Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:49:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [0Th]Ozcoin Pooled Mining |DGM 1%|Stratum+VarDiff port 80|NEW CN mining|  (Read 398212 times)
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:53:26 PM

I have set my donation amount to 100% to support this pool.  We cannot let honest pools like this disappear.

Let me know if I can help in any other way!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 01:54:21 PM

rupy, you're on. the coins just started to move. Tracking them for a little while might be an interesting exercise.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
iddo

Activity: 360
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:55:50 PM

I'm going to explain this like you where 5 years old:

I, my son, his children, will _personally_ track 16cDeEFn6sraUEJrDCt2Yg3r7j2oazSYEd for all eternity, no matter how many addresses the value is being sent to.

The value originating in 16cDeEFn6sraUEJrDCt2Yg3r7j2oazSYEd is for all future marked in our collective consciousness as stolen money.

Nothing else matters, I could create a service where you can store stolen addresses, but that is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

NO ONE will EVER take money from 16cDeEFn6sraUEJrDCt2Yg3r7j2oazSYEd, period.

Case closed.

Let's say for example that the thief uses localbitcoins.com and meets some innocent buyer on the street, transfers those 934 stolen BTC to a fresh address of the buyer (e.g. via smartphones), and in exchange the thief receives dollar bills from the unsuspecting buyer. What do you and your son and his children plan to do in this case?

Unfortunately, in reality the thief doesn't even have to bother that much. He can simply deposit the stolen BTC in MtGox, go through the AML verification procedure, and withdraw USD or whatever currency that he prefers. So even though MtGox will know the identity of the thief, they will not reveal it because of legal considerations, unless Graet could produce a court order (and it's highly unlikey that he could, because the thief is probably in another country, and efforts to involve Interpol for this amount of stolen money will hit a brick wall).
synapse

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:01:28 PM

I, my son, his children, will _personally_ track 16cDeEFn6sraUEJrDCt2Yg3r7j2oazSYEd for all eternity, no matter how many addresses the value is being sent to.

The value originating in 16cDeEFn6sraUEJrDCt2Yg3r7j2oazSYEd is for all future marked in our collective consciousness as stolen money.

Nothing else matters, I could create a service where you can store stolen addresses, but that is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

Case closed.

Let's say for example that the thief uses localbitcoins.com and meets some innocent buyer on the street, transfers those 934 stolen BTC to a fresh address of the buyer (e.g. via smartphones), and in exchange the thief receives dollar bills from the unsuspecting buyer. What do you and your son and his children plan to do in this case?

Unfortunately, in reality the thief doesn't even have to bother that much. He can simply deposit the stolen BTC in MtGox, go through the AML verification procedure, and withdraw USD or whatever currency that he prefers. So even though MtGox will know the identity of the thief, they will not reveal it because of legal considerations, unless Graet could produce a court order (and it's highly unlikey that he could, because the thief is probably in another country, and efforts to involve Interpol for this amount of stolen money will hit a brick wall).

So bitcoin really is for hackers, thieves and con-men.
everyone is getting screwed over left right and centre.

Part-time Computer Systems Engineering student - Full time Service Assurance (faults) for a large Telco.
amigaman

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:06:42 PM

@iddo:
The amount of almost 100k USD will certainly allow to involve law enforcements, but as you stated: if the thief is in another country, you'll have no luck. And: BTC is no legal currency, so there is no real value connected, no one will help you regain it.

@rupy
If you take the law of my country (germany), you as the receiver are responsible to check incoming money for legal problems.
It's fake, your fault. You'll lose it to the police, but nothing more.
In case of BTC, that is not a real value, so even if they see the thief they won't do nothing.
And at least in level two (stolen -> converted, converted -> used) the receiver is totally innocent.

So your "all my further children, and their children, and their grandchildren, follow this mutual adress, find him in real life, kill him and eat his liver, so you will prosper from the thanks of the great Graet" is total bullshit.
It's bad, and this dude is a total asshole, a thief, you're right.
But you can't do anything.

Assume your wallet (not wallet file, your physical wallet) stolen. Do you have the numbers of your bills noted? Even if: will someone help you get them back?
No.
As is with those btc. They're lost, get over it.
iddo

Activity: 360
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:14:25 PM

Case closed.

So bitcoin really is for hackers, thieves and con-men.
everyone is getting screwed over left right and centre.

That's unfair towards Bitcoin, in the scenario with localbitcoins.com the fault is actually with the dollar bills. I suppose that rupy and his son and his son's children could ask that unsuspecting buyer whether he remembers the serial numbers on the dollar bills that he gave to the thief, and continue to track down the thief this way. But obviously the buyer wouldn't have a clue about the serial numbers of his USD, and even if he did, tracking down the places where those dollar bills were spent is a futile exercise.
aahzmundus

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:23:18 PM

I will... If the new owner of those coins wants to sell at below market price... I will buy them.

Wave

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:25:35 PM

OZ site hacked, looks like "Toil" of somesite claiming responsability...

:-(

-Wave
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 02:25:50 PM

I will... If the new owner of those coins wants to sell at below market price... I will buy them.

Out of interest, what would your purchase price be? This is interesting because it would be a nice indicator of how much you think a bad deed should cost the perpetrator.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 02:26:40 PM

-Wave

Link? If this idiot has gone public and bragged about it, then it's only a matter of time before he's doxxed.

donut

Activity: 248
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:27:14 PM

Do you really think Mt.Gox would hide the new address, if they know (which they do) that the old contained stolen coins?

AFAIK there is NO WAY to "mix" your coins. It's all in the blockchain.

A mixing service works like this:

Thief sends BTC from address A that he owns to address Y of the mixing service. The mixing service sends him back the BTC less x% from address Z of the mixing service to address B that the thief owns.

That's it.

A and B are not connected in any way.
wknight
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 02:57:07 PM

Just a quick update from OZCOIN.

Graet needed to step away about 5 minutes ago as OZCOIN was hacked. Currently the www/db server is shut down due to defacing of the pool.

No ETA has been given. I know Graet it pretty upset over this. I was asked to post this to give everyone an update.

My suggestion is to move your miners to a new pool at this time.

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:58:44 PM

damn this is badnews... thanks for the update. all the luck
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:01:00 PM

This is interesting: I just realized, the theif can't spend this money for ANYTHING at ANY point in time!

That address will be tracked by a hundred people for all future, I'm writing a system for this NOW.

Basically, he has BTC but as soon as he spends them, he will get caught!

Edit: Can someone point me to threads about this fact OR prove me wrong!

YOU CANNOT STEAL BITCOINS!

Rupy come on, you've been here since 2011 and you don't know about PPS or how stolen coins can't be tracked? All the thief has to do is collect the coins, use a mixing service or even an exchange and they'll never be tracked again.

I wonder if the developers are making any headway into blacklisting addresses or would that defeat the anonymity of BTC?
As per discussions that have been around (and I've been part of some) black listing addresses is not an option.
The problem is simply that someone is then given the power to decide what addresses are black listed.
Who should be given power to control BTC? No one.
It's even worse when you consider what it means for the average person.
If I have 10BTC stolen can I then go to this 'power' and ask them to blacklist the target address?
Of course not - since we then have the issue of who is right and who is wrong - that again someone will be given the power to decide.
So basically it becomes a power to be used either for those with a lot of BTC and well known, or those who are also considered 'powerful' in the BTC world.
It's called give central control of BTC to a few people - which is of course a very bad thing.

Sorry Kano it was late and night and I couldn't type up a storm without waking up the wife/kids.

What I meant to say or ask was 2 things:
-could an address be added to a central repository (yes, centralization) that could track illegal activity?  You might be able to answer this since - can we track the IP of where the coins are received assuming they're downloaded into a wallet?  I know the coins don't literally exist in the wallet, the wallet is just a bunch of keys that unlock the transactions in the blockchain (or at least as I understand it).  But since the blockchain shows a lot of information such a coin origination and propagation, does it also show if a wallet was being used to receive the coins?
-I know one of the key features of BTC is it's lack of centralization.  No overt governing authority making rules.  But that does not preclude people with a will and conviction to enforce ethical behavior.  Just because there is no law preventing one from doing something bad doesn't mean it should be done.  Just because there is no central Bitcoin police does not mean a group of moral people with skills can't come together to go after thieves and crooks.  Nobody will defend this thief's actions unless it was reveled that OzCoin funded Osama Bin Laden or something insane like that.  Every small squabble shouldn't have to be chased down for lack of due diligence on one's part, but blatant theft in the can't be condoned by saying "oh well, I guess it's our fault for not securing it enough".  Might as blame me for not putting land mines outside my windows when the thief breaks into my house.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 03:03:45 PM

Graet needed to step away about 5 minutes ago as OZCOIN was hacked. Currently the www/db server is shut down due to defacing of the pool.

No ETA has been given. I know Graet it pretty upset over this. I was asked to post this to give everyone an update.

Stealing isn't enough, vandalism too? I think I just pegged this cretin's mental age to 15. Maybe. I hope he celebrates by losing his virginity to a hooker and in the excitement forgets to wear a condom, and then freaks out for months thinking he's going to die of a venereal disease.

amigaman

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:08:45 PM

@DrG:
Every member in the network downloads the whole blockchain.
Wallet.dat contains keys, these keys unlock certain data in the downloaded data files, called the blockchain.
So, no, you can't get any ip where the coins show up.

Also:
My miners still submit to oz. Website seems offline from here, but mining servers seem running. Or am i at risk they mine for someone else???
I'd hate to drive there and redirect them on a friday evening, but if it's necessary.... I hate to lose my small incomes to an asshole more than driving.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 03:18:42 PM

[...]
Also:
My miners still submit to oz. Website seems offline from here, but mining servers seem running. Or am i at risk they mine for someone else???
I'd hate to drive there and redirect them on a friday evening, but if it's necessary.... I hate to lose my small incomes to an asshole more than driving.

Website is down due to vandalism, see wknights post:

Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:26:25 PM

-Wave

Could you please provide more detailed information? There are some of us that are capable of doing something about this.
amigaman

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:29:14 PM

@organofcorti
Yeah, i have seen that.
But website and minig machines had connection problems over the last days, so mining was ok, monitoring it was not.
Now the site is hacked/defaced/vandalized/whatevs, but what is with mining machines?
Do they work as they should, and all will resolve when website machines are back up, or is there a chance that idiot (not Graet) changed mining software and we all work into his pocket?
I bet the few people listening to this thread are only a few percent of oz users, most will not see any changes, just because they don't check the website often.

If there is a risk, someone should take the mining servers offline, just like mtred did. So there is no risk anyone loses faith/money/work, and as soon as all is up again, workers will resume to this pool.
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:31:09 PM

does not hurt to ask but, is graet email and forum account safe?
Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 »
  Print  

Jump to: