Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:31:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Payout Updates] Bitcoinica site is taken offline for security investigation  (Read 156628 times)
phantomcircuit

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 10:22:33 PM

There aren't enough hours in the day to give a meaningful response to the emails sent to verify@bitcoinica.com

We do however use the information sent to it when checking a claim

Any and all information you have should be sent there, but hold off on MtGox codes for now as we are working with them to get that information (with the users consent of course).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinft

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 11:44:18 PM

There aren't enough hours in the day to give a meaningful response to the emails sent to verify@bitcoinica.com

Any and all information you have should be sent there, but hold off on MtGox codes for now as we are working with them to get that information (with the users consent of course).

It takes what, an hour?, to set up an auto reply explaining just this -- without delay and not in a forum post 2 month after.

That small gesture would make feel many of us better and reduce hostility here.

I felt a lot better when I got my 50% confirmation, even though I still don't hold any coin.

-coinft
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 11:48:09 PM

Ok.  I thought I had read that we could request our claim status through that email, and so I had sent a couple request but hadn't heard anything; and now it sounds like we won't get responses through that address.  Is that right?  Is there any way to check on our status?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Maria

Activity: 832
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 11:54:17 PM

No one. The ID supplied was using for AML purposes, not credit check or identification. This time the ID provides is used to verify identication only.

The claim accuracy and account ownership are much more important than IDs. I'm not surprised if the IDs are not being touched at all.

Anyway, Bitcoinica Consultancy has the right to obtain any document from me.

So you DID sell the documents and private information .

Question for the forum: How much does each of the following go for?

5000 +  User emails =

3000 Drivers Licenses (not only USA, but from ANY and EVERY corner of the globe) =

List of Home and Postal Addresses  =

List of Phone numbers =

The Jackpot 3,000 + Worldwide Passports =

And lets not forget that these are all TOP Quality scans and are matched up.

And we must also take into consideration, that all of these documents are not random ordinary documents. They are bitcoin users, I am sure that adds extra value to all mentioned above. CIA or FBI mught want to have a copy of that archive for sure.

Maria.

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4308

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:34:42 AM

The FBI/CIA is interested in speculators? As little faith as I have in the intelligence of our elected representatives, I'd like to think the CIA/FBI is a bit more aware of the nature of Bitcoin and specifically Bitcoinica users. While I'm sure the money laundering / drug dealing types overlap a little with the Bitcoinica speculators, I doubt it is really that much of an overlap (and probably an even smaller one when you narrow it down to the users who submitted ID).

they are probably more interested in the open source currency revolutionists than the drug market...look who they work for

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Krakonos

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 09:25:13 AM

Ok.  I thought I had read that we could request our claim status through that email, and so I had sent a couple request but hadn't heard anything; and now it sounds like we won't get responses through that address.  Is that right?  Is there any way to check on our status?

Genjix offered you can write to his own address (genjix@riseup.net) for claim status. I did and got answer the next day I think.

Tip jar: 1MWj8Etpt3ayLG5AvXwhtEU42szJD2m97z
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:32:01 AM

Ok.  I thought I had read that we could request our claim status through that email, and so I had sent a couple request but hadn't heard anything; and now it sounds like we won't get responses through that address.  Is that right?  Is there any way to check on our status?

Genjix offered you can write to his own address (genjix@riseup.net) for claim status. I did and got answer the next day I think.

Thank you, I missed that.  Did you send along any info to identify yourself or did he give you a claim status based on the email you sent the request from?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Krakonos

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:43:36 AM

Thank you, I missed that.  Did you send along any info to identify yourself or did he give you a claim status based on the email you sent the request from?

I sent it from email that belonged to my account and gave the login I used on bitcoinica.

Tip jar: 1MWj8Etpt3ayLG5AvXwhtEU42szJD2m97z
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:52:28 AM

I sent it from email that belonged to my account and gave the login I used on bitcoinica.

Thanks.

realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:20:16 AM

I'm on my third "shouting into the void" email to them now.

All I'm trying to establish at the moment is a method of secure communication.  I get nothing back.

How many fewer emails would you get if you communicated more though?

I'm on my third attempt, and I am probably not the noisiest customer you have.
  • Post a GPG key for verify@bitcoinica.com
  • Reply to emails with an encrypted secret URL that sets a flag in your claim database
  • Ta-da.  Secure bi-directional communication established.
  • The above could be automated... "hours in the day" becomes irrelevant

Your claim page solicits additional supporting information on verify@bitcoinica.com and yet you provide no method to let us do that securely.  You've just experienced what happens when email gets subverted... you don't seriously expect anyone with any security consciousness to email you copies of their passports, bank account information, or in fact any personal information at all?

Again: GPG KEY.  GPG KEY.  GPG KEY.  Then push reply, write "received" and push send.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 12:08:13 PM

You think? I have no doubt the US government opposes the philosophy behind bitcoin, but they're probably far from making any move on it, as it isn't even close to a threat to fiat yet.

Tell that to Bernard von Nothaus. Liberty Dollar wasn't even close to as big as bitcoin when they got raided.

I'm grumpy!!
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 12:24:48 PM

You think? I have no doubt the US government opposes the philosophy behind bitcoin, but they're probably far from making any move on it, as it isn't even close to a threat to fiat yet.

Tell that to Bernard von Nothaus. Liberty Dollar wasn't even close to as big as bitcoin when they got raided.
That's because he was passing off his shit as genuine US currency. The secret service doesn't like forgers.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 01:08:18 PM

That's because he was passing off his shit as genuine US currency. The secret service doesn't like forgers.

patently false

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 01:42:08 PM

I was mistakenly missing 1 file when processing the claims which I've now got. I'll now be able to confirm more people now that I might not have before.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 01:43:37 PM

patently false

he did call it a dollar and pass it off as currency.  i like what he did but he was stupid on how he marketed it and what he called it.

this is accurate, I agree

Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 01:49:14 PM

I was mistakenly missing 1 file when processing the claims which I've now got. I'll now be able to confirm more people now that I might not have before.

Any news on when people that are marked as "accurate" get (part of) their funds? You said some people already received 50% of their funds. How was it decided that they could get a payment, while other people with an account marked as "accurate" received nothing so far?

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:13:11 PM

Any news on when people that are marked as "accurate" get (part of) their funds? You said some people already received 50% of their funds. How was it decided that they could get a payment, while other people with an account marked as "accurate" received nothing so far?

People are divided into different classes depending on how certain we are of their claim. As we move through verifying accounts, we become more certain. Once everyone is refunded for 50% we then double back through all refunds and refund the last 50% at the very end.
iamapi

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:17:42 PM

Did you monitor verify@bitcoinica.com?
I sent several mails to that address but never got response...
And how could I know which information is mismatch since it said my password hash doesn't exist.

Thanks!

People are divided into different classes depending on how certain we are of their claim. As we move through verifying accounts, we become more certain. Once everyone is refunded for 50% we then double back through all refunds and refund the last 50% at the very end.
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:28:16 PM

I would personally sleep a lot easier if, even were you still delaying payments, I had some indication that I was in the "accurate" pile.  If not then it's a matter of finding a mutually acceptable set of information that would get me in that pile.  Once I am, I can shut up and wait for you to finish.

At this point, getting the money back is a lower priority than getting an assurance that I will get the money back.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 02:49:43 PM

I would personally sleep a lot easier if, even were you still delaying payments, I had some indication that I was in the "accurate" pile.  If not then it's a matter of finding a mutually acceptable set of information that would get me in that pile.  Once I am, I can shut up and wait for you to finish.

At this point, getting the money back is a lower priority than getting an assurance that I will get the money back.

Send an email to Genjix directly: genjix@riseup.net
I've had really fast replies from him that way, and he confirmed my account was marked as "accurate".
Kudos to Genjix!

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 »
  Print  

Jump to: