June 24, 2024, 10:07:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 15822 15823 15824 15825 15826 15827 15828 15829 15830 15831 15832 15833 15834 15835 15836 15837 15838 15839 15840 15841 15842 15843 15844 15845 15846 15847 15848 15849 15850 15851 15852 15853 15854 15855 15856 15857 15858 15859 15860 15861 15862 15863 15864 15865 15866 15867 15868 15869 15870 15871 [15872] 15873 15874 15875 15876 15877 15878 15879 15880 15881 15882 15883 15884 15885 15886 15887 15888 15889 15890 15891 15892 15893 15894 15895 15896 15897 15898 15899 15900 15901 15902 15903 15904 15905 15906 15907 15908 15909 15910 15911 15912 15913 15914 15915 15916 15917 15918 15919 15920 15921 15922 ... 33478 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26406118 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 5079

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 08:44:38 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2016, 09:03:43 PM by Torque

For example in your assessments that adoption is not rapid enough  and that bitcoin is losing market share seems to be quite a way off and really exaggerations, no?

"Bitcoin has steadily been losing some marketshare ground to shitcoins for 3 years now."

I doubt that the facts really support this kind of an assertion.  Sure, we have been witnessing some innovations from altcoins (shitcoins as you call them), but in the end, any "losing of  marketshare ground" is likely more illusory than anything.

JJG, since you seem to like to confront people a lot, and since you are always in need of hard facts, stats, and proof over public sentiment (which is fairly palpable atm), then here you go.  Third chart at the bottom, the 3-year downtrend in bitcoin's overall crypto marketshare is as plain as day:

https://coinmarketcap.com/charts/#btc-percentage

Doesn't change the fact that I'm a permabull.  But my patience is starting to wear thin.  Other so-called bit bulls have already moved on and left bitcoin behind.
julian071

Activity: 1132
Merit: 818

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 09:24:17 PM

For example in your assessments that adoption is not rapid enough  and that bitcoin is losing market share seems to be quite a way off and really exaggerations, no?

"Bitcoin has steadily been losing some marketshare ground to shitcoins for 3 years now."

I doubt that the facts really support this kind of an assertion.  Sure, we have been witnessing some innovations from altcoins (shitcoins as you call them), but in the end, any "losing of  marketshare ground" is likely more illusory than anything.

JJG, since you seem to like to confront people a lot, and since you are always in need of hard facts, stats, and proof over public sentiment (which is fairly palpable atm), then here you go.  Third chart at the bottom, the 3-year downtrend in bitcoin's overall crypto marketshare is as plain as day:

Doesn't change the fact that I'm a permabull.  But my patience is starting to wear thin.  Other so-called bit bulls have already moved on and left bitcoin behind.

+1, I feel exactly the same. I went all-in back to BTC a while ago hoping the debate about the high fees would yield a solution, but I'm back to diversifying right now. Don't see it happening any time soon, and that might be not soon enough.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 09:27:58 PM

Well, the losing market share thing is mainly the incredible alt pumps most of which are in aid of obtaining more Bitcoin. Certainly ETH looks like an increasingly appalling bet by the day. However there may come a time where it has a different smell to it. Bitcoin needs to deliver both signs of some capacity progress and action to satisfy the speculators.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 10:17:18 PM

Quote from: satoshi on October 03, 2010, 09:07:28 PM
We can phase in a change later if we get closer to needing it.

IMO it's a marketing thing.  It's tough to get people to buy into a system, if the network is technically incapable of supporting high transaction rates.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1347.msg15145#msg15145
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 02:43:50 AM

Why so violent Dafar? Are you still butthurt about a bad trade or something?

I'm a permabull hodler that, after 3 straight years of witnessing bitcoin NOT becoming the uber global phenom that everyone was going on about in 2013, I believe have earned the right to be a little bearish now and then.  I still have not witnessed ANY new major Average Joe money, nor major investment money, nor major retailer adoption happen in that time either.  The only thing I've seen in that time frame is complete apathy from the general public, and the occasional PnD bullshit that we're all so familiar with by now.

So fkn sue me bitch.  Also, let's see how the year finishes up before you start calling it a full on uptrend, eh? Bitcoin has steadily been losing some marketshare ground to shitcoins for 3 years now.

Edit:
Well, well, well, looks like ol' Dafar is just as bearish too.

Ok guys, we've been seeing insane predictions since the end of 2013.

$1600/btc... $2000/btc... $3000/btc... even $10K/btc... but 3 years later nothing happens. I believe in bitcoin, but I'm worried about the time frame it might take for adoption to hit a point where we finally pass ATH. That could take a decade or not even happen in our lifetime

I'm not butthurt... you called me out when you thought you were right, and I'm calling you out for being the bigger a fool  Cheesy

And I am not bearish, I expect much higher prices... I just don't know how long it will take. Months, years, decades?? Probably sooner than that, I'm excited about 2017... I think as long as bitcoin keeps growing, as it is, without another gox/bfx, as adoption and use cases grow, as second-layer scaling technologies evolve, a sudden news of a ETF could be enough to push the price beyond ATH.

I had to comment on this.... what the hell does this chart prove? Of course bitcoin is gonna lose "crypto marketshare" as other alts emerge. If you compare any altcoin with the rest of the crypto market share they will all be going down unless the coin just started. This says nothing about bitcoin's growth. BTC transaction volume has grown significantly-- a compounded yearly rate of 224% since 2013 and tripped over last year. The are many metrics that show positive growth in areas that matter and you chose to focus on something useless. Not to mention a lot of the bitcoin that went to the altcoin market are only there so traders can earn more bitcoin. I myself have tons of BTC in alts that is coming right back into bitcoin

Quote from: satoshi on October 03, 2010, 09:07:28 PM
We can phase in a change later if we get closer to needing it.

IMO it's a marketing thing.  It's tough to get people to buy into a system, if the network is technically incapable of supporting high transaction rates.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1347.msg15145#msg15145

Is that the real satoshi?  Shocked
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 10434

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 02:45:54 AM

JJG, since you seem to like to confront people a lot,

That seems to be merely your perception of the matter.  I am just engaging in conversations related to bitcoin (hopefully) to the extent that posters want to conversate regarding such matters.

and since you are always in need of hard facts, stats, and proof over public sentiment (which is fairly palpable atm), then here you go.

hahahahahaha... I don't think that I am demanding anything, yet if a poster makes claims then they should attempt to back them up with either facts or logic or both, and yeah, sure, each of us are going to decide on an individual level the extent to which a claim needs to be backed up... and sure, other times, some claims are merely opinions and not able to back up, which can be fair, too, depending on circumstances. 

Third chart at the bottom, the 3-year downtrend in bitcoin's overall crypto marketshare is as plain as day:

Thanks for the chart that points out how you arrived at your opinion, and I believe that helps to frame the understanding a bit better.

Personally, I don't find your evidence to change my opinion on any kind of meaningful level.. Sure, it is good to look at actual sources concerning the share of the market that alt coins have and their share in comparison to bitcoin; however, you will notice that the graphs that you provided begin largely in mid-2013 because prior to 2013, there were hardly any crypto currencies or anything of such a nature, except for bitcoin.

The mere fact that various crypto currencies are being developed and attempting to take away some of bitcoin's market share, does not undermine the importance and/or uniqueness of bitcoin and what bitcoin brings to the crypto space, as compared with the various "competitors."  Even though there is some downward trajectory, I doubt that this actual "downward trajectory" signifies that bitcoin is threatened in any kind of meaningful way by the various other cryptos.

Bitcoin continues to bring to the space a certain level of secure decentralized immutability that is not provided by any other coin.  Yeah, sure, go ahead and proclaim that bitcoin is dying and losing market share, but those kinds of proclamations have no real material meaning when you really consider the actuality of what bitcoin is providing that none of the others are providing, still to date.

Also, it is likely good that quite a few of these various coins are coming to the crypto space because they provide avenues for folks to get involved in cryptos and likely helps to develop the space.  If at any time you see some coin(s) that are worthy of investment, then fine go ahead and invest in such alternative coins... That is not a big deal.  I personally do not see any meaningful reason to divert my investment from BTC.. yet others are free to come to differing conclusions and to invest in accordance with they perceptions.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm a permabull.  But my patience is starting to wear thin.  

O.k.  I will accept your representation that you are a permabull and that you are running out of patience, yet to me, some of that running out of patience seems to be unreasonable, like you want to rush something that is not quite ready for what you would like, like you are suggesting that it should be better in some kind of way.  You are certainly free to diversify your investment to the extent that you believe that there may be some other coins or investments that are more suited to your short, medium or long term views.  I really don't see any reason to get inpatient with the movement of bitcoin's market, whether that be price appreciation, development or adoption.  These things take time, and even though some indicators seem to show that progress is either flat or going in the wrong direction,  it is my sense that you are giving too much weight to the wrong indicators, or maybe possibly, you are overly invested in one direction?

Other so-called bit bulls have already moved on and left bitcoin behind.

Sure, that is a factor to take into account when you are weighing the extent that you should diversify or leave.  I personally think that it is dangerous to leave now, but each individual has to make those kinds of decisions for himself/herself, and to spread out risk to the extent that s/he believes that it is prudent to do so for his/her own individual circumstances.  Merely because some supposed bulls have lost faith is not going to necessarily sway me to follow them, unless I think that their facts and/or reasoning is sufficiently persuasive.

Take the Mike Hearn rage quit for example, I found that quit of a supposed "bull" to be completely disingenuous and lacking in any kind of persuasion for me; however, other bitcoin investors gave such rage quit of Hearn more credibility and thought that he was on to something.  Many of us currently recognize that Hearn was likely wrong at that time and the level of his criticisms, even though the timing of his quit seemed to help to bring BTC prices down from mid $400s to mid $300s, and even a certain amount of price stagnation for a few months that coincided with such quitting... but so what, we cannot know for sure how long the price is going to stay in a certain range, and if we understand the fundamentals sufficiently, we may not follow what some others may suggest, even though they may hold themselves out as supposed  bulls.

savetherainforest

Activity: 1848
Merit: 609

Plant 1xTree for each Satoshi earned!

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 02:47:03 AM

Fatman... I can't see the Trump building in that picture...  Cheesy
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 02:51:24 AM

+1, I feel exactly the same. I went all-in back to BTC a while ago hoping the debate about the high fees would yield a solution, but I'm back to diversifying right now. Don't see it happening any time soon, and that might be not soon enough.

Well, yeah, Julian071, if you feel that you should diversify, then you should attempt to accomplish such diversification to the level of your comfort, and also to decide how to apportion such diversification in order to feel personally comfortable.

These are not easy decisions because there continues to be a lot going on in the crypto space, so frequently each of us just has to make our best approximation of a solid strategy based on how we view the scene and our personal financial circumstances.

I personally do not see a need, at this time to diversify, but I do continue to attempt to protect myself from some of bitcoin's ongoing likely volatility by selling coins on the way up and buying coins on the way down.  That strategy is a bit different from diversifying into other crypto, but it does still attempt to apportion (and hopefully lessen) some of Bitcoin's likely ongoing volatility risk.

mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 07:29:28 AM

great wall to buy up

i love charts, next leg up

mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 07:35:05 AM

great wall to buy up

i love charts, next leg up

soz that was gold price

BTC 12 months

Gold 10 years
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 09:14:08 AM

https://blockchain.info/charts/my-wallet-n-users?timespan=all

https://coin.dance/volume/localbitcoins/ALL

https://blockchain.info/charts/total-bitcoins?timespan=all

poor poor bitcoin ... must be terrible for it.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2016, 11:04:17 AM

Should I go all in fiat now?

Or not invest more than I'm willing to loose?
xdrzrex

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 11:37:27 AM

Of course "not invest more than a person can afford to loose"
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 03:49:39 PM

Bitcoin Core tweeted something about Segwit. The tweet had Europe's Final Coundown link. After couple of minutes the tweet was deleted.
Hunyadi
Legendary

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 04:00:37 PM

Bitcoin Core tweeted something about Segwit. The tweet had Europe's Final Coundown link. After couple of minutes the tweet was deleted.

Cool
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 4604

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 04:14:56 PM

Good morning Bitcoinland.

As usual... $608 on Bitcoinaverage.

Consolidation can't last forever though. Will month end spark the next leg up?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 05:10:28 PM

The second one.   Tongue
Hunyadi
Legendary

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 05:13:04 PM

Cool

https://bitcoincore.org/en/meetings/2016/09/22/
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 05:40:47 PM

I like to see green on my price ticker again.
I was thinking that, maybe, the next big thing could be Scaling Bitcoin in Milan: I think some price changes could happen during and after the event.
mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 05:48:45 PM

I like to see green on my price ticker again.
I was thinking that, maybe, the next big thing could be Scaling Bitcoin in Milan: I think some price changes could happen during and after the event.

i believe the next big thing for bitocin could be the realisation from the public that the banks are using a bitcoin type currency come 2018, this would hopefully open eyes up to the choices they have

at the least though the finance industry admits bitcoin works by implementing blockchain software across all financial systems and nations...

Pages: « 1 ... 15822 15823 15824 15825 15826 15827 15828 15829 15830 15831 15832 15833 15834 15835 15836 15837 15838 15839 15840 15841 15842 15843 15844 15845 15846 15847 15848 15849 15850 15851 15852 15853 15854 15855 15856 15857 15858 15859 15860 15861 15862 15863 15864 15865 15866 15867 15868 15869 15870 15871 [15872] 15873 15874 15875 15876 15877 15878 15879 15880 15881 15882 15883 15884 15885 15886 15887 15888 15889 15890 15891 15892 15893 15894 15895 15896 15897 15898 15899 15900 15901 15902 15903 15904 15905 15906 15907 15908 15909 15910 15911 15912 15913 15914 15915 15916 15917 15918 15919 15920 15921 15922 ... 33478 »
  Print  

Jump to: