Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:23:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 91 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Batch #1 Ships  (Read 238869 times)
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:30:34 PM

You guys/gals do not know how to use that tool properly.

You folks don't even know what a JPEG matrix or quantization is nor how the tool even detects changes in an image.

There is nothing wrong with the tool. There is only bad interpretation(s) and bad application(s) of this tool without understanding what it compares.

(I used it several years ago (2006 -2008) when the hacker who made (and introduced) this tool first came out with it. I read the "white" papers on some of his theory and how they detect changes.

-------------------------------

Please don't make fools of yourselves by not knowing how to use the tool properly....

I wrote:
This photo was manipulated
This is not the original photo, you know it. I do not know what it was manipulated , It is possible that only resize. No exif also indicates manipulation.
I am not outright discouraging you.

I am just pointing out that you are using that tool in the wrong way without knowing how it's detection algorithms work and what they are intended to show.

------------------------------

You should start off with a program that can compare pixels to pixels. (not through jpeg quantification and matrix mis-matches).

I'll help you out:

http://www.abonsoft.com/pd_imagecompare.html

This is a very crappy but simple pixel level compare software. It should point out what parts are actually different if any. (without the other method which required a better understanding of what the tool actually does or how to interpret the results)
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:32:41 PM

Looks like there will be significant over-subscription for the second batch. How will you handle it? Some lottery or auction scheme maybe?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:34:25 PM

Silly question guys...Where is the logo on the left bottom chip?
Someone grab this guys avatar and post fail all over it. He's 7 tenths of the way there already....

Did you notice that the bottom row is "flipped", genius? (as in upside down)
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:35:05 PM

A3256 name of the chip.
3 unrolled cores @ 256MHz (or it is a name of SHA256 core)
Either way 3*256=768 MH/s. Or 3*333MHz=1GH/s <-more likely. 64 chips in device, 8 PCBs with 8 chips, or looking at PCB it will be more likely 16 chips onto 4 PCBs.
My BIG speculation....

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 01:37:15 PM

I just finished a post that you all might find fun, with charts and estimates and figures that will make you jealous of Jeff Garzik, using as up to date Avalon data as possible.

9.5 ASIC choices: Avalon ships, guerilla bitcoin mining and WWJE (what will Jeff earn?)

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Smoovious

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Scattering my bits around the net since 1980

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:44:32 PM

Someone grab this guys avatar and post fail all over it. He's 7 tenths of the way there already....

Hey, genius... did you notice, that even flipped, you should still see upside down text on the chip as there isn't enough free space on the right side up chips to account for all the empty space shown on the upside down chip?

-- Smoov
DutchBrat

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:52:15 PM

Hey, genius... did you notice, that even flipped, you should still see upside down text on the chip as there isn't enough free space on the right side up chips to account for all the empty space shown on the upside down chip?

-- Smoov

Maybe they supply sanded off chips to make life easier for BFL when they order them from Avalon Wink
Vicus

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:04:23 PM

Laser engraving on chip is best viewed under certain angle.  Especially if you make foto with flash. I think, photoflash blended text with chip background.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:09:27 PM

The image is of poor contrast and partially out of focus. (Possible Super Macro Mode settings)

A simple color filter shows two dark lines of lettering. Not very legible. Also the filter makes the dust and lint all the more apparent. Seems like this board has been in use for a few days in a non-clean environment.

P.S. Light source seems to be coming from the top left. Likely the poor lighting is playing a role in the lettering not being apparent along the bottom.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:16:53 PM

If you've ever tried to take macro photos of PCBs, you'll know that getting the letting to show really well can actually be quite the challenge, especially on multiple chips.

@organofcorti: That's also basically a worst case scenario for Jeff, since you're showing almost all the Avalon units hitting the network by the end of January. For all we know they might not even have 100 out the door by then.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 02:24:12 PM

@organofcorti: That's also basically a worst case scenario for Jeff, since you're showing almost all the Avalon units hitting the network by the end of January. For all we know they might not even have 100 out the door by then.

Maybe. The assumptions I've made are listed on the blog:

Assumptions:
  • 300 units will be shipped each fortnight.
  • The first units of a production run will be received after three days from the start of shipping, and the remaining units from of that production run will be received within ten days of start of shipping. I'm also assuming half of the units will be received after  seven days from the start of shipping. I have nothing to base this on other than my experiences in receiving parcels, so this may be completely wrong.
  • Units will arrive in a log-normally distributed fashion, with mean = log(168) hours after the first unit ships, and standard deviation of log(1.26).
  • The expected delivery date for the "BFL Single SC" has been updated to the week of the 10th of February. I'm assuming the first "BFL Single SC" will arrive on the 17th of February, which means about 25 days mining from the first Avalon unit is received until the first BFL unit is received.
  • The exchange rate is US$16 per btc, and Jeff's electricity costs are US$0.15/kWh
  • Jeff is able to have his new Avalon ASIC hasher up and running immediately at 66Ghps and 400W, and leaves it running for the entire twenty five days. There is no downtime.

It's also possible that they're a best case scenario, and rather than 300 units per fortnight its 500 units per fortnight.

I'll write a more serious post once Avalon and BFL have shipped more than three batches each (or just Avalon, if BFL still haven't shipped) and shipping times are better known.

DutchBrat

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:31:26 PM

Assumptions:
  • The first units of a production run will be received after three days from the start of shipping, and the remaining units from of that production run will be received within ten days of start of shipping. I'm also assuming half of the units will be received after  seven days from the start of shipping. I have nothing to base this on other than my experiences in receiving parcels, so this may be completely wrong.
  • Units will arrive in a log-normally distributed fashion, with mean = log(168) hours after the first unit ships, and standard deviation of log(1.26).
  • The expected delivery date for the "BFL Single SC" has been updated to the week of the 10th of February. I'm assuming the first "BFL Single SC" will arrive on the 17th of February, which means about 25 days mining from the first Avalon unit is received until the first BFL unit is received.
  • The exchange rate is US$16 per btc, and Jeff's electricity costs are US$0.15/kWh
  • Jeff is able to have his new Avalon ASIC hasher up and running immediately at 66Ghps and 400W, and leaves it running for the entire twenty five days. There is no downtime.

It's also possible that they're a best case scenario, and rather than 300 units per fortnight its 500 units per fortnight.

I'll write a more serious post once Avalon and BFL have shipped more than three batches each (or just Avalon, if BFL still haven't shipped) and shipping times are better known.

Don't forget to include ASICMINER.... last Thursday they said it might take more than 2 weeks to get all 12 wafers online and hashing (12TH) and they have already ordered more chips to scale it up. Hopefully we will know more exact numbers in 1 1/2 weeks....
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 02:32:43 PM

Don't forget to include ASICMINER.... last Thursday they said it might take more than 2 weeks to get all 12 wafers online and hashing (12TH) and they have already ordered more chips to scale it up. Hopefully we will know more exact numbers in 1 1/2 weeks....

Thanks for letting me know.

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:35:20 PM

Assumptions:

They've only sold 300 units and they've stated they won't start taking more orders until after Chinese New Years, so I don't think shipping 500 units in the next two weeks is very likely. They've also said they likely won't finish shipping before Chinese New Year but will try to get as many out as possible before then.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:38:13 PM

The image is of poor contrast and partially out of focus. (Possible Super Macro Mode settings)

A simple color filter shows two dark lines of lettering. Not very legible. Also the filter makes the dust and lint all the more apparent. Seems like this board has been in use for a few days in a non-clean environment.

P.S. Light source seems to be coming from the top left. Likely the poor lighting is playing a role in the lettering not being apparent along the bottom.

I'm still not seeing diddley squat

No need to be a cockhead

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Smoovious

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:38:25 PM

Laser engraving on chip is best viewed under certain angle.  Especially if you make foto with flash. I think, photoflash blended text with chip background.
Possibly, but that doesn't look like an angle that would be an issue on...

Plus, it doesn't look flash taken at all, but done under ambient lighting. Some spots are just too dark with smooth transitions from brighter to dimmer areas.

I know that can be done with very careful flash setups, but even then, the angle just still looks off for having the printing being washed out by glare.

I'm not suggesting there is something shady with the pic. Just since someone else mentioned it, and another guy was being insulting back, calling the first poster a name, and claiming it was because the chip itself was mounted in an inverted rotation, which was why it looked like there was no printing on it, I just felt like responding in kind with my own observation. Smiley

-- Smoov
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 02:41:35 PM

They've only sold 300 units and they've stated they won't start taking more orders until after Chinese New Years, so I don't think shipping 500 units in the next two weeks is very likely. They've also said they likely won't finish shipping before Chinese New Year but will try to get as many out as possible before then.

Ah, well then. I didn't know that. Damn that CNY.

Still, the section on guerilla bitcoin mining is valid.

Smoovious

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:43:09 PM

Good enuf. I can just make out the lower portion of the L and the O in the middle of AVALON,  in the very corner of the image. Mystery solved as far as I'm concerned. Smiley

well... with that done, I'm bored again... what's next?

-- Smoov
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 03:56:38 PM

Good enuf. I can just make out the lower portion of the L and the O in the middle of AVALON,  in the very corner of the image. Mystery solved as far as I'm concerned. Smiley

-- Smoov

If it makes and different, I'm a professional photographer and this image looks absolutely normal. Shooting Macro on Circuit boards is HARD. Actually so hard that it's pretty much impossible to do in one shot (with very few exceptions).

To do it right you basically need to do macro-stacking (http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html) to get any sort of decent result. With a few exceptions. This looks like it's just a point and shoot. FYI: yes the bottom does look flipped but not in photoshop. Looks like the board layout is like that. Flipping stuff is easy to do it when there is no perspective involved (which there is here) which makes doing that really hard to do well. It's not impossible, but this doesn't look like that has been done.

Anyway, we will know soon enough. Smiley

more or less retired.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 04:41:19 PM

Good enuf. I can just make out the lower portion of the L and the O in the middle of AVALON,  in the very corner of the image. Mystery solved as far as I'm concerned. Smiley

-- Smoov

Nope, still not seeing it.

I wasn't accusing anyone of being dodgy, I thought that chip may have another purpose and if there was a reason for not seeing anything.

If that is another Avalon chip and it does have something there I need my eyes tested.

Or there's nothing on there and you're all imagining things!

0.o

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 91 »
  Print  

Jump to: