Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:59:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Archive] BFL trolling museum  (Read 69319 times)
ice_chill

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 07:01:39 PM

If they release USB powered coffee warmers at 3.5Ghash, then these could be bought as gifts for friends by friends and given to anyone who uses Bitcoin to shop, even if they don't mine for profit.
Then it would be more about contributing to the network security rather than profiting with such devices.

Half a dozen of 3.5Ghash coffee warmers can only be a good thing for Bitcoin to guard against government or institutional attacks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 07:09:15 PM

Somethings nobody has posted as best I can tell...

• What are the network requirements for 1 Th/s?
  • How many pools can support a handful of users each pushing 3-4 TH/s each?
  • Will it be more efficient to solo-mine (assuming bonus PPS pools/proxies do not exist)?
  • Doesn't bitcoind start to chose around 200-300 Gh/s?

I think we have seen problems with home routers choking on 40-50 Gh/s  Huh

MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 07:16:23 PM

• Will it be more efficient to solo-mine (assuming bonus PPS pools/proxies do not exist)?

I think we have seen problems with home routers choking on 40-50 Gh/s  Huh

Problems occur because right now we are dealing with difficulty 1 shares. That can be changed any time if your mining software supports it. So I don't think there will be any problems.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 07:20:53 PM

This leaves me in a depressing situation.

I have Mini-Rig on order, and it looks ridiculous now that you can have 40Ghash for $1300. However as they said from begining you can't cancel MiniRig orders.
This means I have to pay 20% import tax, wait until the MiniRig makes that back, then spend money sending it back, etc.

I feel like an idiot to be honest.

What did you use to pay for the minirig ? Hopefully it wasnt BTC heh. If you used paypal or something reversable then simply make use of it.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 07:32:41 PM

Sigh. Yet another needlessly noisy BFL thread gone haywire. I guess I've been here long enough to expect this ...  Angry

Scribed. Grudgingly.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 07:37:58 PM

I am going to have a good laugh at all the little sheep that are going to be throwing their money at "Nasser G" and "Nick W" at "??address??" when BFL either disappears and/or goes bankrupt with all the sheep's money.

Hate to say it, but damn : ME TOO dude !

I am here for the entertainment, drama and the mining.

Hopefully BFL will go belly up and won't kill the latter just the fool's pockets.  Kiss

Maybe you will get that laugh, but keep in mind that the "little sheep" who threw their $ at BFL for the first singles have been mining on them for 6 months and could easily sell them for more than they paid.
At 1gh/s @ 20 watts right?

This is a completely different ballgame.  I'm an honest guy but if I suddenly found myself with several million dollars in unsecured loans I might start thinking about strategically defaulting (especially if I'm unable to deliver what I "promised" to deliver).  Do you consider BFL honest?

So far they have over-promised and under-delivered, both in terms of originally stated specs and wait times, but they have delivered nonetheless. Their initial promises can't be trusted obviously, but I don't think that amounts to outright dishonesty. They could take the money and run, but I don't think there is much reason to think that will actually happen at this point. I think they probably will deliver ASIC mining units eventually, with specs not nearly as good as they have promised (but very good nonetheless), and the wait or this will again be very very long.  
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 07:46:39 PM

I am going to have a good laugh at all the little sheep that are going to be throwing their money at "Nasser G" and "Nick W" at "??address??" when BFL either disappears and/or goes bankrupt with all the sheep's money.

Hate to say it, but damn : ME TOO dude !

I am here for the entertainment, drama and the mining.

Hopefully BFL will go belly up and won't kill the latter just the fool's pockets.  Kiss

Maybe you will get that laugh, but keep in mind that the "little sheep" who threw their $ at BFL for the first singles have been mining on them for 6 months and could easily sell them for more than they paid.
At 1gh/s @ 20 watts right?

This is a completely different ballgame.  I'm an honest guy but if I suddenly found myself with several million dollars in unsecured loans I might start thinking about strategically defaulting (especially if I'm unable to deliver what I "promised" to deliver).  Do you consider BFL honest?

So far they have over-promised and under-delivered, both in terms of originally stated specs and wait times, but they have delivered nonetheless. Their initial promises can't be trusted obviously, but I don't think that amounts to outright dishonesty. They could take the money and run, but I don't think there is much reason to think that will actually happen at this point. I think they probably will deliver ASIC mining units eventually, with specs not nearly as good as they have promised (but very good nonetheless), and the wait or this will again be very very long.  

The MiniRig is already 1Ghash above spec and 100watt below spec, so they have overdelivered here this time.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 07:47:43 PM

Well, if this is true. The CEO of BFL (or the VCs who may be able to replace him) can own the network at trifling cost and there is jack shit anyone can do about it. You deluded idiots and your precious decentralization. What a fucking joke.

Well, yes, sort of. This has always been true. Didn't have to be BFL of course, but it was obvious for a long time that owning the network was within the grasp of anyone with a decent amount of money who could get ASICs designed and manufactured.

However, as several people have pointed out already, what you need to bear in mind is that even if this is true we don't know how many THash/s worth of chips BFL would need to sell in order to reach this kind of pricing. We can guess, though, and it's not likely to be a small amount. Once you factor in that and the resulting increase in difficulty those prices will probably look rather less attractive.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 07:52:25 PM

If you're mining with 1TH/s, it would be more profitable to solo mine.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 07:53:36 PM

Sooo... by guess is we won't see these in 2012? Regardless I'm still ordering 4.

bitfoo
Donator

Activity: 289

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 08:01:10 PM

I would assume that when this becomes common-place, pools will simply start asking for higher difficulty shares.

MXRider

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 08:01:39 PM

Probably not. Remember that everyone else is also buying four or more. Terahash is not the same thing then as it is now. Terahash in 2013 = Gigahash in 2012.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 08:03:55 PM

Probably not. Remember that everyone else is also buying four or more. Terahash is not the same thing then as it is now. Terahash in 2013 = Gigahash in 2012.

Unless BFL doesn't deliver for years. We have no idea and are just assuming 6-12m here, no?

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 08:09:45 PM

Fair point about diff 1 shares probably changing to some >1 - I know CGminer supports higher difficulty.

LazyOtto

Activity: 476

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 08:10:12 PM

BFL is full of shit.  Nothing has changed within the company.  BFL saw a real company (Enterpoint) come to market with a product at the same price with double (quadruple?) the efficiency of the single.  Around the same time, some very clever bitstream developers (eldentyrell and bitfury) brought the performance of the Spartans up significantly so that even boards with 2 Spartans could get closer to what the Single offered (mh/s wise) while being much more efficient.
Just to keep statements accurate. (The lack of which, IMO, is our biggest complaint against BFL.)

1) The Enterpoint product currently costs more. And will soon cost even more more.
About 8% more until the end of June. 63% more starting in July.

2) The Enterpoint product currently *matches* the BFL single on a MH/w basis.
IIRC, the best currently being delivered is about 400mh/s at 40w using two of the four FPGAs. About 200mh/s when using all four.

In the future the Enterpoint product *might* be double with 800+ at 40 to 50w.
But that is a future / hypothetical situation. *After* that is achieved it will be legitimate to sing their praises. (While acknowledging that all the BFL competitors, at that future point in time, cost greater than 50% more at the entry point level.)

3) IIRC, the best that has been achieved on Spartans is about 250mh/s per FPGA. Two times that for 500mh/s is substantially less than the BFL Single 800+mh/s. And, again IIRC, the other bitstreams you refer to are not generally available for use.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 08:33:19 PM

Huh?! The 1TH/s is the 30,000 unit. You're telling me "everyone" is plopping $120,000 into BFL? I know the difficulty will skyrocket, but srsly? It's still gonna be on the high end of things.

MXRider

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 08:58:31 PM

I didn't mean that as an absolute truth. My assumption is that positive ROI for mining equipment will be 7-12 months. If 40Ghash is 1300$ that means the difficulty is around 60 000 000, BTC price where it is now.
So with those numbers Terahash in 2013 = 29 Gigahash right now.

I don't think terahash is enough for solo mining in 2013. You said you are going to buy four so I assumed that everyone else is also buying four. And I think you were talking about SC Singles. (1,3k$ each)

IF BFL delivers... I think they are just pre announcing and you can wait to get on a wait list. Although money is welcome right away Smiley Developing ASIC will take at least 6 months and BFL was founded last august I think. No way they have an ASIC ready this year.

But of course BFL can correct me and give us some details about their schedule. The fact that they haven't already tells enough.
Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 09:13:00 PM

Don't worry guys, I was already preparing for a situation like this, my new design will come to the rescue.

It can do 42 googol yottahashes per planck unit of time with a measly 0.3 milliwatt power usage. You'll be able to run dozens of units off your USB ports.

And the kicker? They'll be distributed for a quarter each in dispenser machines.

Joking aside - That press release is clearly FUD; such units will not be available for quite some time, barring some magical technology breakthrough and a shitload of money just landed in BFL's lap. I think everyone is safe from the ASIC boogeyman for at least 4 to 6 months from now. And I have a hunch that when the transition to ASIC will be made, it won't be that rough.
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 09:13:16 PM

I think that this announcement is some sort of pr gag to stop users from buying other fpgas then theirs .....

If they had an asic by now we would have seems that in the total hash rate?

BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 09:24:44 PM

Or Could it be that someone hacked into bfl's account and .... ?  Since there is no official announcement made on their website ..... (I know of the comment on their page to prepare for june. But there nothing more to that?)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 137 »
  Print  

Jump to: