Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:27:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 [1807] 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 ... 2122 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4666911 times)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4861

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:22:33 PM

Article on North Korea cyber capabilities mentions them hacking crypto exchanges and converting BTC to XMR:
https://www.boston.com/news/world-news/2017/10/16/the-world-once-laughed-at-north-korean-cyber-power-no-more

More recently, North Koreans seemed to have changed tack once again. North Korean hackers’ fingerprints showed up in a series of attempted attacks on cryptocurrency exchanges in South Korea, and were successful in at least one case, according to researchers at FireEye.

The attacks on Bitcoin exchanges, which see hundreds of millions of dollars worth of Bitcoin exchanged a day, offered Pyongyang a potentially very lucrative source of new funds. And, researchers say, there is evidence they have been exchanging Bitcoin gathered from their heists for Monero, a highly anonymous version of cryptocurrency that is far harder for global authorities to trace.

I guess all news is good news. Lol

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Millionero

Activity: 806
Merit: 423

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:51:48 PM

Just another day in you data is not safe land, here's one for all you guys who want to use android wallets and run your Linux boxes over WPA2.

As a proof-of-concept we executed a key reinstallation attack against an Android smartphone. In this demonstration, the attacker is able to decrypt all data that the victim transmits. For an attacker this is easy to accomplish, because our key reinstallation attack is exceptionally devastating against Linux and Android 6.0 or higher. This is because Android and Linux can be tricked into (re)installing an all-zero encryption key (see below for more info). When attacking other devices, it is harder to decrypt all packets, although a large number of packets can nevertheless be decrypted. In any case, the following demonstration highlights the type of information that an attacker can obtain when performing key reinstallation attacks against protected Wi-Fi networks:

https://www.krackattacks.com/
some relevant information
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/228519
http://www.zdnet.com/article/here-is-every-patch-for-krack-wi-fi-attack-available-right-now/
profitgenerator212

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 03:56:23 AM

Hey I have a serious question to the Monero community.

So after I realized that Dash is potentially inferior in every aspect, perhaps except the community aspect, but Monero is getting more mainstream too nowadays. And we know Zcash and others are bad too.

So Monero has all the cool features, privacy, anonymity, decent community (not full of shills and trolls) and a pretty good research and development team.

But there is 1 issue with Monero, a big one: SCALING

Why the hell does Monero align itself with the retarded small blocker camp? The more I research it, the more obvious it is to me that the small blockers in Bitcoin, Bitcoin Core, have just done horrible damage to Bitcoin's scalability and adoption (literally over 80% of the world earns less daily income than your BTC tx fee). In fact I think some Core developers have worked in Monero, so there is some tight alliance there.

I have heard some rumors about adding Segwit or something similar to Monero, when if you do any research on it, it clearly shows how inferior it is the soft fork segwit, it creates this colored coin environment controlled by the miners. We do bash Dash for it's masternode setup, but for some reason Segwit controlled by the miners is not a big deal.

Look I am no technical expert but every evidence points towards big blocks being the good scaling solution.

Can somebody, an expert, explain to me clearly and honestly why Monero does not go with the big block strategy?

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 1103

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 04:11:52 AM

Can somebody, an expert, explain to me clearly and honestly why Monero does not go with the big block strategy?[/b]

Monero has a dynamic block size. Blocks will increase in maximum capacity automagically as more transactions are included on a consistent basis. Of course, on chain scaling has limitations, so off-chain stuff like some kind of lightning implementation are being looked at as well I think.
elrippos friend

Activity: 1179
Merit: 210

only hodl what you understand and love!

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 05:02:30 AM

Just another day in you data is not safe land, here's one for all you guys who want to use android wallets and run your Linux boxes over WPA2.

As a proof-of-concept we executed a key reinstallation attack against an Android smartphone. In this demonstration, the attacker is able to decrypt all data that the victim transmits. For an attacker this is easy to accomplish, because our key reinstallation attack is exceptionally devastating against Linux and Android 6.0 or higher. This is because Android and Linux can be tricked into (re)installing an all-zero encryption key (see below for more info). When attacking other devices, it is harder to decrypt all packets, although a large number of packets can nevertheless be decrypted. In any case, the following demonstration highlights the type of information that an attacker can obtain when performing key reinstallation attacks against protected Wi-Fi networks:

Nice to read, thanks  Grin

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4861

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 05:04:04 AM

Hey I have a serious question to the Monero community.

So after I realized that Dash is potentially inferior in every aspect, perhaps except the community aspect, but Monero is getting more mainstream too nowadays. And we know Zcash and others are bad too.

So Monero has all the cool features, privacy, anonymity, decent community (not full of shills and trolls) and a pretty good research and development team.

Why the hell does Monero align itself with the retarded small blocker camp? The more I research it, the more obvious it is to me that the small blockers in Bitcoin, Bitcoin Core, have just done horrible damage to Bitcoin's scalability and adoption (literally over 80% of the world earns less daily income than your BTC tx fee). In fact I think some Core developers have worked in Monero, so there is some tight alliance there.

I have heard some rumors about adding Segwit or something similar to Monero, when if you do any research on it, it clearly shows how inferior it is the soft fork segwit, it creates this colored coin environment controlled by the miners. We do bash Dash for it's masternode setup, but for some reason Segwit controlled by the miners is not a big deal.

Look I am no technical expert but every evidence points towards big blocks being the good scaling solution.

Can somebody, an expert, explain to me clearly and honestly why Monero does not go with the big block strategy?

As JW pointed out Monero has Dynamic Scaling so we have no clue what your talking about when you say aligning ourselves with a small block "Side". Monero Devs may work with core Devs but thats because out of most alts Monero Devs are the ones that Core Devs take serious.

Monero takes no position on BTC it is it's own coin.

Nice to read, thanks  Grin

List of Firmware & Driver Updates for KRACK WPA2 Vulnerability

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/list-of-firmware-and-driver-updates-for-krack-wpa2-vulnerability/

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
raygchannel

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 05:07:22 AM

Anyone compiles it successfully on Mac OS?
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 06:36:52 AM
Last edit: October 17, 2017, 06:51:47 AM by Anon136

Why the hell does Monero align itself with the retarded small blocker camp? The more I research it, the more obvious it is to me that the small blockers in Bitcoin, Bitcoin Core, have just done horrible damage to Bitcoin's scalability and adoption (literally over 80% of the world earns less daily income than your BTC tx fee).

I know this isn't really the right place for it but I just really want to respond to this. I'm a small blocker myself. Let me explain why.

Increasing the block size IS NOT A SOLUTION to the scaling problem. We would run into unacceptable centralization pressures before we even began to approach blocks large enough to facilitate any acceptable level for a global currency. What it is is the illusion of a solution. What is so dangerous about the illusion of a solution is that it marginalizes the urgency of this problem. 1MB blocks is a very useful fire underneath everyone's asses. Once real solutions are developed than I'm all for safe increases in block size that parallel increases in network and data storage improvements if they work hand in hand with said real solutions. Until then I don't think it behooves us to remove that fire. Not if our main concern is the long term prospects of the crypto currency movement.

This position may very well be wrong. I am certainly wrong sometimes. But i'm confident that it is not immediately obvious that it is "retarded" and I think anyone who would claim that it is has not really been open minded to the arguments of their opposition.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
BitMarshall

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 09:34:11 AM

Why the hell does Monero align itself with the retarded small blocker camp? The more I research it, the more obvious it is to me that the small blockers in Bitcoin, Bitcoin Core, have just done horrible damage to Bitcoin's scalability and adoption (literally over 80% of the world earns less daily income than your BTC tx fee).

I know this isn't really the right place for it but I just really want to respond to this. I'm a small blocker myself. Let me explain why.

Increasing the block size IS NOT A SOLUTION to the scaling problem. We would run into unacceptable centralization pressures before we even began to approach blocks large enough to facilitate any acceptable level for a global currency. What it is is the illusion of a solution. What is so dangerous about the illusion of a solution is that it marginalizes the urgency of this problem. 1MB blocks is a very useful fire underneath everyone's asses. Once real solutions are developed than I'm all for safe increases in block size that parallel increases in network and data storage improvements if they work hand in hand with said real solutions. Until then I don't think it behooves us to remove that fire. Not if our main concern is the long term prospects of the crypto currency movement.

This position may very well be wrong. I am certainly wrong sometimes. But i'm confident that it is not immediately obvious that it is "retarded" and I think anyone who would claim that it is has not really been open minded to the arguments of their opposition.

I agree, you are completely right.
7jaka7

Activity: 628
Merit: 276

BTC, ETH, XMR, LTC

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 01:03:25 PM

I think this is general problem with blockchain currencies. But a lot of devs are working on this, daily. Many approaches have been found (Segwit, increasing block limit, lightning network and probably many others). And most of them are being tested. Time will tell what is best and then best solution will be implemented in most blockchains.

Technology must evolve, everything can't be solved in one day.

SECURE YOUR CRYPTO ASSETS | GET SOME FREE SATOSHI'S | TRADE ON BINANCE 
Disclaimer: All links are affiliate/refferal! Thank you for using them! Smiley
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 01:24:19 PM

Anyone compiles it successfully on Mac OS?

Could you be more specific about your issue(s)?

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 02:12:44 PM

Summary of the exploit is: its a man in the middle attack. They can smell your wireless network and then impersonate it on a different channel with a stronger signal. The vulnerable devices don't check properly to see if its still the same network.

Then you are happily plugging away at your computer, believing you are on your usual network nothing to see here.

Its the same reason I have never used public internet in café's etc., you never know what is the real hotspot and what is a guy with a powerful laptop.

walllaceee

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 04:27:10 PM

Alright so I hate to disrupt the flow of higher-level information being exchanged, however, I have a few basic/starter questions about Monero and crypto-currency trading in general.

Before I fully start investing a lot of time into this arena, monero specifically, what are the most important and most helpful concepts to learn about early on before high volume trading? I would like to have a decent understanding of Monero before getting too involved.

Additionally, my immediate attraction towards Monero is it relationship with successes in dark-web marketplaces. I believe strongly in their future successes and with Monero being a true anonymous cryptocurrency, as well as being used more I hope to see this as a great opportunity. Also does anyone have any opinions on the timing of getting into Monero now, has the major surges already happened, or is there plenty of room for growth in the next year or two.

Any helpful replies/opinions are greatly appreciated.

KleinerMiner

Activity: 20

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 04:50:05 PM

Hi!

Pretty sure this is a ridiculous question for you guys but i´m pretty new in mining (especially in monero mining).
I´m using claymore  Miner and everything is working stable and fine.
Also the rigs Performance is (i think) okay... 8x sapphire nitro rx 580 8gb with roundabout 5700-5800h/s with sucking ~940W from wall.

The only weird Thing is that the miner shows me lots (i mean really lots) of "Dev Fee Share Found" Messages.
I mean nearly every line says Dev Fee. wtf!?

Is this normal? On the other side nanopool.org tells me roundabout "correct" hash power.
Are there any hints regarding this question?

https://imgur.com/a/3blma

tia, KleinerMeiner
garytheasshole

Activity: 406
Merit: 105

Chosŏn Minjujuŭi Inmin Konghwaguk

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2017, 04:54:32 PM

Hi!

Pretty sure this is a ridiculous question for you guys but i´m pretty new in mining (especially in monero mining).
I´m using claymore  Miner and everything is working stable and fine.
Also the rigs Performance is (i think) okay... 8x sapphire nitro rx 580 8gb with roundabout 5700-5800h/s with sucking ~940W from wall.

The only weird Thing is that the miner shows me lots (i mean really lots) of "Dev Fee Share Found" Messages.
I mean nearly every line says Dev Fee. wtf!?

Is this normal? On the other side nanopool.org tells me roundabout "correct" hash power.
Are there any hints regarding this question?

tia, KleinerMeiner

Try this thread instead https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=638915.4840;topicseen
You can disable the fee as a trade off to allegedly slower miner with -nofee 1 but I really don't notice any difference on pool side. Or you can be a dick about it and use something like netsed to replace the dev's address with your own as shares are submitted Cheesy

KleinerMiner

Activity: 20

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 04:56:09 PM

gnaaa, dont wanna be a dick, just finding it weird that "Dev Fee" Pops up that much...

thanks, will try the ther thread.

NrX

Activity: 770
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 05:08:15 PM

Anonymous coins demand will not increase but we will see them usage more in future. These one two well established and trusted coins like Monero will be big winners. Tighten regulations and institutional attacks on cryptocoins will cause of this trend very soon.
BurntSnow

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

GET IN - Smart Ticket Protocol - Live in market!

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 05:12:57 PM

I lost some money when I trade with Monero. However, I still trust it, because the team works hard for the developments and also I can not make a relationship between my fault and the project.

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
   ████     ███     ███   ██
 ███  ███     █████████████████
███     ███     ███           ██
 ███      ███     ██          ██
   ███      ██████████      ███
     ███      ██████      ███
       ███      ██      ███
         ███          ███
           ███      ███
             ███  ███
               ████

GUTS
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

smart-ticket protocol for events
live product with market traction!
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

BTC ANN
  WEBSITE
  BLOG

SANDBOX
  WHITEPAPER
  BOUNTY

Millionero

Activity: 806
Merit: 423

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 05:48:03 PM

Alright so I hate to disrupt the flow of higher-level information being exchanged, however, I have a few basic/starter questions about Monero and crypto-currency trading in general.

Before I fully start investing a lot of time into this arena, monero specifically, what are the most important and most helpful concepts to learn about early on before high volume trading? I would like to have a decent understanding of Monero before getting too involved.

Additionally, my immediate attraction towards Monero is it relationship with successes in dark-web marketplaces. I believe strongly in their future successes and with Monero being a true anonymous cryptocurrency, as well as being used more I hope to see this as a great opportunity. Also does anyone have any opinions on the timing of getting into Monero now, has the major surges already happened, or is there plenty of room for growth in the next year or two.

How about a variant of dollar cost averaging.
In conventional dca, you put the same amount of dollars into an investment per unit time.  Say you have 63 thousand dollars to invest.  You could invest 10.5 thousand dollars per month for 6 months.
But you could use an exponentially decaying function to set the buy amounts, say

32,000      October
16,000      November
  8,000      December
  4,000      January
  2,000      February
  1,000      March

63,000      total

or instead of having each monthly contribution decline by half, we might specify a decrease of thirty percent

21,420      October
15,000      November
10,500      December
  7,350      January
  5,130      February
  3,600      March

63,000      total

The above strategy isn't for the market timer or day trader, it's for the prospective hodler.
7jaka7

Activity: 628
Merit: 276

BTC, ETH, XMR, LTC

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 01:45:57 PM

https://www.monero.how/ , http://monero-observer.com/ , https://getmonero.org/ , https://forum.getmonero.org Here, 4 links with tons of informations. I believe it will be enough. Smiley

IMO if you don't have any Monero you should buy some pretty fast, you never know when big rise in price will come. I believe that Monero has plenty of room for growth in next year or two. But you never know in crypto world, so be carefull!

SECURE YOUR CRYPTO ASSETS | GET SOME FREE SATOSHI'S | TRADE ON BINANCE 
Disclaimer: All links are affiliate/refferal! Thank you for using them! Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 [1807] 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 ... 2122 »
  Print  

Jump to: