Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:25:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 [1851] 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667277 times)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 04:01:48 AM

Hi guys, check out this Monero swot analysis.

http://cryptoinvestorsguide.com/monero-analysis-investor-guide/

Tax reporting could be difficult. (Some might argue this the point of Monero)

Yup the argument is of course you are provided view keys for any transactions you want to share with any entity. So even though XMR is 100% fungible it is also easy to prove your transactions.

Governments are slowly having to make a choice whether they embrace Cryptocurrencies or fight to ban and push them underground.

Monero could come under attack as Governments  look to falsely lay blame for enabling "Terrorists, and drug dealers"  (the USD could also be blamed for this)

This was already the case with BTC so why worry about it being the possible case with Monero? We all know Fiat has been bused to fund some of the worst atrocities in the history of mankind.

I agree with all else so this is a great rudimentary analysis IMO. Smiley

I read the posts carefully, and found that xmr support dpos, my question is how to become a node and what is the profit?

Where did you read this?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 04:57:02 AM

POLO announces that Legacy accounts to be closed. I guess they found out I'm not coming back! Lol

https://poloniex.com/press-releases/2017.12.27-Notice-to-legacy-account-holders/

As with any change, we understand you may have concerns about how this requirement impacts you and the consequences of not meeting this verification deadline. Here are further details on what to expect.

On the date of the deadline, legacy accounts will be placed in a state where:

Trading and lending will be disabled;
    Open orders will be closed;
    Loans will have auto-renew switched off;
    Margin positions will be given an 8 week wind-down period where they can only be diminished or closed. After the 8 week wind-down period, they will be closed;
    Deposit addresses will be revoked. Any deposits sent to a revoked address will not be recoverable until the account is fully verified;
    Withdrawals will remain enabled at the daily withdrawal limits prior to the deadline.

If at any point you verify your legacy account, full functionality will be restored and your daily withdrawal limit will be increased to $25K USD equivalent.

So what exchanges do you guys recommend without KYC?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Dark Oopa

Activity: 83
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 10:35:41 AM

Hello,

I'm new to the xmr community. Just bought monero but I can't get them to my wallet.

When using the windows GUI wallet, the payment ID is 16 digits but apparently, exchanges needs a 64 one. HOw can I have a 64 digits payment ID with this wallet?

thx
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 10:44:38 AM

POLO announces that Legacy accounts to be closed. I guess they found out I'm not coming back! Lol

https://poloniex.com/press-releases/2017.12.27-Notice-to-legacy-account-holders/

As with any change, we understand you may have concerns about how this requirement impacts you and the consequences of not meeting this verification deadline. Here are further details on what to expect.

On the date of the deadline, legacy accounts will be placed in a state where:

Trading and lending will be disabled;
    Open orders will be closed;
    Loans will have auto-renew switched off;
    Margin positions will be given an 8 week wind-down period where they can only be diminished or closed. After the 8 week wind-down period, they will be closed;
    Deposit addresses will be revoked. Any deposits sent to a revoked address will not be recoverable until the account is fully verified;
    Withdrawals will remain enabled at the daily withdrawal limits prior to the deadline.

If at any point you verify your legacy account, full functionality will be restored and your daily withdrawal limit will be increased to $25K USD equivalent.

So what exchanges do you guys recommend without KYC?

They already took forever now what? they are gonna do every account.

Flip.

Main reason to do it is to escape :/
equipoise

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 10:54:09 AM

Hello,

I'm new to the xmr community. Just bought monero but I can't get them to my wallet.

When using the windows GUI wallet, the payment ID is 16 digits but apparently, exchanges needs a 64 one. HOw can I have a 64 digits payment ID with this wallet?

thx
You only need payment ID when you send to exchanges/retailers/services and they'll generate it for you. When you withdraw to your own wallet you don't need any payment ID.

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 11:03:56 AM

Oh and it says webcam not detected so you cant continue.

So photos wont do.

Dark Oopa

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 11:24:06 AM

Hello,

thx
You only need payment ID when you send to exchanges/retailers/services and they'll generate it for you. When you withdraw to your own wallet you don't need any payment ID.

cryptopia ask me a payment ID and bittrex too. And they are not happy with de 16 digit one.
equipoise

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 01:02:37 PM

Hello,

thx

cryptopia ask me a payment ID and bittrex too. And they are not happy with de 16 digit one.
It's optional. Just leave it blank.

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
Dark Oopa

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:28:10 PM

Hello,

thx

It's optional. Just leave it blank.

lol
it worked...

thanks
Call_Me_Bambi

Activity: 574
Merit: 261

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:27:11 PM

I am interested in mining Monero I found Minerd-wolf-07-09-14 is this okay or is it too old? Does anyone have any new links to mining software?

The two Cryptonote miners I've used for Monero are 'Claymore's Cryptonote' and SGminer-GM. Claymore's miner gets updated now-and-again but SGminer-GM is no longer supported. I've had good results from both.
Claymore: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=638915.0
SGminer-GM: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1612329.0  & https://github.com/genesismining/sgminer-gm/releases

Note: I think SGminer-GM has mutated into 'Gatelessgate' https://github.com/zawawawa/gatelessgate
sNaKeyz0r91

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 10:24:34 PM

Hi!

I started mining 2 days ago XMR at Moria - https://moriaxmr.com/#/home
I see they're a small pool, with blocks found once per day more or less. My miner hashrate is constantly 4900-5100H/s (Claymore) and pool reports 24H/Average about 3.8-3.9H/s. Is that normal? After 2 days of mining and a block found, I was rewarded with only 0.031. My primary concern isn't about the long time until a block was found, but the poor average hashrate pool is reporting. Is something wrong with them? Other pools have a better average of the hashrate?

Thank you
xs.over

Activity: 376
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 12:22:49 AM

50% exactly. not bad.

~50% botnets and ~50% legit miners would have probably been my guess if you had asked me to take a wild guess. I don't think it really bespeaks rogue ASICS. Which is the only real concern I think.
It's very bad things, especially for legit miners
DonQuijote
Legendary

Activity: 1551
Merit: 1002

♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚&#

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 12:28:50 AM

XMR best for Anonymous coin but what is differences with XVG, DeepOnion and seems

Don't know anything about XVG but from what I understand DeepOnion just adds onion routing to the wallet software. The same thing could be done with a tor wrapper to any crypto-currency. The blockchain is visable to all. So even if you are hiding your network activity you can still be compromised through blockchain analysis. Monero doesn't provide network level security at this time. It is in development. But there are instructions for running monero over tor which makes it equivalent to DeepOnion in that respect. But monero has the added, and very critical, advantage of having an opaque blockchain. It is more or less impossible to determine anything from the monero blockchain except that no one has double spent. Which is the only thing you really want your blockchain to do anyway. Unless its something like eithereum with smart contracts or something.
Exactly, and that feature was implemented in other currencies years ago, I can not understand why xvg is pumping

THE INGENIOUS GENTLEMAN DON QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚♝♞♜ BTC tip: 39gUUFdJBdKWXnLoh3PMNX9eUz3DwakBKq
revelacaogr
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1021

2009 Alea iacta est

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 03:26:51 PM

Sarang Noether Provides Decemeber Update On Monero

https://www.cryptocurrencyfreak.com/2017/12/29/sarang-noether-provides-decemeber-update-monero/

The latest update from Sarang Noether is out and its full of interesting information on Bulletproofs, Multisig and discusses whether or not zk-SNARKs would benefit Monero. Read the entire post below or at the Monero forums.

Hello there! Sarang Noether here with my monthly report for December. I’m pleased to report good progress on several important projects, and want to start by thanking the Monero community for your support.

The primary task this month has been a continuation of Bulletproofs. As you’ve probably read elsewhere (like this blog post), range proofs are an important component of Monero’s confidential transactions that allow us to keep amounts secret. Bulletproofs are a replacement for our existing range proofs that used Borromean ring signatures and took up a substantial amount of space on the blockchain. I used the recent Bulletproof white paper to work up Java code, perform testing on correctness and efficiency, and work with moneromooo to get the test code ported for eventual inclusion into the Monero codebase. Single-output Bulletproofs are currently undergoing testing on testnet and will be included in a future release when ready. Multi-output Bulletproofs, which offer even more space savings that scale to larger transactions, are being tested separately since they necessitate a change to the way we handle fee scaling in order to avoid denial-of-service attacks from transaction packing. Releasing Bulletproofs in stages will provide an immediate reduction in transaction size and continue to offer further benefits once the rollout is complete.........

CryptoHawkAG

Activity: 43

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:39:35 PM

Interesting project Smiley
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 07:00:47 PM

https://www.cryptocurrencyfreak.com/2017/12/29/sarang-noether-provides-decemeber-update-monero/

The latest update from Sarang Noether is out and its full of interesting information on Bulletproofs, Multisig and discusses whether or not zk-SNARKs would benefit Monero. Read the entire post below or at the Monero forums.

Hello there! Sarang Noether here with my monthly report for December. I’m pleased to report good progress on several important projects, and want to start by thanking the Monero community for your support.

The primary task this month has been a continuation of Bulletproofs. As you’ve probably read elsewhere (like this blog post), range proofs are an important component of Monero’s confidential transactions that allow us to keep amounts secret. Bulletproofs are a replacement for our existing range proofs that used Borromean ring signatures and took up a substantial amount of space on the blockchain. I used the recent Bulletproof white paper to work up Java code, perform testing on correctness and efficiency, and work with moneromooo to get the test code ported for eventual inclusion into the Monero codebase. Single-output Bulletproofs are currently undergoing testing on testnet and will be included in a future release when ready. Multi-output Bulletproofs, which offer even more space savings that scale to larger transactions, are being tested separately since they necessitate a change to the way we handle fee scaling in order to avoid denial-of-service attacks from transaction packing. Releasing Bulletproofs in stages will provide an immediate reduction in transaction size and continue to offer further benefits once the rollout is complete.........

Thanks a Ton, Reading now but got to this and it makes me quite concerned.

SPECTRE’s underlying model falls into the category of partial synchronous networks: its
security  depends  on  the  existence  of  some  bound  on  the  delivery  time  of  messages  between honest participants

I don't like anything that is not trustless nor do I trust encapsulated Israeli security researchers.

Sarang seems to talk pretty fast and loose about changing underlying protocols with off the comments like this.

Because it uses a more complex consensus algorithm than the Nakamoto longest-chain consensus method, there is a lot of testing and analysis that needs to be done. The benefits, however, are intriguing: an implementation could increase the block rate substantially without compromising the security of the network.

I See compromising security written all over that quote I placed above. I'm starting to think this project needs a chief Security Officer. These are the exact actions that a three letter agency would be doing to place compromised positions in the codebase.

I would also like to know why we should care about ZK-Snarks when ZK-Starks which from what I understand is already Trustless is available.

Finally, a new paper was released on efficient zk-SNARKs without trusted setup. Earlier work on zk-SNARKs required trusted parties, and some coins already use this.

vince212

Activity: 306
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 07:33:52 PM

How likely do you think coinbase will add monero next yr?
CryptoHawkAG

Activity: 43

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 07:45:29 PM

One of the best projects in the crypto space  Smiley
birr

Activity: 869
Merit: 585

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 09:06:34 PM

SPECTRE’s underlying model falls into the category of partial synchronous networks: its
security  depends  on  the  existence  of  some  bound  on  the  delivery  time  of  messages  between honest participants

I don't like anything that is not trustless nor do I trust encapsulated Israeli security researchers.

Sarang seems to talk pretty fast and loose about changing underlying protocols with off the comments like this.

Because it uses a more complex consensus algorithm than the Nakamoto longest-chain consensus method, there is a lot of testing and analysis that needs to be done. The benefits, however, are intriguing: an implementation could increase the block rate substantially without compromising the security of the network.

I See compromising security written all over that quote I placed above. I'm starting to think this project needs a chief Security Officer. These are the exact actions that a three letter agency would be doing to place compromised positions in the codebase.

I would also like to know why we should care about ZK-Snarks when ZK-Starks which from what I understand is already Trustless is available.

Finally, a new paper was released on efficient zk-SNARKs without trusted setup. Earlier work on zk-SNARKs required trusted parties, and some coins already use this.
Do we have an established procedure for how stuff like this gets into the codebase?  Or more to the point, doesn't.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 03:10:50 AM

Do we have an established procedure for how stuff like this gets into the codebase?  Or more to the point, doesn't.

From what I've seen Devs seem to bring up things and if there is no decent then they get recommended, I tried to find out about how things are vetted and never got a clear answer.

Pages: « 1 ... 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 [1851] 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: