hurry up and get past 100 guys. i want to sell my next batch at 111.
on a more serious note.. does anyone else look at the order books and figure a more accurate price
of btc is -40K back of the highest bid?
It is hard to take a price of 92-93 serious when 40K in sold bitcoin drops the price down to approx 78.
it drops it... for a few hours...
well sure.. but anyone with serious btc has to chuckle at the current high bid.. knowing it is meaningless to them
if they truly wish to sell a chunk. they must sit there and calculate what they would really get when selling and it
aint 93 for example.
so i always look -40K back of the high bid for a more accurate value if some whales decide to sell.
fcmatt you appear to me to be conflating three things here: the risks associated with others selling, those of us (me) selling and an evaluation/estimate of BTC right now.
I'll cover them separately:
i) In the case of the risk of others (a whale) selling I agree with Holliday
A 40k buy takes us to approx $150. Is that more realistic?
Given past performance which is more likely: a selling whale or a buying whale? Of course if you believe we are at a peak and due for a significant reversal then basing your evaluation on the instance of the seller whale will better reflect your belief. However, without presenting your reasoning behind dismissing the opposite it seems odd to me to only consider one side.
ii) When it comes to the evaluation of my own BTC holding of course doing the multiplication based on last price is ludicrous especially if a bot a lot of the time is giving us a figure with zero depth. So yes, without doing the math into the bid depth for an actual calculation based on slippage it is probably not a bad means of estimating, depending on how much you'd be selling, to make a subtraction based on depth. Personally I wouldn't use MtGox for a major sell because don't trust that a significant chunk would make it out of Japan in a timely manner without additional costs and questions. Instead being fortunate enough to be in a district within many LocalBitcoin buyers (London) I do a screen scrape of them all to do a calculation based on advertised available amounts and prices to get an 'including slippage' evaluation. Of course unlike with an exchange I have to assume sellers have the amounts they say they do and that they would honour my order. However, given that, I don't think clicking 'Sell' for the max for each of the top sellers till I've sold all my coin then spending a day or two driving round London to do the transactions is the worst way of putting a price on my holding. In actuality I have no intention of buying pounds in any great numbers with my Bitcoin for a very long time if ever - and if I did I would explore the options to try and get the best price preferably from one seller - but if I want to put a provisional figure on it I don't think my method is that unreasonable.
iii) I don't think basing your current evaluation of Bitcoin (irrespective of your own holding) entirely on the assumption of a potential selling whale's actions is likely to give you anything realistic. There are so many factors to take into consideration, most of which would in my book have a bigger part in my estimation evaluation than your scenario, so I would venture to suggest you may be doing yourself a disservice if you're using your described scenario alone to justify not taking the current price seriously.