Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:19:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 [778] 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Flat Earth  (Read 1095075 times)
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
December 07, 2019, 11:45:57 PM

@Paashaas that Antarctic cruse story is literal fake news.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4461

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 12:09:15 AM

get on a plan and keep travelling in the same direction. you eventually loop around and come back to the point you started at without falling off an edge and without going into the infinite void of space

im starting to think flat earthers have never got out of their basement to even experience the real world and definetly not a plane ride

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 12:40:52 AM
Last edit: December 08, 2019, 10:35:10 PM by notbatman

@odolvlobo,

"...looming is taken into account with the setting sun. It is what causes the sun to appear to flatten out as it sets..."
  The flattening effect with the setting sun is caused by perspective, foreshortening occurs as the sun approaches the angular resolution limit of the observer. This is not a refractive effect.

"...you are using looming/refraction here to explain why the sun does not shrink as it gets farther away, but I think that your explanation raises more questions than it answers.

Can the effect be enough to account for the 3x magnification that would be necessary for the sun to be the same size when it is overhead and at dawn and dusk at the equator, and the 6x magnification necessary at the southern edge?

Why aren't other objects magnified like this? As other objects get farther away, their sizes should also be magnified in the same way..."

Other objects are magnified via looming i.e. any object in the distance that is loomed... eh?

The atmosphere is a plane thus the looming effect is linear in nature and a function of distance from the observer, it accounts for what is observed perfectly.

"...The looming effect raises the apparent elevation of an object, and globe believers use this to explain how we can see the tops of objects that should be below the horizon. How can the flat earth model reject looming in this case but accept it as the reason that the size of the sun doesn't change? Actually, I don't understand how looming is associated with magnification in the first place..."
  Looming raises the apparent elevation of an object because the object is enlarged, clearly I'm not rejecting the effect.

"...How does the flat earth model explain the setting sun? It can't be looming or even refraction in general because those have the opposite effect..."
  Your understanding of refractive looming is incorrect, it causes magnification not just an apparent elevation rise. That combined with perspective foreshortening accounts for what is observed at sunset.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 01:48:33 AM

One of the most important understandings about FE science is the fact that it is layman oriented.

A formal, educated scientist knows how to show the fallacies of FE science easily. The layman knows some science, but has to think his way through what the FE people are saying, because he doesn't do this science thing everyday. By the time he has figured the thing out, he has started to fall for the lure of FE non-science. It's an easy step to go the rest of the way and say, "Wow. Maybe FE people are right."

One of the easiest ways a layman can protect himself from FE propaganda is, find some solid GE science, and then simply say, "I'm not a professional scientist. The professionals have seen through this FE garbage long ago." And then to go somewhere else for entertainment.

The point is, FE scientists are definitely professionals... at least some of them. But more than that, they are professional liars, and professional brainwashers.

How dare you talk about us poor little FE people like that? All we are trying to do is innocently show people how they have been lied to by mainstream science... blah, blah, blah.

They play on your emotions. They are professional salesmen playing a game with you. Consider notbatman, sitting back and chuckling to himself, "Four years and more than 800 pages. Who could have dreamed there are so many gullible people?"

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 02:05:07 AM

^

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 02:17:06 AM

^^^ See how notbatman advertises for cigarettes with outdated cigarette ads? Same kind of thing he is trying to do with the shape of the earth... FE = outdated data advertising.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 03:13:07 AM

^

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 07:37:11 AM

"...looming is taken into account with the setting sun. It is what causes the sun to appear to flatten out as it sets..."
  The flattening effect with the setting sun is cased by perspective, foreshortening occurs as the sun approaches the angular resolution limit of the observer. This is not a refractive effect.

There is no reason why perspective should affect the vertical direction differently than the horizontal direction, so how can perspective cause flattening? Also, because the angular size of the sun is always 0.5 degrees, there is no way that it can approach the angular limit of the observer. Either way it still doesn't explain why the sun appears compressed in one direction as it sets.

"...The looming effect raises the apparent elevation of an object, and globe believers use this to explain how we can see the tops of objects that should be below the horizon. How can the flat earth model reject looming in this case but accept it as the reason that the size of the sun doesn't change? Actually, I don't understand how looming is associated with magnification in the first place..."
  Looming raises the apparent elevation of an object because the object is enlarged, clearly I'm not rejecting the effect.

I meant that flat earth rejects the claim that looming is what allows objects that are behind the earth's curvature be seen even though it "raises the apparent elevation of an object because the object is enlarged."

"...How does the flat earth model explain the setting sun? It can't be looming or even refraction in general because those have the opposite effect..."
  Your understanding of refractive looming is incorrect, it causes magnification not just an apparent elevation rise. That combined with perspective foreshortening accounts for what is observed at sunset.

My understanding of refraction and looming is good. Atmospheric refraction is caused by the differences in the density of the air at different elevations. Generally, the air at lower elevations is denser and this causes the effect of looming, making distance objects appear higher than they actually are. However, local conditions can also cause other refractive effects.

Anyway, I don't understand how the combination of magnification and foreshortening can cause the sun to appear to go below the plane. Are you saying that it actually doesn't, and instead it is compressed so much vertically that it can no longer be seen?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 08:17:33 AM

^^^ There are different kinds of refractive effects, you're confusing those caused by differences in air density with one that's caused by suspended water droplets. Looming is the magnification of an object from a composite lens of suspended water droplets.

Differences in air density can cause the entire filed of view to rise up and become distorted but that's a separate effect more closely related to superior mirages.

Anyway, I don't understand how the combination of magnification and foreshortening can cause the sun to appear to go below the plane. Are you saying that it actually doesn't, and instead it is compressed so much vertically that it can no longer be seen?

Yes the foreshortening is a bottom up vertical compression, looming then magnifies the compressed image. A narrow band superior mirage is often also present and mirrors the bottom half.
Paulinerims

Activity: 193
Merit: 7

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 02:30:53 PM

So wouldn't it be more beneficial that the plane just took off, hover on the same point and wait for the earth to turn around? If it's flat it has to fly so yea there is the answer.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 07:07:21 PM

Yes the foreshortening is a bottom up vertical compression, looming then magnifies the compressed image. A narrow band superior mirage is often also present and mirrors the bottom half.

Foreshortening is not a "bottom up vertical compression". Foreshortening is the same in all orientations and directions. Look up at tall buildings. Look down a deep hole. Even your own diagrams show horizontal foreshortening.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 08:27:21 PM

Foreshortening is not a "bottom up vertical compression". Foreshortening is the same in all orientations and directions. Look up at tall buildings. Look down a deep hole. Even your own diagrams show horizontal foreshortening.

Yabut, if those buildings weren't there, and there was a deep valley there instead, and a mountain at the right of the telephone poles, what would the vanishing points on the mountain top and at the valley bottom look like?... assuming you could see a vanished point.

Grin

HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 10:38:14 PM

^ The globe fails a distance to the horizon test with a wide margin of error using a super-zoom camera. The surface of the earth doesn't curve at any distance!

Not only is the earth flat for as far as the eye can see, the earth is flat for as far as the Nikon P1000 can see.

This review says your Nikon P1000 super-zoom camera is shit, so it can't prove the Earth is flat.

https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Blog/The-Nikon-P1000-is-the-Best-Bridge-Camera-of-2018---But-its-Not-for-Me

I have a hard time imagining exactly who the P1000 appeals to. It's too big to be a travel camera and lacks the requisite discretion for street photography. It has little professional application, besides documentation, and it feels too bulky for family holidays. That sort of leaves us with the birders and the weirdos...

Which one are you, a birder or a weirdo?
HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 10:56:22 PM

^

^

Fake advertising. Physicians recommend lucky strikes.

notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 11:24:44 PM

@odolvlobo,

That diagram depicts convergence to a point. That point is called the vanishing point and it's the limit of the observers vision, the Angular Resolution Limit. What that diagram doesn't depict is what's going on at the vanishing point, we'd need a zoomed in view to see how the objects are vanishing:

If the observers eye level was zero i.e. their ear touching the ground, objects would be uniformly compressed as they approach the ARL until they vanish (narrow band superior mirages not withstanding). However if the observers eye level is elevated, it increases their angle of attack and objects are no longer uniformly compressed as they vanish, the elevated perspective causes objects to be compressed bottom up.

It should be noted that as the observers angle of attack (eye elevation) increases, the topmost part of objects that have been compressed beyond the ARL become expanded, thus bringing them back into view and increasing the distance to the vanishing point.

This optical compression effect known as foreshortening can be easily demonstrated by checking a pool cue for deformations.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2019, 11:13:42 AM

If the observers eye level was zero i.e. their ear touching the ground, objects would be uniformly compressed as they approach the ARL until they vanish (narrow band superior mirages not withstanding). ...

So, if I put my eye at ground level the sun doesn't appear to set?

... However if the observers eye level is elevated, it increases their angle of attack and objects are no longer uniformly compressed as they vanish, the elevated perspective causes objects to be compressed bottom up.
It should be noted that as the observers angle of attack (eye elevation) increases, the topmost part of objects that have been compressed beyond the ARL become expanded, thus bringing them back into view and increasing the distance to the vanishing point.
This optical compression effect known as foreshortening can be easily demonstrated by checking a pool cue for deformations.

None of that makes sense. You are saying that refraction magnifies the sun so that its size remains constant until it gets a certain distance away, and then suddenly it stops magnifying it vertically (or perhaps the perspective effect suddenly begins to overpower the magnification in the vertical direction).

Cryptotourist

Activity: 1190
Merit: 755

Homo Sapiens Bitcoinerthalensis

View Profile
December 09, 2019, 11:38:32 AM

I'm trying to keep myself at bay here, but I'm finding it very difficult indeed.

Of course trying to rationalize with Batty - is a noble cause - but it leads nowhere.
His mind is made up already & so is his agenda.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2019, 01:13:56 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2019, 01:59:38 PM by notbatman

@odolvlobo,

"...So, if I put my eye at ground level the sun doesn't appear to set?..."

How do you come to such an irrational conclusion?

Lowering your perspective will cause a uniform compression of the sun as it sets, it will vanish sooner because of more complete compression. The vanishing point and thus the horizon has a reduced distance with your ear to the ground.

If you stand up the sun will reappear as the topmost part of the sun is expanded. It returns so it's within the confines of the observers angular resolution limit due, to an increased angle of attack.

While the sun is being compressed and passing the vanishing point at the horizon, looming magnifies its size. Looming as I stated before is caused by suspended water droplets in the atmosphere that create a composite lens.

edit:

Here's some P1000 footage with filmed with a solar filter:
   Mission Bay Sunset: Atmosplanic Compression -- https://youtu.be/JJqNe10tG7I
HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2019, 06:50:42 PM

edit:

Here's some P1000 footage with filmed with a solar filter:
   Mission Bay Sunset: Atmosplanic Compression -- https://youtu.be/JJqNe10tG7I

This youtube review says the P1000 is shit, so it's pointless trying to prove the Earth is flat with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHiYizz7Acs

Your camera is shit.
guigui371
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1693

C.D.P.E.M

View Profile
December 09, 2019, 07:17:46 PM

Hey Nobatman,
I am curious to know where does the sun go when it is night time? 

Do they just turn if off on the ceiling (of the dome) ?
This is an actual legit question.

On globe earth it is easy to understand, the sun is on the other side of the earth (or the globe earth rotated and another part of it is in direct sight of the sun).

How does it work with a flat-disc earth ?

How do you explain, that some people on earth still have day light when some don't.
If the earth is flat, and the sun an object on the dome, then everybody should see it at the same time.

I obviously don't believe in FE, but I am curious to know how you explain the day/night cycle and the fact that not everybody has the same light pattern.

Cheers

it ain't much but it's honest work
Pages: « 1 ... 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 [778] 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 »
  Print  

Jump to: