Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:00:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Payout Updates] Bitcoinica site is taken offline for security investigation  (Read 156628 times)
tbcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 11:13:25 PM

$6.58

very frustrating

Sorry for my bad english Wink
Bitcoin card for deposit and payment + Little POS
Donations:1N65efiNUhH6sEQg7Z6oUC76kJS9Yhevyf

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 11:24:08 PM

Maybe the bitcoinica guys are buying back the bitcoins they need to fully pay us back...Hahaha, JK!!  Seriously though, take your time guys, get it right.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 12:00:25 AM

I just finished answering the emails people sent to me asking about their claim's status. If you didn't receive a reply yet then email me again.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 12:09:04 AM

Maybe the bitcoinica guys are buying back the bitcoins they need to fully pay us back...Hahaha, JK!!  Seriously though, take your time guys, get it right.

Actually, that wouldn't surprise me.

I'm grumpy!!
hatshepsut

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 12:33:04 AM

May 14, 2012
We are returning all balances AND your unrealized P/L. And we are glad to settle at a negative-spread price, i.e. if you have a profitable position, your get even more; if you have a losing position, you lose less.

So what happens when we spike up?

like right now?

Are you returning all balances AND our unrealized P/L as if we never had a position to begin with?

Quote from: jjiimm_64 link=topic=81045.msg899864#msg899864
4.998    4.99854   is a spike up ??

and here I got all excited when I read your 'spike up post'  just to find out the market moved like 1% from last night!

It's a spike up from 4,80 and it's only getting higher.

And here we are, almost two dollars higher.

Give us our money back.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 12:39:23 AM

I just remembered something. Bitcoin was not the only option available for getting funds in and out of Bitcoinica. What about all those who've deposited via those other means? Are those people kept abreast about this episode?

Deposit by AurumXchange (Liberty Reserve, Pecunix, SEPA, Wire Transfer, Cash Deposit) (translated)

AurumXchange is an official funding partner of Bitcoinica. This service enables Bitcoin traders to rapidly fund their accounts using a variety of electronic currencies, as well as Wire Transfers and SEPA transfers.

We currently support the following funding methods:

E-Currencies:

Liberty Reserve (Instant funding - Free)
PerfectMoney (Instant funding - 1% Fee)
Pecunix (Instant funding - Free)
HD-Money (Instant funding - Free)
VouchX Vouchers (Instant funding - Free)
CosmicPay (Instant funding - Free)
C-Gold (Instant funding - 5% Fee)
SolidTrustPay (Within 1 to 2 business days - 8% Fee)

Banking and other payment methods:

SEPA Euro transfers (Within 1 business day - Free)
International Wire Transfer in USD (Within 1 to 2 business days - Free)
Wire Transfer in GBP (Within 1 to 2 business days - Free)
CASH deposit at 10,000 locations in the USA (Within 1 hour)
INSTANT EURO BANK TRANSFERS (Coming soon!)
LOCAL AUSTRALIAN BANK DEPOSITS (Coming soon!)

Once your order is completed, you will receive your funds in the form of a redeemable Bitcoinica code. We DO NOT require notarized and/or apostile of documentation when funding with wires. Note that fees may change occasionally due to market conditions.
iamapi

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 12:39:59 AM

Actually I sent you at lease 3 mails to inquiry my claim status but no mail was replied.

I just finished answering the emails people sent to me asking about their claim's status. If you didn't receive a reply yet then email me again.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 12:47:23 AM

Ah but when what they SHOULD be doing runs into what they ARE doing in support of this massive scam, too bad no soup for you! Looks like the favorite good old boys will get 50 cents on the dollar, and the rest of the world, whom they think too small to take action, will get the "oh, so sorry, bad records don't you know, wasn't our fault, we just came to the party after she was already pregnant, evil hackzorz stole all the good records, (except the ones we need to actually pull funds out for ourselves...).

Another graduate from the Mr.Bitcoins/Bitscalper/Shakuru/MyBitcoin/Bitomat School of Business Ethics is making his mark on bitcoin. Yay, everybody get ready for the shafting... its coming any minute now.

My dick gets hard when I read your posts, but keep this between us.  Grin
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 12:52:12 AM

Wow this is getting out of hand  Grin

Fact is, they had been lucky to have over a month of stability, but I guess it wasn't going to last forever and BTC valuation would have to move either way.

Some people are missing big on this.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 01:59:00 AM

Also, has anyone received ANYTHING back or are these just stalling tactics until they can really pack their Interbags too Huh

Unless they all change their names (as in Christian Names/First Names etc) and begin life once again under assumed identities, I couldn't see anyone belonging to the Bitcoinica Consultancy or financially tied to them in any way, shape or form, EVER being given the chance to handle the informed public's money ever again.

This has been 'Stalling-101' at it's finest....but then again, what do ANY of them have to look forward to after this is finally over and done with ? Bitcoinica 2.0 3.0 ?

As far as their futures in Finance and Technology, I wouldn't trust any of these clowns with the pocket change found in between the cushions of my couch or the management of a blank/empty USB thumbdrive.

I am sure there are a few proud families out there, somewhere in the world tonight....that's for sure. It's just too bad that they can't see this first hand and see what the fruits of their loins have accomplished in life.

genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 02:26:33 AM

I am sure there are a few proud families out there, somewhere in the world tonight....that's for sure. It's just too bad that they can't see this first hand and see what the fruits of their loins have accomplished in life.

Fuck you asshole. Our data is rubbish. What would you have us do? Refund every scammer? Or maybe just friends/people on this forum leaving out those not in the community. I never even touched Bitcoinica, and here I am going through hundreds of lines of nonsensical numbers and writing emails, not code. Your guilt by association is retarded considering we've run our own service for 2 years no without a single login or problem incident. Bitcoinica was a load of crap that had been broken into twice before due to incompetence and Tihan realised this, and rushed to acquire us. I was just looking at a piece of code for hedging and saw 3 bugs and numerous hacks to work around flaws. It doesn't surprise me that third time lucky it blows up.

The data is incomplete. To build a case you need to understand the big picture. Once you make a refund, you aren't getting the money back. I think only the scammers are making noise here to rush the process for their selfish gains. The most claimants so far that have emailed me have been very polite because they don't want to jeopardise their claim.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 02:34:07 AM

Fuck you asshole. Our data is rubbish. What would you have us do? Refund every scammer? Or maybe just friends/people on this forum leaving out those not in the community. I never even touched Bitcoinica, and here I am going through hundreds of lines of nonsensical numbers and writing emails, not code. Your guilt by association is retarded considering we've run our own service for 2 years no without a single login or problem incident. Bitcoinica was a load of crap that had been broken into twice before due to incompetence and Tihan realised this, and rushed to acquire us. I was just looking at a piece of code for hedging and saw 3 bugs and numerous hacks to work around flaws. It doesn't surprise me that third time lucky it blows up.

The data is incomplete. To build a case you need to understand the big picture. Once you make a refund, you aren't getting the money back. I think only the scammers are making noise here to rush the process for their selfish gains. The most claimants so far that have emailed me have been very polite because they don't want to jeopardise their claim.
Person behind keyboard instead of robot, VERIFIED.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4303

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 02:40:49 AM

Person behind keyboard instead of robot, VERIFIED.

ROFL!!

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:14:09 AM

Also, has anyone received ANYTHING back or are these just stalling tactics until they can really pack their Interbags too Huh

Unless they all change their names (as in Christian Names/First Names etc) and begin life once again under assumed identities, I couldn't see anyone belonging to the Bitcoinica Consultancy or financially tied to them in any way, shape or form, EVER being given the chance to handle the informed public's money ever again.

This has been 'Stalling-101' at it's finest....but then again, what do ANY of them have to look forward to after this is finally over and done with ? Bitcoinica 2.0 3.0 ?

As far as their futures in Finance and Technology, I wouldn't trust any of these clowns with the pocket change found in between the cushions of my couch or the management of a blank/empty USB thumbdrive.

Admittedly, I haven't always been the most mature person around here and I'm sure I've said some things that have offended people, but that was pretty harsh.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:31:22 AM

+1, that took a while
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 03:32:48 AM

I was just looking at a piece of code for hedging and saw 3 bugs and numerous hacks to work around flaws. It doesn't surprise me that third time lucky it blows up.

Care to point out the 3 bugs and various hacks?

I know it's not world-class code, but isn't it just business logic and nothing else?

class HedgingJob

@queue = :normal

def self.perform

confidence_level = Setting.where(:key => "confidence_level").first.value.to_f
    surplus = Setting.where(:key => "surplus").first.value.to_f
    if Setting.where(:key => "buy_factor").first
      buy_factor = Setting.where(:key => "buy_factor").first.value.to_f
      sell_factor = Setting.where(:key => "sell_factor").first.value.to_f
    else
      buy_factor = 1
      sell_factor = 1
    end

if surplus.abs > confidence_level
      amount = surplus.abs - confidence_level
      if surplus > 0
        amount *= buy_factor
        price = Ticker.last_tick("BTCUSD").selling * 1.02
        response = MtGox.buy!(amount, price)
        Setting.change_surplus(0-amount/buy_factor)
      else
        amount *= sell_factor
        price = Ticker.last_tick("BTCUSD").buying / 1.02
        response = MtGox.sell!(amount, price)
        amount = 0 - amount
        Setting.change_surplus(0-amount/sell_factor)
      end

Trade.create(:amount => amount, :price => price, :response => response.to_s[0..253])

end

end

end

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4303

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:36:46 AM

Admittedly, I haven't always been the most mature person around here and I'm sure I've said some things that have offended people, but that was pretty harsh.

I think I agree with this, if they were just taking the BTC and running why the fuck would they still be hanging out here taking the abuse?  They have a scrambled db and 10,000 motherfuckers trying to scam them. 

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:44:42 AM

I think I agree with this, if they were just taking the BTC and running why the fuck would they still be hanging out here taking the abuse?  They have a scrambled db and 10,000 motherfuckers trying to scam them. 

Yeah, I really don't think there's anything nefarious going on.  I do think there's some confusion between the managers, as we have gotten some conflicting reports.  I think Amir has expressed one of the biggest reasons for the delay, and it has to do with the nature of bitcoin - once they send them out, there's no going back.  I think it's the right thing to do to be as confident as possible, and it's a shame (but totally unsurprising) that people polluted the claims process with bogus claims.

I actually underestimated my claim because it had been so long since I logged in and I couldn't remember what it was exactly, and I didn't want to overshoot it and appear to be trying to take advantage of the fact that they were missing so much data.  So, even if I get back 100% of my claim, I won't be getting back all the bitcoins I had in there.

Ichthyo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:49:24 AM

I was just looking at a piece of code for hedging and saw 3 bugs and numerous hacks to work around flaws. It doesn't surprise me that third time lucky it blows up.

class HedgingJob
    confidence_level = Setting.where(:key => "confidence_level").first.value.to_f
    surplus = Setting.where(:key => "surplus").first.value.to_f
    if Setting.where(:key => "buy_factor").first
      buy_factor = Setting.where(:key => "buy_factor").first.value.to_f
      sell_factor = Setting.where(:key => "sell_factor").first.value.to_f
    else
      buy_factor = 1
      sell_factor = 1
    end

price = Ticker.last_tick("BTCUSD").selling * 1.02
        response = MtGox.buy!(amount, price)

I know it's not world-class code, but isn't it just business logic and nothing else?

Nothing else, exactly, thats the point.

Since you posted that code, well.
Its the typical kind of code which assumes everything goes well and works as intended.

There is absolutely zero checks and precautions to protect against anything not as assumed, and moreover, that piece of code does asssume a whole pile of things. Just the thought that such code runs automatically and trades several thousands of $$ makes me feel sick...

Sorry for being so blatant
Ichthyo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:52:26 AM

But for sake of fairness, we should add the following:

Bitcoinica didn't break down because of its code quality. It was due to "other circumstances"
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 »
  Print  

Jump to: