Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:48:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916367 times)
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 05:33:30 PM

Guys, you miss the point I raised, the problem is that, in my view, the control (at least at potential level - still, this wont change the fact) over network crunched after 4 years in hands of one entity, instead of keep dispersing among the many..

The linear evolution you envision will never happen in practice. We will go through phases like this over and over again. However, I think Bitcoin is more resilient than you think. There is enough incentive and opportunity to keep the network decentralized and healthy.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ewibit
Legendary

Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 07:46:02 PM

Will there be a website so we can see, in real time, our hash rate and how many BTC ASICMINER has mined....
this would be very nice  Smiley
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 07:58:08 PM

Guys, you miss the point I raised, the problem is that, in my view, the control (at least at potential level - still, this wont change the fact) over network crunched after 4 years in hands of one entity, instead of keep dispersing among the many..

I am honestly trying to understand your point of view. Do you really want Bitcoin to be a success? ASICs will render botnets of CPU and GPU obsolete. They will make the network more secure. IMO Bitcoin will NEVER be a success without ASIC. (for the long run)

What about the very early adopters? what about the first people to mine with GPUs?.

And why are you so sure that if they worked on it, the developers can magically create a cryptocurrency that is ASIC resilient? What they do is not witchcraft nor Bitcoin is plain magic. Can you please shed some light on the advanced knowledge you have that will make sure 100% that it is even possible to create an ASIC resilient fork?

Please don't write about Litecoins..... I think the argument that nobody cared of developing ASIC for it in first place was well made by many.

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
bitboyben

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 08:45:41 PM

I you guy could let us know a couple days in advance of turning on your ASICs that would be helpful. I'd like to sell all my BTC before they become worthless.

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
DutchBrat

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 08:50:49 PM

I you guy could let us know a couple days in advance of turning on your ASICs that would be helpful. I'd like to sell all my BTC before they become worthless.

Lol, ok I will bite: Why will BTC become worthless???
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 08:52:19 PM

Why do you think bitcoins will become worthless then? Its not that the asics will create 1000% more bitcoins each day. The mined bitcoins will remain nearly the same daily. The difference is only that more of them go into one pocket... Smiley The bitcoinprice wont change because of that i believe.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
novusordo

Activity: 800

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 01:10:35 AM

I'll buy those worthless BTC off you.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 01:20:21 AM

Lol, ok I will bite: Why will BTC become worthless???
I wish I has records of since when and why people are on my ignore list.
... He was already on my ignore,

novusordo

Activity: 800

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 03:35:33 AM

In regards to the concerns over abuse of the massive hashing power ASICMINER is about to have:

This is essentially the best possible outcome for the ASIC race. Somebody has to be the first one to market with ASICs, and it's fantastic that it will probably be ASICMINER. Why? It's the only manufacturer of ASIC mining hardware that took investments from the average bitcoiner, making it easy for anybody to benefit from this technology leap we're about to take.

If a private company was the first to get ASICs out, and it mined for itself, there would be (a small amount of) justified concern. Even then, it's more profitable to contribute to the network than to attack it.

ASICs are the last big jump Bitcoin is going to take with mining. After the first ASICs are out, the only improvements that can be made are those of die size, and the actual design of the chips and other hardware.

(I realize that some sort of technological advancement such as quantum computing could prove this wrong, but Bitcoin as a whole is probably fucked at that point.)

[CPU -> GPU -> FPGA -> ASIC -> Better ASICs -> Better ASICs -> Better ASICs]

This race to be the first to market is the most important race for mining hardware that Bitcoin will ever see. As long as friedcat keeps his word, we're very well off. The only reason he would have to not keep his word is if he wanted to destroy Bitcoin, and didn't care about making money.

Buckle up, because we will soon be witnessing the greatest jump in hashrate (percentage-wise) that the Bitcoin network will ever see. Luckily for Bitcoin, this is a good way to make that jump.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 03:51:32 AM

Kudos to friedcat if he gets these things running before avalon or bfl....  nicely done sir!

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 05:28:49 AM

In regards to the concerns over abuse of the massive hashing power ASICMINER is about to have:

This is essentially the best possible outcome for the ASIC race. Somebody has to be the first one to market with ASICs, and it's fantastic that it will probably be ASICMINER. Why? It's the only manufacturer of ASIC mining hardware that took investments from the average bitcoiner, making it easy for anybody to benefit from this technology leap we're about to take.

If a private company was the first to get ASICs out, and it mined for itself, there would be (a small amount of) justified concern. Even then, it's more profitable to contribute to the network than to attack it.

ASICs are the last big jump Bitcoin is going to take with mining. After the first ASICs are out, the only improvements that can be made are those of die size, and the actual design of the chips and other hardware.

(I realize that some sort of technological advancement such as quantum computing could prove this wrong, but Bitcoin as a whole is probably fucked at that point.)

This race to be the first to market is the most important race for mining hardware that Bitcoin will ever see. As long as friedcat keeps his word, we're very well off. The only reason he would have to not keep his word is if he wanted to destroy Bitcoin, and didn't care about making money.

Buckle up, because we will soon be witnessing the greatest jump in hashrate (percentage-wise) that the Bitcoin network will ever see. Luckily for Bitcoin, this is a good way to make that jump.

+1

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 10:07:45 AM

If you don't find out before they switch them on - I offer you 10% of the BTC value the day before they switched them on
10% is way higher than worthless Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 04:48:29 PM

Wait, so you're saying that a single entity controlling a large amount of hashrate is better for Bitcoin than many individuals receiving units and having that large amount of ASIC hashpower distributed across many people?

Huh?
DutchBrat

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 05:29:09 PM

Wait, so you're saying that a single entity controlling a large amount of hashrate is better for Bitcoin than many individuals receiving units and having that large amount of ASIC hashpower distributed across many people?

Huh?

It is for ASICMINER shareholders  Wink
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 05:38:13 PM

Haven't been paying attention much over the holidays, but have all shareholders been confirmed? I still have not received any emails.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
LazyOtto

Activity: 476

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 05:43:33 PM

have all shareholders been confirmed?
Such a statement has not been made.

At least a couple of people have announced receiving such an email.

Like you, I have yet to receive a confirmation email.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 05:47:01 PM

Huh?

It is for ASICMINER shareholders  Wink
Not if it brings the value of Bitcoin down so our dividends are worthless...

I, too, have not received an email regarding my shares of ASICMINER.

meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 05:53:14 PM

Huh?

It is for ASICMINER shareholders  Wink

*If* taking an ideological position a position that appreciates the intended design outcomes of bitcoin neither mining corporations or corporations that sell *overpriced* mining gear are good for bitcoin.  For varying reasons.

Being able to invest or hold equity (which ASICMiner really isn't a true equity stake) in a mining corporation is 'a good thing' only in so far as the individual being able to capitalize on a phenomena that degrades the anti-trust model that proof of work supports.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 07:10:17 PM

Also not received an email confirming my shares  - but not worried as friedcat did say he'd not finished them due to the hardware arriving.

Will be interesting to see how many BFL pre-orders get cancelled soon as ASICMINER starts mining - as when the chance to be first mining vanishes there's no real reason to pay the heavily inflated prices first batches of ASICs are being sold for (to cover development costs).  Am hoping friedcat announces target price-points before long - so as to try to grab some of the orders currently sitting with BFL etc.  As the mining should get back development costs, BitFountain should be able to come in at prices around 1/3 the GH/s per $ cost BFL are trying to charge and still make a nice profit if my rough calculations are right.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 11:58:28 PM

Any estimate for the shares price once the mining starts?
Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: