Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:47:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Fury/Blizzard tuning and mods  (Read 115219 times)
nst6563 (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:47:04 PM

We need this damn datasheet for the Zeus chip.

The last thing that I see could have an effect is the resistor connected to MODESEL pin (pin 40), but without the datasheet, there is no way we can figure what it's supposed to do.
they could have a few multipliers/dividers for frequency that are related to the value of the resistor.
If I had a board with a single chip on it, it would be easier to try this kind of things.
If the chips were at any time able to hash 300Kh/s each, there must be a way to activate it, and if they claimed 300 Kh/s, it also means that the chips were able of more.

Is there anything written on the chips for the Blizzards?  On my Fury the chips are blank.  Not even a Zeus label is etched on them...just a nice flat black surface ready for etching.  If there was at least SOMETHING on the chips...that could help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2095
Merit: 1396

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:05:32 PM

The last thing that I see could have an effect is the resistor connected to MODESEL pin (pin 40), but without the datasheet, there is no way we can figure what it's supposed to do.
they could have a few multipliers/dividers for frequency that are related to the value of the resistor.
If I had a board with a single chip on it, it would be easier to try this kind of things.
If the chips were at any time able to hash 300Kh/s each, there must be a way to activate it, and if they claimed 300 Kh/s, it also means that the chips were able of more.

I know Terry(CEO zeusminer) has offered on the litecointalk forums chip samples for anyone that wants to give a shot at designing a better board. I can arrange to have a few bare chips with their test board shipped with my next order if anyone is interested in playing around.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
LongAndShort
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1050

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:37:07 PM

I know Terry(CEO zeusminer) has offered on the litecointalk forums chip samples for anyone that wants to give a shot at designing a better board. I can arrange to have a few bare chips with their test board shipped with my next order if anyone is interested in playing around.

Yeah grab one for J4bberwock and while you're there can you ask him for the data sheet for these guys too Smiley
nst6563 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:02:41 PM

I noticed that the buck controller is rated at a 300khz switching frequency...would there be any benefit to stability/power use to swapping to the 0192 with a 600khz switching frequency? I also noticed that one of the mosfets is 'missing' from the board...any benefit to adding that additional mosfet to make a total of 4 instead of 3?
ZiG

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:09:19 PM

Yeah grab one for J4bberwock and while you're there can you ask him for the data sheet for these guys too Smiley

+1

Yeap...grab 2...I am in too...with J4bberwock ...together we could make something better...IMHO

ZiG

EDIT...We will NEED a DATA SPECS of the chip too...Don't forget to ask Terry... Wink
dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2215
Merit: 1057

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:15:06 PM

If anyone would like to use the zen os on their pies then here is a quick guide.

1. Download the zen os image from this guide put together by zenminer. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UilAJ3wMOgoHFqz9e1zhOvz79KQDascYaC6Aq3sbmqg

2. Write it to your raspberry pi's sd card using win32 disk imager (or your preferred method)

3. Boot the pi with Ethernet and the miners plugged in (or plug them in at a later time, up to you)

4. Go to https://zenminer.com/LogIn/ and click on "Don't have an Account?" then sign up and sign in

5. Click the add miner button and it should show up, it may take a while for it first to show up but it will (also try refreshing)

Remember this guide is for people that want to use their own raspberry pi hardware and dont have an activation code that came with the zenminers.

Thanks- I updated the first post with the information and gave you credit. 

Seems this thread has made the cryptomining blog as well....sweet!  http://cryptomining-blog.com/2788-should-you-modify-your-zeusminer-blizzard-scrypt-asic-or-not/

whats the benefit of the zen os over just running bfgminer?

space for rent, shilling for sats
J4bberwock

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:23:19 PM

Thanks, 2 chips and the datasheet would be nice.
If they send a bare test pcb, it's even better, but it can be done from scratch easily now that we have the schematics from the Blizzard.
I'll try to make a simple design that can be used up to 8 chips in the next few days if I have some spare time.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
J4bberwock

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:56:15 PM

I noticed that the buck controller is rated at a 300khz switching frequency...would there be any benefit to stability/power use to swapping to the 0192 with a 600khz switching frequency? I also noticed that one of the mosfets is 'missing' from the board...any benefit to adding that additional mosfet to make a total of 4 instead of 3?
The missing upper MOSFET is useless if the power draw is low enough. Even overclocked, there is some spare room with the actual MOSFET
Actually, for such a small power draw, i'd use a Buck converter with integrated MOSFET. Slightly more expensive, but easier to manage. you can even find some that will output the 5v or 3.3v or 2.5v depending on what you need at the same time, saving some more space on the board.

You will also barely notice a power difference by changing the switching frequency of the Buck controler. The efficiency will usually vary in a 1 or 2% range. I haven't checked in this particular datasheet, but numbers should be close.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
nst6563 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 08:17:10 PM

The missing upper MOSFET is useless if the power draw is low enough. Even overclocked, there is some spare room with the actual MOSFET
Actually, for such a small power draw, i'd use a Buck converter with integrated MOSFET. Slightly more expensive, but easier to manage. you can even find some that will output the 5v or 3.3v or 2.5v depending on what you need at the same time, saving some more space on the board.

You will also barely notice a power difference by changing the switching frequency of the Buck controler. The efficiency will usually vary in a 1 or 2% range. I haven't checked in this particular datasheet, but numbers should be close.

Ok cool...I was just curious.  I'm not THAT deep into the electronic component functionality, but I do know my motherboard supports switchable frequencies like that and I did notice a bit more stability at a higher overclock when I increased the power switching to 450-500khz (Intel I7 3770k on an Asus P8z77v-pro).  I just wasn't sure if the same benefit could be seen on this hardware (taking into account we get past 381Mhz clock).

nst6563 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 08:19:26 PM

If anyone would like to use the zen os on their pies then here is a quick guide.

1. Download the zen os image from this guide put together by zenminer. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UilAJ3wMOgoHFqz9e1zhOvz79KQDascYaC6Aq3sbmqg

2. Write it to your raspberry pi's sd card using win32 disk imager (or your preferred method)

3. Boot the pi with Ethernet and the miners plugged in (or plug them in at a later time, up to you)

4. Go to https://zenminer.com/LogIn/ and click on "Don't have an Account?" then sign up and sign in

5. Click the add miner button and it should show up, it may take a while for it first to show up but it will (also try refreshing)

Remember this guide is for people that want to use their own raspberry pi hardware and dont have an activation code that came with the zenminers.

Thanks- I updated the first post with the information and gave you credit. 

Seems this thread has made the cryptomining blog as well....sweet!  http://cryptomining-blog.com/2788-should-you-modify-your-zeusminer-blizzard-scrypt-asic-or-not/

whats the benefit of the zen os over just running bfgminer?

Zen supposedly gives the ability to control your miner from "the cloud".  However, a similar function (if not more customizable) can be had by a secure rpi interface and some port forwarding or vpn setup on your router (if your router supports vpn).
happydaze

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:03:18 AM

32 chip schematic has been posted on Zeus site: http://zeusminer.com/shcematics/
nst6563 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:10:37 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2014, 01:21:16 AM by nst6563

32 chip schematic has been posted on Zeus site: http://zeusminer.com/shcematics/

Thanks, 2nd post updated and credit given.  

And seriously...this is supposed to be a technical company with intelligent people yet of all things....schematics...is spelled wrong....  Roll Eyes

And looking at those schematics....I don't see a connection from the crystal to the USB to UART bridge.  Looking at the datasheet for the bridge (http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/CP2102-9.pdf) there is no external clock required.  So swapping the crystal may be a decent way to make some headway....until we get the datasheet on the zeus chips themselves.
Glizlack

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:48:05 AM

Sorry if I missed it. Was there a winner of the contest to develop the software? Litecointalk is blocked where I work so I cannot check it. Thanks to Darkwinde and company for the bfgminer port. Its much appreciated.

Steve

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
happydaze

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 02:04:10 AM

I don't know if it's over.  Darkwinde and jstefanop were mentioned in Zeus' weekly update http://zeusminer.com/2014/06/18/1/

And this post from Terry today on Litecointalk https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=16301.msg184567#msg184567 was interesting

the chip docs were already up for like two weeks, no? and yes the schematics for the blades will be up as well. also we are going for more so you geniuses will be happy to be involved with.  we are still working on the "old" cgminer and a new version just released. don't yet have time to put it online.

ZiG

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:45:16 AM

I don't know if it's over.  Darkwinde and jstefanop were mentioned in Zeus' weekly update http://zeusminer.com/2014/06/18/1/

And this post from Terry today on Litecointalk https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=16301.msg184567#msg184567 was interesting

the chip docs were already up for like two weeks, no? and yes the schematics for the blades will be up as well. also we are going for more so you geniuses will be happy to be involved with.  we are still working on the "old" cgminer and a new version just released. don't yet have time to put it online.

Yeap...

Chips prices are...:

"ZeusChips – Build your own miners!

We have received a lot of inquiries of people asking to build their own miners!

We really love your enthusiasm and thought…why not!

We will open very soon the sales for our ZeusChips and will open source our schematics."

500 Chips Package ...$12 per chip

3000 Chips Package ...$10 per chip

12000 Chips Package ...$9 per chip

I don't think they are good prices...more realistic should be half of these prices...IMHO...

ZiG
J4bberwock

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:37:02 AM

I don't know if it's over.  Darkwinde and jstefanop were mentioned in Zeus' weekly update http://zeusminer.com/2014/06/18/1/

the chip docs were already up for like two weeks, no? and yes the schematics for the blades will be up as well. also we are going for more so you geniuses will be happy to be involved with.  we are still working on the "old" cgminer and a new version just released. don't yet have time to put it online.

Yeap...

Chips prices are...:

"ZeusChips – Build your own miners!

We have received a lot of inquiries of people asking to build their own miners!

We really love your enthusiasm and thought…why not!

We will open very soon the sales for our ZeusChips and will open source our schematics."

500 Chips Package ...$12 per chip

3000 Chips Package ...$10 per chip

12000 Chips Package ...$9 per chip

I don't think they are good prices...more realistic should be half of these prices...IMHO...

ZiG

By the time your will have them in hand and put in hashing boards, let's say 3 weeks all in all, Zeus will sell the miners cheaper than what you paid for single bare chips.
Even price cut in half won't be interesting.
Everything over 10$/MH for a bare chip is way too much to be interesting for hobbyist/small custom fabrication.
If they were selling at 2$ a chip today, I'll buy 1000 to build my boards, probably even reselling some. But at 12$ each, I'm better holding my Btc and Ltc or buying the miners with discounts if I really want some hardware.

happydaze

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:20:01 PM

24hr averages for two Fury's: 1,565 kH/s + 1,535 kH/s = 3,100 kH/s  381 clk.
Same mods, 1.4v, not sure why the 2nd is a bit slower as it was the faster one before mod.

Now I can try diff software builds etc. and see how changes affect the 24 hr avg.
BRADLEYPLOOF

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:27:17 PM

Really wish these things were just a little less expensive so I could get my hands on a few to play with.  I also wish I had a degree in Computer Science so I could understand these boards and chips better and putter around with trying to OC these things.  Keep up the good work though and when there is a nice, easy mod (like soldering bridges on gridseed 5 chips) that seems to work well I'd love to see a how to video and watch someone do it.  It'd be worth a little BTCBTCBTC to me.
happydaze

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:23:29 PM

Improving the cooling should be helpful.  Get some air flowing through the chamber would be the least intrusive.  "Blade" style like the guys here did.
Adding heatsinks help but now you're making visible changes.

J4bberwock & nst6563 would know for sure if a "pencil mod" would be beneficial or too risky.  Maybe it could help reduce HW errors at slight overclock speeds.  The results would not be precise though.  If you reduce the resistance too much the voltage will get too high and you could see smoke  Shocked  There's no way to put the smoke back in once you let it out.  Cheesy

The volt mod so far is replacing one small resistor.  I actually paralleled a resistor using what I had on hand.  You need a steady hand and a very fine tip on a soldering iron.  Cooling comes first.  They're mini heaters.

happydaze

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:27:24 PM

First Fury 24hr avg just got to 1,572 kH/s
I have to try to remember what I did 24 hrs ago ..........
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: