Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:24:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382129 times)
grandpa_seth

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

Simcoin Puny Humans Communicator

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 02:46:17 AM

So, I recently talked to Shawn (the Storj founder) and from what I understand, we are a lot farther along in the development process than they are. We use a proof-of-work blockchain to enforce all of our contracts, they don't - they only use the blockchain when it is necessary. We have our completely separate blockchain, where they are using counterparty on Bitcoin. One of the biggest elements is scaling. The amount that we can scale is limited by the amount of data we can put on the blockchain. Using a lot of payment-channel style optimizations, we can get somewhere between 20k and 1 million users to fit on Sia given the current technology stack. Once we're over 1 million users, we'll have to find something else.

I'm not sure how well Storj will scale, but their test group A showed that they needed to improve a lot of things. They believe that test group B is still a few months away. We are launching on June 7th.

One of the biggest differences between Sia and Storj is that Sia intentionally stayed off the radar (we've actually been around longer than Storj - Sia was originally invented at Hack MIT in 2013) until we had something to show everybody. We surfaced briefly to do a crowd fund because we were broke. We're now ready to rock and roll, and we have a client that is functional. We also have a very clear roadmap for the next 3 months, and I believe we'll be a satisfactory replacement for Bittorrent by the end of the year. The current 500mb filesize limit should be raised to well over 1TB by August.

If you are curious, you should try out the beta and tell us what you think.

I'm not sure if Storj plans on having an API, but Sia has an API that other apps and decentralized apps can hook into for decentralized storage. Imagine if XBMC started streaming movies and music off of Sia. And imagine if Streamium used Sia to put streams in an archive. These are both things that are already possible using our API, so long as you keep files below 500mb. (and again, this limit is going to be lifted in the next few months).

I hope this helps. We think that there's a lot to love about Sia.

Learn something everyday. Cool answer, thanks.

Yea, you mentioned this before. By the time 1 million users come there will definitely be a solution. Thats not a worry imo. Hardest part is and always was

to get users and hosts. Crypto is still not a very popular complicated thing. But I think Sia has a better chance than most.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grandpa_seth

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 02:48:03 AM

The amount that we can scale is limited by the amount of data we can put on the blockchain. Using a lot of payment-channel style optimizations, we can get somewhere between 20k and 1 million users to fit on Sia given the current technology stack. Once we're over 1 million users, we'll have to find something else.

Can you elaborate on this?

I'm assuming its the data pruning problem bitcoin faces as well as all blockchain coins do.

But of course I would like some elaboration too if you could.
grandpa_seth

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 02:50:18 AM

I am unable to send Sianotes and message to redeem on NXT Wallet, get message "Feature not available" in NXT wallet, Windows 7, client 1.5.9, wallet 1.3 .

There's not much we can do about that, but maybe the nxt devs can help you?

Things seem to work fine for 1.4.18.

Tried using online wallets listed on nxt.org site - one requires registration, the other won't let me sign on with passphrase only, seems to want some other ID from wallet, the third link goes to a site which does not show a wallet anywhere.

Tried downgrading NXT client install from 1.5.9 to 1.4.18. Now the NSR server crashes when I try to launch wallet. I'll probably have to manually clear everything off the computer for NXT and do a clean install. I estimate I'm already 4 hours into trying to redeem these Sianotes overall, between reading on how to do it, downloading, installing, and creating the key, and trying to send the transaction to redeem the notes.

I do onsite computer service as my main business, and can say for a fact not one of my customers would be able to use this for any kind of business.

I believe the problem with 1.5.9 is you have to update to java 8. Get java 8 then "install" 1.5.9.
Taek (OP)

Activity: 543
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 06:11:54 AM

The amount that we can scale is limited by the amount of data we can put on the blockchain. Using a lot of payment-channel style optimizations, we can get somewhere between 20k and 1 million users to fit on Sia given the current technology stack. Once we're over 1 million users, we'll have to find something else.

Can you elaborate on this?

Scalability on blockchains is always a tricky issue. In our case, we're bottlenecked by storage proofs. A storage proof takes around 1kb. If we assume that 90% of Sia is going to be storage proofs, that's ~900 storage proofs per block. 1008 blocks in a week means ~900,000 storage proofs per week.

900,000 storage proofs per week does not sound like a lot, especially when files are being uploaded to 200 places at a time. If you assume each file lasts for 2 years though (100 weeks), we're all the way up to 450,000 files. The beta only puts files in 12 places, and they each last 1 week, so that's a total of 75,000 concurrent files for the beta.

We can improve on this number by using payment channels. Sia has support for payment channels through file contracts, which means you can store multiple files on the same file contract and you can keep adding files as you go. When you add files, you don't need to add transactions to the blockchain. When you first join the network, you'll have to make a bunch of setup transactions with hosts. Assuming each user wants to connect to 200 hosts, that's 200 contracts that will need to be made. We're also going to assume that the average host relationship lasts 6 months. (Instead of having them all expire at the same time though, we'll stagger it. So you'll renew contracts with 4 hosts per week). It comes down to 200 setup transactions, followed by 4 per week for the rest of the time you are using Sia. A setup transaction is really small, but closing the setup will result in a storage proof. Since you're storing multiple files, the storage proof is going to be bigger. We'll call this whole thing 1.5kb per host per renew, or about 6kb per week per user.

6kb per week per user, and ~900mb per week of available space on the blockchain. That comes to a total of 150,000 users, each triggering 4 storage proofs on the blockchain per week. Some users might want more storage proofs per week, some might be comfortable with less. Also, the % of storage proofs might be higher or lower than 90%. So we get a full range of 20,000 to 1,000,000 users on the blockchain. If we increase the block size to 20mb, and decrease the storage proof rate per user to 1 per month, we get all the way up to 80,000,000 users.

The security of this system depends on a few things. What percentage of hosts stay on the network for 6 months or longer? If it's a high percentage, than it's more secure to do it this way. If most hosts aren't on the network for at least 6 months, then you have either reduce the number of hosts you use (which reduces security), or you need more frequent storage proofs (which decreases the number of users that fit on the network). Hard drives typically last around 18 months though, so it seems reasonable to assume that most hosts will be interested in sticking around for at least 6 months. (Housing leases last 12 months, etc.).

Using 6 month long contracts means that the host is only checked on every 6 months. Hosts also don't get paid until the end of 6 months. But, the long term incentives remain the exact same as if the time period were shorter. A host who is not storing all of the data will have an amortized profit that is lower than if they were storing all of the data. (the penalty from getting caught * likelihood of getting caught > money saved on storage by cheating). From this perspective, things are fully secure.

Does that mean hosts have to wait 6 months before getting paid? It's a bit nicer than that. If people are only making 6 month contracts, then a host will have to wait 6 months before getting their first storage paycheck. Hosts however are going to have many clients, and these clients are going to have expirations that are spread out. Once a host is getting paid, they will be getting paid much more often than every 6 months. Additionally, downloads will cost siacoins. Even if the storage contract has not expired yet, the hosts will be making money by serving downloads. So again it does not seem to be a huge problem.

It's now important to mention that all of these numbers are chosen by the users and by the market. Users can choose, if they desire, to only make contracts with hosts that last 1 week. They will need to spend a lot more on transaction fees though, and this will get expensive once there are many users and the blockchain is always full. And if users feel comfortable only having 50 hosts, and having 2 year contracts with each host, then they will pay substantially less on transaction fees.

But I feel confident that 6 month contracts and 200 hosts is around the optimal number. It'll be easier to know once there are more people on the network. As always, we will start conservatively (when there are fewer users, using more storage proofs is okay because they will still be cheap), and we will switch to more aggressive numbers as it becomes clear that more aggressive numbers are also secure.

=====

To summarize, the way we're setting up the defaults means that the network will have room for around 150,000 users. The settings required to make this happen should be quite secure. By reducing the security settings (which may still be extremely secure), we can get up to around 1,000,000 users. By increasing the block size, we can increase the number of users. In the absolute worst case scenario, we should still be able to support 20,000 users under our current model.

There's another nice feature though. Each user can have up to unlimited data. You can fit an infinite amount of data under each contract, at the cost of 32 bytes of storage proof size every time you double the amount of data. Proofs for 1GB are 960 bytes. Proofs for 1TB are 1280 bytes. Proofs for 1EB are 1920 bytes.

If users are willing to share storage contracts, scaling increases substantially, because storage contracts can have infinite size. This is one way we might achieve scalability beyond our initial 150k users. Large users are almost exactly the same weight on the blockchain as small users.

We might also be able to do cryptographic layering. For example, Dropbox would only count at 1 user. All of Dropbox! There might be a way to create large auditable services that use the blockchain, and then thousands or millions of people can use these auditable services instead of using the blockchain correctly. We're not sure yet how the security would work here, but there's a good chance that this is an avenue for further scalability (If we can figure that out, scalability will go up to probably several hundred million users). Solutions such as sidechains, treechains, and other innovations in the space also provide options for scalability.

The scaling I'm telling you about today (150k-ish users) is only the scaling that we already know how to achieve. We are confident that we can use additional tools to push the boundaries even farther. One example is storage proof 'skipping'. When a file contract expires, a host can submit a storage proof that, instead of being a full storage proof, contains a signature from the user that says "I tested the host off of the blockchain, and the host passed the test.". This reduces the size of the storage proof from 1kb to about 50 bytes (but it does require the user to be online when the contract expires).

=====

Hopefully this explains where my size numbers come from. 20k - 1m users is the number I'm currently using, but by the time we get there, we should have more options for increasing the scalability of the blockchain.

I'm happy to answer any further questions.
grandpa_seth

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 11:45:13 AM

Fascinating system. Thank you for the details.

Additionally, downloads will cost siacoins. Even if the storage contract has not expired yet, the hosts will be making money by serving downloads.

What do you mean by downloads will cost siacoins.
Voidcrafter

Activity: 481

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 01:48:28 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2015, 03:09:54 PM by Voidcrafter

So I was planning to rent a couple of rigs for the launch however when looking for the algo that was going to be used I read this in the op "Sia's hashing algorithm is blake2b".
I have never mined another algo then scrypt and sha-256 and can not find any rigs for rent can someone point me somewhere where I could learn how to mine that algo so I can atleast mine some coins upon launch even if I will not be able to rent rigs?

Also : wil there be any way to buy sianotes after june 1 , I would love to just buy 2-3 of those instead of a bunch of coins and the huge inflation that comes with it but I just recently found out about sia and I will get my payment on june 1 which of course is after the deadline.

.Удиви мeня
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Бapaxoлкa CCCP - иcтopии и paccкaзы
 Coчи 360 - Иcтopии из жизни
 - Днeвник ГУФИкa иcтopии пpo coбaк
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Makezzila

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 01:49:16 PM

I think need add a cureit mining difficulty in wallet.
td services

Activity: 448

black swan hunter

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 03:04:15 PM

Guess you're not a regular Nxt user. Still it should be simple. Nxt does not need to be installed. Go to https://nxtforum.org/nrs-releases/
and choose 1.4.18. I have had problems with 1.5.9 as well. Verify the hash with something like onlinemd5.com and extract the folder to your
desktop. Double click run.bat and leave the command window open until blockchain is fully dled. Depending how fast your computer and
connection is it could take a couple hours to half a day. Open a browser and go to http://localhost:7876/. Type your passphrase and there
really should not be any single problem.

I believe the problem with 1.5.9 is you have to update to java 8. Get java 8 then "install" 1.5.9.

Thanks for the tips. Yes, found NXT wallet 2.2.0 installer, did a clean install back to NXT NRS version 1.4.8, waiting for the blockchain to download. Looking forward to Sia launch. I think it's a sleeper with a lot of potential as well.
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Thanks for the explanation.  One thing I'd like to know is how would I buy Sia coins after launch?  Will there be an official exchange?
Taek (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 06:07:05 PM

Additionally, downloads will cost siacoins. Even if the storage contract has not expired yet, the hosts will be making money by serving downloads.

What do you mean by downloads will cost siacoins.

Hosts will have the ability to set a price on downloads. Bandwidth tends to be more expensive than storage. On Amazon, downloading 1TB is the same price as storing it for 3 months. Hosts are free to set whatever cost for bandwidth they like, but setting a high price will cut into profits. Because you are storing on 200 hosts, and you only need to talk to some of them, you can prioritize the hosts that have lower bandwidth costs. Anybody will ransom-prices can be ignored. Holding data ransom is bad for profitability, because nobody will ever use you.

The higher your redundancy, the greater your ability/flexibility to prioritize hosts with fast, low cost downloads. Furthermore, when uploading in the first place you are able to choose a set of hosts that you are comfortable with and know generally have best prices. So out of the best hosts, you still only need a fraction to not try to extort you in order for extortion by the rest to be completely harmless.

This makes attempted extortion harmful to the extorter. If they have bandwidth that's not in use, instead of making a little bit of money from helping you with your download, they are making no money at all because you are using someone else instead.

Ultimately, I think bandwidth on Sia will be much cheaper than on any traditional service. There will be lots of ways to apply price pressure to hosts, compared to traditional services where there is a monopoly on your data and ransom-prices must be paid.

I think need add a cureit mining difficulty in wallet.

There's a block estimator, that's going to have to be good enough for the next few weeks. We're busy writing as many tests as possible before launch. Hopefully by July we can have a miner that's a lot nicer. (GPU miner should be ready by June 7th, but I'm not sure how nice it's going to be).

Thanks for the explanation.  One thing I'd like to know is how would I buy Sia coins after launch?  Will there be an official exchange?

For the first few weeks at least you'll have to do everything OTC. #siatalk on freenode is an appropriate place for this, we can also create a channel for it on the slack. Hopefully we can get on a traditional exchange (both siacoins and siafunds), and hopefully we can also set up trustless btc<->siacoin exchanges using hub+spoke micropayments (we'd run the first hub, but open source it so anyone could run a hub). The timeline for this is hopefully within 1-2 months of launch.
robinson5

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 07:13:30 PM

On siacoin.com it mentions a 3.9% fee, is that still in debate or are you definitely creating more sianotes and increasing it to 10%? Also, I noticed on the asset exchange that there is a buy order for 20 sianotes at 2,000NXT each by the asset issuer.  Is nebulous trying to buy back sianotes or is that just to set a price floor?

Also, I only really know how to mine scrypt or sha on a mac.  Could you point me to something I can download that would let me CPU or GPU mine sia on my mac?  Preferably with a GUI?
Tobo

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 08:57:17 PM

This project look promising. I've never seen a project like this... design is superior to Storj.
Adding to my list.
I am considering acquiring sianotes over on the NXT AE.  What is your projected average-case ROI for siafund investors?

The price is still cheap even though two Sianotes were sold at 18000 NXT/sianote today at the highest price ever. But even at the 18000 NXT price it is still a very low price comparing the other similar projects like Storj and maidsafe.

For instance, right now, the Storj's price is about $0.0188/coin and Storj has 500,000,000 coins in total supply, which will bring Storj's overall cap to about $9.4 millions. If you use the Sianote's highest price 18000 NXT (which is about $216) to calculate its cap, Sianote's cap will be $216x10000=$2.16 millions. It still much lower than Storj's overall cap.

Makezzila

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 09:34:40 PM

Hello Taek! I and my friend found interesting bug  Grin

I download wallet version 0.3.0 from internet and launch file  sia.exe without extract arhive.
After this procedure my friend send me 3000 sia coins and after network found new block, i can see this coin in my balans.
But i close program and launch sia.exe after 6 hours- i see that my coins we be lost. I think- process SIA.exe can*t write information about new adress in file wallet.dat, if I launch sia.exe from rar arhive.

Need blocked  opportunity to launch sia.exe without  extract rar arhive
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 03:07:10 AM

Hello Taek! I and my friend found interesting bug  Grin

I download wallet version 0.3.0 from internet and launch file  sia.exe without extract arhive.
After this procedure my friend send me 3000 sia coins and after network found new block, i can see this coin in my balans.
But i close program and launch sia.exe after 6 hours- i see that my coins we be lost. I think- process SIA.exe can*t write information about new adress in file wallet.dat, if I launch sia.exe from rar arhive.

so if i understood this correctly ... you executed the app FROM the archive itself? ...

if so - this will not run as it does in normal operation ... no package 'normally' runs through the archive itself unless designed to ...

it is needed that the archive is extracted to a directory - and run from the directory for any files to be updated - as most apps ( sia included ) will not recompress and rearchive the changed files to the .rar archive ...

if you the wallet.dat file that you used when transferring the other coins ( which will have all your original settings and address in it ) then you can get your coins back ...

at least thats the theory ... but it MUST be the original wallet.dat file that you used ( which 'should' still be in the roaming directory under windows ) ...

#crysx

bubbletea789

Activity: 173

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:11:33 AM

This project look promising. I've never seen a project like this... design is superior to Storj.
Adding to my list.
I am considering acquiring sianotes over on the NXT AE.  What is your projected average-case ROI for siafund investors?

The price is still cheap even though two Sianotes were sold at 18000 NXT/sianote today at the highest price ever. But even at the 18000 NXT price it is still a very low price comparing the other similar projects like Storj and maidsafe.

For instance, right now, the Storj's price is about $0.0188/coin and Storj has 500,000,000 coins in total supply, which will bring Storj's overall cap to about $9.4 millions. If you use the Sianote's highest price 18000 NXT (which is about $216) to calculate its cap, Sianote's cap will be $216x10000=$2.16 millions. It still much lower than Storj's overall cap.

In fact, Siafund is of different nature compared to storj coins. siacoin is the equivalent of storj coins. So even though your calculations are correct, the comparison is largely irrelevant. 10,000 siafunds are entitled to receive 3.9% of all host incomes.

However I want to point out that when Siafunds (formerly sianotes) were first offered, it was around 250usd each because Nxt price was much higher by that time. I found this in the Nxt forum https://nxtforum.org/alternate-cryptocurrencies/sia-official-nxt-thread/msg61639/#msg61639

Quote from Taek: (awhile ago when it was at $250 per siafund(sianote))
Currently Sianotes are being sold for ~$250 USD each. 1250 are then worth about $312,500, meaning at current network prices, the total host income for storage (which will also be about the amount of money spent on storage) is estimated to be about $62,000,000. This is over the entire history of Sia. Sianotes are far from worthless, especially if you expect Sia to sell more than $62,000,000 of storage over its entire lifetime. We (the devs) certainly do.

So I think the current valuation of 18,000Nxt per sianote is a fair one in fiat term.
bubbletea789

Activity: 173

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:22:18 AM

Also this https://nxtforum.org/alternate-cryptocurrencies/sia-official-nxt-thread/msg61331/#msg61331 about seed funding announcement to the parent company.
It seems like Taek has removed the announcement. So my question to Taek is why the deletion?

If it was true that 7.5% of the parents company was sold for $375,000, then Nebulous was valued at $5,000,000 at the time for the company equity  of 8780 siafund(sianotes) at ~$250 each (valued at $2,195,000) + goodwill (consisting of 2 talented devs + plans for other projects by Nebulous).

Therefore $250 per siafund appears to be the fair value, and it is still too cheap given the potential of this project.
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 05:39:11 AM

Adding to my list.

In fact, Siafund is of different nature compared to storj coins. siacoin is the equivalent of storj coins. So even though your calculations are correct, the comparison is largely irrelevant. 10,000 siafunds are entitled to receive 3.9% of all host incomes.

However I want to point out that when Siafunds (formerly sianotes) were first offered, it was around 250usd each because Nxt price was much higher by that time. I found this in the Nxt forum https://nxtforum.org/alternate-cryptocurrencies/sia-official-nxt-thread/msg61639/#msg61639

Quote from Taek: (awhile ago when it was at $250 per siafund(sianote))
Currently Sianotes are being sold for ~$250 USD each. 1250 are then worth about $312,500, meaning at current network prices, the total host income for storage (which will also be about the amount of money spent on storage) is estimated to be about $62,000,000. This is over the entire history of Sia. Sianotes are far from worthless, especially if you expect Sia to sell more than $62,000,000 of storage over its entire lifetime. We (the devs) certainly do.

So I think the current valuation of 18,000Nxt per sianote is a fair one in fiat term.

i am completely confused with all this transfers of one to another situation ... nxt - sianotes - siafunds ... too complicated for my little head to comprehend ...

so ill do what we do best - mine ...

today is the last day for this anyway - which means we have run out of time to absorb this properly ...

so when the full and complete details of the mining is posted - will get that sorted ...

we just need to know whether blake and blake2b can be mined the same way ... or does it require a specialized miner? ... or ...

#crysx

Taek (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 09:47:20 AM

On siacoin.com it mentions a 3.9% fee, is that still in debate or are you definitely creating more sianotes and increasing it to 10%? Also, I noticed on the asset exchange that there is a buy order for 20 sianotes at 2,000NXT each by the asset issuer.  Is nebulous trying to buy back sianotes or is that just to set a price floor?

Also, I only really know how to mine scrypt or sha on a mac.  Could you point me to something I can download that would let me CPU or GPU mine sia on my mac?  Preferably with a GUI?

No, we're keeping it at 3.9%.

As for mining, we'll be releasing a gpu miner with a GUI soon.

Sia needs a way to save files, I don't think that's possible if you're launching it from a rar archive. Maybe we can have an installer or something though.

When we sold them, we sold ~1250 for an average of what was worth ~$96usd each. Their price catapulted to somewhere around $300 each I believe, and later went as low as $11 each. Certainly a high volatility asset.

Also this https://nxtforum.org/alternate-cryptocurrencies/sia-official-nxt-thread/msg61331/#msg61331 about seed funding announcement to the parent company.
It seems like Taek has removed the announcement. So my question to Taek is why the deletion?

If it was true that 7.5% of the parents company was sold for $375,000, then Nebulous was valued at $5,000,000 at the time for the company equity  of 8780 siafund(sianotes) at ~$250 each (valued at $2,195,000) + goodwill (consisting of 2 talented devs + plans for other projects by Nebulous).

Therefore $250 per siafund appears to be the fair value, and it is still too cheap given the potential of this project.

I wanted to keep things concise. Going forward, we will be primarily venture funded.

i am completely confused with all this transfers of one to another situation ... nxt - sianotes - siafunds ... too complicated for my little head to comprehend ...

heh sorry about that. Sianotes and Siafunds are essentially the same thing. Sianotes are on the nxt AE, and siafunds are on the Sia blockchain. 1 Sianote doesn't do anything, it's just a promise that you can convert it to a siafund. 1 siafund gets you some siacoin income every time that a file contract terminates (successfully or unsuccessfully). Siafunds are only good for providing income, and are an investment asset.

Siacoins are the primary currency. All storage contracts are in siacoins, and most people will be holding onto siacoins and not siafunds. You mine siacoins the same way you mine bitcoins.

we just need to know whether blake and blake2b can be mined the same way ... or does it require a specialized miner? ... or ...

blake and blake2b require different mining software. We'll be releasing a gpu on June 7th when we launch everything else.
G2M

Activity: 280

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 11:32:48 AM

Will siafunds be individually divisible?

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 12:32:43 PM

No, we're keeping it at 3.9%.

As for mining, we'll be releasing a gpu miner with a GUI soon.

Sia needs a way to save files, I don't think that's possible if you're launching it from a rar archive. Maybe we can have an installer or something though.

When we sold them, we sold ~1250 for an average of what was worth ~$96usd each. Their price catapulted to somewhere around $300 each I believe, and later went as low as $11 each. Certainly a high volatility asset.

I wanted to keep things concise. Going forward, we will be primarily venture funded.

heh sorry about that. Sianotes and Siafunds are essentially the same thing. Sianotes are on the nxt AE, and siafunds are on the Sia blockchain. 1 Sianote doesn't do anything, it's just a promise that you can convert it to a siafund. 1 siafund gets you some siacoin income every time that a file contract terminates (successfully or unsuccessfully). Siafunds are only good for providing income, and are an investment asset.

Siacoins are the primary currency. All storage contracts are in siacoins, and most people will be holding onto siacoins and not siafunds. You mine siacoins the same way you mine bitcoins.

blake and blake2b require different mining software. We'll be releasing a gpu on June 7th when we launch everything else.

all good taek ...

will the miner be a two fold one? ... nvidia and amd - that we can compile ourselves?

we have a great deal of storage for a server and rebuilding one with 3 time the amount again ...

can these be used for the network also? or is the storage of data done in a different way? ...

we are miners first and foremost - so mining is what we do best ... hence the original takeover of granitecoin by me a while back ...

unfortunately for - im no developer or marketer - so the progress for grn has been a long slow one ...

sia is especially interesting - and would like to participate in more ways than 'just' investing in it ...

#crysx

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: