Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:58:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 66 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BETA]Bitfinex.com first Bitcoin P2P lending platform for leverage trading  (Read 137469 times)
Ichthyo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 02:51:12 AM

It looks like Bitcoin price is falling sharp right now, maybe Bitfinex is being drowned out?

To put that a bit into relation. Recall that Bitfinex is not a bucket shop (assuming that what the owner tells us is true). That is, there is a real position in the market (Mt.Gox) which amounts to the netted balance of all user's open positions.

Now, if we assume 1:5 leverage, the situation starts getting serious when the losses have burnt 1/5 of the nominal value of the position. I.e. the rate would have to move by 20%, which means currently a drop below $20
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThaddeusB

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 04:09:29 AM

Is it possible to register on the bitfinex forum?  It doesn't seem to be because it demands a referral code. :/

Damn my luck.  I correctly predicted the drop and was short.  I would have closed out in the low 22s (on the way down) most likely, but now it looks like I will have to close at a loss since BTC has fully recovered and the site is still down.
Ichthyo

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 05:36:48 AM

Damn my luck.
I would have....
but now it looks like I will have to close at a loss....

You're not alone. I'd bet several of us are looking at some losses now, for one reason or the other.
Plus the situation is complicated, since the engine seems to have continued to run and execute at least some orders.

If I just suffer a loss due to a wrong decision, or if I think I could have done something if there wasn't that obstacle --- If we see it as something that happens to us, its quite a difference, if we see it as a part of the risk we're taking, it doesn't make much of a difference. Frankly, I don't know how to judge that.

Anyhow, lets wait for Rapahel to tell us what actually happened.
Also it would be good to know roughly what this incident meant for the Platform, financially.
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 06:04:19 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2013, 07:51:08 AM by myself

Is it possible to register on the bitfinex forum?  It doesn't seem to be because it demands a referral code. :/
if you are a BFX user you get the code so check your email

you got invited on
31st January 2013, 05:08 PM

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 09:13:02 AM

Damn my luck.
I would have....
but now it looks like I will have to close at a loss....

You're not alone. I'd bet several of us are looking at some losses now, for one reason or the other.
Plus the situation is complicated, since the engine seems to have continued to run and execute at least some orders.

If I just suffer a loss due to a wrong decision, or if I think I could have done something if there wasn't that obstacle --- If we see it as something that happens to us, its quite a difference, if we see it as a part of the risk we're taking, it doesn't make much of a difference. Frankly, I don't know how to judge that.

Anyhow, lets wait for Rapahel to tell us what actually happened.
Also it would be good to know roughly what this incident meant for the Platform, financially.

Hello everyone,

I'll write a detailed article about what happen. But in short, this was my fault. The server got under heavy load, got restarted but couldn't because of a pending update I made. Of course this happened half an hour after I went to bed and I discovered that this morning.
As you can see on the public log page https://www.bitfinex.com/pages/public_log, the backend engine continued to work and all positions are backed by lenders so we didn't have any problem with the price swing, losses were cutted before users got negative. So financially Bitfinex didn't take any losses. But you users took some losses (some of you severes one) and we will reimburse you.

I'll make a formal post on the community forum to explain the course of actions to take.

Please accept my most sincere apologies
Raphael
myself
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 02:01:11 PM

some updates for you
https://community.bitfinex.com/content.php/12-Black-Swan-14-02-2013-the-aftermath

my personal take on this
https://community.bitfinex.com/showthread.php/92-And-the-server-went-down-14-02-2013?p=243&viewfull=1#post243

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
Polvos

Activity: 597

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 04:23:29 PM

Is the server down again?

Ichthyo

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 04:39:56 PM

Server is down right now for me too.

Raphael indicated in one of his respnses, that the server couldn't restart yesterday due to a pending update; thus it looks likely to me that they are restarting/upgrading right now....
ThaddeusB

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 04:45:48 PM

Is it possible to register on the bitfinex forum?  It doesn't seem to be because it demands a referral code. :/

you got invited on

OK, so I found the code and registered, but I still can't post.  The registration said something about an activation email (which seems rather silly since you only let people register from bitfinex registered emails anyway), but I didn't get it.

In any case, bitfinex is still down for me.
myself
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 04:46:05 PM

now each time the server gets rebooted or a update there will be a "WTF just happen" effect :/

Ichthyo

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 04:46:42 PM

Seems it was just restarted,
Its up and working for me again
ThaddeusB

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 04:55:33 PM

you got invited on

OK, so I found the code and registered, but I still can't post.  The registration said something about an activation email (which seems rather silly since you only let people register from bitfinex registered emails anyway), but I didn't get it.

Looks like the server reset fixed both issues - site is up and email was sent.
myself
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 12:41:15 PM

Orders routed to BFX will have 0% fees for a week

please accept this "compensation" for the 14/02/2013 downtime

PAPASO

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 01:05:35 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2013, 01:33:46 PM by PAPASO

I saw:

days   rate           amount
21      39.99%      usd1495

21 days rate is  39.99/365 x 21 = 2.3% ?

I borrowed usd20.2 in my account, but margin receive:0 ,can you tell me why?
myself
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 01:15:55 PM

I saw:

days   rate           amount
21      39.99%      usd1495

21 days rate is  39.99/365 x 21 = 2.3% ?
you mean if you use the loan for the 21 days ? (i suppose you mean that) then yes is 2.3% for the 21 days

1495*39.99%=597.8505
597.8505/365=1.6379
1.6379*21=34.3959
1495*2.3%=34.385

myself
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 01:46:54 PM

@ PAPASO your post remember me about a point that was not addressed on BFX regarding the interest and early on payments I made a thread here https://community.bitfinex.com/showthread.php/99-Interest-time-and-fairness to talk about this topic

PAPASO

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 01:54:54 PM

sorry,i dont understand, can you tell me why Margin reserved: 0 directly?
myself
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 02:08:06 PM

sorry,i dont understand, can you tell me why Margin reserved: 0 directly?
i hope this will answer your question https://community.bitfinex.com/showwiki.php?title=Margin+reserved

PAPASO

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 02:18:54 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2013, 02:34:50 PM by PAPASO

If my margin reserved: 100 BTC , leverage 1:5
 how many btc can i margin buy?
myself
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 02:27:22 PM

I think you dont understand what i said
I already borrowed usd but in my margin reserved: 0
because your borrowed funds are a shorter time frame that your position time frame

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 66 »
  Print  

Jump to: