Bitcoin Forum
November 13, 2018, 11:45:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.17.0 [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain Announces the Antminer R4 and APW5 Power Supply, Designed for Silence  (Read 68710 times)
jstew

Activity: 458
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 06:31:30 PM

yup looks like my hosting customers r not ordering either , at 1k they would have bought but at 1400$ + shipping it makes more sense to buy the s9 which is 4.3th faster for only 200$ more

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anduck
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1006

quack

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 06:31:51 PM

This deal looks like buyers would earn better by just buying the bitcoins rather than investing in this.. But who knows. I just don't see this is worth it as there are all kinds of risks involved in addition to the question if this even ever ROIs.

jstew

Activity: 458

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 06:36:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAiI_Vbt5V8    Roll Eyes
zOU

Activity: 714

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 06:37:18 PM

Well obviously Bitmain takes the 'silence is golden" saying to the letter.

at this price the 'silent" fan must be made of gold Cheesy

DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1001

Crypto-Games.net: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 06:40:35 PM

Its funny, they claim that this is for the home miners, who coincidentally were the ones who footed the bill for the original S1 units they made and bought them in drones so that Bitmain could grow, only to release better products to try and swindle those home miners again.

Shame on you Bitmain.  Without home miners you may not have ever gotten off the ground, and now you pull this crap with absurdly high prices.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
▀██████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████
BTC  ◉PLAY  ◉XMR  ◉DOGE  ◉STRAT  ◉ETH  ◉GRC  ◉LTC  ◉DASH  ◉PPC
     ▄▄██████████████▄▄
  ▄██████████████████████▄        █████
▄██████████████████████████▄      █████
████ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ████     ▄██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ▄██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ██
████ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ████ ▄██████▄
████████████████████████████ ████████
███████▀            ▀███████ ▀██████▀
█████▀                ▀█████
▀██████████████████████████▀
  ▀▀████████████████████▀▀ 
DICE           
BLACKJACK
PLINKO       
VIDEO POKER
ROULETTE     
LOTTO             
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 06:52:11 PM

Its funny, they claim that this is for the home miners, who coincidentally were the ones who footed the bill for the original S1 units they made and bought them in drones so that Bitmain could grow, only to release better products to try and swindle those home miners again.

Shame on you Bitmain.  Without home miners you may not have ever gotten off the ground, and now you pull this crap with absurdly high prices.

exactly !!!! .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1375

Avalon 841 rocks

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 07:56:12 PM

The price is fine if it had a real warranty.  but sadly an item that won't break even for about 400 days and how long is the warranty?

Oh I now have a second dead miner board.  so 6 units 18 board 2 dead boards.

I still like the gear .
I like that they sell gear.

The price is not the issue the warranty is a real problem.

Unfortunately without real warranty protection these are almost certain to be losing items.

I mine alt coins with https://simplemining.net...
I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 08:08:09 PM

Grin Grin Grin
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1022

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 08:12:49 PM

Charging almost identical price for this unit vs. the S9 is a non-starter.

I was THINKING about buying some as the smaller power requirement would have made it a LOT more flexable than the S9, but DAMN they are massively overcharging for this thing.

The "silent fan" is NOT worth getting less than 70% of the mining capability FOR PRETTY MUCH THE SAME DAMNED PRICE as the S9.

At the "testing page" price of $1000 it would have been a good seller, at the actual TOTAL BLOODY RIPOFF price it's not likely to sell squat.

Looks like I'm back to "waiting for developments" mode, THIS thing isn't worth wasting money on at the current pricing OR EVEN CLOSE TO THE CURRENT PRICING.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
azmojo

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 08:26:08 PM

Shipping is included.

That is not true.  It specifically says that shipping is not included and you have to add the item to your cart and go to check out to get actual shipping costs.
Did you buy one? Because I checked out, selected UPS, and paid and received confirmation and I paid $0 in shipping.

▄▄
     ▄███
    █████
██████████████▄▄
██████████████████▄
███████████████████
█████     ▀▀█████████              ███████████▄    ███████████  ████      ███      ████      ██████████▄     ▄██████████▄
█████         ▀███████             ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████     ███     ██████     ███▀▀▀▀▀▀███   ████▀▀▀▀▀▀████
████            ██████             ███        ███  ███          ██████    ███    ███  ███    ███       ██   ███        ███
███▀            ██████             ███        ███  █████████    ███ ███   ███    ███  ███    ███▄▄▄▄▄▄███   ███        ███
█▀              ██████             ███        ███  ███▀▀▀▀▀▀    ███  ███  ███   ███    ███   ██████████▀    ███        ███
                ██████             ███        ███  ███          ███   ███ ███   ██████████   ███  ▀███▄     ███        ███
              ▄███████             ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███   ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███    ██████  ███▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ███    ▀███▄   ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████
          ▄▄█████████              ███████████▀    ███████████  ███     █████  ███      ███  ███      ▀███   ▀██████████▀
 █████████████████
▄████████████████▀
█████████████▀▀
    █████
    ███▀
    ▀▀
|CRYPTOCURRENCY WALLET AND
WORLDWIDE DEBIT CARDS         ||
                               ▄▄▄▄
                             ▄██████▄
    ██████████████████████████▀ ▄▄ ▀█████████
    ██                     ███  █   ███    ██
  ▄███████████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████
████▀                                       ▀████
███                                           ███
███                    ███████▄               ███
███   ▄█████████▄      ██    ▀██        ▄████████
███   ██       ██              ██      ██▀    ███
███   ██  ███  ██              ██      ██  ██ ███
███   ██       ██      ██    ▄██       ██▄    ███
███   ▀█████████▀      ███████▀         ▀████████
███                                           ███
███     ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██        ███
███      ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██       ███
████▄                                       ▄████
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████
  ▀███████████████████████████████████████████▀
|
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1237

Electrical engineer (B.E.). Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2016, 08:32:07 PM

Shipping is included.

That is not true.  It specifically says that shipping is not included and you have to add the item to your cart and go to check out to get actual shipping costs.
Did you buy one? Because I checked out, selected UPS, and paid and received confirmation and I paid $0 in shipping.
Hmmm, well that is true. I tried now as well and I get $0 for shipping with all logistics companies.

clgrissom3
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1010

Carl, aka Sonny :)

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:01:08 PM

Shipping is included.

Hmmm, well that is true. I tried now as well and I get $0 for shipping with all logistics companies.

You guys actually bought this thing at $1400???  No wonder Bitmain can charge what ever they like...miners will buy anything from them no matter what the cost.

@Bitmain, change the price of the R4 to $4000...you'll still be able to sell them like hotcakes!

I proudly mine at the KanoPool, the Best Bitcoin Pool in the World!
dogjunior

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:17:46 PM

Shipping is included.

You guys actually bought this thing at $1400???  No wonder Bitmain can charge what ever they like...miners will buy anything from them no matter what the cost.

@Bitmain, change the price of the R4 to $4000...you'll still be able to sell them like hotcakes!

Wow bitmain. Almost 400 days to break even on this sucker with 0.10 USD power cost. Going to pass on this one.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1375

Avalon 841 rocks

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:18:22 PM

Shipping is included.

I would pay them the 1400 if they had a good warranty.

But based on my 6 s-9's   having now 2 dead boards  an 11% fail rate on in 80 days the other in one day I simply can't fork out the 1400.

These are smaller chips then ever and I am beginning to think they will have a very high fail rate.

I mine alt coins with https://simplemining.net...
I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
Flying Hellfish
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1332

Impeach 45

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:24:51 PM

Shipping is included.

You say that like its some new phenomenon.   Supply and demand it literally is as simple as that...

.FORTUNE.JACK.
      ▄▄███████▄▄
   ▄████▀▀ ▄ ██████▄
  ████ ▄▄███ ████████
 █████▌▐███▌ ▀▄ ▀█████
███████▄██▀▀▀▀▄████████
█████▀▄▄▄▄█████████████
████▄▄▄▄ █████████████
 ██████▌ ███▀████████
  ███████▄▀▄████████
   ▀█████▀▀███████▀
      ▀▀██████▀▀

█
...FortuneJack.com                                             
...THE BIGGEST BITCOIN GAMBLING SITE
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▄██
█████████▀███████████▄
██████████▀   ▀██████████
█████████▀       ▀█████████
████████           ████████
████████▄   ▄ ▄   ▄████████
██████████▀   ▀██████████
 ▀██
█████████████████████▀
  ▀██
███████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
#JACKMATE
WIN 1 BTC
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀░░▀░░░░░▀░░▀███████
██████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐██████
██████░░░░██░░░██░░░░██████
█████▌░░░░▀▀░░░▀▀░░░░▐█████
██████▄░░▄▄▄░░░▄▄▄░░▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████

▀█████████████████████████▀
OgNasty
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1434

I 💚 Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2016, 09:27:30 PM

I was ready to order a unit at $999 + shipping.  At this price I will continue waiting for a purchase that I can pretend has the potential to make sense.

mamiakimo

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:54:44 PM

APW5 in the top of the page they write 5KG
and in the Parameters tables 2.5KG

what is the correct weight?
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1237

Electrical engineer (B.E.). Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2016, 10:00:31 PM

Shipping is included.

I didn't buy one, because I doesn't make any sense when it comes to ROI. I just tried to put it to the shopping cart and see the total price.

BobLawblaw
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1569

Bitcointalks Most Fabulously Gay Black Power-Top

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 10:23:01 PM

Why ? Even with a good warranty, you are just better off buying and holding Bitcoin.

This product is a loser on every conceivable level for the consumer. Being in the R* product line, this thing can't even act as a router...

I mean, for fucks sake, they are still using individual chip heat-sinks. Their best products were always the ones with the solid block of metal that covered the entire board.

All in the name of gross profits.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1134

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 10:40:57 PM

<snip>

But based on my 6 s-9's   having now 2 dead boards  an 11% fail rate on in 80 days the other in one day I simply can't fork out the 1400.

These are smaller chips then ever and I am beginning to think they will have a very high fail rate.
Can't blame ya  for being hesitant and doing more GPU stuff. May consider it myself. Knock on wood, so far all my s9's are running beautifully though I dropped the B1 from 650mHz to 606 to keep chip temp around 95C.

As for the chips being more unstable/fragile....
(cough) been bringing up that point since BitFury's smoke about their foray into 16nm... Wink

As fof Bob's comment about a mono sink on top: A single extrusion milled flat on the bottom then relief milled for any clearance issues has to be cheaper than all those lil' sinks and the labor involved with them. The only reason I can see why BM didn't go that route is concern about spots with different amount of thermal expansion between the PCB/chips/topsink could stress the solder connections. For that -- don't use thermal epoxy. Use a soft non-hardening conformal thermal putty. And NOT paste. It hardens under the heat.

OT but query: Do the strings still have power on your dead boards?

For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself - Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats
How a miner mfgr SHOULD operate: HaggsFIN trip to Canaan My info useful? Donations welcome! 1Fuzzyk398kDWVjuC5qPX5v6CjSkvbgAbd
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.