Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:49:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 [422] 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] FACTOM - Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping  (Read 2115842 times)
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 04:37:01 AM

is it more safe to run enterprice locally then online? Started to read the docs going to try to run it locally if its more safe

Both are 100% safe

Thanks my wallet is almost synced. Took a few hours is that normal? In the docs they where talking about a waiting time af making a cup of tea? Also I cant seem to find where I can encrypt the wallet? Is it me or cant you really encrypt the enterprise wallet ?

You can't encrypt it. That s why I suggest to keep it exclusively on an offline machine. Turn it on only for transactions.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Clonekiller

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 09:39:30 AM

Just tested the enterprice wallet a few times .
I'm happy with it but  be carreful and save the facom_wallet data base file or your funds can be lost ! If you don't have the private key.
I can transfer my poloniex coins safe!
bamsterdam

Activity: 453
Merit: 261

Look Morty magic internet money

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 08:12:22 PM

is it more safe to run enterprice locally then online? Started to read the docs going to try to run it locally if its more safe

Both are 100% safe

Thanks my wallet is almost synced. Took a few hours is that normal? In the docs they where talking about a waiting time af making a cup of tea? Also I cant seem to find where I can encrypt the wallet? Is it me or cant you really encrypt the enterprise wallet ?

You can't encrypt it. That s why I suggest to keep it exclusively on an offline machine. Turn it on only for transactions.

Hmm that doesn't sound like anything I want to trust my factoids with.. Going to check out the papermil wallet think thats the best option but I really hate the idea of sending coins to a address where I cant see if the coins are there.. pff but leaving it on polo isnt a option either.. hmm okay thanks anyway for all the tips guys
lolikop

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 08:32:30 PM

Both are 100% safe

Hmm that doesn't sound like anything I want to trust my factoids with.. Going to check out the papermil wallet think thats the best option but I really hate the idea of sending coins to a address where I cant see if the coins are there.. pff but leaving it on polo isnt a option either.. hmm okay thanks anyway for all the tips guys

u can

https://explorer.factom.org/
bamsterdam

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 08:55:40 PM

Both are 100% safe

u can

https://explorer.factom.org/

Sorry what do you mean by this? its the block explorer of factom right?
palawan

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 09:16:16 PM

Both are 100% safe

The inability to password-protect the factom enterprise wallet is unfortunate but (imho) it's easy to secure your factoids by running enterprise wallet in a clean linux os environment.

Download vmware player and install xubuntu in a virtual machine. Perform update on the os and reboot.  To install enterprise wallet is one command "sudo dpkg -i enterprise-wallet-setup-amd64.deb".  I don't remember if there are any dependencies needed but I can help if you run into any problems.

For the factomd that the enterprise wallet needs to connect to, you have 3 options.  1. factomd on the host machine, 2. factomd on a vps host you own, and 3. (i read a few pages back) factomd on the remote offered by the Factom foundation.  I'm running option 2 on an ubuntu vps, but it may not be so easy with updates, plus possible compiling from source, and opening ports on the vps for your enterprise wallet to be able to connect to, etc.  option 1 and option 3 are pretty easy, I think.  The default gateway for the vm is already set to the host machine.

Once enterprise wallet is synced (with any of the options for factomd), perform some small receive and send factoids until you feel comfortable.

Backup is important and in that vm, your wallet is in /home/yourUserName/.factom  but  be very careful if you're going to straight up copy it to the host or to a usb flash, as once again, it is not password-protected.  There are options to backing it up to an encrypted volume (i.e. veracrypt) and/or backup the whole vm (the xubuntu has a username/password so the vm does have security with limits)

This works for me and still get the peace of mind I have active controls of the factoids I own (able to send and receive as needed) and secure in a vm that has no malware as there's nothing else running or installed on the vm except enterprise wallet plus the xubuntu linux os.  ymmv

halu
bamsterdam

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 11:49:24 AM

Yo thanks for the tip but this is a little to technical for me I think  Grin I was lost on the first sentence since I dont know how to create a virtual machine on my pc Tongue Not familiar with linux in any way also. Still leaving my factoids in a wallet without encryption is just not a option for me unless like the paper wallet its not connected to internet in any way. I have to get over myself I guess and start using the paper wallet. Is theyre any way I can check somewhere if my factoids are in my wallet after I send the coins allthough I have the problem that it was connected to the internet if I check it somewhere lol  Undecided

I have a friend who would understand your post so when he is here I will ask him to look at it. Thanks anyway for your extensive post man. Cheers!
xiyuyoufeng

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 11:57:13 AM

Anyone know the new wallet already online?

eid

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 02:34:23 PM

Download vmware player and install xubuntu in a virtual machine. Perform update on the os and reboot.

I was under the impression that a virtual machine protects the host OS from possible malware from within the VM, but not the opposite. Am I wrong?
palawan

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 04:27:42 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2017, 04:50:36 PM by palawan

Download vmware player and install xubuntu in a virtual machine. Perform update on the os and reboot.

I was under the impression that a virtual machine protects the host OS from possible malware from within the VM, but not the opposite. Am I wrong?

It can be both.  The virtual machine is like a separate PC and if it's running linux, then even better.   A malware on the vm cannot harm the host, and a malware on the host (assuming windows os) cannot harm the vm, however if someone is able to control your host os, then they can start the vm and do damage, or "steal/copy" from the vm.

This would be very visible on the screen but if the host os is running at night and you're asleep, then...  Smiley

The idea is to secure the factom wallet from any malicious copying as it's not password-protected.  Running enterprise-wallet in a brand spanking new linux os and installing nothing else but enterprise-wallet using the one line command (well you do have to run the firefox on the xubuntu vm to go to github to download the factom enterprise wallet binary and maybe to run sha256sum to check the hash), voila, you're up and running with a good, clean enterprise-wallet.  The other challenge is to connect it to a factomd daemon, but that's a separate worry for now...

When the vm is shutdown (recommend to use the xubuntu "start" menu to shutdown after closing the enterprise-wallet application), then the factom wallet is "secure" not open for copying or deleting by anyone.  When you need it, just start/power on the vm.  [BACKUP (to outside of the vm) is important of the /home/userName/.factom folder to an encrypted container (i.e. veracrypt) as it's not password-protected.]

halu
palawan

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 04:43:37 PM

Yo thanks for the tip but this is a little to technical for me I think  Grin I was lost on the first sentence since I dont know how to create a virtual machine on my pc Tongue Not familiar with linux in any way also. Still leaving my factoids in a wallet without encryption is just not a option for me unless like the paper wallet its not connected to internet in any way. I have to get over myself I guess and start using the paper wallet. Is theyre any way I can check somewhere if my factoids are in my wallet after I send the coins allthough I have the problem that it was connected to the internet if I check it somewhere lol  Undecided

I have a friend who would understand your post so when he is here I will ask him to look at it. Thanks anyway for your extensive post man. Cheers!

You would be amazed how easy it is to run a virtual machine  Smiley   Downloading vmware-player from the vmware website is free (no cost) and downloading the xubuntu.iso is free (no cost) from their website.  When setting it up, I allocated 11GB disk space for the vm, 3072MB for ram, and 2 cpu's, so the vm runs well, but that requirement means your host PC has at least 8GB of ram.

If you only have 4GB ram, then you can drop it down to 2048MB RAM for the vm or even 1536MB, but if any less, it might be slow.  The cpu can also be set to 1 cpu.  Xubuntu runs xfce desktop environment which is low demand on resources.  Try to run 64bit vm as much as possible...

Remember the backup also and to keep in encrypted container (i.e. veracrypt which is also free, I believe, sorry I recommend it and I don't use it as I run linux on the host and vm and luks encryption is part of the os distribution).  Good luck and if your friend has questions, I'll try to answer...

halu
eid

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 07:19:37 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2017, 02:29:36 PM by eid

It can be both.  The virtual machine is like a separate PC and if it's running linux, then even better.   A malware on the vm cannot harm the host, and a malware on the host (assuming windows os) cannot harm the vm, however if someone is able to control your host os, then they can start the vm and do damage, or "steal/copy" from the vm.

Thanks for the info. I need to do more research obviously.

I do like your strategy for keeping your keys safe. I have been keeping mine in a truecrypt encrypted usb stick, with a symbolic link pointing from the .factom folder to the truecrypt mount folder. However, this is on a laptop which I use regularly for other stuff, so not as secure as your method.

I don't know why the Factom devs have chosen not to encrypt the wallet, but I'll feel better when a safer option comes along.
tempus
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1128

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 04:53:54 PM

Factom on twitter:

We are excited to be apart of the #Wancloud platform by Wanxiang Group in China.
http://m.nasdaq.com/article/sandbox-for-public-blockchain-projects-launched-in-china-by-wanxiang-group-cm789366

https://twitter.com/factom/status/864159556146003968

Quotes out of the article:

David Johnston, chairman of Factom, and Jed McCaleb, CEO of Stellar, spoke with Bitcoin Magazine about why they chose to be a part of WanCloud and how it aligns with their respective companies' goals.

"WanCloud platform is acting as a bridge between the advanced tech provided by U.S. entities and the huge market of potential users in China," said Johnston, "providing them a more transparent and secure use case set in important areas like data management and auditing where Factom has core competencies as a platform."

Zeen Zhang, CEO of Factom China, added, "This partnership is important for Factom China because it will make it easier for our product to reach and serve the needs of the end users in China. WanCloud is really adding value, helping us localize the platform for enterprise users and the large community of developers in China.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 08:58:33 AM

Where can I access the Factom slack?
tempus
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1128

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 10:45:02 AM

Where can I access the Factom slack?

Here: http://factom-slack.herokuapp.com/
Cryptoupp

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 12:02:48 PM

Hi,

I have all my FCT on poloniex and I would like to keep them on a desktop wallet. I have read that the best ones are Enterprise wallet and papermill.

I am not a tech guy so always I am struggling seting up the wallets. Which one of them is easier to install?

I need to buy a laptop and which one is recommended, pc or apple? are the wallets compatible with both of them?

Thanks!

OptimusPrime007

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 03:42:54 PM

Hi,

I have all my FCT on poloniex and I would like to keep them on a desktop wallet. I have read that the best ones are Enterprise wallet and papermill.

I am not a tech guy so always I am struggling seting up the wallets. Which one of them is easier to install?

I need to buy a laptop and which one is recommended, pc or apple? are the wallets compatible with both of them?

Thanks!

papermill is an utility which creates Factom address and Key for safe offline storage.
If you are using windows follow the steps in this message https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=850070.msg18978234#msg18978234 .

Once generated save it in a text file or print it on a paper.
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 03:46:45 PM

Hi,

Thanks!

Well, papermill is a cold storage option, no GUI at all. Enterprise wallet is a classic wallet where you can send and receive factoids. However, I suggest to keep that one on offline storage device at all times.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
OptimusPrime007

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 04:45:47 PM

Hi,

Thanks!

If you are investing, use a paper wallet (i.e. cold storage). If you are trading or gonna transact, use a desktop wallet so that you could transfer the coins as required.
I would recommend going for a Mac as it is less vulnerable than Windows. I am a software engineer on Microsoft platform, just FYI. Also subscribe for an Anti-Virus and try not to use this machine for daily use.
Though I would recommend keeping most of your coins offline in multiple addresses.

Cheers!!!

bitcoinvestor

Activity: 812
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 05:19:47 PM

Cool project, I may be getting involved in the crowdsale
This is a mega project. The project will be useful for old aset like old book. There would be a lot of people involve in it. Bounty program, I am waiting for it.
Pages: « 1 ... 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 [422] 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 »
  Print  

Jump to: