Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:47:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 [2098] 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
Millionero

Activity: 807
Merit: 423

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 05:30:09 AM
Last edit: February 18, 2021, 06:53:28 AM by Millionero

I have an xmr wallet that was empty until I sent some xmr from an exchange to the wallet yesterday.  According to a block explorer, the transaction was mined in block 2299276:
https://localmonero.co/blocks/search/af79f699a7d5a69b59ce733c3ab3e8f99f37a2eac5e1edc1b579e848c41492ba
The xmr showed up on my cli wallet on my laptop.
Then I decided to install monerujo on my phone.  I chose the "restore" option and typed in the 25 word seed that I got from the "seed" command of the cli wallet on my laptop.
I restored the phone wallet from block 2299000.  I figured that would be good enough for the wallet to see the transaction in block 2299276.
The monerujo wallet on my phone now shows 0 xmr.
Why didn't monerujo see the transaction in block 2299276?  How far back do I have to go to restore the wallet?  Do I have to restore monerujo from block 0?

Note, I had earlier transactions in this wallet from as far back as block 1143800 or so.  A few weeks ago I sent all the xmr out of the wallet, so it had a balance of zero until yesterday.
I don't think the earlier transactions have any bearing on yesterday's transaction, but thought I should provide the information in the interest of completeness.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 07:05:05 AM

I have an xmr wallet that was empty until I sent some xmr from an exchange to the wallet yesterday.  According to a block explorer, the transaction was mined in block 2299276:
https://localmonero.co/blocks/search/af79f699a7d5a69b59ce733c3ab3e8f99f37a2eac5e1edc1b579e848c41492ba
Then I decided to install monerujo on my phone.  I chose the "restore" option and typed in the 25 word seed that I got from the "seed" command of the cli wallet on my laptop.
I restored the phone wallet from block 2299000.  I figured that would be good enough for the wallet to see the transaction in block 2299276.
Why didn't monerujo see the transaction in block 2299276?  How far back do I have to go to restore the wallet?  Do I have to restore monerujo from block 0?

Note, I had earlier transactions in this wallet from as far back as block 1143800 or so.  A few weeks ago I sent all the xmr out of the wallet, so it had a balance of zero until yesterday.
I don't think the earlier transactions have any bearing on yesterday's transaction, but thought I should provide the information in the interest of completeness.

All I can think of is a seed issue when entering it. did you make sure the wallet addresses match?
Maybe try a different remote node?
sorry can't think of anything else.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
elrippos friend

Activity: 1179
Merit: 210

only hodl what you understand and love!

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 09:07:55 AM

All I can think of is a seed issue when entering it. did you make sure the wallet addresses match?
Maybe try a different remote node?
sorry can't think of anything else.

I always start at block 0 to avoid issues like that. In theory it is doable, but practically i made the experience, that it is a good idea to start scanning from block 0 in order to have a clean wallet, besides that, scanning from block 0 on wifi is done over night  Wink

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 02:23:44 PM

I restored from seed on the latest GUI v0.17.1.7 to be a cold wallet in an offline machine. I then generated a view-only wallet from it which I synced in an online machine. My balance is off. All transactions shown are "Received" (green dots). I was able to identify a recent "Send" transaction that is indicated as "Received" (green dot) so I assume the rest of my outputs over a few years (which I am unable to identify) are the same. I shouldn't complain since my balance is a bit more than it should be but I know this is gonna haunt me later down the line. Did I miss a step in setting up this cold/view-only wallet? What gymnastics do I have to do to resolve this issue?

Try exporting the key images from the offline wallet and subsequently importing them in the hot wallet. See (5):

https://github.com/monero-ecosystem/monero-GUI-guide/blob/master/monero-GUI-guide.md#send-monero

Thank you for your assistance.

Importing the cold/offline wallet key images after the view-only/online wallet had synced did not fix my balance issue. I also consequently did "Settings>Wallet>Rescan wallet balance" but this feature did not do anything at all. I even downloaded and synced the blockchain from scratch, just in case the existing one was somehow corrupted but to no avail.

To reiterate, I restored my cold/offline/air-gapped wallet from seed (i.e. from scratch) and created the view-only/online wallet from it. Since the "seed" is the ultimate in terms of crypto backup, I assumed that it would just work without any hitch right off the bat. Did I miss a step in my procedure to restore my cold/view-only wallet setup from scratch?

Furthermore, several seconds after GUI v0.17.1.7 Wallet and Daemon fully sync, it would go back to syncing mode again with "Daemon blocks remaining: 2". Sometimes, it would drop to "1" momentarily then goes back up to "2" again but would never fully sync again from here on.

Please try applying the ban list:

1. Download this file and place it in the same folder as `monerod` / `monero-wallet-gui`: https://gui.xmr.pm/files/block_tor.txt

2. Go to the `Settings` page -> `Node` tab.

3. Enter
Code:
--ban-list block_tor.txt 
in `daemon startup flags` box.

4. Restart the GUI (and daemon).

This worked. Thanks! Do I need to keep these (ban list file and daemon startup flag) in there from here on? If so, does the list need to be updated all the time and/or updates would be incorporated in subsequent releases?

Regarding the cold wallet setup, do you know how to operate the CLI?

With respect to the ban list, you should be able to run v0.17.1.9 without it.

Can my balance issue be fixed via CLI then?

Should be, yes. Can you have a look at this guide?

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/2868/is-there-any-way-to-construct-a-transaction-manually

Thank you. I did it! I survived through the CLI nightmare...in my own haphazard / unpolished way including moving files around as GUI doesn't have the same default directories as CLI. Perhaps, this could be standardized or made consistent in future releases.

Though the wallet balance now appears to be correct, I noticed something odd. The last send transaction which I made a couple of months ago was only for a fraction of a coin but under "Transactions" on GUI, it shows 8-figure coins and change was sent (i.e. 12345678.123456789... coins) to "Unknown recipent" while the transactions before it show correct amounts sent to valid addresses. Do you have any thoughts regarding this irregularity / discrepancy?

That sounds like a bug. Do you recognize the transaction as authorized?

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 06:08:20 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2021, 06:22:06 PM by visdude

I restored from seed on the latest GUI v0.17.1.7 to be a cold wallet in an offline machine. I then generated a view-only wallet from it which I synced in an online machine. My balance is off. All transactions shown are "Received" (green dots). I was able to identify a recent "Send" transaction that is indicated as "Received" (green dot) so I assume the rest of my outputs over a few years (which I am unable to identify) are the same. I shouldn't complain since my balance is a bit more than it should be but I know this is gonna haunt me later down the line. Did I miss a step in setting up this cold/view-only wallet? What gymnastics do I have to do to resolve this issue?

Try exporting the key images from the offline wallet and subsequently importing them in the hot wallet. See (5):

https://github.com/monero-ecosystem/monero-GUI-guide/blob/master/monero-GUI-guide.md#send-monero

Thank you for your assistance.

Importing the cold/offline wallet key images after the view-only/online wallet had synced did not fix my balance issue. I also consequently did "Settings>Wallet>Rescan wallet balance" but this feature did not do anything at all. I even downloaded and synced the blockchain from scratch, just in case the existing one was somehow corrupted but to no avail.

To reiterate, I restored my cold/offline/air-gapped wallet from seed (i.e. from scratch) and created the view-only/online wallet from it. Since the "seed" is the ultimate in terms of crypto backup, I assumed that it would just work without any hitch right off the bat. Did I miss a step in my procedure to restore my cold/view-only wallet setup from scratch?

Furthermore, several seconds after GUI v0.17.1.7 Wallet and Daemon fully sync, it would go back to syncing mode again with "Daemon blocks remaining: 2". Sometimes, it would drop to "1" momentarily then goes back up to "2" again but would never fully sync again from here on.

Please try applying the ban list:

1. Download this file and place it in the same folder as `monerod` / `monero-wallet-gui`: https://gui.xmr.pm/files/block_tor.txt

2. Go to the `Settings` page -> `Node` tab.

3. Enter
Code:
--ban-list block_tor.txt 
in `daemon startup flags` box.

4. Restart the GUI (and daemon).

This worked. Thanks! Do I need to keep these (ban list file and daemon startup flag) in there from here on? If so, does the list need to be updated all the time and/or updates would be incorporated in subsequent releases?

Regarding the cold wallet setup, do you know how to operate the CLI?

With respect to the ban list, you should be able to run v0.17.1.9 without it.

Can my balance issue be fixed via CLI then?

Should be, yes. Can you have a look at this guide?

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/2868/is-there-any-way-to-construct-a-transaction-manually

Thank you. I did it! I survived through the CLI nightmare...in my own haphazard / unpolished way including moving files around as GUI doesn't have the same default directories as CLI. Perhaps, this could be standardized or made consistent in future releases.

Though the wallet balance now appears to be correct, I noticed something odd. The last send transaction which I made a couple of months ago was only for a fraction of a coin but under "Transactions" on GUI, it shows 8-figure coins and change was sent (i.e. 12345678.123456789... coins) to "Unknown recipent" while the transactions before it show correct amounts sent to valid addresses. Do you have any thoughts regarding this irregularity / discrepancy?

That sounds like a bug. Do you recognize the transaction as authorized?

I am certain that it is the last transaction that I did as this was how it appeared when I checked it right after the send which went through successfully as expected and the wallet balance did decrease by as much (the actual fraction-of-a-coin amount that I sent and not the erroneous 8-figure+ amount that would have rendered my current balance equal to negative 8-figure+). Grin

In other words, everything about the transaction was as expected except for its strange amount with "Unknown recipient" shown under "Transactions" in GUI wallet. I had thought that this was yet another obfuscation feature implemented in recent releases but apparently, it is not.

bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1439

View Profile
February 23, 2021, 12:06:56 AM

I speculate that the Biden administration will not only restrict ordinary people that do not meet their criteria from buying bitcoin and other cryptocoins, I reckon the bitcoin miners which are registered businesses are also in the list of a government shutdown.

What is the Monero development team’s stance on Asic resistance presently? Will it continue to hard fork to stop Asics?

I might have made a mistake in my support for embracing Asics for Aeon. It is only a small coin and it might not matter, however, giving up on mining with ordinary hardware might be a mistake.

Yellen sounds warning about ‘extremely inefficient’ bitcoin

Yellen said there remain important questions about legitimacy and stability.

“I don’t think that bitcoin … is widely used as a transaction mechanism,” she told CNBC’s Andrew Ross Sorkin at a New York Times DealBook conference. “To the extent it is used I fear it’s often for illicit finance. It’s an extremely inefficient way of conducting transactions, and the amount of energy that’s consumed in processing those transactions is staggering.”

Source https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/22/yellen-sounds-warning-about-extremely-inefficient-bitcoin.html

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
panocreogreo

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2021, 07:31:44 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2021, 08:01:58 AM by panocreogreo

Makes no sense why xmr is remotely not in top 10..
menoiazei

Activity: 368
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 24, 2021, 12:30:47 PM

For some reason using my GUI wallet with all the blockchain synchronised to it
when I go to mine I get an error message, I click on both options for threads and wonder why this is happening
also What is the easiest way to mine Monero and support the network?

Wich error message do you get?
The easiest way is to setup a node that is mining --> https://www.getmonero.org/get-started/mining/

even though wallet is synchronised the error message i get is "error mining" could not start mining"

Cause is not before and effect is not after
elrippos friend

View Profile
February 24, 2021, 04:03:39 PM

when I go to mine I get an error message, I click on both options for threads and wonder why this is happening

The easiest way is to setup a node that is mining --> https://www.getmonero.org/get-started/mining/

even though wallet is synchronised the error message i get is "error mining" could not start mining"

Are you in the GUI or in the CLI?

menoiazei

View Profile
February 24, 2021, 05:10:06 PM

GUI
also tried different combinations  #of CPU threads but nothing works

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2021, 05:43:38 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2021, 08:08:05 PM by Hueristic

GUI
also tried different combinations  #of CPU threads but nothing works

There should be a mining thread that will help you out.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
killerkeemstar

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2021, 07:27:28 PM

Yeah this is just a thread where we all complain about monero not being higher price lmao
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2021, 08:07:46 PM

Yeah this is just a thread where we all complain about monero not being higher price lmao

No that is the speculation thread!

This is for general info and to find out how to proceed when search engines fail you.

If you can't get an answer here you will always be directed to where you can get that answer.

elrippos friend

View Profile
February 24, 2021, 08:25:04 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

GUI

Which OS are you using? If you are on Windows i would suppose that your Antivirus application is stopping the mining process.
Can you also start the process in a CLI terminal in order to see the output you are getting.
Therefore it would be great if you can start 2 terminals
In the first terminal you start monerod
In the second you open the wallet with the mining command and a bit more verbose debugging output
Then we can help you, but without those parameters it is just guessing

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2021, 08:27:38 PM

Which OS are you using? If you are on Windows i would suppose that your Antivirus application is stopping the mining process.
Can you also start the process in a CLI terminal in order to see the output you are getting.
In the second you open the wallet with the mining command and a bit more verbose debugging output

Thats why i directed him to the mining thread, this can take a while and if it is there then others can find it easier rather than having it buried in this thread for the future.

Good job lately helping the n00bs, I'm impressed. Smiley

elrippos friend

View Profile
February 25, 2021, 04:57:05 AM

Thats why i directed him to the mining thread, this can take a while and if it is there then others can find it easier rather than having it buried in this thread for the future.

Good job lately helping the n00bs, I'm impressed. Smiley

I am trying to help where i can Smiley
Which job do you mean?

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2021, 05:43:54 AM

Which job do you mean?

Good job is slang for "nice work, I approve". Smiley

elrippos friend

View Profile
February 25, 2021, 05:45:57 AM

Which job do you mean?

Good job is slang for "nice work, I approve". Smiley

Aaahhh ok, thank you  Grin Grin Grin Grin

menoiazei

View Profile
February 25, 2021, 11:01:47 AM

GUI

Is an iMac with Catalina OS

thank you for helping

bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1439

View Profile
March 02, 2021, 05:35:45 AM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

Monero botnet miners might like this article hehe. It might also be made to use the private Monero blockchain and the view key for the corresponding public key for untraceability from outsiders.

In America, uncensorable mining and unenforceable mining shutdowns might be the future of the cryptospace if Yellen’s crackdown begins.

When hackers corral infected computers into a botnet, they take special care to ensure they don’t lose control of the server that sends commands and updates to the compromised devices. The precautions are designed to thwart security defenders who routinely dismantle botnets by taking over the command-and-control server that administers them in a process known as sinkholing.

Recently, a botnet that researchers have been following for about two years began using a new way to prevent command-and-control server takedowns: by camouflaging one of its IP addresses in the bitcoin blockchain.

Source https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/crooks-use-the-bitcoin-blockchain-to-protect-their-botnets-from-takedown/

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Pages: « 1 ... 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 [2098] 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: