Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:58:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 ... 282 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [UNOFFICIAL] [VNL] Vanillacoin 0.4.1 | Instant ▱ Incentivized ▱ Innovative  (Read 433436 times)
pseudonymdude
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:34:43 PM

https://twitter.com/vanillanewsbits/status/612402595714498561

Wondering about this.

What makes this coin more amenable to being compiled on various platforms compared to other coins?

Is there a compiler for iOS already?

Should the graphic instead say "compiled to run on any platform"?

No other coin can be compiled on Android or iOS.  

What does this mean for you?  It means you can take the wallet off your iOS device or Android wallet and use it on your desktop wallet.

The iOS wallet is used by a number of people and it's on Apple TestFlight.

If you want to use the iOS wallet, just hop on IRC and ask xcore or tom_ewok for an invitation.

I'm not really sure what you mean sorry.  Perhaps you mean that the wallet.dat is portable between desktop and mobile OSs?

When I use Apple TestFlight, am I actually compiling code?  I just looked up Apple TestFlight and I don't see any mention that it lets you compile code.

Yes, you can put your wallet.dat on your desktop and use it with your desktop client.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.  Apple TestFlight is like Apple's Appstore for beta programs.

Did you get an invite to use the wallet from IRC?

I didn't get any invites.

It's good that the wallet.dat is portable :-)

I'm asking about the specific claims made in the graphic that the vanillanewsbits Twitter account has posted: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CH-w6jtUcAASWcS.png:large

If you're not a developer, you will not be compiling it at any time.  It's listed because it is something that is unique to this coin's code.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brownmon

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:42:23 PM

If you're not a developer, you will not be compiling it at any time.  It's listed because it is something that is unique to this coin's code.

I am a developer, though not really a crypto developer.

I would be interesting in hearing about what properties of this code make it compilable on platforms that other cryptocurrency wallets are not compilable on.

I understand that VNL is apparently more energy-efficient in some way?  One wouldn't expect that to affect compilation though!
pseudonymdude
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:46:57 PM

If you're not a developer, you will not be compiling it at any time.  It's listed because it is something that is unique to this coin's code.

I would be interesting in hearing about what properties of this code make it compilable on platforms that other cryptocurrency wallets are not compilable on.

I understand that VNL is apparently more energy-efficient in some way?  One wouldn't expect that to affect compilation though!

The code is a complete rewrite of bitcoin and peercoin.  It is not a clone like the VAST majority of cryptocurrencies.

Hop on IRC if you want to try to get more in depth.

brownmon

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:51:59 PM

The code is a complete rewrite of bitcoin and peercoin.  It is not a clone like the VAST majority of cryptocurrencies.

Sorry, I don't want to expose my IP by going on IRC.

I think it's most likely that these particular claims of vanillanewsbits are mistaken.  It should be clarified whether or not this is an official VanillaCoin account (i.e. whether it is supported by the dev or not) and corrections made if so.

To clarify, I'm taking about this part:

Can be compiled on any platform, including Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android, iOS, game consoles, etc.  No other cryptocurrency can do this.
Jookly
Legendary

Activity: 1131
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:08:44 PM

I think it's most likely that these particular claims of vanillanewsbits are mistaken.  It should be clarified whether or not this is an official VanillaCoin account (i.e. whether it is supported by the dev or not) and corrections made if so.

Can be compiled on any platform, including Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android, iOS, game consoles, etc.  No other cryptocurrency can do this.

No that is not the official twitter. 

The truth is that it can be compiled for any of those platforms but I really doubt anyone is too worried about compiling the code on their xbox. 

brownmon

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:45:50 PM

The truth is that it can be compiled for any of those platforms but I really doubt anyone is too worried about compiling the code on their xbox. 

A shame -- It would have been great if wallet code could finally practically be compiled on and for these platforms.  Then we wouldn't have the problem where iOS users don't know what code they're running.

Anyway, I hope it gets corrected soon then  Cheesy
TruthSeeker101

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:45:59 PM

There are also some false claims such as their staking being more energy efficient, when it is an exact line for line clone of Peercoin, just rewritten in C++ 11.

"The code is a complete rewrite of bitcoin and peercoin" so it is complete rewrite or just copy and paste in C++??   Huh Huh
pseudonymdude
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 10:25:06 PM

The code is a complete rewrite of bitcoin and peercoin.  It is not a clone like the VAST majority of cryptocurrencies.

I think it's most likely that these particular claims of vanillanewsbits are mistaken.  It should be clarified whether or not this is an official VanillaCoin account (i.e. whether it is supported by the dev or not) and corrections made if so.

Can be compiled on any platform, including Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android, iOS, game consoles, etc.  No other cryptocurrency can do this.

There are also some false claims such as their staking being more energy efficient, when it is an exact line for line clone of Peercoin, just rewritten in C++ 11.

"The code is a complete rewrite of bitcoin and peercoin" so it is complete rewrite or just copy and paste in C++??   Huh Huh

I don't think Videlicet is even claiming what you think he is.

Either way, Poloniex did a code review of Vanillacoin and decided lowering the required confirmations to 1 was secure as it says in my signature.  Poloniex requires 6 confirmations for Peercoin to confirm.  The only other coin Poloniex confirms in 1 confirmation is Bitcoin.

You can test this by sending PPC and VNL to Poloniex or by looking at their API here: https://poloniex.com/public?command=returnCurrencies

You'll see "minConf":6, for PPC and "minConf":1, for VNL.

For the very technical, everything is open source:

https://github.com/john-connor/vanillacoin

https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin

heartastack

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:01:09 AM

Clearly the success of altcoins no longer indicates elegance of coding or functionality. Just a select few chosen by crypto gangsters to have a high marketcap.
MemoryShock

Activity: 728

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:56:54 AM

Clearly the success of altcoins no longer indicates elegance of coding or functionality. Just a select few chosen by crypto gangsters to have a high marketcap.

It took the internet fifty years from invention to economic/social integration (and it changed the landscape considerably).

In crypto terms, we still have a few weeks...Wink

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
  I/O DIGITAL
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
iodigital.io & iocoin.io

█████████████████
███████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████
█████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
brownmon

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:58:09 AM

Videlicet was referring at that time to the code that John Connor had uploaded to github.  John later revealed that it was 'fake' code designed to throw off haters or whatever.

So, videlicet was correct about the code that he saw.  But it turned out that it wasn't the actual code of the coin.  Just a trick to throw off haters/catch people out/waste the time of code reviewers.
heartastack

Activity: 714

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:59:00 AM

It took the internet fifty years from invention to economic/social integration (and it changed the landscape considerably).

In crypto terms, we still have a few weeks...Wink

But there weren't 500 competing internets! I do get your point though. I have faith.
pseudonymdude
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 01:43:40 AM

Videlicet was referring at that time to the code that John Connor had uploaded to github.  John later revealed that it was 'fake' code designed to throw off haters or whatever.

So, videlicet was correct about the code that he saw.  But it turned out that it wasn't the actual code of the coin.  Just a trick to throw off haters/catch people out/waste the time of code reviewers.

No, john was referring to the zerotime test code and fake whitepaper for zerotime, not the committed code that has been open sourced and able to be compiled for some time.

bangomatic
Legendary

Activity: 1246

ARK Team likes to ban and delete posts in reddit.

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:03:58 AM

No, john was referring to the zerotime test code and fake whitepaper for zerotime, not the committed code that has been open sourced and able to be compiled for some time.

why would a dev post a fake whitepaper / code? fudding his own project? its been bothering me since i read that.
pseudonymdude
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:41:33 AM

why would a dev post a fake whitepaper / code? fudding his own project? its been bothering me since i read that.

If he's just one person, with the speed he pumps out lines of code, he's truly a genius in my opinion; but sometimes he does things I don't understand, like that.

I believe his reasoning was that he would get a lot of devs to attack him because of obvious flaws and then when the real paper and code were released, they'd have to really look into it.

shapetwist

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:45:32 AM

If he's just one person, with the speed he pumps out lines of code, he's truly a genius in my opinion; but sometimes he does things I don't understand, like that.

I believe his reasoning was that he would get a lot of devs to attack him because of obvious flaws and then when the real paper and code were released, they'd have to really look into it.

I agree it's pretty impressive.
But in my opinion he shouldn't be trying to put out fire with fire. He's clearly better at coding than dealing with the community.

$APX - AstroPepeX - 1st AI developed ETH token
bangomatic
Legendary

Activity: 1246

ARK Team likes to ban and delete posts in reddit.

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:51:30 AM

hmmmm. well its his call, he is the dev, but seems foolish to post fake code, because then you have a 100% chance of bringing FUD to your doorstep.  
bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:20:08 AM

It all sounds fishy to me...  if and when the true code gets revealed, I think I'll jump in on this project, until then I will just sit on the sidelines and be skeptical.

If your not actively using the technology behind your crypto investment,

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
MemoryShock

Activity: 728

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:37:11 AM

I think there is a reason but it involves some empathy in order to logically understand.

We know he has been working on it for a long time, a year prior to launch.  Personally, I think he would have waited even longer if there wasn't a modicum of excitement and/or a need to start testing his code with an operating blockchain in real time.  Keep in mind, a ton of basic work went into his project before he even revealed that ZT was a thing...months.

Further, considering the more or less common knowledge that he is a 20 year vet within the P2P field, the decision to embark on this project as a full time job probably was made with much consideration.  Involved in that consideration was a knowledge of what the altcoin community is like.  Think about it for a second.  This is a terrible community.  Scams are everywhere, collaboration is close to 'not so much', scam devs are copying code and releasing new coins with promises in order to get the first 'spike pump' and then leave, and most of the threads in the altcoin community are peppered with inane BS that no sane person would tolerate in a normal social forum.

Chances are, he is very well aware of how toxic some aspects of the altcoin community are and has every intention of releasing material...but if it isn't ready then it isn't ready.  Further, providing misinformation, or mystery, is potentially a valid way to gain information on the community that he is working in tandem with.  I use the phrase 'in tandem' very loosely because the interaction is necessary but there is no real collaboration between devs and speculators.  It is an important distinction to make...

Jump into IRC and communicate with him - he talks every day.

If he says the white paper is coming with actual math (he posted a paragraph a few days ago) then it is coming.  He started this project wanting no hype and went months without it.  Very productive months.

It sounds fishy because you are used to a crypto alt scene that is fishy - I'm sure he thinks the same thing.  The thing is, he has delivered everything he has promised and then some.  Some of you seem to forget that he just released the bitstream for FPGA...do you have any idea what that means and how many other devs have done that (None)?

Be patient and see what happens...

Edit to add - I like the VNL community and aspects of other communities...but to be honest, there is no stopping people from muscling their internet posts.  Tis the reason why I referred to it as terrible.  Valid disclaimer and one that should be met with reflection rather than indignation...

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
  I/O DIGITAL
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
iodigital.io & iocoin.io

█████████████████
███████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████
█████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:38:59 AM

hmmmm. well its his call, he is the dev, but seems foolish to post fake code, because then you have a 100% chance of bringing FUD to your doorstep.  

But he showed a lot of so called experts were in fact scammy FUDers....you should be calling out them not a John Connor for exposing them....Personally I thought it was a great move. I would do something similar in his position if I had thought of it.
Pages: « 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 ... 282 »
  Print  

Jump to: