Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:44:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 282 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [UNOFFICIAL] [VNL] Vanillacoin 0.4.1 | Instant ▱ Incentivized ▱ Innovative  (Read 433436 times)
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:44:33 AM

why would a dev post a fake whitepaper / code? fudding his own project? its been bothering me since i read that.

I think there is a reason but it involves some empathy in order to logically understand.

We know he has been working on it for a long time, a year prior to launch.  Personally, I think he would have waited even longer if there wasn't a modicum of excitement and/or a need to start testing his code with an operating blockchain in real time.  Keep in mind, a ton of basic work went into his project before he even revealed that ZT was a thing...months.

Further, considering the more or less common knowledge that he is a 20 year vet within the P2P field, the decision to embark on this project as a full time job probably was made with much consideration.  Involved in that consideration was a knowledge of what the altcoin community is like.  Think about it for a second.  This is a terrible community.  Scams are everywhere, collaboration is close to 'not so much', scam devs are copying code and releasing new coins with promises in order to get the first 'spike pump' and then leave, and most of the threads in the altcoin community are peppered with inane BS that no sane person would tolerate in a normal social forum.

Chances are, he is very well aware of how toxic some aspects of the altcoin community are and has every intention of releasing material...but if it isn't ready then it isn't ready.  Further, providing misinformation, or mystery, is potentially a valid way to gain information on the community that he is working in tandem with.  I use the phrase 'in tandem' very loosely because the interaction is necessary but there is no real collaboration between devs and speculators.  It is an important distinction to make...

Jump into IRC and communicate with him - he talks every day.

If he says the white paper is coming with actual math (he posted a paragraph a few days ago) then it is coming.  He started this project wanting no hype and went months without it.  Very productive months.

It sounds fishy because you are used to a crypto alt scene that is fishy - I'm sure he thinks the same thing.  The thing is, he has delivered everything he has promised and then some.  Some of you seem to forget that he just released the bitstream for FPGA...do you have any idea what that means and how many other devs have done that (None)?

Be patient and see what happens...

Edit to add - I like the VNL community and aspects of other communities...but to be honest, there is no stopping people from muscling their internet posts.  Tis the reason why I referred to it as terrible.  Valid disclaimer and one that should be met with reflection rather than indignation...

I agree, and also add that people have become so accustomed to scammy untrustworthy behaviour they simply don't know how to deal with genuine projects in the alt coin community.....of which there are many. Plus it also reflects on som elf the accusers cause they are so scammy themselves they project that on others assuming everyone are scumbags like themselves.

I'm not suggesting people aren't cautious but there IS a middle ground where people don't assume everyone is out to scam them and actually are creating awesome things. Alt community is Bi Polar, they either hype and believe a new coin will end world hunger or that a coin is made my Satan to kill us all.....I miss the middle ground in discussions.....hard to find.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bangomatic
Legendary

Activity: 1246

ARK Team likes to ban and delete posts in reddit.

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:48:45 AM

There are also some false claims such as their staking being more energy efficient, when it is an exact line for line clone of Peercoin, just rewritten in C++ 11.

Videlicet was referring at that time to the code that John Connor had uploaded to github.  John later revealed that it was 'fake' code designed to throw off haters or whatever.

So, videlicet was correct about the code that he saw.  But it turned out that it wasn't the actual code of the coin.  Just a trick to throw off haters/catch people out/waste the time of code reviewers.

No, john was referring to the zerotime test code and fake whitepaper for zerotime, not the committed code that has been open sourced and able to be compiled for some time.

why would a dev post a fake whitepaper / code? fudding his own project? its been bothering me since i read that.

If he's just one person, with the speed he pumps out lines of code, he's truly a genius in my opinion; but sometimes he does things I don't understand, like that.

I believe his reasoning was that he would get a lot of devs to attack him because of obvious flaws and then when the real paper and code were released, they'd have to really look into it.

hmmmm. well its his call, he is the dev, but seems foolish to post fake code, because then you have a 100% chance of bringing FUD to your doorstep.  

But he showed a lot of so called experts were in fact scammy FUDers....you should be calling out them not a John Connor for exposing them....Personally I thought it was a great move. I would do something similar in his position if I had thought of it.

I dont think posting fake code / whitepaper could ever be a "great move" in any situation.
brownmon

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:50:31 AM

But he showed a lot of so called experts were in fact scammy FUDers....you should be calling out them not a John Connor for exposing them....Personally I thought it was a great move. I would do something similar in his position if I had thought of it.

What do you mean?  Who did JC expose as a scammy FUDder?
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:51:02 AM

There are also some false claims such as their staking being more energy efficient, when it is an exact line for line clone of Peercoin, just rewritten in C++ 11.

Videlicet was referring at that time to the code that John Connor had uploaded to github.  John later revealed that it was 'fake' code designed to throw off haters or whatever.

So, videlicet was correct about the code that he saw.  But it turned out that it wasn't the actual code of the coin.  Just a trick to throw off haters/catch people out/waste the time of code reviewers.

No, john was referring to the zerotime test code and fake whitepaper for zerotime, not the committed code that has been open sourced and able to be compiled for some time.

If he's just one person, with the speed he pumps out lines of code, he's truly a genius in my opinion; but sometimes he does things I don't understand, like that.

I believe his reasoning was that he would get a lot of devs to attack him because of obvious flaws and then when the real paper and code were released, they'd have to really look into it.

hmmmm. well its his call, he is the dev, but seems foolish to post fake code, because then you have a 100% chance of bringing FUD to your doorstep.  

I dont think posting fake code / whitepaper could ever be a "great move" in any situation.

Cause you're just a forum poster who never worked on a project for months to see it attacked by people....like yourself.

Grow up...
heartastack

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 05:55:43 AM

Just realised ETH has 3500BTC volume on polo. Haha no wonder there is no excitement anywhere else. Shitty gains for that kind of vol too.
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 06:04:04 AM

Just realised ETH has 3500BTC volume on polo. Haha no wonder there is no excitement anywhere else. Shitty gains for that kind of vol too.
Everyone has been waiting for the moment, so they now all have the plans, there is no panic buying, the wave will end soon.

CryptoClub
Legendary

Activity: 1470

cryptocollectorsclub.com

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 06:28:01 AM

This does not make any sense. After talking to John "Who says I am anonymous" Conner, I have sold. I went to trouble to get someone to code review, and there is fake code? It was embarrassing, and I don't even grasp why anyone would do that. This might be the most amazing coin ever, but with him being anon and not wanting anyone else on the team, and being manic depressive, or autistic, or something, it will make things very difficult. Maybe he is a true genius, but these are very bad decisions and they cast too much reasonable doubt about the project. Why would he get more attention after he wasted people's time? That isn't how the world works.

flipboxx

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 06:39:00 AM

Cause you're just a forum poster who never worked on a project for months to see it attacked by people....like yourself.

Grow up...

This Altcoin world is beyond insane. He didn't expose anyone. It just showed how childish he is. It's not cool, doesn't make sense and has absolutely no benefit for the project.

In the real world nobody would trust this "just a fake, I have the real code" bullshit. Even less if he does it to somehow making fun of other devs on a very strange way (and tbh, the claims of Viz for example were absolutely right. How should he now that John is doing childish shit?).

So, you should grow up. If you want cryptos to play with the big boys, this is not the way how to do business. Might be in your strange developer world, but not in the real world. If your project gets criticized after months of work, improve it. May be hard, but it is the only way.
heartastack

Activity: 714

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:00:35 AM

This is getting good now. Will vnl survive.

Also the FUD is getting more intense meanwhile the fattest wallets are still swelling up.
MemoryShock

Activity: 728

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:04:40 AM

This does not make any sense. After talking to John "Who says I am anonymous" Conner, I have sold. I went to trouble to get someone to code review, and there is fake code? It was embarrassing, and I don't even grasp why anyone would do that. This might be the most amazing coin ever, but with him being anon and not wanting anyone else on the team, and being manic depressive, or autistic, or something, it will make things very difficult. Maybe he is a true genius, but these are very bad decisions and they cast too much reasonable doubt about the project. Why would he get more attention after he wasted people's time? That isn't how the world works.

Did you really just diagnose the dev as autistic because you took the initiative to show your friend (Nick Cote?) the code a few months ago and are feeling embarrassed because things didn't pan out the way you wanted it to?

Your projections are your embarrassment.  FPGA mine that...

Edit to add - Regardless of your feelings on how things have occurred, calling out mental illness on someone you know not at all and who is capable of doing something that you aren't is bullshit.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
  I/O DIGITAL
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
iodigital.io & iocoin.io

█████████████████
███████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████
█████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
doremi

Activity: 654

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:08:15 AM

This Altcoin world is beyond insane. He didn't expose anyone. It just showed how childish he is. It's not cool, doesn't make sense and has absolutely no benefit for the project.

In the real world nobody would trust this "just a fake, I have the real code" bullshit. Even less if he does it to somehow making fun of other devs on a very strange way (and tbh, the claims of Viz for example were absolutely right. How should he now that John is doing childish shit?).

So, you should grow up. If you want cryptos to play with the big boys, this is not the way how to do business. Might be in your strange developer world, but not in the real world. If your project gets criticized after months of work, improve it. May be hard, but it is the only way.

during the world war2,Russian spy try to steal atomic bomb tech from USA,they did it but it's fake...so they thought USA didn`t actually having the tech of atomic bomb....until they dropped 2 atomic bombs on Japan.....

this is all about strategy.
pallas
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:13:59 AM

Do not claim that vanilla is the only coin that can be compiled on other devices like phones.
I myself have compiled more than one coin to my nas and android phone.
Of course it was a headless client but it could share the wallet.dat with my desktop and do everything it's supposed to, including PoS.

doremi

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:39:32 AM

Do not claim that vanilla is the only coin that can be compiled on other devices like phones.
Of course it was a headless client but it could share the wallet.dat with my desktop and do everything it's supposed to, including PoS.

well..do you have any POS coin that could do staking on cell/mobile phones?
pallas
Legendary

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:47:36 AM

an android phone is just a linux computer.
you can compile any coin that you can compile on, for example, an ubuntu pc and have all the features.
provided you have enough storage space for the blockchain, that is.

doremi

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:14:34 AM

you can compile any coin that you can compile on, for example, an ubuntu pc and have all the features.

i don`t think you had answered my question about staking/minting
pallas
Legendary

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:18:29 AM

i don`t think you had answered my question about staking

isn't "and have all the features" enough? :-)

doremi

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:27:49 AM

i know you can compile any coin that you can compile..my question is: can you compile a POS coin which can staking/minting on cell/mobile phones?if you already do that,please tell me what coin is it,thanks.
dygus
Legendary

Activity: 1193

Peaky Blinder

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:42:31 AM

i know you can compile any coin that you can compile..my question is: can you compile a POS coin which can staking/minting on cell/mobile phones?if you already do that,please tell me what coin is it,thanks.

librex

CHANGE FINANCE First Decentralised Global Crypto Bank
[color=#15B5E2 ]LINK TO ICO | LINK TO DISCUSSION
pallas
Legendary

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:48:47 AM

I did it with diamond, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work on any linux compilable coin (which are most of them, at least in headless form).

dygus
Legendary

Activity: 1193

Peaky Blinder

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 09:06:21 AM

Price is falling. 25k next stop

CHANGE FINANCE First Decentralised Global Crypto Bank
[color=#15B5E2 ]LINK TO ICO | LINK TO DISCUSSION
Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 282 »
  Print  

Jump to: