Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:59:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382129 times)
Taek (OP)

Activity: 543
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 07:23:31 PM

Still same issue, please see image capture. Wallet is unlocked, I select 'create address':
http://imgur.com/azamjyI

Are you using version 0.4.3? Can you open up the file directory and look for the wallet.json file? (On mac, right-click the Sia executable and select 'show package contents', then it should be in app/Sia/wallet/wallet.json).

Have you tried restarting Sia? It might also help to reboot your computer. You are seeing a strange error  Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcdee

Activity: 406
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 08:03:21 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2015, 10:02:20 PM by btcdee

Still same issue, please see image capture. Wallet is unlocked, I select 'create address':
http://imgur.com/azamjyI

Are you using version 0.4.3? Can you open up the file directory and look for the wallet.json file? (On mac, right-click the Sia executable and select 'show package contents', then it should be in app/Sia/wallet/wallet.json).

Have you tried restarting Sia? It might also help to reboot your computer. You are seeing a strange error  Huh

Yes, v. 0.4.3
As for wallet.json, it wasn't in the above location and could not find it anywhere else. folder content:

I have restarted, didn't help. BTW, a few days ago after experiencing the same issue I reinstalled the client.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 12:21:27 AM

ya know, the GUI is really coming along and so many things are done right, but...

(1) The 4.3 GUI identifies itself as 4.2

(2) And it's crazy to spend 2000 hours coding... and then spend 2-3 hours on documentation (pS vs zS vs fS, etc).

(3) Expecting ordinary people to muck around with port-forwarding is unrealistic...
And opens up all sorts of security issues for people with valuable networks that are not security professionals.

(4) The "file sharing" community consists of about 50,000,000 people (Pirate Bay daily unique visitors circa 2010)...
While the "alt coin" community consists of maybe 10,000 people split into about 100 warring mini-cults.

Guess which community the Dev needs to be targeting Huh

And by "targeting" I mean build in a specific feature that will result in a Siacoin download....
Yes, baby, give something valuable away for free like Google did for many years to build critical mass...
You need to to forget about vaporware like STORJ and MAID... and get SC up to 1000 downloads/day.    

Carry on, it's great to see steady, consistent progress on all fronts.
MinermanNC
Legendary

Activity: 2198

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 02:54:19 AM

Sia is an awesome concept. I am just glad to have been privileged to see it launch and be involved from ground floor, watching it grow even with its inherit pains.. lol It is taking on a life of its own. (and coin value has had a pretty decent floor overall that can only go up)

Taek is a fantastic dev and communicator as well. I feel the project is in good hands  Smiley we are in good hands

*BTC: 1DiR25SPo84sThzTATr27EZEQZLt6hv6tG
ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 04:34:41 PM

ya know, the GUI is really coming along and so many things are done right, but...

(2) And it's crazy to spend 2000 hours coding... and then spend 2-3 hours on documentation (pS vs zS vs fS, etc).

(3) Expecting ordinary people to muck around with port-forwarding is unrealistic...
And opens up all sorts of security issues for people with valuable networks that are not security professionals.

(4) The "file sharing" community consists of about 50,000,000 people (Pirate Bay daily unique visitors circa 2010)...
While the "alt coin" community consists of maybe 10,000 people split into about 100 warring mini-cults.

And by "targeting" I mean build in a specific feature that will result in a Siacoin download....
Yes, baby, give something valuable away for free like Google did for many years to build critical mass...
You need to to forget about vaporware like STORJ and MAID... and get SC up to 1000 downloads/day.    

The project is still in beta stage: for me it is still normal than it isn't useable by non tech oriented people.
On the other hand I agree with you than we will need something more plug & play to reach the masses : upnp, possibility to host files without fixed ip ... with an user friendly GUI.
I suppose the dev team is well aware of these points but they need time ...
bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 04:41:05 PM

The project is still in beta stage: for me it is still normal than it isn't useable by non tech oriented people.
On the other hand I agree with you than we will need something more plug & play to reach the masses : upnp, possibility to host files without fixed ip ... with an user friendly GUI.

Upnp support is already included and you can host on a dynamic ip if you use a service similar to dyndns or no-ip.org by announcing with
Code:
siac announce myname.no-ip.org:9982

{ BitSpill }
ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 07:19:12 PM

Upnp support is already included and you can host on a dynamic ip if you use a service similar to dyndns or no-ip.org by announcing with
Code:
siac announce myname.no-ip.org:9982
Thanks!
I didn't notice and expect this at this stage.
Great!
Merick

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 01:26:08 AM

I just did a test withdraw from Poloniex into my own wallet.  I have hosting contracts working and the wallet seems to be working fine.  I made one new address and had Polo send my coins to that address.  However I end up with a Completed:Error status on my Polo Transaction list.  They are trying to fix it now.

Any ideas on why the transaction might not have worked, or anything I can do to verify the wallet can receive coins properly?

Also, how long can I shut down my wallet and not get penalized on my hosting contracts?  I'm assuming a quick restart will not hurt anything.

Thank You
btcprice

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 02:20:11 AM

Sia is an awesome concept. I am just glad to have been privileged to see it launch and be involved from ground floor, watching it grow even with its inherit pains.. lol It is taking on a life of its own. (and coin value has had a pretty decent floor overall that can only go up)

Taek is a fantastic dev and communicator as well. I feel the project is in good hands  Smiley we are in good hands

It's good to see that there are still people in this thread helping to answer questions. That gives me hope for this coin in the future.

I've been watching the price on Polo since it was at 11 satoshis a little over a week ago. I finally decided to invest when I saw the price go from 14 satoshis to 19 in one day. It corrected back to 15 but I was able to get in before it went back up to 18 where it presently stands.
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 04:53:03 AM

I just did a test withdraw from Poloniex into my own wallet.  I have hosting contracts working and the wallet seems to be working fine.  I made one new address and had Polo send my coins to that address.  However I end up with a Completed:Error status on my Polo Transaction list.  They are trying to fix it now.

Any ideas on why the transaction might not have worked, or anything I can do to verify the wallet can receive coins properly?

Also, how long can I shut down my wallet and not get penalized on my hosting contracts?  I'm assuming a quick restart will not hurt anything.

Thank You

Good question on the shutdown? I just checked and I have 62 contracts with .78 GB used. Earnings to earn 56.62 Sia woot! lol

And I only have had Sia hosting for a day and a half now...interesting  Grin

X1235

Activity: 671
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 05:07:41 AM

File download error: 500 internal server error, insufficient hosts to recover. Should I change the configuration of my client?
Taek (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 05:11:07 AM

Yes, v. 0.4.3
As for wallet.json, it wasn't in the above location and could not find it anywhere else. folder content:

I have restarted, didn't help. BTW, a few days ago after experiencing the same issue I reinstalled the client.

Can anyone else report similar problems? I'm not sure why the wallet.json file is being deleted. Do you have Sia in a synchronized folder? Is it possible that some background service is synchronizing the Sia folder to a previous state, which is wiping out the wallet.json (as well as some of the other folders)? As far as I'm aware, there is no code in Sia that would delete a wallet file.

We've spent quite a bit more than that on documentation, I don't think you give us enough credit. Do you have a specific question in this case?

If you have better ideas on how to handle port forwarding, you should let us know or do the implementations yourself. Port management is an incredibly difficult thing for developers, and beyond upnp there are very few applications (not even Bitcoin or more bit-torrent clients) that are able to do that for users. Most applications are okay if you don't forward your ports. Sia is okay too, unless you want to be a host. Being a host requires having forwarded ports and there's not much we can do about that besides what we've already done. Upnp is supported by Sia, which handles a lot of the users, but not all of them.

You should check out this blog post: http://blog.siacoin.com/2015/07/25/why-ipv4-inhibits-decentralization/

Sia supports

Do you feel that we are not targeting that community? Sia is a financial system, it's absolutely imperative that all the money details work well, that people aren't losing coins, that hackers can't steal files, that there's no way to cheat the system. The foundation is going to be under a lot of pressure, because exploiting a weak foundation in a financial system can be very profitable.

Also, giveaways tend not to work as well in byzantine systems.

Tongue

We will continue working  Smiley

Also, how long can I shut down my wallet and not get penalized on my hosting contracts?  I'm assuming a quick restart will not hurt anything.

Long term, we want hosts to be above 95% uptime. That's a rough number, I'm not exactly sure what's going to be statistically the best. Higher is always better, but for our purposes 99% is almost indistinguishable from 99.99999% - the erasure coding and redundancy will bring a set of 99% uptime hosts very far, and allows hosts to focus on being cheap as opposed to being reliable. But something between 95% and 99.9% is probably going to end up being optimal for most people. For the record, 95% uptime means that you can be off for about an hour per day. Over the course of a month, you can spend an hour rebooting a few times and then still be able to survive an accidental prolonged outage (say you lose power or something) that lasts nearly a day.

File download error: 500 internal server error, insufficient hosts to recover. Should I change the configuration of my client?

Shocked oh no!

Is your client configured differently than the defaults? The defaults should have been enough to protect you from that error. Also, stupid question, but was the internet working when you tried to fetch the file? If you try again, does it still fail? What version are you using?
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 05:31:16 AM

When does the amount "to be earned" that is now showing, become "earned"  Wink What trips the switch to get paid... been a bit confused on this..  Huh

Taek (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 04:01:41 PM

When does the amount "to be earned" that is now showing, become "earned"  Wink What trips the switch to get paid... been a bit confused on this..  Huh

Happens automatically after 6-8 weeks.

=================

Sia 0.4.4 has been released!

https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia-UI/releases/tag/v0.4.4-beta

This release features a reskinned UI, an 'upload folder' button, and some significant improvements to the uploading algorithm. As with previous releases, we have also made a serious of bugfixes and minor usability improvements.

There's also a new miner, v1.0.3, that needs to be used with the new sia version. 0.4.4 should have a much lower stale rate than previous versions.

Please don't forget to upgrade from v0.3.3.3, the hardfork is just a few days away.
btcdee

Activity: 406
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 06:24:12 PM

Can anyone else report similar problems? I'm not sure why the wallet.json file is being deleted. Do you have Sia in a synchronized folder? Is it possible that some background service is synchronizing the Sia folder to a previous state, which is wiping out the wallet.json (as well as some of the other folders)? As far as I'm aware, there is no code in Sia that would delete a wallet file.

Congrats on the 0.4.4 release, looks fantastic!
As for the wallet.json file issue, I thought it might be resolved with the new release but the problem persists on my mac os x. The Sia app is not in a synchronized folder. really strange...
X1235

Activity: 671
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 07:08:26 PM

Shocked oh no!

Is your client configured differently than the defaults? The defaults should have been enough to protect you from that error. Also, stupid question, but was the internet working when you tried to fetch the file? If you try again, does it still fail? What version are you using?

The Sia client on localhost is always online (I guess that otherwise it won't be able to fetch the server error Wink ). It is the default configuration, no changes.
Merick

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 08:14:45 PM

Yes, v. 0.4.3

We've spent quite a bit more than that on documentation, I don't think you give us enough credit. Do you have a specific question in this case?

If you have better ideas on how to handle port forwarding, you should let us know or do the implementations yourself. Port management is an incredibly difficult thing for developers, and beyond upnp there are very few applications (not even Bitcoin or more bit-torrent clients) that are able to do that for users. Most applications are okay if you don't forward your ports. Sia is okay too, unless you want to be a host. Being a host requires having forwarded ports and there's not much we can do about that besides what we've already done. Upnp is supported by Sia, which handles a lot of the users, but not all of them.

You should check out this blog post: http://blog.siacoin.com/2015/07/25/why-ipv4-inhibits-decentralization/

Sia supports

Do you feel that we are not targeting that community? Sia is a financial system, it's absolutely imperative that all the money details work well, that people aren't losing coins, that hackers can't steal files, that there's no way to cheat the system. The foundation is going to be under a lot of pressure, because exploiting a weak foundation in a financial system can be very profitable.

Also, giveaways tend not to work as well in byzantine systems.

Tongue

We will continue working  Smiley

Also, how long can I shut down my wallet and not get penalized on my hosting contracts?  I'm assuming a quick restart will not hurt anything.

Long term, we want hosts to be above 95% uptime. That's a rough number, I'm not exactly sure what's going to be statistically the best. Higher is always better, but for our purposes 99% is almost indistinguishable from 99.99999% - the erasure coding and redundancy will bring a set of 99% uptime hosts very far, and allows hosts to focus on being cheap as opposed to being reliable. But something between 95% and 99.9% is probably going to end up being optimal for most people. For the record, 95% uptime means that you can be off for about an hour per day. Over the course of a month, you can spend an hour rebooting a few times and then still be able to survive an accidental prolonged outage (say you lose power or something) that lasts nearly a day.

Shocked oh no!

Linux System - Kubuntu 14.04
Sia 0.4.3

I was just looking into backing up my  Wallet.json file and I just noticed the same thing as posted above.  There is no Wallet.json file.  I have roughly 277 contracts, with ~4.77GB worth of hosting.  I am able to unlock my "wallet" with my 29 words but I do not have a wallet.json file.  I have created addresses and on a Sia restart, those addresses are no longer listed.  This is probably why my test withdrawal from Poloniex failed.

What specifically do I have to do to update to 0.4.4.  I would like to keep my hosting contracts and the block chain all intact for the upgrade.  I am using the U.I. version by the way

I am applying System updates and rebooting, maybe I will get a Wallet.json.  I have also done a system search and that file is no place on my computer.

Thank You
Merick

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 03:18:52 AM

After shutting down Sia, rebooting, and re-starting 0.4.3 UI a Wallet.json file did appear.  My storage contracts are not showing up and the Block Height indicator started from 0 and stalled on 18237.

I shut down UI 0.4.3 and just started UI 0.4.4 (bother versions are in separate folders).  0.4.4 started up fine but the block height is stuck on 18237, its been stuck there for a couple hours now.  I will leave it over night and see what happens.

Any suggestions?
Taek (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:15:28 AM

After shutting down Sia, rebooting, and re-starting 0.4.3 UI a Wallet.json file did appear.  My storage contracts are not showing up and the Block Height indicator started from 0 and stalled on 18237.

I shut down UI 0.4.3 and just started UI 0.4.4 (bother versions are in separate folders).  0.4.4 started up fine but the block height is stuck on 18237, its been stuck there for a couple hours now.  I will leave it over night and see what happens.

Any suggestions?

How did you do the upgrade?

What you want to do is take all of the old folders + files and copy them into the new app/Sia/ folder in the UI. After a few minutes it should get unstuck from height 18237.

----

I think what's happening with the wallet.json file is that when you close the 0.4.3 UI, the old 'siad' is not actually getting shut down. When you start the 0.4.4 UI, it's probably still looking at the 0.4.3 'siad', which means that it's using a different wallet file.

We need a better upgrade process.
provenceday
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 06:59:14 AM

super nice to see this project achieve a big process!
Pages: « 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: