Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:18:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... 165 »
  Print  
Author Topic: (JWL) JEWELS 🔷 HEROES LAUNCHED 🔷 1ST JWL USE CASE 🔷 TRADING ON BITTREX  (Read 212605 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Pro4Never

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2016, 08:39:04 PM

It is a very nice op, one of the best I've seen for an ico project in a while.

Hey Chris. Is Hero's almost ready for its official launch?

Think they said it'll be launched on the 1st. I took the 2nd off of work so I can play for an extended weekend and grind it out. That's the plan anyways Grin, Today I sent in 3 BTC I've done my part by messaging a few friends I know about this project, I expect they'll start chipping in soon as well Smiley

So the Heroes will be released in time for the finish of the ICO? That is nice timing and i like the time keeping of Chris, not many developers manage to keep to that what has been scheduled so thumbs up to Chris. 3BTC is slightly more than the skin I have in the game. I am on the fence whether to throw another couple at it.

The heroes full launch wont be on the 1st but we are still close to our original timeline. Unfortunately our other developer has had some serious health issues and has temporarily dropped out of the project. That has set our timetable back by a significant amount. We are still aiming to launch within the first week of September but are giving ourselves a bit of wiggle room with the stance of launching "within the first half of the month".

Here's a quick update on what I've been working on this past week.

Apex

-Windows 10 Aniv Edition support added. The new update changes a number of core system DLLs that we use in our client protection so we had to make changes to accommodate that.
-HWID banning to deal with those who use proxies/VPNs to access the game. This allows for proper permanent ban of abusive members.
-New premium weapon skin added
-Monthly ranked duel leaderboard added with rewards for top 10 ranks.
-Added spring cleaning function for guild leaders. This allows to remove all members who have not been active for 6 months. Sorting through 150+ members manually was a hassle so we wanted a quick tool for them.

Heroes

-Wrote a new autopatch server to handle distributing updates for multiple games off of the same host.
-Started populating a Conquer Heroes wiki to document server systems.
-Added a in-game patchnotes system to inform players of major changes (more info later in post)
-Added referral system so players can invite their friends (more info later in post)
-Re-built the client installer to include a large number of tweaks and assets for future content (avoids distributing large client patches later on)
-Added ~50 new weapon accessories
-Cleaned up tournament logic, added a number of new tournaments and wars (more info later in post)
-Cleaned up quest logic and guides to avoid player confusion (more info later in post)

Some of this has been mentioned previously in the thread but we've added a series of different PK tournaments that run either weekly or monthly to add variety and a unique activity for players to look forward to on nearly every day of the week. Unlike Wars which are skill based (gear and level does not matter), tournaments rely heavily on your characters equipment. These tournaments primarily are for bragging rights although they also provide some significant rewards for winning.

-Class PK Tournament

Players are broken into level groups and fight only members of their own profession. Winners get titles, halos, experience and some other rewards

-Weekly and Monthly PK Tournament

Players are broken into level groups and fight until only one player remains. Winner gets titles, halos, experience, VIP time and some other rewards.

-Clan War

Runs daily and allows clans to fight for control of each major city (except for the starting city). By holding the city's pole at the end of the event, you claim ownership until the next war. During that time your clan (up to 12 members) will gain bonus droprates on that map when hunting monsters. You will also receive some small rewards for the victory itself but if you manage to hold the same city for 7 days in a row you will receive a much larger prize.

In-Game Patchnotes

So we all know that not everyone will read patchnotes but we want to make sure players have every opportunity to know about changes to the game without bombarding them with system messages or alerts. By taking advantage of our HWID system (each physical device has its own key generated) we check on player login to check if their computer has been informed about the latest website article. If not then it displays it using an in-game browser and then will not show that same note to any accounts logged in from that same computer.

This is nothing that complicated but it will definitely help players become more familiar with the game's updates without forcing them to sit through pop-up after pop-up every time they want to log into the game, even if they are using a different character.

Referral System

We're starting pretty basic with the referral system although we have a number of planned improvements for it. Right now we're focusing on making sure the base system functions as it should and that the rewards are distributed in a fair manner.

Users will be able to distribute referral links to the game referencing their character name.

EG: ConquerHeroes.com/register?r=pro4never

When a user registers using one of these links and creates a character, the server will check if their HWID has been used for a referral in the past and if all validity checks pass then the two accounts are 'linked'. For now this means that when the referred player reaches level 100, both them and the player that referred them will receive a random, non-tradable 7 day garment. This is so that even if someone does bypass the HWID system to generate fake computer IDs, the rewards cannot be traded/sold to others and are purely cosmetic in nature.

We will also be adding an account control panel option for players to customize their referral link. These options will make it so that when someone makes a character using your referral link, they will immediately become in-game friends with you! This is of course optional and turned off by default to avoid abuse but is a great way for groups of friends to connect and play the game together.

To clarify: The referral options would be validated server side. We're well aware that there's plenty of trolls out there that would try to abuse a system like that to spam you with friend requests. Referral links including auto-friend or auto-guild invites will be single use and must be generated by the referrer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RoseMann

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 08:59:00 PM

Almost 70 Bitcoins now. I think this is when most people will start investing.

This will hopefully be the start of a rush and the team can reach their target.
I never really give a shit but for once I want a legit project to have a good chance while be surrounded by so much shitty projects and clear fucking scams.
Come on lets smash this bad boy out the park!
 I have another 0.5btc I am going to put in later taking me up to 1.3btc. I don't have much but I am not missing out.

I can feel the rush for sure but yeah I have no idea how like so many shit ICO's that have nothing to show, zero credability and that sort of nonsense have no problem raising 100, 200, or even more btc. It's sort of depressing... but it's ok I feel the rush coming! 2 days left!

The great thing is regardless where this goes now we will either have fast development or cheap coins.

The question is what would you prefer? A sell out and raising the cost of the coin but giving faster development or under target giving us all cheap coins with slower development?

I'd prefer that it raises the amount they're asking for or more. I'd really like to see where Rebirth goes in terms of game play dynamic and what it has to offer as I may consider playing it myself if it had cantering towards casual players who don't have much time but enjoy playing these sorts of games. The other thing is sooner Rebirth is in production the sooner we'll see better coverage of it in the media Wink

cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:17:02 PM

there is escrow or not?

Why would you use a escrow who may be anonymous and not just trust the dev who is upfront with his identity. Rhetorical question. The answer to you is, no escrow. Either trust the dev or don't.

Well, maybe use one of the escrows others have used for 1000's of BTC projects before on here who's identity is known?

That is not a rhetorical question.

Menereron

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:22:26 PM

there is escrow or not?

Why would you use a escrow who may be anonymous and not just trust the dev who is upfront with his identity. Rhetorical question. The answer to you is, no escrow. Either trust the dev or don't.

Well, maybe use one of the escrows others have used for 1000's of BTC projects before on here who's identity is known?

I don't understand the use of the inherent safety people feel when using escrows. It makes no difference unless the escrow is done with a series of goals or benchmarks. For example, complete the following and then X number of bitcoins more are released so you can complete the next goal. Take a project like Waves for example which raised like 30k BTC. All they had to do was launch the network, which they did using an unmodified Scorex Framework which is stated by it's own developer is not meant to be used in a production environment but rather simply for testing. Regardless, because they were able to launch the network, here you go Waves team enjoy your 30k BTC to do whatever the fuck you want with it.

How did that provide any security for the investors? So when people ask "is there an escrow" all I can think is if that's the full length of your question then...  Roll Eyes
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:25:18 PM

there is escrow or not?

I don't understand the use of the inherent safety people feel when using escrows. It makes no difference unless the escrow is done with a series of goals or benchmarks. For example, complete the following and then X number of bitcoins more are released so you can complete the next goal. Take a project like Waves for example which raised like 30k BTC. All they had to do was launch the network, which they did using an unmodified Scorex Framework which is stated by it's own developer is not meant to be used in a production environment but rather simply for testing. Regardless, because they were able to launch the network, here you go Waves team enjoy your 30k BTC to do whatever the fuck you want with it.

How did that provide any security for the investors? So when people ask "is there an escrow" all I can think is if that's the full length of your question then...  Roll Eyes

You are correct. There should be milestones for release of funds especially in 1000BTC +projects.

However, I guess even a release of a coin is better than nothing. Many devs dont release anything and just run with the funds.

xlilbearx

Activity: 237

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:28:38 PM

I think there should be escrow for all ICOs.
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:36:06 PM

there is escrow or not?

How did that provide any security for the investors? So when people ask "is there an escrow" all I can think is if that's the full length of your question then...  Roll Eyes

You are correct. There should be milestones for release of funds especially in 1000BTC +projects.

However, I guess even a release of a coin is better than nothing. Many devs dont release anything and just run with the funds.

You shouldn't make yourself look stupid and put this in any kind of shitty category your attempting too. If that is what you think, would you like a wager? I will bet you what I have invested here that they don't run with no funds. You know why I am sure? Because I spend hours researching and maybe you should before you post. Anyway find an escrow and I have 2btc to have a friendly wager with you if you like. and you lilbear, infact anyone that cries escrow when they don't have a dime to their name or invested shit. gtfo lol

I understand your frustration but give them a break. They don't want to bet, they just want to up their post count and show us all their pweety signatures. Thanks for looking out for us fellas but we are all grown boys here and we all know how to due diligence and we all feel safe investing in Chris. Check it all out and maybe you won't miss out Wink
Gutembergin

Activity: 176

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 10:00:31 PM

Yeah most ico's need some escrow but when you have an ico like this is the dev is trusted like Chris then there is no need for the escrow.
brianlee01

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 10:40:55 PM

Yeah most ico's need some escrow but when you have an ico like this is the dev is trusted like Chris then there is no need for the escrow.

Escrows for ico's does nothing but stop the most amateur of amateur. And dev worth have his weight in salt will be able to create a blockchain and wallet to get past any escrow. All an escrow will do is save you from the shittiest of devs and if you fall for one of those scammers you almost deserve to lose your money for being so stupid.
JewelsProject (OP)

Activity: 196

Official Jewels Dev Account.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2016, 10:57:50 PM

We're now up to 70 BTC with 48 hours to go. Just to post this here, our development updates are also mirrored over on Steem (with better formatting) and you can find it here - https://steemit.com/jewelscoin/@pro4never/development-update-29-8-2016

Check us out @pro4never on Steem for more updates or @JewelsCoin on Twitter.

ACAB

Activity: 636
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 11:04:54 PM

We're now up to 70 BTC with 48 hours to go. Just to post this here, our development updates are also mirrored over on Steem (with better formatting) and you can find it here - https://steemit.com/jewelscoin/@pro4never/development-update-29-8-2016

Check us out @pro4never on Steem for more updates or @JewelsCoin on Twitter.

What will happen if the goal is not reached?
dukeneptun
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 11:13:32 PM

Coin Information
Total Coins - 20 Million
Algorithm - POS v3
Reward - 0.5 JWL per block
Maturity - 4 Hours
Block Time - 1 Minute
Dev Fund - 1,000,000 JWL
Payapl Reserve Fund - 1,000,000 JWL

Regularly throughout each day, funds invested through user addresses will be sent to the following address and remain there until the end of the crowdfunding: 1MobH7Ugp1aXjiq3dRG8U31F3pBumWb4Q9

For an accurate number of how many has been raised, see the ICO page above.

The sale will end on September 1st, 12:00am UTC (GMT 0:00)

We have a minimum goal of 200 BTC ($120,000.00 USD). It should be noted that we are also seeking means of investment capital outside of Bitcoin Talk as well as negotiating private deals. Discussions regarding private deals and partnerships which will not affect the Jewels ICO or distribution. Strictly speaking, we are looking to have a starting capital of $120,000 or more which will come from the ICO as well as outside investors. If at the end even after factoring in outside investments we have a budget less than $120,000 USD we will first seek to establish a new roadmap for development based on the available budget. Once we know this, we will then publish this information publicly and allow those who invested to vote weighted by their investment on whether we should proceed. If the majority votes "no" implying that they wish to be refunded then Jewels project will not proceed and we will begin the process of issuing a refund of all BTC. On the contrary, if the majority votes "yes" implying they wish to proceed despite the change in timeline which likely implies delayed schedules we will continue distribution and proceed with Jewels as intended.

Investments will show up on your wallet page after 3 confirmations!

Jewels Introduction
Jewels (“JWL”) is a virtual currency that will be used throughout the “Pro4Never Network” as it grows. It’s primary value will stem from bitcoin backing and US Dollars.  We would like to stress Jewels will be usable throughout several games that we are developing. Currently, it’s primary use case will be in that of “Apex Conquer” a game that has been created by Pro4Never.

Jewels in “Apex Conquer” have a few use cases such as:
  • Gambling with Jewels vs House
    • Slots, Dice, Blackjack, etc.
  • In game p2p gambling
  • Used to purchase products in game
    • Items
    • Content
    • Features
    • Visual Cosmetics (designs, customization, etc)
    • Tradable for in game currency (p2p trading)

Jewels can be purchased (after the ICO) through two means via bitcoin on the exchanges or through Paypal (See “Paypal Jewels & Maturity”). Since there is a use-case for Jewels in Apex, there will always be a demand hence the market will always have some form of liquidity backing it as users seek to acquire Jewels to use in game. However, there will be other use cases for Jewels in the near future (see “Development”) and because of this we expect the demand for Jewels to increase in time while the supply remains fairly consistent.

Paypal Jewels & Maturity
There will be a reserved amount of Jewels to be sold via Paypal as this is the most common means of purchase that players are most familiar with. The price of Jewels in USD will be derived from the two markets JWL/USD = JWL/BTC * BTC/USD.

Paypal will be used as a proxy for purchasing Jewels off the market. As the reserve of Jewels for paypal purchases depletes funds received via Paypal will be used to purchase bitcoin used to purchase Jewels from the exchanges thereby adding liquidity to the market.

When Paypal is used to buy Jewels, the Jewels will be added to the user’s account on-site and ingame, however these Jewels will be considered “immature” meaning they cannot be traded or withdrawn from the site for 45 days, however can be used in-game (Apex) to purchase items usable on your character. If immature Jewels are used to purchase in-game (Apex) items, the items will be bound to your character and non-tradable without paying a fee unbind them.

The reason for this maturity system is due to the fact money can be refunded on Paypal thus leaving us open to “giving away free money.” As your account builds a more accredited history with the “Pro4Never Network” the duration on Paypal Jewels maturity will be decreased to more lenient values.

Any Jewels purchased via bitcoin are always considered mature since bitcoin and blockchain transactions are irreversible.

Who is Pro4Never?

Hello, I’m Pro4Never (Chris Cook). I’m the owner and lead programmer behind Apex Conquer. I’ve been involved in the game server community for over a decade with my primary focus having been on implementing the best possible content for my players and setting my projects apart through professional player support, consistent releases of new content, updates and bug fixes.

The Pro4Never tag has stuck with me throughout my programming projects, as a gamer tag and as a livestream I hosted for over a year. In the gaming community Apex Conquer one of my projects which has acquired a strong reputation built on reliability and my interest in making sure that the content we release is stuff never before seen in similar games. I also have a long history of moderating on the ElitePVPers website, one of the largest independent gaming forums with over 6 million members.

In the past I’ve released a number of open source game servers, done freelance programming work for other developers and done many years of tech support for various clients. The past year and a half I’ve spent developing and maintaining Apex Conquer. I’ve been able to turn the project into my full time job as well as growing the scope of the project to include 3 different server projects. Later this summer we plan to launch our biggest server yet which is where this Jewels project will be best utilized.

What is Apex Conquer?

Apex Conquer is a game based off a Chinese Fantasy Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (“MMORPG”) and is entirely free to play (“F2P”). It is an old-school styled game similar to that of Diablo 2 is its visuals, themes and game play feel. The game is focused on player vs. player interaction where players compete via combat to prove who is the best in game as well as improve their characters as they progress further in terms of leveling up and increasing the strengths and defenses of said characters. As this is a player vs. player driven game, items can be achieved through the interaction of killing other players in game (“PKing”).

Apex has successfully been online and running for 18 months while maintaining a healthy profit margin providing a steady income for "Pro4Never" while also being able to cover server costs, maintenance fees, etc. It has over 60,000 lines of code just in its game server code alone; 50,000 registered users and sees nearly 2,000 unique players online each day with about 300-600 players on at any given point in time of the day. The game has successfully demonstrated player retention as many who play tend to play for very long periods times as well they eventually spend money on the game.

There are four classes to choose from depending on your playstyle and over a dozen unique in game player vs player events. The player based is very familiar and accepting of random-number-generated based games. That is luck based games such as slots, raffle draws, etc. which shows promise for a large overlap in the bitcoin world of provably fair gambling.

Why Funds Are Being Raised / Project Rebirth Development

This can be summarized into one simple word: Expansion. The “Pro4Never Network” has been constantly expanding over the last few years. What started with “Redux” has now been broken down into two servers “Apex” and “Triumph” (EU) and soon a new server based off the same game with far more content will be released (“Heroes”) in the upcoming month. Having all these different products is difficult to maintain as one person, but is still possible.

Project Rebirth will be an entirely new game built from ground up which makes it evidently clear that "Pro4never" will need to assemble a team of skilled individuals to create this new game from scratch. While Project Rebirth may be similar in style of game to Apex, it is a completely new game built from ground up and is not a content expansion like “Heroes” is to “Apex” meaning that everything needs to be rewritten. Pro4Never has already shown expertise in the field of game creation and marketing hence Project Rebirth was an inevitable goal.

The most difficult part to developing any game is having a robust client allowing the game to give birth to a beautiful surreal world where a player can become immersed in it. To make this happen Pro4Never will need to put together and fund to build a team. While one individual is not restricted to doing one job, the requirements of this are immense as it requires Unity asset and game developers, web developers, web designers, server administration and as you can see the list goes on. Therefore, this is where a portion of the funds will be spent (on project development).

After the product has been developed, and in-house tested, the next step is public-beta testing.  This is very common in the gaming industry, however it requires hype and awareness about the game being released which brings us to our next important expenditure: advertisement and public relations. Many games such as Blade & Soul, Guild Wars 2 are created with the inherent expectation that many players will (always) be on in specific areas, even at the start of the game. Being able to rely on this gives rise to creating an immersive experience of quests, battles, etc. where you work together with surrounding players making the environment feel more alive rather than needing to explicitly form parties and find teammates. The expectation of players always being around you in main areas allows for a dynamic of events which makes the world feel more real and less repetitive giving birth to an enjoyable player versus environment experience (something that most games lack).

Key points of fund usage: Expansion, advertisement, development, assets/art, web development (gambling, website changes, etc), client development, server development, various tools to simply work (i.e. map editor and other client development tools)

The Numbers
Here are some bullet point metrics about the current game and servers which may give you a grasp on how things are at the financial level
  • The average user is on 1-3 accounts at the same time (doing various tasks)
  • On average 1 in 20 accounts will spend atleast $4.00 (est. 1 in 6 players).
  • Those who’ve paid for things, average out to $80.00 an account (over a year and a half)
  • The most common amount a user will spend is about $25.00 at once
  • At peak revenue, the gross was 8,000.00 - 12,000.00 USD/mo.
  • 250 - 600 players on at any given time
  • Around 2000 unique accounts accessed via logging in each day
  • The new server “Heroes” is expected to increase player count due to its appeal with new content and can therefore be better monetized via Jewels

The game has since shrunk since its peak due to limited scope of availability of the current project "Apex". There is not enough content for players who are “finished” their characters and the more content that is added puts a wider gap between a new player and old players. The new server “Heroes” will launch with a much larger variety of content such as new classes, weapons quests, events and tournaments and many other things that players will be able to spend money on as well as giving old players the chance to start anew. Please see the road map below for more details.

Road Map
Since there are various projects going on, we’ve broken down the road map into sections related to specific projects / tasks.

• July 2016
    • Jewels
      • Crowdfunding Starts
    • Apex
      • Integration of Jewels (as a currency)
      • Apex’s design is finalized
  • August 2016
    • Jewels
      • Crowdfunding Ends
      • Paypal Processor
      • Standalone (Web) Jewels Gambling Development
    • Apex
      • Integration of Jewels Gambling Games
      • Dice, Slots, etc.
    • Heroes
      • Release of new server “Heroes”
      • Content expansion from “Apex” (Jewels integrated on Release) - New classes, quests, etc.
  • Fall 2016 (Q4)    
    • Project Rebirth
      • Prototype Development
      • Initial Concept Paper Released
      • PR / Discussion / vLogs on Rebirth
      • Begin reviewing resume submissions
  • Winter 2017 (Q1)
    • Project Rebirth
      • Official project development starts

Promotional Material

Beyond Bitcoin Radio Show (8/26/2016)

Team Speak: conqueronline.info
Forum: www.apexconquer.com/forum

Your thoughts, ideas and feedback will greatly contribute to the success of our newly launching server Heroes and the concept development of Project Rebirth.
Thank you.

Gaming and Crypto together with real use cases. You got my support and investment coming soon. GL
JewelsProject (OP)

Activity: 196

Official Jewels Dev Account.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2016, 11:30:09 PM

Updated opening post to contain a link to our Steem account for which updates for Apex, Heroes and Rebirth and other associated projects will be posted to.

LegendaryGamer

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 12:08:42 AM

What are the chances that Chris makes a game as popular as LoL? Any pro gamers here care to share your wisdom.
What are the chances that Chris builds a semi decent game that gets some world wide use.
what are the chances that Chris belllyflops and makes the worst game ever.

Id like some realistic possible predictions if anyone has some.

1. If we're being realistic, unlikely. Making a S tier game is EXTREMELY hard to do. Look at a new release like Black Desert or Blade and Soul which in themselves are outstanding games, however they're no where close to the hype of a game like League of Legends or World of Warcraft (in its prime). League of Legends is also a bad example to compare to for the record because RTS games don't require time commitment to progress as in your character doesn't get stronger, but rather you get better at the game. A challenger LoL player could probably take a break for a year and after relearning some of the changes still be able to hold their challenger level game play... in other words they don't get left behind by new content added such as quests, gears, etc like an MMO.

2 / 3. If Chris is a competent developer and can put together a good team, this is very likely. Even if he puts together a fairly mediocre game but can muster an audience of about lets say 1k unique... not on multiple accounts constantly his game will probably make some decent money which would be really good for Jewels. All in all given what I've seen from Apex and what I researched on epvp Chris has been programming for quite some time and has even written guides. This demonstrates to me leadership qualities and I think he'll be able to manage a team quite well. All in all it comes down to the teammates he chooses for his project.

tl;dr I believe in Chris to make a decent game to say the least
LegendaryGamer

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 12:17:35 AM

What are the chances that Chris makes a game as popular as LoL? Any pro gamers here care to share your wisdom.
What are the chances that Chris builds a semi decent game that gets some world wide use.

The next league style mmo can be around the corner and this dev could be the one to do it. Of course he probably is not but dont forget that there is lots of room for many new games and for that om sure this dev will do good and make lots of profit.

Just to give people a visual perception of games, if Chris some how makes a S-Tier MMO that can some how also have an established competitive scene, well.... this is what it looks like for League of Legends and this ain't even a world final it's just the NA finals.... plus this picture was taken before the NA finals event started the crowd got bigger after EU finals finished, draw your own conclusions Smiley

https://i.imgur.com/CI1t7gi.jpg
LegendaryGamer

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 12:26:30 AM

The next league style mmo can be around the corner and this dev could be the one to do it. Of course he probably is not but dont forget that there is lots of room for many new games and for that om sure this dev will do good and make lots of profit.

Just to give people a visual perception of games, if Chris some how makes a S-Tier MMO that can some how also have an established competitive scene, well.... this is what it looks like for League of Legends and this ain't even a world final it's just the NA finals.... plus this picture was taken before the NA finals event started the crowd got bigger after EU finals finished, draw your own conclusions Smiley

https://i.imgur.com/CI1t7gi.jpg

How much did each of those people pay to get there?  Shocked

$30-$60 each, do the math. There's a lot of money in gaming I think this should be obvious to anyone who's taken even a slight look into it.
Pro4Never

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2016, 12:41:27 AM

How much did each of those people pay to get there?  Shocked

The comparison isn't really fair though. Riot has thousands of employees and billions of dollars in investor money (and profits). Their esports cost them money but they treat it as a way to advertise the game and build longevity to the brand.

That being said their world championships are always impressive. I know in 2014 they sold out a 45,000 seat auditorium for the finals in Korea and in 2015 there was a viewership of 35 million people.

I'm well aware that people always have the mentality of the "next world of warcraft" or the "next league of legends" but such comparisons are neither realistic nor are they particularity helpful. A better example or goal would be Path of Exile. They are a team of developers who got impatient waiting for a 'real' diablo game (they hated diablo 3 and felt it was too focused on casual gamers) so they started their own company and built the game from the ground up. Their game is very much targeted at niche groups (it's VERY unforgiving to new players and requires a lot of math and theory crafting to be successful) but because they have stuck so closely to their initial goals and done such a great job at building their community, their game is worth many millions of dollars now.

The core idea is very much the same idea as project rebirth. We are developers who truly and un-ironically enjoyed conquer online but feel that the company that owns the IP has managed it in a horrible way and that the core game mechanics can be pushed so much further. We've done a lot with apex and will do even more with heroes to push the game mechanics in new and exciting directions but rebirth is very much the same driving concept as Path of Exile had in regards to Diablo. Take what you like about the genre and do it really, really well. Don't try to make a billion dollar game, try to make something that tens or hundreds of thousands of players will desperately want.

Here is a great couple articles about their approach.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/28/5451410/how-is-ethical-free-to-play-path-of-exile-faring
http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/10/path-of-exile-crowdfunding/
LegendaryGamer

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 12:47:32 AM

The comparison isn't really fair though. Riot has thousands of employees and billions of dollars in investor money (and profits). Their esports cost them money but they treat it as a way to advertise the game and build longevity to the brand.

That being said their world championships are always impressive. I know in 2014 they sold out a 45,000 seat auditorium for the finals in Korea and in 2015 there was a viewership of 35 million people.

I'm well aware that people always have the mentality of the "next world of warcraft" or the "next league of legends" but such comparisons are neither realistic nor are they particularity helpful. A better example or goal would be Path of Exile. They are a team of developers who got impatient waiting for a 'real' diablo game (they hated diablo 3 and felt it was too focused on casual gamers) so they started their own company and built the game from the ground up. Their game is very much targeted at niche groups (it's VERY unforgiving to new players and requires a lot of math and theory crafting to be successful) but because they have stuck so closely to their initial goals and done such a great job at building their community, their game is worth many millions of dollars now.

The core idea is very much the same idea as project rebirth. We are developers who truly and un-ironically enjoyed conquer online but feel that the company that owns the IP has managed it in a horrible way and that the core game mechanics can be pushed so much further. We've done a lot with apex and will do even more with heroes to push the game mechanics in new and exciting directions but rebirth is very much the same driving concept as Path of Exile had in regards to Diablo. Take what you like about the genre and do it really, really well. Don't try to make a billion dollar game, try to make something that tens or hundreds of thousands of players will desperately want.

Honestly, this is such a great comparison as I've played both diablo 2, 3, and PoE and would say yeah these are realistic goals that this project should have going forward. The fact that you beat me to making this comparison tbh disappointed I didn't think of it first only convinces me further in your ability to understand the key elements of game design and how to caterer towards your audience. After all this last quote here is probably something I'd like to highligh
Don't try to make a billion dollar game, try to make something that tens or hundreds of thousands of players will desperately want.

LoL appealed to the fans of Dota and this way way before Dota 2 was even known to be in the works. I doubt anyone working at Riot or designing LoL at the time knew how big it would be. They only had one goal in mind - make something fun that they knew this group of people would enjoy. Well said man.
Pro4Never

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2016, 12:53:21 AM

Honestly, this is such a great comparison as I've played both diablo 2, 3, and PoE and would say yeah these are realistic goals that this project should have going forward. The fact that you beat me to making this comparison tbh disappointed I didn't think of it first only convinces me further in your ability to understand the key elements of game design and how to caterer towards your audience. After all this last quote here is probably something I'd like to highligh
Don't try to make a billion dollar game, try to make something that tens or hundreds of thousands of players will desperately want.

LoL appealed to the fans of Dota and this way way before Dota 2 was even known to be in the works. I doubt anyone working at Riot or designing LoL at the time knew how big it would be. They only had one goal in mind - make something fun that they knew this group of people would enjoy. Well said man.

Ooh for sure, riot had a similar beginning many years ago and was developed by the original creators of the warcraft mod. I think my distinction though became trying to use the mass market appeal league has as a target for development. It's moved so far from it's origins that it just seems like a bad example to me.
RoseMann

Activity: 270

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 01:05:50 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 01:17:37 AM by RoseMann

How much did each of those people pay to get there?  Shocked

Ooh for sure, riot had a similar beginning many years ago and was developed by the original creators of the warcraft mod. I think my distinction though became trying to use the mass market appeal league has as a target for development. It's moved so far from it's origins that it just seems like a bad example to me.

I think after this small exchange of thoughts here I'm even more confident in Chris's ability to lead this project to success. Keep it up you're doing a great job so far!

Pages: « 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... 165 »
  Print  

Jump to: