Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:30:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Fury/Blizzard tuning and mods  (Read 115211 times)
nst6563 (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 11:31:30 PM

Hey Darkwinde - I've been testing out your latest bfgminer on my rpi with 2 Fury's.  I'm getting VERY inconsistent results.  Although the hashrate shows higher, I get a VERY high number of reject compared to Dmaxl's builds of cgminer on Nicehash, and otherwise a wildly fluctuating hashrate (same speeds between cgminer and bfgminer).  Is there some setting I'm missing?  Must be because I see so many others that are getting good results with it....

cgminer is highlighted in black, bfgminer in red.  The tests were performed against the Nicehash pool, I just switched to coinking for a bit when I took the screenshot and noticed nowhere near the level of rejects as on Nicehash...but I still see a very erratic hashrate which fluctuates down to near 0 at times and upwards of 7.
*image removed*
crap...forgive the typo in your name on the pic...

..."darkwine" is a nice nick...LOL... Grin

Just kidding...

BTW, did you really got 1.71MH on your Fury(s)... Huh

Cheers,

ZiG

Well, the clock was set to 381 and that's what bfgminer was reporting...but poolside was VERY inconsistent.  I couldn't tell what hashrate it was getting.

Poolside:

Starminer report:

In the starminer graph, the usage of bfgminer on coinking starts at the Thur 18:00 mark.
Poolside was all over the place.  I'm going to go back to dmaxl's cgminer and do a run with it on the same pool for the same amount of time to see if the poolside graph looks different.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
happydaze

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 12:22:31 AM

I just learned something looking at your screen shot.  I didn't realize the coinking graph keeps tracking hashrate as long as you're logged on.  I've been logging on and checking then exiting.  the graph was only a couple of minutes.

It'll smooth out with cgminer.  I'm still running the first release. 
ZiG

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 05:07:05 AM

Finally got my 5 BlizzardsFurys from GAWMiners... Grin

Up and hashing in 15 minutes...340MHz...1.38-1.41MH each ...not BAD at all...

Cheers,

ZiG
kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 05:45:30 AM

Cheers,

ZiG

328 is mostly better for furys. u have no issues?

ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 06:06:27 AM

Cheers,

ZiG

328 is mostly better for furys. u have no issues?

So far...so good...no issues... Grin

Will see tomorrow ...
Darkwinde

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 08:44:18 AM

As far as I know coinking and nicehash are pools which do not work well.
Multipool.us and clevermining are really great... Also others report that single coin pools also working...

Got a Thunder x3 with male connectors grrrr now I have to fix this fabric fail to get it running. Hope my PC dealer has some 6 pin extenders to use instead of cutting the wires of my PSU

Got replay from shipping team  Roll Eyes  they will send out 4 replacement wires Cheesy WUHUUU but do not think that this will arrive prior Thursday Sad
So I still have to do a bit customizing to the connectors to get started today ^^

LongAndShort
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1050

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 09:13:18 AM

Multipool.us and clevermining are really great... Also others report that single coin pools also working...

Got a Thunder x3 with male connectors grrrr now I have to fix this fabric fail to get it running. Hope my PC dealer has some 6 pin extenders to use instead of cutting the wires of my PSU

Got replay from shipping team  Roll Eyes  they will send out 4 replacement wires Cheesy WUHUUU but do not think that this will arrive prior Thursday Sad
So I still have to do a bit customizing to the connectors to get started today ^^

Yeah 4 males is weird but seems like they were setup to plug straight into the psu
Darkwinde

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 09:21:47 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2014, 10:17:31 AM by Darkwinde

Yeah 4 males is weird but seems like they were setup to plug straight into the psu

correct but a manufacturer cannot expect that everybody has a modular PSU with explicit 4 female PCI-E connectors as IN.
My PSU has this not as it combines two PCI-E 8 PINs to a 16 PIN IN with a Pin placement like:
0 0 0 0 12 12 12 12
0 0 0 0 12 12 12 12

so no chance without cutting the rope to get it fit Smiley

So the best would be that Zeus uses wire with female connectors in stock and places 4 additional male connectors to the package that all setups can be covered Smiley but this would be the German approach I think Cheesy

Here is the distribution matrix of my PSU...
http://www.lepatek.de/uploads/RTEmagicC_Rail-Distribution-LEPA-G1600.jpg.jpg

yes double ".jpg" Smiley

Darkwinde

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 11:46:04 PM

Got only one female adapter Sad
Nevertheless one blade is now running with 7.2 MH/s, 2.6% Reject, 4.8% HW Error  at 340MHz
As the rest of the connectirs will not be delivered prior Monday I will use the time to clean up the other blades and give some MX-2 to them Wink

Shattered

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 02:02:11 AM

There are people on Hashtrader speculating that it's gameover period for GEN A miner. What do you guys think ?

Well a Fury would net like 64 cents a day mining straight LTC right now according to CoinWars. 71 cents mining Doge. It goes lower every couple of days.  So it won't surprise me at all if people stop buying equipment at current prices.

I was surprised to see the current weeks price for the Fury is the same as last week.
Wouldnt surprise me to see it for sale around $69.95 within the next 30 days
Crypto84

Activity: 120

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:55:22 PM

anyone burn out there fury yet from overclocking? if so at what point did it fail?
J4bberwock

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 05:07:31 PM

anyone burn out there fury yet from overclocking? if so at what point did it fail?

The power circuit can handle way more than what the overvolt needs.
Zeus even removed one of the power MOSFETs from the lower gate to save a few cents on the build price in the newer ones I received.

You should be safe with proper cooling of the 6 mining chips.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
winter
Legendary

Activity: 1338

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 05:56:45 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2014, 08:49:20 PM by winter

I just have to say i been reading this thread and thanks to alot of the info here

1.) i set the clock to 338 ( seems to get me the best results )
2.) i wiped off all the thermal paste that was on the board ( what was that crap )  - I added better MX paste to one of the units / the other i used atric sliver 5 paste
3.) running now 20 mins and 0 HW errors before it was at least 2 HW errors in that time frame.
4.) i did not do the overclock yet - I might do it who knows ( is it really worth it ? )
5.) getting 1.3MH to 1.4MH per board right now

has anyone mounted two units together ?
i plan on running to home depot and getting a few bolts that will help me do this. thinking of placing 2 together and maybe 1 on top of the 2 for a total of 3 units running together

seems both paste work alot better then the paste that was put on in the factory i would tell everyone with these units to do the paste over asap.
Junkbarman

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 06:27:20 PM

tl:dr the entire thread.

Are people having better results with Furys or Blizzards?

Or, are Furys owners having great results with their Furys and Blizzard owners having great results with their Bizzards?  Cheesy
J4bberwock

Activity: 840

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:31:33 PM

has anyone mounted two units together ?
i plan on running to home depot and getting a few bolts that will help me do this. thinking of placing 2 together and maybe 1 on top of the 2 for a total of 3 units running together

Look for my mini-blade mod.
Except for the 2 side panels and a 60mm fan, you don't need any material.
1mm thick side panels allow you to use bolts an screws from the existing fan to attach both blizzard together.
And I use the same bolts and screws to attach the 60mm fan.
60x35mm fan is very noisy but gives me the best cooling. They are cheap if you look for second hand HP server parts.
Fractal design 60mm 20cfm 17db is nice and silent, but 20cfm is just enough after voltmod. Don't go lower.

I'm currently working on a mini-blade X3 design that should be ready by Monday.
Triple overclocked Blizzard for 4.8-5.1MH/s

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
winter
Legendary

Activity: 1338

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 08:16:50 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2014, 08:50:38 PM by winter

thanks for the info i just made my 2 units in to 1 Smiley
simple i just took out the 8 screws for the fans and then used 4 screws 2 on each side to go threw the board to the other heatsink and then used the bolt to connect.
I will post a pic in a few mins.

I connect these to a psu in a computer

I get WU : 26XX to 27XX with these connected just like this.
now i just need another one of these to add to my 3rd one i have so i can built it just like this one Smiley
how much extra hash do you get from overclocking ?

KC6TTR

Activity: 434
Merit: 259

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 09:59:34 PM

First post here so please be kind!  Grin

I had a few hours yesterday morning and gave myself a little 4th of July holiday challenge:
1.Take a few of my Blizzards/Furies from my mini-farm.
2.With ONLY a tray of various screws/wires, thermal paste, and some mini-heatsinks, use the parts that make-up the stock units and reconfigure the design to:
A. Consolidate cooling.
B. Consolidate size.
C. (Hopefully) improve performance.
3.Enjoy a nice cold Hefeweizen and whistle while I work!

(Items also present on my work bench = Weller soldering iron + solder, razor blade, Phillips head, and hex head drivers)

After repasting and improving the PCB to aluminum casing thermal transfer, the mini-heatsinks were applied to each individual ASIC. Next, I combined the V+ input of each set of (2) miner boards before running a new power feed line to the rear of each pair. I then soldered one of the available fans to one of the available PCB's. Everything is now reinstalled in to each cashing set and joined with the original fan housing bolts, which are also used to [temporarily] secure the now vertically mounted blower-fans. Just for extra cooling assurance, one of the other extra fans is plugged in to the stock location on the PCB and retained on the top of my "mini-tower of 5.5MH/s power" by seating it so its mount holes securely rest on the union bolt/nut tips. Lastly, to keep each pair of miners level, two M3x40mm hex-head bolts w/ nylon lock nuts are used in place of the (2) rear PCB mount screws on the lower miner of each pair. Now each pair of miners can be stacked and hooked up!

My opinion of the results: Veni, vidi, vici!

Overall, the units are running cooler and I can see approximately a 10-15% improvement in hashing effectiveness - including less HW errors (only approx. 10 over a range of 1000 accepted shares with less than 5 rejected shares). I am going to continue to test and see how it does over the weekend.

Update: Now I have 8 units made into 2 towers. Numbers @ 340MHz are looking good (see below).  Cool

Scott-

nst6563 (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 10:46:18 PM

First post here so please be kind!  Grin

I had a few hours yesterday morning and gave myself a little 4th of July holiday challenge:
1.Take a few of my Blizzards/Furies from my mini-farm.
2.With ONLY a tray of various screws/wires, thermal paste, and some mini-heatsinks, use the parts that make-up the stock units and reconfigure the design to:
A. Consolidate cooling.
B. Consolidate size.
C. (Hopefully) improve performance.
3.Enjoy a nice cold Hefeweizen and whistle while I work!

(Items also present on my work bench = Weller soldering iron + solder, razor blade, Phillips head, and hex head drivers)

After repasting and improving the PCB to aluminum casing thermal transfer, the mini-heatsinks were applied to each individual ASIC. Next, I combined the V+ input of each set of (2) miner boards before running a new power feed line to the rear of each pair. I then soldered one of the available fans to one of the available PCB's. Everything is now reinstalled in to each cashing set and joined with the original fan housing bolts, which are also used to [temporarily] secure the now vertically mounted blower-fans. Just for extra cooling assurance, one of the other extra fans is plugged in to the stock location on the PCB and retained on the top of my "mini-tower of 5.5MH/s power" by seating it so its mount holes securely rest on the union bolt/nut tips. Lastly, to keep each pair of miners level, two M3x40mm hex-head bolts w/ nylon lock nuts are used in place of the (2) rear PCB mount screws on the lower miner of each pair. Now each pair of miners can be stacked and hooked up!

My opinion of the results: Veni, vidi, vici!

Overall, the units are running cooler and I can see approximately a 10-15% improvement in hashing effectiveness - including less HW errors (only approx. 10 over a range of 1000 accepted shares with less than 5 rejected shares). I am going to continue to test and see how it does over the weekend.

Update: Now I have 8 units made into 2 towers. Numbers @ 340MHz are looking good (see below).  Cool

Scott-
*Images snipped*

Nice work.  What software are you using to control them?   

It's beyond me why they didn't put all the connectors on one end in the first place...stupid design to plug crap into both ends if you ask me.
I just converted all my equipment over to 220v/240v circuits.  I have some more hardware arriving this week and really had nothing better to do besides mow the grass.  Figured I may as well get as much efficiency out of the power being used as I could.
jekv2

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 10:51:53 PM

I just converted all my equipment over to 220v/240v circuits.  I have some more hardware arriving this week and really had nothing better to do besides mow the grass.  Figured I may as well get as much efficiency out of the power being used as I could.

Amp readings before and after? Awesome you did this... At least amp readings? Amps should be very much lower. More efficient and less electricity. In theory.

Edit, picture of the job?
KaTXi

Activity: 192

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 11:01:29 PM

I have a transferable $105.6 coupon from Zeus (bought 2 Blizzards on may). Any takers for 0.15 BTCs ?

Poollo.com. Multi-Coin Anonymous Pool, No need to register!! Mine with us at 0.9% fees only.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: