Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:39:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain Announces the Antminer R4 and APW5 Power Supply, Designed for Silence  (Read 84859 times)
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2533

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 12:06:56 AM

One of my R4's that stopped hashing on one board has stopped hashing completely after trying to restore the original firmware. The hardware version listed under system overview says "   Socket connect failed: Connection refused".

I have tried powering off several times, reboots, updating firmware, etc. No more hashing. There has to be an easy fix to this without sending to Hong Kong or letting sit in Denver for weeks on end. Any thoughts?

EDIT:  unplugged the original board that did not hash and fired back up, the one remaining board is hashing again at 4th/s!
Exactly same fault here - I think we discovered common issue.
Same thing happened to me
And is it also always the top board (chain 8 on GUI) that fails?
One of my b6's lost it 25hrs after getting it. One of these days got to send it off to CO for paid repair...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2017, 07:08:47 PM

Well, this is an interesting find and I thought I'll share it with you. Smiley

I had a problem booting my Antminer R4 8.0 Th/s, batch 2, autotune-model.

So I went looking in here:
Bitmain.com: Three Ways to Restore Factory Settings (R4/S9/T9)
https://enforum.bitmain.com/bbs/topics/3957

I used the last option in the list, IP Reporter button restore.
Quote from: Bitmain
Usage: Please power off the miner, then hold down the IP Reporter and don’t release it. At the same time, please power on the miner.
Releasing the IP Reporter after 5 seconds, the machine will automatically restore factory settings.

My miner restored with firmware Aug. 9 2016 and autotune settings were gone.
I am now suddenly able to control frequency and custom fan settings.  Cheesy

This was not my original problem, but I'm happy with it.
My original problem was that the miner jammed somehow in the booting process and didn't even show up in my router ip list.

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6263

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2017, 11:25:01 PM

Anybody have any idea of what is up with this temp?
Everything seems to be working fine, but that's just way out of range.

Thanks,
Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
dogjunior

Activity: 407
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 04:00:03 PM

Well my faulty R4 is now fixed and on the way back to my place. Fedex has it in Cologne (Germany) at the moment.
No details about what was repaired though.

At least they fixed your R4. They sent back a broken R4 that would not hash. I resent it back for repair and now they said they can't replace it because they don't have any more R4 units. They want me to pay some BTC to get as a replacement a T9. It's faster but also louder. Terrible customer service.
Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 06:10:02 PM

Well my faulty R4 is now fixed and on the way back to my place. Fedex has it in Cologne (Germany) at the moment.

At least they fixed your R4. They sent back a broken R4 that would not hash. I resent it back for repair and now they said they can't replace it because they don't have any more R4 units. They want me to pay some BTC to get as a replacement a T9. It's faster but also louder. Terrible customer service.

Try to get a swap without additional payment. The R4 are doomed.
dogjunior

Activity: 407
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 10:06:42 PM

Ya they won't budge. My only options are to have them send back a busted R4 or pay up and get a T9. I asked them to provide the cost and also to send me a unit that has been fully tested 100% good. I don't want to pay and then have them send a busted up T9.
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 06:16:30 AM

Ya they won't budge. My only options are to have them send back a busted R4 or pay up and get a T9. I asked them to provide the cost and also to send me a unit that has been fully tested 100% good. I don't want to pay and then have them send a busted up T9.

I'm in the same boat. It's an 11th/s T9 that they forced me to pay extra for, on top of the cost of shipping the whole R4 unit back instead of just the faulty board. They received the unit back on the 15th and I just received the extortion request today.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
elokk

Activity: 723
Merit: 519

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 11:30:55 AM

Where did you send for repair? Hong Kong or Denver?

t.me/bitcoinasic
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 11:37:13 AM

Is this Bitmain or that authorized service company?
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 01:07:30 PM

It's Bitmain. I opened a repair rocket through their website. They told me Denver was only for out of warranty repair.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
beltsniffer

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 03:08:50 AM

Well, this is an interesting find and I thought I'll share it with you. Smiley

I had a problem booting my Antminer R4 8.0 Th/s, batch 2, autotune-model.

So I went looking in here:
Bitmain.com: Three Ways to Restore Factory Settings (R4/S9/T9)
https://enforum.bitmain.com/bbs/topics/3957

I used the last option in the list, IP Reporter button restore.
Quote from: Bitmain
Usage: Please power off the miner, then hold down the IP Reporter and don’t release it. At the same time, please power on the miner.
Releasing the IP Reporter after 5 seconds, the machine will automatically restore factory settings.

My miner restored with firmware Aug. 9 2016 and autotune settings were gone.
I am now suddenly able to control frequency and custom fan settings.  Cheesy

This was not my original problem, but I'm happy with it.
My original problem was that the miner jammed somehow in the booting process and didn't even show up in my router ip list.

I did this on my Batch 6 R4 with a bad board, hoping it would solve the problem. Alas, it did not. It did dump the auto tune firmware and is still hashing the same on the one board, but now I have manual control of the fan speed and frequency setting!

Thanks for posting this Hagss!
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2017, 08:39:12 AM

No problem  Smiley. You have now the original non-autotune firmware, but you could have one faulty board because you are able to get only one board hashing.

beltsniffer

Activity: 277

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 08:45:49 AM

No problem  Smiley. You have now the original non-autotune firmware, but you could have one faulty board because you are able to get only one board hashing.
Those batch 6's were super flakey. The board was dead an hour after I started it up. Never could get it to come back. I need to send it in for repair, just didn't want to lose the hash. And it was keeping my office warm.  Smiley

Since I'm in the US, I'll probably shoot it off to Bitmain Warranty in Colorado, now that the temps are starting to rise.
rupy

Activity: 725
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 09:19:03 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2018, 12:44:25 AM by rupy

With these ASICBOOST/SegWit Bitmain claims does it mean that our R4 "are using"/"can use" ASICBOOST?

Edit: hm; https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/63zefl/asicboost_sam_cole_knc_miner_medium/

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
Moria843

Activity: 442

Found Lost beach - quiet now

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 01:32:17 AM

Another R4 acting up. The symptoms are that one board does not hash although all ASICs show 0. The difficulty autoset by my pool (slush) shows about half of a fully functional R4 and the power drawn by the bad board is only about 90 watts with temps in the 90s.

Tried hard and soft reboots and will run ok for about an hour (assigned difficulty goes from about 3k to 6k) and then acts up again and goes back down to 3k. Has anyone ever seen this problem and have any recommendations?

Hot time, summer in the city, back of my mine getting hot & gritty!!!
VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 09:14:34 PM

Repair finished, R4B4 is being sent back to Hoth...  Fingers crossed all is good!
Well that didn't take long...  R4 got back to the Hoth mine and after a few weeks has dropped a board (again) and is running at 1/2 speed.
Lame.  Angry

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 10:48:27 PM

Repair finished, R4B4 is being sent back to Hoth...  Fingers crossed all is good!
Well that didn't take long...  R4 got back to the Hoth mine and after a few weeks has dropped a board (again) and is running at 1/2 speed.
Lame.  Angry
I'll bet it is the top board that's out, right?
My gimpy batch-6 I got had a board (top one) crap out after just 24hrs. Since I'll (eventually) have it fixed in CO just been happy with it running @4.7TH and only pulling 430w.

Getting warm here so moved my R4 batch-4 from office to the break room. For a while it dinna wanna fire up the top board. Finally after it being warmed by the lower board, several hard boots later it is back up full 8.7TH. Had me scared there for a while...

So far in both cases with the dead/nearly dead top board main diagnostic is that the lil' red LED that indicates Vcore supply is live is either just barely lit or not lit at all.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Moria843

Activity: 442

Found Lost beach - quiet now

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 01:11:03 AM

Had one R4 repaired in CO and they did a quick and good job. But, back then I was told to send the whole unit in since it had to be balanced. Now for this second R4 CO said I may be able to just send in the board that's acting up.

Has anyone just sent in an R4 board with success?

Removing S5, S7 boards a piece of cake but I never removed an R4 board. Is there a procedure somewhere showing how to remove R4 boards?

Hot time, summer in the city, back of my mine getting hot & gritty!!!
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 01:23:57 AM
Last edit: April 13, 2017, 02:54:36 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

Looks to be pretty obvious:
  Power OFF of course.

Unplug the PCIe connectors to bad board. It's a PIA to squeeze the tabs on the connectors - needle-nose pliers is a great help.

Unplug data cable from board by squeezing the tab on the cable while rocking the connector back and forth to remove it.
Look at front of miner and take out the screws holding the board supports.

Remove board.[

VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 02:32:17 AM

Repair finished, R4B4 is being sent back to Hoth...  Fingers crossed all is good!
Well that didn't take long...  R4 got back to the Hoth mine and after a few weeks has dropped a board (again) and is running at 1/2 speed.
Lame.  Angry
I'll bet it is the top board that's out, right?
My gimpy batch-6 I got had a board (top one) crap out after just 24hrs. Since I'll (eventually) have it fixed in CO just been happy with it running @4.7TH and only pulling 430w.
No way for me to tell since since it's with Alan at cryptoboreas in their Hoth mines... I'll just let it run at 1/2 speed for now.  Just had the POS shipped back and forth to the Empire's apparently useless repair facility.  Such suckitude it boggles the mind!

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  

Jump to: