Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:01:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Batch #1 Ships  (Read 238874 times)
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:06:32 PM

hi,

here are some info and advise.

about water cooling: yes, do it.

NG,

Question:
 I am not familiar with water cooling other than for gaming machines that have pre-built kits.  How would you suggest I do it for these custom boxes?

Thank You,
Lauren

Dude,

What i will do (sharing ideas) :

1. Rotate 3 stock fans to blow hot air out. The fan near PSU is just not effective as long as aar is gowning nowhere straight to the wires
2. Install to additional heavy duty fans (220V) to suck cold air in front
Pros: Achieve negative air pressure and more air flow which seems to be better in general speaking of cooling
Cons More dust and power. Power is added in all cases when you do install additional cooling)

I think this should be more than enough for a start. I have other ideas but when time comes:)

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:09:46 PM

I am not familiar with water cooling other than for gaming machines that have pre-built kits.  How would you suggest I do it for these custom boxes?

You'll need to wait until some other people get their Avalons so they can work on developing a solution

For example, Stan distortion

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=62794

did a cooling block for the Lancelot FPGA board as part of a devcoin project a few months ago, the details of that are here: https://github.com/stan-distortion/qcool-monoblock

Try motivating him by placing a pre-order ;-)
pc163

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:21:41 PM

ngzhang, what about the shiping?  My shiping address is in china, and no custom issues . if you go with sf-express, it only take 2day at most to arrive.
so it's not ship yet?
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:41:53 PM

Please Avalon, don't be like BFL; if there is some delay in manufacturing/assembly, then please let us all know. It is obvious something is going on and I, as a potential customer, don't like being lied to (that was my biggest beef with BFL.)

It is a little fishy that even some Batch 1 customers THAT ARE IN CHINA have not received their ASICs yet...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue Tongue Grin Grin
loshia
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:55:16 PM

Please Avalon, don't be like BFL; if there is some delay in manufacturing/assembly, then please let us all know. It is obvious something is going on and I, as a potential customer, don't like being lied to (that was my biggest beef with BFL.)

It is a little fishy that even some Batch 1 customers THAT ARE IN CHINA have not received their ASICs yet...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue Tongue Grin Grin

Dude,
They are super strict about the order they sent the avalons believe me. Everyone has a place in the queue and it does not matter at all if he is local or his shipping adders is nearby the moon

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:18:14 PM

Hey guys, just got a batch of tracking numbers, going to send out emails through out the day today.

I've heard nothing either.  My order was placed 23 minutes after Keefe's, number 20000017x, so I expect I'm not too far behind him in the queue.  I'm also in the US.

I sure wish I could login to the avalon webstore and see the status of my order, and maybe tracking information, but alas the link 404s anymore.

http://shop.avalon-asic.com/customer/account/

I can tell you it's shipped as your tracking info was on the list, so is Keefe for that matter.

Woohoo!   Grin

Thank you for the confirmation!  No email yet, but I haz some more patience.

I plan to take the day off when it's scheduled to arrive, so I'll be sure to be home to receive it (I imagine it may require a signature.)

Still no tracking number received.

I hope I get it before I find a notice on my door one day saying that DHL came by and no one was home, or worse, they leave the notice on my neighbor's door and I never know.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
loshia
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:21:31 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 06:34:03 PM by loshia

I hope I get it before I find a notice on my door one day saying that DHL came by and no one was home, or worse, they leave the notice on my neighbor's door and I never know.
+1
Or worse when you never know your unit is going back to it's origin because it has never been delivered to you
Nightmare but it could happen

Bitsync, please do as you said and send us tracking numbers
Thank you very much in advance!
I personally want to plan my appointments and have at least one day off. DHL are recognizing my voice already when i am calling them asking same questions over and over. A simple tracking info will put all drama to an happy end until batch 2 start to ship Wink

rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:29:54 PM

hi,

about the gloves: one of our customer cut his hand when dis-assembling the machine. so we present a pair of gloves for all of you. please put it on when dis-assembling or carrying.

about the plastic sheets: please remove them BEFORE mining. we design the case as a part of heatsink, so remove the plastic sheets may help. no need for remove them clean and tidy.

about FAN change: DO NOT change the fans to a low speed model. will cause over heat. DO NOT install extra fans at the rear "fan socket". will cause PSU over heat and nearly useless for module cooling.

about install extra heat-sinks on each avalon chip: please do not do that. there is a air gap between the die and package top, install a heatsink on chip is useless. and will cause overheating. because  the top PCB copper act as a heatsink too. do not cover them.

dou you think we can immerse the modules ìn mineral oil?
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:43:55 PM

This is my plan to reduce noise. Hope it's feasible. I'm thinking about using Voltesso or Nynas electric transformers oil with an external radiator.
invader

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:45:15 PM

Hello ngzhang, nice to see your comments about device cooling.
Im planning to use my own custom-made openframe aluminium case for 4gpu and install hashing modules there, probably would be using already installed motherboard, compile device specific cgminer and just connect it via usb (or reuse native avalon controller, but then fan control logic needs to be overwritten).
Fans probably would be right on the heatsinks of modules.
What do you think, is this better than just using your case design as-is?
PS. still no track no. Sad
loshia
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:07:00 PM

This is my plan to reduce noise. Hope it's feasible. I'm thinking about using Voltesso or Nynas electric transformers oil with an external radiator.

Dude,
You are not gonna reduce the noise at all.

there are two important things to consider
1. Liquid flow how fast your oil goes through radiator
2. In any case you have to blow air against the radiator. Otherwise no matter how big you radiator is or how good your liquidflow is you will have fried avalons for dinner

Blowing Air means fans = noise. Basically you will have same level of noise but instead blowing at pcb you will blow the radiator
For sure this approach is much better than air speaking of cooling alone but it will not reduce noise

01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:08:02 PM

I can use less noisy fan or even put the radiator outside?
loshia
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:09:53 PM

I can put the radiator outside?
If it is windy ALL the times and outside temp is lower than oil it is ok.
Yo have to blow cold air against it in order to cool it physics you can not do nothing about it.

To use less noisy (less airflow)  fan you have to put a lot of oil Just find a proper place to install your unit it will save you a lot of shit  - leaks, pumps  (producing noise also) houses and so on on and on

01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:15:13 PM

I mean putting the radiator with fans outside recirculating oil with a submersible pump. It's cold here most of the year. Thanks for your input.
loshia
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:18:33 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 08:45:30 PM by loshia

I mean putting the radiator with fans outside recirculating oil with a submersible pump. It's cold here most of the year. Thanks for your input.

putting it outside means long houses and aquarium pumps do not have enough power to make it + drilling the walls (to route the houses outside) and all fancy things you can think of Smiley

PS:01BTC10 in case you have not givven up already please  consider removing the radiators of the ASIC PCB or choose a proper material (not dissolved by oil) and seal them. oil can get through the radiator and reach the chips making air "oil" pockets with no circulation. that tiny places can become extremely hot and blow chips.
Second thing to consider - if you can make the level of your oil not to reach the ASIC PCB capacitors but to cover the chips just in case it is recommended. Check the oil level from time to times and and more if you need to. And finally to make you forgot about all of this i asked ngzhang same question two-three mounts ago and he said no. not a good idea. However he is the boss and he has final word to comment.Smiley

crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 03:00:18 AM

hi,

about the gloves: one of our customer cut his hand when dis-assembling the machine. so we present a pair of gloves for all of you. please put it on when dis-assembling or carrying.

about the plastic sheets: please remove them BEFORE mining. we design the case as a part of heatsink, so remove the plastic sheets may help. no need for remove them clean and tidy.

about FAN change: DO NOT change the fans to a low speed model. will cause over heat. DO NOT install extra fans at the rear "fan socket". will cause PSU over heat and nearly useless for module cooling.

about install extra heat-sinks on each avalon chip: please do not do that. there is a air gap between the die and package top, install a heatsink on chip is useless. and will cause overheating. because  the top PCB copper act as a heatsink too. do not cover them.

Regarding this what about installing fans that go faster or are of lower voltage and produce more RPM..

Regarding install of extra fans. Could you install extra devices to this that do not use the PSU inside the Avalon, but actually use a separate customized modual that you install them to the Avalon unit in places to add extra air flow intake and airflow out???

Regarding PSU over heat... What about using own PSU that is higher graded  PSU and is better controlled for air flow and heat.

Regarding water cooling: Yes, do it...... Can you advise on what cooling would be good for this??? How would you actually fit a block big enough I know about engineering so I could make a custom plate to fit on to all the chips. Where would you actually need to install water cooling to this unit what chips if all or some need to be covered??

I understand the modules have the big blocks on them already are they just sat on top of the chips or are they fitted to them securely and dimensions cut out for them Huh

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 03:43:43 AM

Hey guys, just got a batch of tracking numbers, going to send out emails through out the day today.

Which orders have been shipped? Does anyone have tracking numbers?

Buy & Hold
BeetcoinScummer

Activity: 215
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 03:44:01 AM

Regarding install of extra fans. Could you install extra devices to this that do not use the PSU inside the Avalon, but actually use a separate customized modual that you install them to the Avalon unit in places to add extra air flow intake and airflow out???

I believe what he is saying is that installing extra fans at the back to push out the air will starve some of the airflow through the PSU causing it to overheat. The PSU sucks air from inside the case so setting up the classic push-pull configuration is not necessarily better.
boonies4u

Activity: 826

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 03:47:31 AM

Just put these things in orbit and heat won't be an issue.
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 04:02:51 AM

I'm confused. Don't these units come all ready working with fans installed and all that?

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
Pages: « 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 »
  Print  

Jump to: