Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:20:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 [974] 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:58:05 PM

OK, Too lazy to setup irc for tiperino, So any Seahawk fan that I trust wants to bet with me on superbowl?

You can get to IRC via a website:

https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net

You will have to register to NickServ the first time though, to create an account:

/msg nickserv register YOURPASSWORD YOUREMAIL

Currently about 100 monero are on this game.

Oh, there'll be bets setup for the six nations rugby games soon for those interested Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 11:21:11 PM

Ducknote/Bytecoin shill evidently feels threatened and is getting emotional.  Good sign of things going in the right direction.

How about all cryptonote devs and backers not act like pre-teens.
WAT?!?!? Why? Smiley Maybe their behavior is ahead of time and everybody will act like this soon. Smiley

dNote: You guys should really, really do these three things.

- Explain the motivation and greater strategy/vision, behind your various mostly non-sustainable commercial and community projects, around CN.

- Stop creating pretended neutral, objective community websites, projects or organizations around CN. With the intent to abuse them, to promote your projects, securing your information superiority around CN and preventing the creation of a real community around CN (you wont control 100% anymore).

Your behavior is harming CryptoNote-technology. It's already visible, many CN users and people interested in CN tech are refusing to work with you and/or don't care about your ideas/next plans for the tech dev, community development or the announcement of yet another coin, out of your CryptoNote-coin-generator. Most serious people I talked with just labeled you guys as crazy and not trust-worthy.

Open up and talk and exchange with the CN-users, researcher and devs. If not, nobody will care for any of your projects or work related to CN technology.

- Reevaluate your opinion about Monero. There is absolutely no reason for your aggression against the project or your activities to sabotage Moneros development.
At least accept Monero and be neutral.
No one is talking about cooperations or team members becoming friends and exchanging christmas cards. Just stop the bullshit. And use your resources and time for something positive.
Monero is the biggest CN coin, has a fair setup, is very open & democratic and is hurting no one. No valid reasons to hate. Last but not least, if you disavow or not, the whole CN eco-system and your own CN-based projects are benefiting from the software development and infrastructure creation that is done by The Monero Project.

This is my 100% unbiased opinion and 0% influenced by my decision to support Monero. Don't reply, just really think about it. If u really care about CN technology sooner or later you will see these three points are without alternatives, if you want to stay part of CN mid-term development & future.

... just unfair. As always.

1. Explain the motivation and greater strategy/vision, behind your various mostly non-sustainable commercial and community projects, around CN.

- explained many times, will do it  again- our ONLY project is XDN = duckNOTE = DarkNOTE. Motivation = launching new FREE economy >70% of emission in the very first to open it to free markets, to exclude the miners influence and eventually to implement PoS on the top of fair PoS.

2. The only websites we are working on are websites around XDN. And we will make lots of projects around/  Soon you will see the results.

3. All you statement is about XDN devs affiliation with CN devs and other coins devs. Again and again and again, how can you be such a Morono lovers, XDN devs are independent individuals cooperated for a long time, and have a long experience in cryptos, but not here on forums. Actually it took a quite a long time to understand your blaming when it initially occurs, some a parts of our team are still saying : whaaaat?
As  i can understand, according to your logic, all who are not a Monero devs, are Bytecoin devs. Sorry, we are not.

As for me - monero is a biggest bubble, because there is only speculation about it, blockchain is unusable with its size, IMO almost everything about monero seems terrible - unusable blockchain size (On average PC, it just can`t be a network node), block intervals, tx generation size,  fee size, no GUI after almost 1 year since start,  totally wrong way of development, looks like just no understanding of CN technology.

"software development and infrastructure creation that is done by The Monero Project. " lol you are confirming my words - XRM devs can`t develop the coin, because of low technology understanding, they just make some poor services around original source code, like closed source web wallets.
There is nothing that monero gives to cryptocurrency world, except the wrong way in understanding the new technology, such a pity.

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 11:23:52 PM

One reason you will find a large % of 0.1 transaction fees is because that what Poloniex charges for withdrawals.

They did not change their fee when the per KB fees were instituted.  When I asked over a month ago they had no plans to change it.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 11:28:13 PM

3 pennies is a high fee? Thats like free, XMR wasnt meant for micropayments.  Go shill in your own thread bud.  Your desperation is just pathetic.

All my recent transfers from my wallets cost me less than a fiat penny.

I will repeat. IMO Monero fees are extremely high, lets look:

Average XMR transaction: http://chainradar.com/xmr/transaction/bb902735207abdee5c8549133e9b0083e289813443b1be472ccba5acec3e49d0
Fee = 0.1 XMR

https://www.cryptonator.com/rates/XMR-USD/0.1

With current XMR rate fee = 0.02986642, almost 3 penny, man

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 11:28:51 PM

AFAIK there was never any evidence or even reasonable hints of Darknote having any link to the CN scam, so maybe we should all relax on this.

There is really no need for any hostility either side. Hostility is often what prevails in altcoin land and the monero community has always been largely different, let's try to keep it that way!

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 12:16:17 AM

I'm not sure where this 0.03-0.10 range comes from. There are plenty of 0.01 transactions that are < 1 KB.  Here is one from within the past hour:

http://chainradar.com/xmr/block/1b4a04fd1f2ce2ebc52a962f9a3b2278e647f9c51a512e1062a374a214db3178

It is even possible to have small transactions with mixins that still come in < 1 KB (so 0.01 fee) if they have a small number of intputs and outputs, though this one doesn't.

As for people not bothering to upgrade I think that says a lot about the perceived cost of the fees. 3 US cents seems to not concern a lot of folks if they can't bother to download an update.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 12:39:54 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2015, 01:59:22 AM by generalizethis

Have a great SuperBowl day guys! Smiley

To you too. I wish they won't run it on a Saturday afternoon in the US, as that makes it the night to Monday for Europe and Africa, which is just very inconvenient. Why not Saturday afternoon? Sad

One answer I found was that advertisers want you sober for the commercials and a Sunday evening keeps most people sober (or at least more so) because you have to work Monday.

Also Superbowl Sunday is trademarked and playing it on Sunday is tradition which is treated as Holy to some people.The early super bowls were never the global events that they are today and didn't have to consider the time differential, so what to do about it now? Change the date and risk losing advertising dollars or pissing off your core demographic? I think the NFL MEW had a 100% vote to keep it as is.

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 02:08:17 AM

Calling BinaryFate

This sadly seems the consensus at r/bitcoin

"[–]dangero 29 points 7 hours ago
You can't track every single satoshi. Multiple inputs can be combined into a single output. At that point you cannot say which satoshi came from which input. Once they're mixed like that you can't separate them again and say which part came from where. It's like pouring multiple smaller cups of water into one larger cup. Once they are combined and mixed you can't provably separate them again. Even if you pour half out into another cup, who is to say where that half originally came from? Bitcoin is absolutely fungible."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2uew9j/bitcoin_is_a_finite_resource_like_land_if_you_own/

I know it's wrong, but I'm not sure I know how wrong it is.

kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 02:22:02 AM

This doesnt protect who sends, only the receiver, that can later use the bitcoins to do whatever, but can be put in a list as receiver of "bad coins", this is the problem with the traceability.
sorryforthat

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 02:45:13 AM

To you too. I wish they won't run it on a Saturday afternoon in the US, as that makes it the night to Monday for Europe and Africa, which is just very inconvenient. Why not Saturday afternoon? Sad

One answer I found was that advertisers want you sober for the commercials and a Sunday evening keeps most people sober (or at least more so) because you have to work Monday.

I and everyone else I work with have Monday off because they know thats not going to be the case.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 02:51:43 AM

What is the estimated maximum transactions per second (TPS) of the monero network / protocol?

i've bitcoin is currently 7 TPS. Monero is?Huh

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 03:39:05 AM

What is the estimated maximum transactions per second (TPS) of the monero network / protocol?

There is no hard protocol-defined limit the way there is in Bitcoin. In the original Cryptonote white paper, hard coded constants are given as a reason to want to improve on Bitcoin. (Sections 2.4 and 6.2.2 at least.)

What the limits turn out to be in practice will a function of technology (bandwidth, storage, etc.) and how it is used.

arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 08:04:31 AM

Calling BinaryFate

You can't track every single satoshi. Multiple inputs can be combined into a single output. At that point you cannot say which satoshi came from which input. Once they're mixed like that you can't separate them again and say which part came from where. It's like pouring multiple smaller cups of water into one larger cup. Once they are combined and mixed you can't provably separate them again. Even if you pour half out into another cup, who is to say where that half originally came from? Bitcoin is absolutely fungible."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2uew9j/bitcoin_is_a_finite_resource_like_land_if_you_own/

The reddit poster is correct. Once you make a new transaction, you cannot tell which satoshi in the output came from which input. You can therefore not "follow" the way an individual satoshi took from its creation through the blockchain.

Now, keep in mind that this doesn't keep you from drawing some conclusions about the transactions/senders themselves. Even if we cannot track a single satoshi, by combining knowledge about multiple transactions you can sometimes figure out who sent what to whom.
arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 08:07:26 AM

There is no hard protocol-defined limit the way there is in Bitcoin. In the original Cryptonote white paper, hard coded constants are given as a reason to want to improve on Bitcoin. (Sections 2.4 and 6.2.2 at least.)

What the limits turn out to be in practice will a function of technology (bandwidth, storage, etc.) and how it is used.

Keep in mind that the limits in Bitcoin are not limitations of the protocol either. They are limits built into the reference client in order to prevent spam, and can be easily lifted ("easily" is of course a matter of discussion, see the debate around the max block size and the required fork Wink )
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 08:08:55 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2015, 10:06:13 AM by smooth

Calling BinaryFate

The reddit poster is correct. Once you make a new transaction, you cannot tell which satoshi in the output came from which input. You can therefore not "follow" the way an individual satoshi took from its creation through the blockchain.

Now, keep in mind that this doesn't keep you from drawing some conclusions about the transactions/senders themselves. Even if we cannot track a single satoshi, by combining knowledge about multiple transactions you can sometimes figure out who sent what to whom.

It is simpler than that. Unless some form of mixing is being used, every input of a tranasction has the same owner. So every such transaction and every output is directly linkable to that owner. If the owner is using stolen bitcoin or some other form of "bad" bitcoin then every output of that transaction is tainted.

If mixing is used, then you have the issues of effectiveness (are enough people using it at the same time, are their transactions of similar size) and trust (is the mixer going to steal your coins or keep records of which inputs correspond with which outputs).

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 08:12:03 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2015, 06:36:01 PM by smooth

Keep in mind that the limits in Bitcoin are not limitations of the protocol either. They are limits built into the reference client in order to prevent spam, and can be easily lifted ("easily" is of course a matter of discussion, see the debate around the max block size and the required fork Wink )

I disagree. The protocol as currently defined (by the code, though certainly the limit is also well known and well documented too) requires that all blocks be rejected if they exceed 1 MB. If you don't do this your blocks will be rejected (even if they aren't > 1 MB, if they build on blocks that are). It is not simply a matter of the reference client not creating 1 MB blocks itself. Every other client must follow the same rule or its blocks will be rejected. Even if a non-mining node doesn't create blocks but relays non-conforming blocks, it will be dropped and banned, so to participate in the network every relay node must also apply the same rule.

The reason a hard fork is needed is to change the protocol. That does not apply to Monero.

shitaifan2013
Legendary

Activity: 879

monero

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 09:23:36 AM

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Idunno?

OK, Too lazy to setup irc for tiperino, So any Seahawk fan that I trust wants to bet with me on superbowl?

I have 700 XMR and will put it on my pats straight up. No lines no gambling adjustments just straight up winner take all.

well I don't know much about handegg, but I'd be willing to bet 100XMR on the seahawks  Cool

deal?

Well I don't know you but your a hero member with no neg so I don't see why I can't take your word.

Your on, GL and Just an FYI, I called Wilson as a most underrated probable great in his rookie year (When everyone else was Keapernick crazy) because he's one smart bastard! Cheesy

gonna be a great game.

Anyone else speak up soon as I'll be leaving in an hour or so.

600 XMR left

ok, cool. gl dude!  Smiley

btw. since I'm in germany don't be surprised if I won't be online directly after the game, pretty sure I'll fall asleep while watching.

I'll be at casino for who knows how long so I will take awhile to pay as well. I'll be back sometime between tonight and Friday depending on how the Poker tables are treating me. Cheesy

congrats dude!  Cool shall I use the adress in your siganture to send the funds too?

stslimited

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 10:00:31 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2015, 10:11:52 AM by stslimited

How about a software upgrade where the software client replaces any user generated transaction's mixin parameter with 3, if the user does not enter a mixin or if mixin is less than 3

This will not require a hard fork.

I was looking at simplewallet.cpp but I'm not sure exactly where the code change would be https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/blob/master/src/simplewallet/simplewallet.cpp
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 10:18:07 AM

Calling BinaryFate

First of all, typically you can assume it is the same entity that had control over all inputs, if they include them in the same transaction.

Anyway, what you describe is true, and is technically the way bitcoin works. It means you cannot trace back every single satoshis to a given initial block X, and know their full history until they've reached their current destination. It does make bitcoin a little bit fungible, since you can't have perfect knowledge at the level of the smallest atomic values. Agree with you up to this point.
Now I disagree with your conclusion: you explain rightfully that bitcoin is at least a little bit fungible and conclude that it is thus fungible. Sophist logic to me. Unlike my fate, you cannot think of fungibility as being only a binary attribute. If it were, and I would follow the same logic as you do, I could easily demonstrate that bitcoin is not perfectly fungible, and would conclude that therefore it is not fungible at all. (A simple example of a drug dealer sending you bitcoins from a wallet later seized by authorities would do it...).

Fungibility is a complex property in the case of digital currencies. I don't think it's even just a linear scale on which you could "place" them, let alone as I said just a binary answer "yes it is", "no it is not". What is sure is that there is a very common overestimation of how strong bitcoin's fungibility actually is.

Think of it practically: if bitcoin's fungibility is already so good it suits all our needs, why do we have to trust mixers/tumblers that cost us money? If bitcoin's fungibility is already so good it suits all our needs, why do we have A. Poelstra and G. Maxwell working on strong and fundamental improvements? (see http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2oh7vq/toward_unlinkable_bitcoin_transactions_andrew/)

binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 10:22:48 AM

I think we tend to see less completely blind bitcoiners "bitcoin is completely fungible and anonymous" as before. But more and more "if you take sufficient precautions, you can hide your traces". Basically they're saying "if *I* can't trace something, therefore *nobody else* can, now and forever". Which is surprisingly naive.

Btw, we must be careful, I fear soon enough we'll see some "if you don't do evil, bitcoin is sufficiently private", which is a dangerous line of thoughts.

Pages: « 1 ... 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 [974] 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: