Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:59:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667216 times)
equipoise

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 07:41:36 PM

Anyone took this free class? Surveillance Law - Stanford University

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:11:50 PM

One of the things I'm looking forward to with smart mining is seeing what sort of increase we may get when it is released. It will give a real sense of how many people are actually using XMR. People using it locally will be fairly likely to mine to at least support the network. Speculators who keep their coins on exchanges and never really plan on using it as a currency, not so much.
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:17:41 PM

One of the things I'm looking forward to with smart mining is seeing what sort of increase we may get when it is released. It will give a real sense of how many people are actually using XMR. People using it locally will be fairly likely to mine to at least support the network. Speculators who keep their coins on exchanges and never really plan on using it as a currency, not so much.

I think the most promising thing with smart mining is, besides decentralization, that you open the club - you do not neccessarily need to buy in any more to become a member, I think this will dramatically increase the user base.
primer-
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:18:02 PM

Well it's not going to happen, the smart mining idea was abandoned.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:20:59 PM

Do you know something we don't? It is still in the development goals (even on currently in development) -> http://getmonero.org/design-goals/

EDIT: Another poll -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=991637.0

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
primer-
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:24:45 PM

Do you know something we don't? It is still in the development goals (even on currently in development) -> http://getmonero.org/design-goals/

We've been waiting for the DB/GUI for almost a year. Smart mining is not going to happen anytime soon, we are talking years here...
Unless more competent developers take over...
dreamspark

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:27:51 PM

We've been waiting for the DB/GUI for almost a year. Smart mining is not going to happen anytime soon, we are talking years here...

Well DB is here, you can use it yourself right now...
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:31:16 PM

And this is why I have him on ignore. Don't even bother quoting him.

Anyone took this free class? Surveillance Law - Stanford University

LOL, Must enable java script. Hah why so they can surveill? Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
dreamspark

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:36:45 PM

I think the most promising thing with smart mining is, besides decentralization, that you open the club - you do not neccessarily need to buy in any more to become a member, I think this will dramatically increase the user base.

While this is true, your not really going to see much of an income of coins with smart mining due to the low hash rate you will have. This will be an even smaller % of the network as it gets more hash rate overall.
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:43:40 PM

While this is true, your not really going to see much of an income of coins with smart mining due to the low hash rate you will have. This will be an even smaller % of the network as it gets more hash rate overall.

there was this huge discussion over here that mining should never make sense in economic terms aka it should always be ev- without intertemporal aspects.

more importantly than the economic aspect is that it should be possible - which is at this point for almost everyone not possible with btc.
dreamspark

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:47:58 PM

there was this huge discussion over here that mining should never make sense in economic terms aka it should always be ev- without intertemporal aspects.

more importantly than the economic aspect is that it should be possible - which is at this point for almost everyone not possible with btc.

I completely agree, I don't mean that smart mining is going to make you money over electricity costs just that it will likely make you dust if the hashrate was to seriously increase which it really needs to to secure the network, its still *fairly* cheap to gain a significant amount of hashing power at the moment.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:49:38 PM

Depends on the value of the coin. It is a bit of a contradiction to assume the hash rate grows a lot and the coin value doesn't. You won't ever get steady income that is true, but it can become a potentially significant lottery/raffle/sweepstakes.

dreamspark

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 10:00:07 PM

Depends on the value of the coin. It is a bit of a contradiction to assume the hash rate grows a lot and the coin value doesn't. You won't ever get steady income that is true, but it can become a potentially significant lottery/raffle/sweepstakes.

On the contrary, as I said above the hash rate needs to grow to support a higher value coin where there is then an economic incentive to attack it and to acquire a significant portion of the current hash rate for a short period of time is fairly cheap. If  you liken it to a lottery etc, is the assumption then that smart mining will be solo and not as part of a p2p pool? Your 20 h/s or whatever you are likely to achieve giving away a small portion of your cpu power should be somewhat relative to the value of the coin then and now. Now your 20 H/s will get you more of a lower value coin and in the future will get you less of a higher value coin.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 10:08:27 PM

If  you liken it to a lottery etc, is the assumption then that smart mining will be solo and not as part of a p2p pool?

Initially sure because there is no p2p pool. If a p2p pool gets developed then smart mining can certainly support that. There is another novel solution that gives something of the best of both worlds (currently nonexistent in any coin) but that certainly won't show up right away either.

Your 20 h/s or whatever you are likely to achieve giving away a small portion of your cpu power should be somewhat relative to the value of the coin then and now. Now your 20 H/s will get you more of a lower value coin and in the future will get you less of a higher value coin.

Exactly. BTW, most modern CPUs configured properly (and part of smart mining will be to make sure everything is as close to properly configured as possible automatically) are well above 20 h/s, more like 60-200+. But that doesn't change anything qualititively.
dreamspark

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 10:22:53 PM

If  you liken it to a lottery etc, is the assumption then that smart mining will be solo and not as part of a p2p pool?

Initially sure because there is no p2p pool. If a p2p pool gets developed then smart mining can certainly support that. There is another novel solution that gives something of the best of both worlds (currently nonexistent in any coin) but that certainly won't show up right away either.

I'd think it would be wise to get some sort of p2p pool going with smart mining. The chances of finding a block solo with a small hash rate are such that people may be tempted not to bother.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 10:34:36 PM

I'd think it would be wise to get some sort of p2p pool going with smart mining. The chances of finding a block solo with a small hash rate are such that people may be tempted not to bother.

The whole point of smart mining is that it isn't something people bother with at all. It just happens, and it is unobtrusive enough there is no reason for people to turn it off. It's just part of how the software works, like nearly every p2p system in existence with the exception of bitcoin.

Pool or no pool, a single computer will yield next to nothing and there is no reason for people, individually, to bother. This is not about "being a miner" it is about harnessing the power of (many) people who aren't miners doing mining.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 10:37:56 PM

The whole point of smart mining is that it isn't something people bother with at all. It just happens, and it is unobtrusive enough there is no reason for people to turn it off. It's just part of how the software works, like nearly every p2p system in existence with the exception of bitcoin.

Pool or no pool, a single computer will yield next to nothing and there is no reason for people, individually, to bother. This is not about "being a miner" it is about people who aren't miners doing mining.
[/quote]

@smooth i think you are right about that everybody should mine and if that would be the case they wouldn't / shouldn't really care.

neverthless i hope for a p2pool implementation (best would be directly inside reference client) as i have the hope that it could lead to more and smaller poolers.

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 10:51:14 PM

Pool or no pool, a single computer will yield next to nothing and there is no reason for people, individually, to bother. This is not about "being a miner" it is about people who aren't miners doing mining.

@smooth i think you are right about that everybody should mine and if that would be the case they wouldn't / shouldn't really care.

neverthless i hope for a p2pool implementation (best would be directly inside reference client) as i have the hope that it could lead to more and smaller poolers.
[/quote]

I mine with a single quadcore CPU and Radeon 7970 - probably generates 1 XMR every 2 days and costs me more than it would to buy them. Just like running SETI@Home or other distributed computing projects, not all actions need be profit motivated although I acknowledge that the network effects are significantly higher for those that are.

dreamspark

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 11:01:11 PM

Pool or no pool, a single computer will yield next to nothing and there is no reason for people, individually, to bother. This is not about "being a miner" it is about harnessing the power of (many) people who aren't miners doing mining.

Yeah, I agree. But whats unobtrusive enough. 10% of cpu 30%. What about the time I need all my cpu power and it becomes intrusive, I turn it off and do I bother turning it back on again. I'm completely on board the idea I'm not trying to discredit it. I'm just thrashing some POV's around.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 11:04:16 PM

If  you liken it to a lottery etc, is the assumption then that smart mining will be solo and not as part of a p2p pool?

Yeah, I agree. But whats unobtrusive enough. 10% of cpu 30%. What about the time I need all my cpu power and it becomes intrusive, I turn it off and do I bother turning it back on again. I'm completely on board the idea I'm not trying to discredit it. I'm just thrashing some POV's around.

I don't know the exact tuning parameters that will be used, and I would expect them to be adjusted over time as needed but the key functions at the start will be:

1. Disable mining quickly if CPU is being used for something else.
2. Disable mining on battery power

and probably

3. Throttle or restrict cores used for mining somewhat to limit thermal/noise impact.

Overall the goal is not to maximize mining throughput but to have some mining with a minimum footprint. If you are mining for profit you will probably choose different tradeoffs.
Pages: « 1 ... 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: