Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:58:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 [1808] 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 ... 2122 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4666948 times)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4861

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 05:18:23 PM

Received this email, not even sure if it's true as I stopped using Mintpal as soon as it started looking scammy which was pretty quickly after Moolah got a hold of it. Moolah was an obvious scan from the get go.

Avon and Somerset Police Mintpal Investigation

Dear Sir/Madam,

Operation Sparrow is an ongoing UK fraud investigation into the activities of Moolah and its former CEO Ryan Kennedy, also known as Alex Green.

The investigation focuses on Kennedy’s acquisition of Mintpal in 2014 and the subsequent disappearance and dispersal of customers’ funds from the exchange.

Kennedy has been charged with a number of fraud offences in relation to these matters and is due to face trial at Bristol Crown Court.

I am writing to you as you have been identified through your email address as a possible victim of this fraud and may have incurred a financial loss. You are one of almost fourteen thousand people that have been affected by this case so please accept my apologies that it is not practical for me to respond to individual queries at this time. I would urge you not to reply directly to this email, nor to phone Avon and Somerset Constabulary regarding the case. Updates will be published as and when available.

At this stage of the investigation I am unable to confirm whether there will be any possibility of financial compensation.

I should be grateful if you would take a few minutes to complete the attached survey that will assist us in identifying potential victims more quickly and efficiently.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GSBZJP

Please submit your completed questionnaire by 31st January 2018. Responses received after this date will not be processed.

Thank you for your time.

Yours faithfully,

Detective Constable Charlotte Suter

Economic Crime Team

Avon and Somerset Constabulary

Note: Survey Monkey is not affiliated to Avon and Somerset Constabulary.

Attached privacy policy explains how SurveyMonkey handles your personal information and data.

https://www.surveymonkey.net/mp/policy/privacy-policy/

This e-mail is intended for the named individual(s) only and may contain information which is protected in law. If you have received this e-mail in error, you may not read, copy, disseminate or otherwise deal with it. In this case, please delete the e-mail and contact the sender immediately.
Internet e-mail is not secure. Therefore Avon and Somerset Constabulary does not accept legal responsibility for the contents or distribution of this message including file attachments. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Avon and Somerset Constabulary. All reasonable efforts have been made to check that any attached software or other material is/are free of computer viruses, but Avon and Somerset Constabulary accepts no responsibility for any damage, howsoever arising, as a result of their transmission to the recipient's computer or network.
Working to make the communities of Avon and Somerset feel safe and be safe

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
garytheasshole

Activity: 406
Merit: 105

Chosŏn Minjujuŭi Inmin Konghwaguk

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 05:20:19 PM

Received this email, not even sure if it's true as I stopped using Mintpal as soon as it started looking scammy which was pretty quickly after Moolah got a hold of it. Moolah was an obvious scan from the get go.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Operation Sparrow is an ongoing UK fraud investigation into the activities of Moolah and its former CEO Ryan Kennedy, also known as Alex Green.

The investigation focuses on Kennedy’s acquisition of Mintpal in 2014 and the subsequent disappearance and dispersal of customers’ funds from the exchange.

Kennedy has been charged with a number of fraud offences in relation to these matters and is due to face trial at Bristol Crown Court.

I am writing to you as you have been identified through your email address as a possible victim of this fraud and may have incurred a financial loss. You are one of almost fourteen thousand people that have been affected by this case so please accept my apologies that it is not practical for me to respond to individual queries at this time. I would urge you not to reply directly to this email, nor to phone Avon and Somerset Constabulary regarding the case. Updates will be published as and when available.

At this stage of the investigation I am unable to confirm whether there will be any possibility of financial compensation.

I should be grateful if you would take a few minutes to complete the attached survey that will assist us in identifying potential victims more quickly and efficiently.

Please submit your completed questionnaire by 31st January 2018. Responses received after this date will not be processed.

Thank you for your time.

Yours faithfully,

Economic Crime Team

Attached privacy policy explains how SurveyMonkey handles your personal information and data.

This e-mail is intended for the named individual(s) only and may contain information which is protected in law. If you have received this e-mail in error, you may not read, copy, disseminate or otherwise deal with it. In this case, please delete the e-mail and contact the sender immediately.
Internet e-mail is not secure. Therefore Avon and Somerset Constabulary does not accept legal responsibility for the contents or distribution of this message including file attachments. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Avon and Somerset Constabulary. All reasonable efforts have been made to check that any attached software or other material is/are free of computer viruses, but Avon and Somerset Constabulary accepts no responsibility for any damage, howsoever arising, as a result of their transmission to the recipient's computer or network.

Quite obvious that it is fake, the surveymonkey ref link is a dead giveaway.

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 06:15:29 PM

Well the funny part is that Gov organizations use retarded software all the time.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
garytheasshole

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 06:37:35 PM

Well the funny part is that Gov organizations use retarded software all the time.

Got a good point there, it may be I'm just bit too paranoid and I think this is data harvesting operation.

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 06:55:01 PM

Got a good point there, it may be I'm just bit too paranoid and I think this is data harvesting operation.

There's a very good chance your right, I just don't care enough to even google it but I figured whether it's phishing or true either way I'd let you guys know that I got one.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 04:02:53 AM

there is 1 issue with Monero, a big one: SCALING

All decentralized cryptocurrency has this problem.  It is entailed by the massive trade-off Satoshi made of performance and efficiency for security.

But Monero is socially self-scaling just like Bitcoin in that as it grows in fiat value each tx can perform more economic work.

The ZOMG ALLCAPS SCAAAALING1! FUD was used by Chicken Littles to push famously failed projects like BitcoinXT.

The sky is not falling.  If you really want privacy to buy coffee, perhaps Aeon or PIVX will provide a substitute good until Monero's Layer 2 is ready.

Trust in marginalism and markets; the substitution effect and pricing mechanism ensure the supply of Monero tx is effectively infinite. Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
nick1492

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 05:31:02 AM

Hi Guys, how come Monero coin, dips further and further? When you look at the graph, its trend is going down since the last pump of August 28? It has been 50 days and it still going down?

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 06:15:31 AM

Hi Guys, how come Monero coin, dips further and further? When you look at the graph, its trend is going down since the last pump of August 28? It has been 50 days and it still going down?

You think 8 red weekly candles isn't normal?  Where have you been?  Cheesy Tongue   Monero always drops on good news, and there is a lot of good news lately, that's all.
TheFuzzStone
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1442

thefuzzstone.github.io

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 06:37:20 AM

When you look at the graph, its trend is going down...

We need more blood!

Whtwabbit

Activity: 490
Merit: 266

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 06:51:51 AM

All time hash rate, usage (and $USD) - the trend is up

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
TheFuzzStone
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1442

thefuzzstone.github.io

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 08:02:52 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/77d042/news_from_monero_ru_community/

Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 08:08:26 AM

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your time.

Yours faithfully,

Economic Crime Team

Easily answered, and what you should always do. Reply out of band, i.e. in this case ring them at their advertised telephone number and ask for the officer.

If you get a similar weird phone call, don't call back on the same phone. Go out of band again and use another phone or your mobile. So scammers cant keep the line open and pretend to answer again as the "police HQ".

These scams are always going round, but they tend to target the old and weak. Maybe crypto is getting too attractive for them.

revelacaogr
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1021

2009 Alea iacta est

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:14:30 AM

Can we make Skepticism Sunday a part of the Monero Culture?
by Vespco

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/75w7wt/can_we_make_skepticism_sunday_a_part_of_the/

I really dislike /r/Bitcoin, r/Dashpay and other cryptocurrency communities because they focus so much on what is going well but completely ignore real issues, and often downvote people who bring up real issues with their coin, such as issues with fungibility.
This becomes a real issue when the price goes way up and when the community size gets much bigger as less serious people become more prevalent and more vocal.
I think most of us here at r/Monero currently care about having the best cypherpunk cryptocurrency as we realize that is really where cryptocurrencies derive their value/utility.
In order for us to really ensure we keep those ideals, we should always look at our tech critically. We're doing a pretty good job of that now, but as we grow I suspect we'll see less and less of that and more "Moonero!!!" posts.
So, I'd like for us to install a culture of being scientific, skeptical, and rational while we still can. My suggestion is to do a post each Sunday called: Skepticism Sunday.
This can be upvoted and have an open, critical discussion about monero as a technology, it's economics, and so on.
This will be used to mention things such as:
Is fungibility really that important?
Can Monero really scale if it has even less scripting than bitcoin?
Is StringCT + Cryptonote really the best in regards to providing cypherpunk ideals such as privacy, anonymity, trustlessness, and fungibility?
We should do this because every other day we find ourselves looking at the good news that confirms our bias. You don't really benefit from finding additional examples of what agree with your understanding; it isn't going to change your behavior or mind, as you already believe it and are acting accordingly. Finding contradictory evidence, on the other hand, allows you to build a better model of reality and act more rationally, making for a better community, better cryptocurrency, and better personal investments.
One video we should all watch that does a fantastic job at driving home this point is veritasiums "Can you solve this?" Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKA4w2O61Xo..............

garytheasshole

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 12:41:15 PM

by Vespco

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/75w7wt/can_we_make_skepticism_sunday_a_part_of_the/

I really dislike /r/Bitcoin, r/Dashpay and other cryptocurrency communities because they focus so much on what is going well but completely ignore real issues, and often downvote people who bring up real issues with their coin, such as issues with fungibility.
This becomes a real issue when the price goes way up and when the community size gets much bigger as less serious people become more prevalent and more vocal.
I think most of us here at r/Monero currently care about having the best cypherpunk cryptocurrency as we realize that is really where cryptocurrencies derive their value/utility.
In order for us to really ensure we keep those ideals, we should always look at our tech critically. We're doing a pretty good job of that now, but as we grow I suspect we'll see less and less of that and more "Moonero!!!" posts.
So, I'd like for us to install a culture of being scientific, skeptical, and rational while we still can. My suggestion is to do a post each Sunday called: Skepticism Sunday.
This can be upvoted and have an open, critical discussion about monero as a technology, it's economics, and so on.
Is StringCT + Cryptonote really the best in regards to providing cypherpunk ideals such as privacy, anonymity, trustlessness, and fungibility?
We should do this because every other day we find ourselves looking at the good news that confirms our bias. You don't really benefit from finding additional examples of what agree with your understanding; it isn't going to change your behavior or mind, as you already believe it and are acting accordingly. Finding contradictory evidence, on the other hand, allows you to build a better model of reality and act more rationally, making for a better community, better cryptocurrency, and better personal investments.
One video we should all watch that does a fantastic job at driving home this point is veritasiums "Can you solve this?" Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKA4w2O61Xo..............

This is why we can't have nice pumps, you talk too much sense, we need a religion not scientific methods!

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 01:21:06 PM

You think 8 red weekly candles isn't normal?  Where have you been?  Cheesy Tongue   Monero always drops on good news, and there is a lot of good news lately, that's all.

Am I right?  I do believe 8 red weekly candles is a record.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 03:55:19 PM

YOU!  YOU did this!  You bought again, didn't you?!
Temporel

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 05:43:25 PM

I heard Big investors have dropped monero and they're headed for zen cash.

PBC ?
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 06:15:20 PM

Thanks for the link, it's tough keeping up when you can't or don't use that shit site reddit.

by Vespco

And the bolded is one of the major reasons I hate that site. It's a massive chore to find comments and posts you want to follow as they get pushed into oblivion. With that being said I think you have a good idea there as it will put a stop to any circle jerks that start forming. Many times I have brought up a problem that I wanted to discuss but have gotten dogpiled by fanboys that don't know Honest discussion of issues or potential issues are a important part of the maturation of new technology. Luckily This community here on BCT is mostly mature enough that we can discuss problems without that sort of reaction as opposed to Reddit where the site is designed to quelch free speech and force the party line on the entire communities participants. It is the epitome of mob rule.

I see no reason the Devs would not give you an official thread for that, but I know most of us that don't use reddit would not participate and I'm sure all the fanbios over there that can only follow and have no thought process of there own will destroy your idea pretty quickly.

I think this is the reason Most coin communities are moving there, it's easy to control the community there as opposed to here, it's really a black eye on the devs that no longer come here and only frequent reddit in my opinion.

You think 8 red weekly candles isn't normal?  Where have you been?  Cheesy Tongue   Monero always drops on good news, and there is a lot of good news lately, that's all.

Am I right?  I do believe 8 red weekly candles is a record.

You may very well be right, but it is a different eco-system now with the larger Cap and the big players all getting involved. It's more than likely that all these stockbrokers are using their old tricks that are illegal for stock trading but are not for CC. The market seems to be just getting squeezed for every penny they can extract. I guess it's just a side effect of no central authority with a massive pre-mine that can stabilize a coin and keep pushing it up. But I'm just guessing I have no clue where the money is and thats just a side effect of having the most fungible coin on the planet.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 07:14:04 PM

I have done NOTHING but buy exactly once a week for 8 weeks!  What does this signify?!??
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 07:28:12 PM

I have done NOTHING but buy exactly once a week for 8 weeks!  What does this signify?!??

ROTFLMFAO!

Pages: « 1 ... 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 [1808] 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 ... 2122 »
  Print  

Jump to: