ██
  ▀█████████████▀
j23a

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:06:18 PM

+1000

What is the point in talking about high tech? Isn't the most important thing the user groups, which are interested in NEM and want to use it with THEIR devices.

Was it SomethingElse, who wrote about a very successful Mobile Money used in Africa? They used mainly phones.

My comment had nothing to do with Nem or Cryptoconcurrencies. It was simply a reply to someone's definition of high tech, and me giving my opinion of what I consider high tech.

j23a

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:08:38 PM

+1000

Totally agree with j23a on this one. More so, i assume people expect less hacking to happen on mobile devices, but that's a lot easier to be done than on the pc (of a high tech person). I'm with jabo38 on the mobility factor, but until these smart devices get a lot more secure they won't have my trust in them in terms of banking.

Something that should definitely be added when Nem is released is a MD5 & SHA Checksum, so that people can verify that the download is legit.

j23a

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:10:25 PM

So true, so true. Something like using a keyfile with TruCrypt.

Pages: « 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 ... 484 »
  Print  

Jump to: