Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:54:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 [978] 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667219 times)
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 12:31:16 PM

are those the txids that bittrex gave you to deposit to?

usually with exchanges, if you want to deposit XMR, they provide a payment ID  (transaction ID, txID) - that way, when the XMR comes in, they know where it should go (I guess).

If you just picked a random txID and sent from polo -> bittrex, bittrex doesn't have that txID, so they don't know what they're looking for.

Have you tried sending those txIDS to bittrex?

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 12:32:06 PM

hi,guys, I am sure I put paymentid in and withdrawal XMR from poloniex to bittrex. but bittrex said "NONE of my transactions have included a payment id ". Is that the truth ? would you please help me figure out the problem?

2015/2/3 12:35 XMR 1 463tWEBn5XZJSxLU6uLQnQ2iY9xuNcDbjLSjkn3XAXHCbLrTTErJrBWYgHJQyrCwkNgYvyV3z8zctJL PCZy24jvb3NiTcTJ txid: c4448f2bf8027fa0f38c97c20ef75d2f11cab8317769f01042f61be0eb317c04

The first one at least does not have a payment ID.

http://chainradar.com/xmr/transaction/c4448f2bf8027fa0f38c97c20ef75d2f11cab8317769f01042f61be0eb317c04
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 12:35:56 PM

I wrote yesterday a long reply regarding the GUI wallet on Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/2uqsl6/why_is_the_official_gui_wallet_not_released_yet/

This is a recurring question, from long-time holders and newcomers alike.

There is a misunderstanding here and we have to confess we have not been performing very well at dispelling it.

Truth is we are not trying to merely create a GUI, as in a GUI wrapper. Fact is these simple wrappers already exist (Jojatekok's Windows GUI, Neozaru's Qt GUI, jwinterm's lightWallet and we could probably use Bitcoin wallet too).

What we are building is more than a wrapper, it is a full-fledged scalable GUI software. And scalable is the hard part, not GUI - remember, scalability is one of the three pillars of Monero.

What is scalable?
  • Mnemonic seed for increased security (why).
  • Low RAM footprint ("the DB", presently Symas Lightning MDB but later a lot others, since we built a database API).
  • e-commerce prerequisites, notably for payment processors.
  • Low bandwith footprint (a framework for SPV, like Electrum). The remote node provides a similar experience in that one doesn't have to download the whole blockchain, but this is where the similarities end and SPV would be lighter than a remote node.
  • Much better understood (thus secure) and refactored code. This is behind-the-scene stuff and not sexy, but when it comes to securing your money, this matters. The Monero Protocol is sound, but we are not that comfortable with the source code we inherited in April (and improved since then). Note: we are pretty demanding on security, so when we say that "we are not that comfortable", this means the security is already high, just not high enough Smiley
  • Gitian binaries
  • Various mainstream users niceties, such as an address book, an easy way to do bookeeping (including easily report to tax offices, because Monero is not meant just for l33t haX0r, but for everyone, including legal persons like corporations, NGO, political parties...)
  • Viewkey for optional transparency (see fluffy quote on Three Pilllars)
  • Have a solid foundation for easy improvements later on (like third-parties improvements). Because once the (scalable) GUI wallet will be there, we expect things to accelerate - and we rather be ready for the acceleration. Fasten your seatbelt, Dorothy.
Why is scalable important?
Because it is one of the three pillars Smiley

More seriously, because once the official GUI wallet will be there, visibility will increase a lot. Which means more users who know nothing about Monero and later not even about cryptocurrencies. These people won't give a second thought. One does only one first impression. It must be the right one. Hence the necessity for a wallet than can handle the load. Be scalable, not that much on a technical standpoint than on a, say, "political" standpoint.

We hope we answered your questions and, as always, don't hesitate to provide feedback. We'll do our best to make this even more clear if necessary.

This post was first published, in a slightly different version, as an answer to a commenter. Continue commenting, this is a great way to encourage us to write extensive replies!

Oh, one more thing: we do not have any release date for the GUI wallet, not even tentative. The only thing we can say is that the GUI wallet requires the database to be operational - and the database is progressing very well.

Update: some screenshots of the wallet some months ago:

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:42:34 PM

Great post Dave, good to keep peops up to date even if all they have todo is check the FAQ. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:43:57 PM

What exactly is the relation between https://xmrmonero.com/ and https://forum.monero.cc/? Which one is worth joining?
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 02:46:37 PM

Cross-posted from Reddit
If you follow Monero carefully, you may have heard the word OpenAlias, without really understanding what it is.

OpenAlias (openalias.org) is an open standard for simpler addresses for any crypto — "Simplifying the World" is its slogan.

As long as you have a domain name (I recommend Gandi), you can transform these unreadable 35 characters long addresses (or even 96 for Monero) into something much more human-readable, like donate.monero.cc. Zooko's triangle: squared.

"At its most basic, OpenAlias is a TXT DNS record on a FQDN (fully qualified domain name). By combining this with DNS-related technologies we have created an aliasing standard that is extensible for developers, intuitive and familiar for users, and can interoperate with both centralised and decentralised domain systems."

No risk of disappointments like "chris678". No risk of phishing like "poloniex". No risk of losing your alias because you lost your private key. To own the alias, you just own the domain name and that's all.

Raw address:
Code:
46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8aHYjA3jk3o1Bv16em

OpenAlias address:
Code:
donate.monero.cc

Any domain. Any crypto. Any address. Any time.

Any domain. You can use any domain name, ICANN-sanctionned or not, as long as it follows the DNS naming system. This means OpenAlias works with .bit (Namecoin) too (but not with .onion and .i2p)

Any crypto. Even if OpenAlias is a Monero Core Team creation, it works with other cryptocurrencies as well. In fact, it works with any crypto. So, yes, you can receive bitcoins, ripples, NXT... with OpenAlias.

Any address. You can use the same address for several cryptos. The alias for the Monero development fund is donate.monero.cc and it has both a Monero and a Bitcoin address. So you don't have to remember one address per crypto. Just one address. Note though that an entry must be created for every crypto, so don't send us dogecoins that way, it won't work :)Also, the reverse is true: you can have several aliases with the same address. For instance, you can send to "david.latapie.name" or "latapie.name", I configured both (here too, this is manual, so if you send to "www.latapie.name", it won't succeed - www is deprecated anyway).

Any time. You can change the address whenever you want, it won't break the alias.

OpenAlias is fully implemented in the latest version of simplewallet (0.8.8.6) and on mymonero.com. We are in discussion with Poloniex to have implemented (for outgoing transactions only). For the moment, Monero is the only cryptocurrency to implement OpenAlias.

OpenAlias follows exactly the Three Pillars of Monero. Privacy: DNSSEC and DNSCrypt compliant and we provide log-less resolvers (list on the website). Decentralisation: ready for Namecoin, DIANNA, P2P-DNS and other decentralised DNS. Scalability: Zooko's triangle and future-proof.

We hope to see many implementations of OpenAlias soon!

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 03:30:57 PM

DavidLatapie, you're producing some excellent literature. Thank you.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 03:58:41 PM

What exactly is the relation between https://xmrmonero.com/ and https://forum.monero.cc/? Which one is worth joining?

xmrmonero.com is a MEW project and is not a core team project (that is not to say that we don't support it or contribute to it or whatever).

The only sanctioned, official forum is forum.monero.cc

arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 04:41:04 PM

DavidLatapie, you're producing some excellent literature. Thank you.

Indeed, thanks a bunch!
Come-In-Behind

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 06:36:12 PM

Can anyone here spit out some ideas concerning websites that you think should be created around or focusing on Monero?
aerbax

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 06:45:22 PM

That site stinks of warez...

>>Buy
lol Cheesy

btw, is http://monero.wikia.com/ the official monero wiki? 

No, it's just something we use for aspects related to protocol and design development.

Can we setup wikimedia on monero.cc or xmrmonero.com (i see a wiki page there but it doesnt show me anything)  so we can start adding info? Then, when time comes, you guys can do whatever changes you want but some articles will be ready...

As a gentle reminder, I setup a wikimedia wiki at https://monerobase.com .  But, it appears that official team members are setting up their own wiki's and directing people there.  

If that's what the community prefers, I'll shutter mine and maybe try something else.  I'd like to help the community, but there's no sense in maintaining something that is better served by MEW or the official site.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 07:02:43 PM

no offend just a question: is monero monday (?) missive posted at another place or is there a new way to update the community?

They currently go here first I think:
https://forum.monero.cc/1/news-and-announcements

They are then cross-posted into this thread.

If your concern is "hey I haven't seen a missive in a while" its because, in general, the dev team has moved to publishing missives after milestones are achieved.

In essence, the gist is "let the dev team dev", because I think the milestones are getting relatively more difficult to achieve compared to the first months of existence, where im assuming things were relatively easier, but Im just making this stuff up.

I'm trying to compile a weekly report by keeping an eye on the IRC channel and collecting useful thread posts.

So, since last monday, when I got this idea, here are some notable developments and posts that I've collected:
--------

"we're remerging/updating daemonize, working on RPC -> IPC (via 0MQ), beginning the refactor/extrapolation to libraries, and working on non-64-bit comparability. This is all directly related to the GUI effort"

There are apparently two mul128 implementations (whatever that is); fluffy was looking for insight into which one should be kept

There was general chatter on the non-dev monero channel about creating a faucet.

And my LMDB version of bitmonerod is still running fine (3 weeks now?)
-----------

with the blessing of the dev team (and/or the community, whatever), I could deidentify stuff and try to make a nice little published package. Be the "reporter" of XMR based on what I come across. Won't be as pretty as fluffy's.

I personally would like this and I think a considerable amount of less technical monero followers as well. I hope the dev team approve this so we can see a nice little update every week from what happens on irc/github.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 07:04:54 PM

Btw, I think this got burried in the altcoin section, so crossposting it:

Feature request: Please add a date column to the transactions list. Smiley

I'll add support for that as soon as I can retrieve it from the core RPC.

Until then, here is an update I've just posted on the #monero-dev IRC channel:

[17:32] <Jojatekok> hi
[17:33] <Jojatekok> I've decided to try porting Monero API .NET to a PCL (portable class library) project
[17:33] <Jojatekok> thus, it could run on Linux (Mono .NET), Windows Store apps, XBox, and whatever
[17:33] <Jojatekok> even on phones
[17:34] <Jojatekok> that way, real mobile wallet applications could be written in Xamarin in the future Smiley
[17:34] <Jojatekok> (including Windows Phone, iOS, and Android too!)
[17:35] <Jojatekok> but this means that assembly management (exe file loading and closing) has to be put in a separate package
[17:35] <Jojatekok> thus, providing convenience for PC app developers
[17:35] <Jojatekok> basically, a single API could just cover every platform Smiley
[17:36] <Jojatekok> thus, providing a new era for Monero application development Cheesy
[17:36] <Jojatekok> it will take some time to execute all the porting, but has just started
[17:36] <Jojatekok> and I'll be working on the project every time I have some spare time Wink
[17:37] <Jojatekok> I would like to ask the core devs to provide RPC commands for everything (including wallet file creation)
[17:38] <Jojatekok> thus, GUI development could be separated from core dev even in the future

&

Thanks for all the feedback provided! Right now, I'm working on fully separating the API part from the GUI, thus, I've created a new GitHub repository for Monero API .NET, which could be used by merchant services to easily utilize Monero core functions from the Microsoft .NET programming languages.

I've just gone on a 1-week holiday, though, but will try to continue the developments as soon as I have time (for instance, airplanes are perfect places for this task Smiley).

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 07:08:59 PM

I wrote yesterday a long reply regarding the GUI wallet on Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/2uqsl6/why_is_the_official_gui_wallet_not_released_yet/

This is a recurring question, from long-time holders and newcomers alike.

There is a misunderstanding here and we have to confess we have not been performing very well at dispelling it.

Truth is we are not trying to merely create a GUI, as in a GUI wrapper. Fact is these simple wrappers already exist (Jojatekok's Windows GUI, Neozaru's Qt GUI, jwinterm's lightWallet and we could probably use Bitcoin wallet too).

What we are building is more than a wrapper, it is a full-fledged scalable GUI software. And scalable is the hard part, not GUI - remember, scalability is one of the three pillars of Monero.

What is scalable?
  • Mnemonic seed for increased security (why).
  • Low RAM footprint ("the DB", presently Symas Lightning MDB but later a lot others, since we built a database API).
  • e-commerce prerequisites, notably for payment processors.
  • Low bandwith footprint (a framework for SPV, like Electrum). The remote node provides a similar experience in that one doesn't have to download the whole blockchain, but this is where the similarities end and SPV would be lighter than a remote node.
  • Much better understood (thus secure) and refactored code. This is behind-the-scene stuff and not sexy, but when it comes to securing your money, this matters. The Monero Protocol is sound, but we are not that comfortable with the source code we inherited in April (and improved since then). Note: we are pretty demanding on security, so when we say that "we are not that comfortable", this means the security is already high, just not high enough Smiley
  • Gitian binaries
  • Various mainstream users niceties, such as an address book, an easy way to do bookeeping (including easily report to tax offices, because Monero is not meant just for l33t haX0r, but for everyone, including legal persons like corporations, NGO, political parties...)
  • Viewkey for optional transparency (see fluffy quote on Three Pilllars)
  • Have a solid foundation for easy improvements later on (like third-parties improvements). Because once the (scalable) GUI wallet will be there, we expect things to accelerate - and we rather be ready for the acceleration. Fasten your seatbelt, Dorothy.
Why is scalable important?
Because it is one of the three pillars Smiley

More seriously, because once the official GUI wallet will be there, visibility will increase a lot. Which means more users who know nothing about Monero and later not even about cryptocurrencies. These people won't give a second thought. One does only one first impression. It must be the right one. Hence the necessity for a wallet than can handle the load. Be scalable, not that much on a technical standpoint than on a, say, "political" standpoint.

We hope we answered your questions and, as always, don't hesitate to provide feedback. We'll do our best to make this even more clear if necessary.

This post was first published, in a slightly different version, as an answer to a commenter. Continue commenting, this is a great way to encourage us to write extensive replies!

Oh, one more thing: we do not have any release date for the GUI wallet, not even tentative. The only thing we can say is that the GUI wallet requires the database to be operational - and the database is progressing very well.

Update: some screenshots of the wallet some months ago:
Thank you for this.

Donation incoming.
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 07:27:44 PM

Can anyone here spit out some ideas concerning websites that you think should be created around or focusing on Monero?
I started a list of what exists. It is incomplete (only by because of oversight, no political agenda here). This could help defining what else is needed.

https://xmrmonero.com/?q=wiki/en/monero-tools

(promised, we are working on fixing these questions marks)

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 08:40:49 PM

xmrmonero.com is a MEW project and is not a core team project (that is not to say that we don't support it or contribute to it or whatever).

To expand a bit about MEW for those who may be new, MEW = Monero Economy Workgroup, an open membership group that supports and promotes Monero adoption. Anyone can join. You can find out more on xmrmonero.com or https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=776479.0
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 09:32:28 PM

To expand a bit about MEW for those who may be new, MEW = Monero Economy Workgroup, an open membership group that supports and promotes Monero adoption. Anyone can join. You can find out more on xmrmonero.com or https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=776479
Also here: https://xmrmonero.com/?q=faq-page#t9n44
MEW stands for Monero Economy Workgroup and had its own thread, Monero Economy Workgroup

There are two sides of the Monero coin. Obverse is the core team, devoted to the technology i.e. coding. Reverse is MEW, devoted to the economy i.e. encouraging adoption, business opportunities… Let's extend the metaphor: the edges of the coin are the gray area where coding and economy overlap. The emission curve is such a gray area.

The core team works internally under the collegiality (peer) governance system and externally under the benevolent dictatorship (for life) model. MEW works internally under the weighted voting governance system and has not (at least for now) any external governance system.

The Core team and MEW are independant of each others: no group can force the other to change its mind. A vote from the MEW doesn't imply the core team has to abide; in reverse, if the core team asks the MEW to do something, MEW is not obliged to follow suit. Therefore, no one feels like being controlled by the other. If a post seemed to imply than one govering body rules above the other, it would be a misinterpretation and should be replied to by pointing to this FAQ entry.
Any one who wants to join PM me (not because I am a core dev, but because I am the member executive of MEW).

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 11:41:26 PM

>>Buy
lol Cheesy

No, it's just something we use for aspects related to protocol and design development.

Can we setup wikimedia on monero.cc or xmrmonero.com (i see a wiki page there but it doesnt show me anything)  so we can start adding info? Then, when time comes, you guys can do whatever changes you want but some articles will be ready...

As a gentle reminder, I setup a wikimedia wiki at https://monerobase.com .  But, it appears that official team members are setting up their own wiki's and directing people there.  

If that's what the community prefers, I'll shutter mine and maybe try something else.  I'd like to help the community, but there's no sense in maintaining something that is better served by MEW or the official site.

that looks fantastic!

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 11:43:42 PM

To expand a bit about MEW for those who may be new, MEW = Monero Economy Workgroup, an open membership group that supports and promotes Monero adoption. Anyone can join. You can find out more on xmrmonero.com or https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=776479.0

Not true, you have to pay to vote which precludes the term open.

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 12:48:01 AM

>>Buy
lol Cheesy

Can we setup wikimedia on monero.cc or xmrmonero.com (i see a wiki page there but it doesnt show me anything)  so we can start adding info? Then, when time comes, you guys can do whatever changes you want but some articles will be ready...

that looks fantastic!

its the best looking monero info website, xmrmonero would be much better with this design.

Yeah dude, I'd stick with it. It looks great. I think the more sites the better. Some people like one design, some like others. Good to have choices. Just keep it up to date. Perhaps one thing to try and get goin is some kind of info feed, such that a single push gets it out on all avenues.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Pages: « 1 ... 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 [978] 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: