Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:02:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:54:23 PM

Their last update specifically said - early Autumn for the ASIC, very soon for an FPGA.

OK, September 22nd then. Smiley

Right now I'm more interested in how soon is really soon for their FPGA. In Autumn, 7K for 250GH/s will still be a deal.

$5k if you get the FPGA, there's $2k off the ASIC price if you purchased the FPGA. I'm not keen on a Bitcoin FPGA though, it's a waste.

All over a scrypt mining Litecoin FPGA though!

All a matter of timing and I hope they might release a firmware to convert the BTC FPGAs into LTC FPGAs.

Even if they don't, given the lag on ASICs, I'd get some FPGAs if the price is right and theirs looks right to me. Also, since my racks are power constrained, more GH/s/W is always good to take.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:57:33 PM

So ... the 2 months from now in the first post was ... ?

Hi everybody,

We are Swedish miners that are producing our own ASIC miners to strengthen the market and avoid monopoly.
Our company kncminer is pleased to announce the opening of a brand new web shop dedicated to the online sale of Bitcoin hardware to the international community, www.kncminer.com.

A lot of scam sites are appearing every day and we are not one of them, therefore we will not take any orders and are only registering interest.

We will in the upcoming weeks opening our order book to allow the purchase of our first set of ASIC miners. They are in the early stages of development now and will be ready in the summer of 2013 (yes in just a few months)
Register an account now it’s completely free and if you subscribe to our newsletter we will alert you the moment we open the order books for entry and other information around the ASIC products.
If you have any questions we will be happy to answer them.

Happy mining

Not 2 months, in the summer of 2013 (you might have thought "hey in just 2 months" at the time...), which leaves until september 21st...
That was 8th April ... read again ...

Edit: I don't see how a few months = 5.5 months ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:58:22 PM

You can't convert an SHA265 Bitcoin FPGA to A Scrypt mining Litecoin FPGA. Scrypt demnds more memory, so onboard DDR is required. That needs to be designed into the board from the beginning.

ORSoC are capable of doing this. If you follow the links I added above you can see threads about it on this forum as well as an FAQ.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:59:29 PM

Hi everybody,

We are Swedish miners that are producing our own ASIC miners to strengthen the market and avoid monopoly.
Our company kncminer is pleased to announce the opening of a brand new web shop dedicated to the online sale of Bitcoin hardware to the international community, www.kncminer.com.

A lot of scam sites are appearing every day and we are not one of them, therefore we will not take any orders and are only registering interest.

We will in the upcoming weeks opening our order book to allow the purchase of our first set of ASIC miners. They are in the early stages of development now and will be ready in the summer of 2013 (yes in just a few months)
Register an account now it’s completely free and if you subscribe to our newsletter we will alert you the moment we open the order books for entry and other information around the ASIC products.

Happy mining

Not 2 months, in the summer of 2013 (you might have thought "hey in just 2 months" at the time...), which leaves until september 21st...

By definition a few is anything above 2, a couple being equal to 2.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:03:54 PM

Hi everybody,

Happy mining

So in this case it's suddenly 5.5 months now ...

You been taking dictionary definitions from Luke-Jr? He makes up shit all the time and says that dictionaries are wrong.

http://www.ask.com/question/how-much-is-a-few

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:08:41 PM

Hi everybody,

We will in the upcoming weeks opening our order book to allow the purchase of our first set of ASIoC miners. They are in the early stages of development now and will be ready in the summer of 2013 (yes in just a few months)

Happy mining

No you're making assumptions and not following their updates. They clearly stated FPGA soon, ASIC early Autumn when they revised their product offering. Besides here, it's clearly written on their site;

https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-10

Can't get clearer than that. You do seem to have an ulterior motive?

You could be helping them realise this potentially sooner with your software expertise.

KS

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:22:42 PM

geez Smiley

Summer ends September 21st. No extrapolating how ppl read KnC posts, though.

Early Autumn is technically from September 22nd on. Might be October etc depends what the mean by early and whether they think September is already in Autumn.

Anyway, the sooner Mars is released, the better. Heck, I might even decide it's an honest enough scam to loose 2.7K USD on it. Smiley
kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:27:44 PM

Hi everybody,

We will in the upcoming weeks opening our order book to allow the purchase of our first set of ASIoC miners. They are in the early stages of development now and will be ready in the summer of 2013 (yes in just a few months)

Happy mining

No you're making assumptions and not following their updates. They clearly stated FPGA soon, ASIC early Autumn when they revised their product offering. Besides here, it's clearly written on their site;

You could be helping them realise this potentially sooner with your software expertise.
... so they should put a big black line through the first post Tongue

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:33:18 PM
Last edit: May 09, 2013, 01:53:46 PM by Bitcoinorama

Hi everybody,

Happy mining

... so they should put a big black line through the first post Tongue

Ha, yup or, update.

They also need to be specific as to what they determine early Autumn to be, not by the day, you can't hold them accountable by that, but certainly by a given period.

There's no excuse to repeat the mistakes made by BFL, they know what they are getting into and they read this thread. They need to state their intention from the start, by they way they mean to follow.

Under-promising and over-delivering is always appreciated. Wink

KS

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:40:03 PM

You can't convert an SHA265 Bitcoin FPGA to A Scrypt mining Litecoin FPGA. Scrypt demnds more memory, so onboard DDR is required. That needs to be designed into the board from the beginning.

ORSoC are capable of doing this. If you follow the links I added above you can see threads about it on this forum as well as an FAQ.

The Altera Cyclone IV chip they are listing for the Mars has a DDR2 interface.

It's always possible they thought "hey, look: add a bit of ddr2 here and we can also make LTC FPGAs" (or not, anyway). The design change might not be as drastic as one might think and it makes good business sense to re-use existing designs.
dan99

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:28:12 PM

The Altera Cyclone IV chip they are listing for the Mars has a DDR2 interface.

It's always possible they thought "hey, look: add a bit of ddr2 here and we can also make LTC FPGAs" (or not, anyway). The design change might not be as drastic as one might think and it makes good business sense to re-use existing designs.

if the FPGA can get to 70 or more mh/s for mining Litecoin,  I will get a couple of this baby .. Smiley

Yes the big capital letter : IF
DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:33:08 PM

My offer of acting as a bridge between the community and KNCMiner still stands.
I am happy to take a look at the devices once they are ready, and document any information I can get.
Then publish it as a independent third party for anyone to take part of, to make it easier to make a decisions if you should purchase a miner from KNCMiner or not.
I am located in Stockholm and I have very good reputation.
//DeaDTerra
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:51:16 PM

I am happy to take a look at the devices once they are ready, and document any information I can get.
Then publish it as a independent third party for anyone to take part of, to make it easier to make a decisions if you should purchase a miner from KNCMiner or not.
//DeaDTerra

Haha you're not the only one! Wink

DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:51:50 PM

//DeaDTerra

Haha you're not the only one! Wink
I am sure I am not Smiley
//DeaDTerra
dan99

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:09:33 PM

//DeaDTerra

Why don't u walk over to their office or factory and take some photos of their production lines Smiley
videos are even better, pretty sure they must something going on by now, right?
pichadpi

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:42:04 PM

Thought I'd share some of the information I've gathered over the last couple of weeks from Sam at KnCMiner. Some of the following questions from me have been abbreviated to save space and your eyes, however, Sam's responses are untouched. Here are a few choice tidbits;

~~~~
Q: Are your Mars FPGA miners still in design development, or are they reaching production to amass stock for shipment in the 2 months?
The Mars products are in the prototype phase. We have ordered parts that have a long lead time frame for the mass shipments to start in just over 2 months’ time

Q. Your Mars product looks to be provided with software, may we use other software with these?
Yes as soon as we have a spare prototype we will allow developers such as luke Jr  etc to have enough time and access to code against the devices

Q. With the $2,000 voucher to apply toward the Jupiter model, are you then requiring customers to trade-in or return the Mars unit back to you?
We do not require the Mars product to be returned it’s yours to keep. IF we can issue a firmware update that will make it possible for it to mine anything else, we will do that free of charge to anyone who buys a Mars product.

Q. Are there any assurances that you’re capable of delivering Jupiter within your stated shipment goal to suspend the buyers’ fears of continual delays -or- final hashing specs not reaching original plans?
We know this concern is real and very valid, I would like to say
• We don’t make profit on the Mars product, The components are so expensive that we are really only producing it to prove we can make products in short time frames and that we can achieve our set deadlines.
• ORSoC have been building and making products based on ASIC and FPGA chips for over 10 years They have a proven track record, this is why we have teamed up with them as we can’t afford to let the community down by promising things we later change.
• The public figure for Jupiter is 250 GH/s but, as we stated in the release that’s the minimum and already doesn’t account for the 30% extra we expect to gain from the advanced coding ORSoC are famous for. So today we are saying 250 but we are doing everything we can to make sure that figure rises as high as possible not falls.            

Q. Had you considered adding memory to more appropriately re-purpose the Mars FPGA to mine a scrypt based cryptocurrency, such as Litecoin?
It has been requested by many, we may look at producing Mars2.0 or something similar to accomplish that very task, but as for redeveloping the current Mars product to mine litecoins, That would ofcourse delay the Mars product and the Jupiter range which is unacceptable to us.

Q. How far along are you currently with Jupiter's development? Do you have a working prototype at this time?
For Jupiter we currently do not have a working prototype. As soon as that arrives we will show it to the community that’s for sure

Q. Will you be providing pictures and/or videos of the Jupiter unit before you open up the order book for Mars?
Drawings possibly but not actual photos. It would look quite similar in setup to Mars as we are reusing the same ideas.

Q. Are your ASIC chips being developed and produced entirely in-house by ORSoC? Are they also responsible for assembly on the boards?
All the chips and PCB design is taken care of by ORSoC but final assembly is done in an assembly plant in sweden which we have out sourced to, That factory have all the equipment needed and to be honest are faster than us setting up an assembly line ourselves. (Time to market is critical so we choose to outsource to professionals when they are faster)

Q. Are your intentions to ship the Mars and Jupiter units in consolidated batch shipments, or immediately as they are manufactured and become available?
We won’t keep any on the shelf (unless we somehow manage to empty the back log). They will arrive from the assembly plant in the morning go through final testing and then shipped that afternoon

Q. Do you intend on holding consistent communication during development with prospective buyers to sustain confidence?
Oh yes, this email is one of them  we will have sessions in our offices where people can come and “play” with the prototypes we will have web videos and maybe even our own forum

Q. Are you able to elaborate a little further on the embedded Linux device in the Jupiter unit?
http://orsoc.se/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/dev_board_Ordb2a_web1.png
think of it as a RaspberryPi device, it will be tiny in size but specifically setup to do one thing,

Q. What type of connectivity will Jupiter have?
It will have a web interface that you connect to, on that page you will enter your pool details. Other types of connections are possible but we will limit them so we can deliver the box faster

Q. Will we need to supply our own power supplies for Jupiter, as we will with Mars?
Yes

Q. Will there be any sort of warranty coverage on the chips / boards / the water cooling system?
As its electronic we will offer a warranty on a send and replace setup. But as Jupiter is a modular device you will not have to return the whole device just the blade that has issues which allows you to continue mining while we get you a replacement.

Q. Might the Jupiter be capable of overclocking by the consumer?
If they know how, but it will void the warranty the box will come pretty highly tuned from us,

Q. Are the Jupiter units and Mars FPGAs being developed simultaneously, or is the focus on getting Mars out the door as soon as possible?
Getting Mars up and running is our top priority, we need to who the world that we can design and build a rapid prototype and have it run.

Q. You mention the possibility of owning a miner and having it hosted, and also being able to choose your hash speed for a given period and paying for that (alluding to rented hardware). Do you know how those fees will be applied?
It will not be on a % base, it will be on a fixed contract length for a supply of Hashes during that period, we are still working out the details. But we see that with hardware getting more and more expensive people with $100 to “invest” will have nowhere to turn to min coins soon and we don’t like that it makes this an elitists activity and we will look at ways of allowing the man/women with a hundred bucks still be a part of the comminuty.

We are very excited as well. The mining hardware market has treated its customers quite badly. We aim to show that not all companies are as bad as others, But what we really want is to show that if the community gather together they can help shape us providers and hold us to standards. So that the new companies which come along will have to meet those standards.
~~~~

As you can see above, KnC does not have the intent to revise the current Mars pre-order devices to be capable LTC miners in the interest of developing rapidly and avoiding delays. Any FPGA LTC miner they would offer would be a new product to come down the road. That is to say, if nothing has changed since I received these replies. If I'm wrong, I'd hope & expect Sam will correct me here.

Despite the lack of LTC support for the FPGA, my attitude towards KnC has become increasingly optimistic. Granted they still have much to show, I empathize with their positions in what they're trying to accomplish.
DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:43:35 PM

//DeaDTerra

Why don't u walk over to their office or factory and take some photos of their production lines Smiley
I will if I get invited.
But I am not the one to go over there uninvited.
//DeaDTerra
KS

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:01:32 PM

//DeaDTerra

I will if I get invited.
But I am not the one to go over there uninvited.
//DeaDTerra

Fear their blades? Smiley

(maybe they will call them bars, instead of blades)
KS

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:05:15 PM

//DeaDTerra

I very much doubt they have a "factory". The capital numbers I found are pretty low (about 6500 USD - but hey, it's a compnay, address, phone and all, from late 2012), so I would guess it's really an office with 5-6 ppl around a big table, *possibly* testing prototypes (no reason to spend 10K USD/month on a EU "factory" worker when you can spend 100x less on a Chinese one).

Or it's an elaborate front (to stay on the fascinating topic of BTC scams) Smiley
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:08:30 PM

ORSoC has 4 locations in Sweden. I'm sure all are equipt with more than tables and chairs, though their head office is in Stockholm which is where Andreas and Sam are based, from what I understand.

Sam and Andreas will probably be able to confirm their seating arrangement tomorrow. Tongue

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: