Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:42:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 91 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Batch #1 Ships  (Read 238869 times)
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 06:56:03 AM

I'm not a troll, but this picture not prove nothing...

What confuses me is that they couldn't simply post a picture without trolling their customers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Uglux

Activity: 222

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 07:18:23 AM

Funny how the Avalon logo on the chips is half the BFL logo... Grin
O_Shovah

Activity: 410
Merit: 252

Watercooling the world of mining

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 07:35:03 AM

Since I am stamped as a troll in these forums anyway, by so many people I step forward and ask the inconvenient questions:

Where is the image originally from?
Why isn't it in high resolution/uncropped/with exif data?
Why aren't there tons of pictures?
Why is the right chip significantly blurrier than the U4 label next to it?

Where is the image originally from? -> http://puu.sh/1Q8qQ

Why isn't it in high resolution/uncropped/with exif data? -> Handycam/Forumsize/i never do so too

Why aren't there tons of pictures? -> From personal experience.While your at development you rarly think of this.

Why is the right chip significantly blurrier than the U4 label next to it? -> Thats simply camera focus.A closeup cannot be all clear.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 07:54:15 AM

Since I am stamped as a troll in these forums anyway, by so many people I step forward and ask the inconvenient questions:

Why isn't it in high resolution/uncropped/with exif data? -> Handycam/Forumsize/i never do so too

Why aren't there tons of pictures? -> From personal experience.While your at development you rarly think of this.

Why is the right chip significantly blurrier than the U4 label next to it? -> Thats simply camera focus.A closeup cannot be all clear.

Who first posted it? Where?
Why crop it?
Why not make tons of photos in the shipping stage? (Where we are supposedly at)
Then why is the top right sharper than the bottom right and the bottom left sharper than the top left?
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 08:01:16 AM

Why crop it?
Then why is the top right sharper than the bottom right and the bottom left sharper than the top left?

Take a breath and wait for Jeff's review.
nathanrees19

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 08:05:53 AM

I was wondering that as well. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get pictures of the unit on several sides + with covers off. Then throw in a picture of the cgminer output.

At a guess, an odd camera angle with a low depth of field. Photographers can spend a lot of time lining up shots like this to make it "artistic", time that could have been spent taking a larger number of more practical photos.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 08:23:46 AM

At a guess, an odd camera angle with a low depth of field. Photographers can spend a lot of time lining up shots like this to make it "artistic", time that could have been spent taking a larger number of more practical photos.

Yes I thought of that, but from what I know in a macro shot the distance differential of a plane would vastly exceed the height the chips have.
I mean it might be possible that they used an artistic filter on the photo, when crop it, why not, lots of press photos are done this way. But it doesn't make sense for a photo that is supposed to "prove" something to critics.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 08:33:29 AM

We've anticipated this behavoir, so we decided to wait a little and address the following.

Trolls: omg post fucking photos!

Avalon posts photo.

Trolls: how we know these things even work! post fucking videos.

Avalon posts video.

Trolls: wtf that shit is staged.

Avalon says: wait till third party review.

and back where I originally started.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 08:35:26 AM

We've anticipated this behavoir, so we decided to wait a little and address the following.

Avalon posts photo.

Avalon posts video.

Fail

http://www.bitcointrading.com/forum/asic-mining/avalon-asic-development-status-(batch-1)/msg3869/#msg3869
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 08:43:32 AM

But it doesn't make sense for a photo that is supposed to "prove" something to critics.

It wasn't really meant to "prove" anything to the critics, though.  As Avalon acknowledged, a photo provided by them proves absolutely nothing - you could get a design student to make you a mock-up which looks like "the real thing".

Once Jeff or Bitcoin Foundation posts photos of the units they receive, photos can start being regarded as "proof".

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 08:50:55 AM

But it doesn't make sense for a photo that is supposed to "prove" something to critics.

It wasn't really meant to "prove" anything to the critics, though.  As Avalon acknowledged, a photo provided by them proves absolutely nothing - you could get a design student to make you a mock-up which looks like "the real thing".

Once Jeff or Bitcoin Foundation posts photos of the units they receive, photos can start being regarded as "proof".

Then what was the point of the photo? It seems so out of place.
But you are right, what needed to be said has been said, lets wait for the community verification.
repentance

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 08:57:45 AM
Last edit: January 21, 2013, 09:13:08 AM by repentance

Then what was the point of the photo? It seems so out of place.
But you are right, what needed to be said has been said, lets wait for the community verification.

It looks to me like a photo someone might have snapped for themselves at some point rather than a photo which was originally intended to be released for publicity.  I have a weird collection myself of photos taken during various projects which are outright strange in isolation and without context.

I kind of hope that all the ASIC manufacturers have a proper photographic record of their project development simply because this is a first but I understand that it may have been a low priority and that the only visual history may exist on people's cell phones.

For what it's worth, BFL has shown beautiful renders of their product and has recently shown photos of some of the actual components and it hasn't done much to convince people that they're going to deliver what they're promising.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 09:08:37 AM

Avalon posts photo.

Avalon posts video.

Fail

http://www.bitcointrading.com/forum/asic-mining/avalon-asic-development-status-(batch-1)/msg3869/#msg3869

aha, and "maplesyrupghost" from this forum above is associated with the Avalon ASIC Team?

BitSyncom (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 09:17:21 AM

aha, and "maplesyrupghost" from this forum above is associated with the Avalon ASIC Team?

Incorrect, photo was posted here first.

Vicus

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 09:34:25 AM

Have three questions:
1. Where shipment choice form?
2. Where tracking No. info?
3. All batch were shipped?
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 09:37:09 AM

Thank you for clarification! :-)

@ElectricMucus: sorry! Tongue

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 09:54:20 AM

Can you tell me where it has been posted? Because the timestamps on the other board are before the one quoted above.
repentance

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 09:57:34 AM

Can you tell me where it has been posted? Because the timestamps on the other board are before the one quoted above.

Did you adjust the post times for both boards to UTC?

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 10:15:26 AM

Did you adjust the post times for both boards to UTC?

You are right, this picture was posted later on that other forum.
All is forgiven, and sorry if I have offended anybody.
caoxg

Activity: 159

Winter is coming

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 10:52:50 AM

上海用户能直接发顺丰吗?

Grin

I'm running a Chinese crowdfunding website: dreamchina.com.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 91 »
  Print  

Jump to: