Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:48:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 91 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Batch #1 Ships  (Read 238873 times)
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:23:45 PM

400W and only termal pads? That means a lot of chips on board, I guess.. Did they say how much MHs per chip they got?

I think the final specs are part of the "surprise" they're talking about.  I know that in their situation I'd be kind of tempted to say nothing and let the first people to start using their product make "holy shit, they over-delivered" posts - as they're not taking any new orders right now, they can afford to do that.

I kind of regard everyone's first batch as proof of concept.  In a way, the first units shipped by each vendor are going to be prototypes.  Those who ordered first took the biggest risk, so I hope that all of the vendors will be willing to replace/upgrade those first units if necessary as problems are ironed out.

Those who want a given vendor to fail are forgetting that competition drives innovation.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:26:05 PM

For those like myself doing difficulty estimates for calculating future BTC price changes, can we assume this might have been an order of 75 Avalon discounted? What was original purchase price?

If 75, it's 4.5 TH/s.
BitSyncom (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:31:48 PM

For those like myself doing difficulty estimates for calculating future BTC price changes, can we assume this might have been an order of 75 Avalon discounted? What was original purchase price?

If 75, it's 4.5 TH/s.

Since this "joke" by PuertoLibre isn't dying, I'll confirm here that it is in fact been photoshop'd.

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:38:33 PM

I'll be happy to print this out and eat it if I'm wrong.

I'd actually like to see that too.

To quote almost every post in this thread: I want to see pics and vids of this as proof !  Grin

Can not take pictures because it is invisible ASIC - Stealth ASIC  - Miracle of Chinese electronics. Faster than the speed of light Wink
We have to trust their words because words are more important than the photos, Similarly to faith in god Wink (I am atheist)

People, I wasn't talking about pics and vids of the ASIC, check my quote: I want to see camosoul eat a piece of forum-print-out  Grin
A promise is a promise ....  Wink
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2013, 10:42:48 PM

Since this "joke" by PuertoLibre isn't dying, I'll confirm here that it is in fact been photoshop'd.
I went and added a note to PuertoLibre's post. I will never stop being amazed by people's inability to read!
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:52:46 PM

I just came in my pants. Congrats Avalon! I'm happy you guys are first. Happy new years guys, looks like I'll be ordering from yall!!
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:53:50 PM

Wow at today's prices and difficulty, you'd need 12 days to pay off everything (minus power).  Looks like we got a new bitcoin baron here.  I guess those people showing off their FPGA minirigs just got dethroned (ie. gigavps).
Is it too obvious if the initial post quoted "order quantity were edited to protect the innocent" that there is something wrong with the # of units?
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:59:28 PM

If 75, it's 4.5 TH/s.

Shocking that it took an official post to be the first to make the obvious point that that was photoshopped. Puerto did everything possible to make it painstaking clear that it was fake. 1/4th of the total batch.

In other notes, as my first time checking in on the boards, wewt, congrats Avalon, glad to see a company finally deliver. Can't wait to see the results when people get their orders. I was growing a little weary of all the BS.
Frizz23

Activity: 1162

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 11:02:19 PM

If 75, it's 4.5 TH/s.

Shocking that it took an official post to be the first to make the obvious point that that was photoshopped. Puerto did everything possible to make it painstaking clear that it was fake. 1/4th of the total batch, with an order number too high to exist within the batch, different font than original order that it was shopped from, etc.

You obviously can not read either:

(Order number is real though)

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 11:03:19 PM

If 75, it's 4.5 TH/s.

Shocking that it took an official post to be the first to make the obvious point that that was photoshopped. Puerto did everything possible to make it painstaking clear that it was fake. 1/4th of the total batch, with an order number too high to exist within the batch, different font than original order that it was shopped from, etc.

PuertoLibre: " ... (Order number is real though) ...".

You obviously can not read either.

I edited that out, but it still stands to reason regardless.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 11:05:01 PM

I was growing a little weary of all the BS.

The BS is going to continue until after BFL delivers.  Until then, the performance of each vendor's product can't be independently compared.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 11:10:39 PM

Congrats Avalon,but,so far only 2 units have been mentioned as sent out  Sad

You still win the trophy for "First units shipped" though  Cool

Let's see how many go out & how fast,before we panic about the network hashrate exploding  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 11:25:35 PM

If 75, it's 4.5 TH/s.

You obviously can not read either:

(Order number is real though)

Actually, the order number is real.

The rest is faked (as openly stated in my original post!). I didn't use Photoshop either.

Even BFL_Josh fell for it. It just goes to show that people don't actually read the posts in front of them! (as the Mod indicated)

I contacted Bitsyncom a short time before he posted as well....remarking how people on the forum don't seem to read before they post.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 12:12:06 AM

I'll post photos and a review when my unit arrives.

I was surprised that I was the only core developer who paid for a unit.  Followed the shotgun approach:  ordered units from all the people working on ASICs.

Good for you!

Most developers seem to be waiting for freebies simply because they are coders.

In most industries people pay for expensive Developer Kits (including a computer system).
Yes and those developer kits include software developed by the company producing it.

In this case the software is created by the developers ... and modified by the companies (or even modified by the developers themselves ...)

They save way more money by using free software already written by the developers than the cost of sending out a few boards.

Your comparison fails.

But it fails on an even higher level - Avalon have not sent any hardware to myself or ckolivas and have never said they would.
... though they have used cgminer ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 12:16:30 AM

Congrats Avalon,but,so far only 2 units have been mentioned as sent out  Sad

You still win the trophy for "First units shipped" though  Cool

Let's see how many go out & how fast,before we panic about the network hashrate exploding  Wink
Well - actually until there is some proof that it has been shipped - they don't get the "First units shipped" trophy.
Even jgarzik doesn't have a shipping confirmation yet.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137534.msg1466313#msg1466313
That I do indeed find surprising.

Now ... if that shipping time takes 5 days or even 10 days ... then there is still the small possibility of someone else actually running some other ASIC miner and proving it before jgarzik can.
Not likely, but still possible ...

No ASIC has "definitely" reached the finish line yet ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
BasementMiner!

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 12:25:31 AM

I didn't use Photoshop either.

As much as I don't like people claiming photoshop was the medium to deceit, "photoshoped" is popularly used to describe something that is fake.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 12:26:29 AM

I'll post photos and a review when my unit arrives.

I was surprised that I was the only core developer who paid for a unit.  Followed the shotgun approach:  ordered units from all the people working on ASICs.

Good for you!

Most developers seem to be waiting for freebies simply because they are coders.

In most industries people pay for expensive Developer Kits (including a computer system).
Yes and those developer kits include software developed by the company producing it.

In this case the software is created by the developers ... and modified by the companies (or even modified by the developers themselves ...)

They save way more money by using free software already written by the developers than the cost of sending out a few boards.

Your comparison fails.

But it fails on an even higher level - Avalon have not sent any hardware to myself or ckolivas and have never said they would.
... though they have used cgminer ...
Are you implying you should not buy hardware like the other developer?

I understand your position. But in this case, any development hardware sent to you actually generates BTC. Perhaps you should ask for a lease from different companies and then pay back the hardware costs through the coins it produces as you code for it?

--------------

I have noticed a few coders/developers in the wild seemingly....almost demanding....hardware because of their unique position to contribute compatible software updates.

Shouldn't you pay for it or return it once the coding process is done?

Do you sort of understand where I am coming from?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 12:40:51 AM

Oh you guys, I think everyone is at a boiling point because of the delays made by our competitors.

We shipped, website will be updated shortly.

First unit goes to Jeff Garzik in honor for the work he has done for the bitcoin codebase being the only developer who ordered from us.

we also arranged to ship a unit to the Bitcoin Foundation, whom is going to do a demo.

The avalon team on the other hand is going to make sure the whole shipping process go smoothly. like handling DHL/EMS problem, and other custom issues.

cheers.

Since Bitcoin Foundation doesn't have a physical address, and given the following members are scattered throughout the globe,... https://bitcoinfoundation.org/contact

Feel free to email our board with questions, suggestions, and any other Bitcoin-related feedback that you have. Transparent communication is our intention.

For Press Inquiries
Executive Director Peter Vessenes: peter@bitcoinfoundation.org
Secretary Jon Matonis: jon@bitcoinfoundation.org

Individual Member Class Questions
Secretary Jon Matonis: jon@bitcoinfoundation.org
Chief Scientist Gavin Andresen: gavin@bitcoinfoundation.org

Corporate Member Class Questions
Vice Chairman Charlie Shrem: charlie@bitcoinfoundation.org
Board Member Mark Karpeles: mark@bitcoinfoundation.org

Legal Questions / Contact
Chief Counsel Patrick Murck: patrick@bitcoinfoundation.org

General Questions
Assistant Director Lindsay Holland: lindsay@bitcoinfoundation.org

...is it safe to assume that Lindsay will be doing the actual testing, or am I forgetting someone?
wndrbr3d

Activity: 914

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:25:05 AM

I'm still skeptical. No pictures? No actual proof?

I'm thinking they're still not ready and are using this thread to buy time. All the FUD in this thread will probably buy them another week or two without having to formally announce a delay.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:28:16 AM

I'm still skeptical. No pictures? No actual proof?

I'm thinking they're still not ready and are using this thread to buy time. All the FUD in this thread will probably buy them another week or two without having to formally announce a delay.
Emphasis mine.

Someone hasn't read the thread. Here's the picture Avalon posted, for the 10th time now:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 91 »
  Print  

Jump to: