April 23, 2024, 08:52:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 29885 29886 29887 29888 29889 29890 29891 29892 29893 29894 29895 29896 29897 29898 29899 29900 29901 29902 29903 29904 29905 29906 29907 29908 29909 29910 29911 29912 29913 29914 29915 29916 29917 29918 29919 29920 29921 29922 29923 29924 29925 29926 29927 29928 29929 29930 29931 29932 29933 29934 [29935] 29936 29937 29938 29939 29940 29941 29942 29943 29944 29945 29946 29947 29948 29949 29950 29951 29952 29953 29954 29955 29956 29957 29958 29959 29960 29961 29962 29963 29964 29965 29966 29967 29968 29969 29970 29971 29972 29973 29974 29975 29976 29977 29978 29979 29980 29981 29982 29983 29984 29985 ... 33295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26366621 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7762

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2021, 02:51:24 PM

i just figure im fucked no matter what. so meh.

Oh of course: No one gets out of this game alive :-) But as a thought experiment I'm finding it to be fun to figure out how you can have maximum in-your-pocket funds while paying a minimum in taxes legally and completely by all the rules.

Maybe this is how rich people think....

of course many rich peopel think this way.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 03:01:36 PM

Explanation
tertius993

Activity: 1029
Merit: 712

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 03:36:41 PM
Merited by LoyceV (4), fillippone (3), vapourminer (2), JayJuanGee (2), cAPSLOCK (1), AlcoHoDL (1)

So there is a ton of hand wringing out there on the various talk holes.

We were all wrong about out predictions!!!   OMG!

All of this angst is driven by the fact that We are talking about predictions tied to an arbitrary date.  This always irritates me a little.  The human tendency to group things into calendar years.

I DO think that Bitcoin might be following one sort of prediction that I have frequently cited (not my fav, but that is entirely driven bny what is in my bags).  The idea of diminishing returns over time...  dragonvslinux  mentions it just a few posts up.  The idea that as the asset matures the returns will diminish.  Also DavetheWave's position.  And that theory will have won him a substantial bet with PlanB in a few days.

I personally STILL think we have at least a minor "S Curve" event in our future.  There just has to be a moment when the masses begin to realize that Bitcoin is not going away and people start piling in.  It's like the see-saw tipping point.  a 'gradually, then suddenly' event.

And if I have EVER suggested this would happen before the end of a calendar year I want to be BAT SLAPPED.

I even think the time will eventually come where the "Bitcoin 4 year cycle" falls away.  I have wondered if we would see it this cycle, begin to change.  And I think the jury i s still out on that one.  And there are several ways that could begin to happen... including a big double (or triple?)  set of peaks during THIS cycle, or perhaps a bull run INTO the next halving.

I just think tying things to year end is silly.  Well, except for the fact that people DO THAT which makes it a self fulfilling prophecy.  As well as various fiscal year motivators, like selling or buying before the end of a tax year.  

Anyway.  I remain bullish.  And I think there is a significant chance we have not seen the end of Bitcoin's rise.  After all it does not care one whit what year it is.  It only cares that the next block is a ridiculously small random number.

Bit in bold - I definitely agree with this.  I have posted about it a number of times, e.g. here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5375808.0 - if you consider that the vast majority of he total supply has already been mined (90% right now) then the quantity of bitcoin that will be influenced by each halving becomes vanishingly small: this epoch started with 88% already mined and only ~6% will be mined in the epoch, i.e. before the next halving in c. 2024.  The next halving the numbers are 94% and 3%.

I've been playing around with a good way to visualise this, and this is the best I have come up with so far, each band shows the percentage of the total supply issued in each epoch, orange at the bottom is the 50% issued from Genesis to the first halving, green at the top is what will be issued in the next epoch, etc.. Everything below the blue band is already mined, and we are maybe a third into the blue band:

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 04:01:27 PM

Explanation
BobLawblaw
Legendary

Activity: 1822
Merit: 5551

Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 04:36:55 PM
Merited by lightfoot (4), El duderino_ (3), vapourminer (1), xhomerx10 (1), d_eddie (1)

Let's keep the CoVID shit-posts in other threads and off the WO please.
(edit: Bob's thread is apparently for hat-only, I am sure there are other threads on this forum where the merits can be debated properly)

To be fair, anyone wanting to post about COVID19 related matters in this thread, is welcome to be redirected to my holding thread in Off-Topic.

The "No Hat? Fuck Off" is one layer of protection to reduce noise.

As long as the post is not completely retarded, I'll consider it on its own merits, if made in good faith.

I want to help keep this thread clean. Recognize this requires a degree of flexibility on my part, with regard to moderating COVID19 material.

Memes and low-effort posts are deleted on-sight from non-hatters.

Bring the science, or fuck off.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 04:55:49 PM

One little topical hopium salve for today?

A previous fractal on a larger scale?

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 05:01:27 PM

Explanation
Phil_S
Legendary

Activity: 2090
Merit: 1461

We choose to go to the moon

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 05:26:33 PM

Not everybody was too bullish.

Not our favorite characters: Smiley

The last day or so is just noise. The calamitous downtrend remains perfectly intact.

Agree the men of the wall will be crying by Christmas. Sub $10,000 inkoming!!!!!!!
tertius993

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 05:30:53 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

I had another go at visualising the emission schedule, 97% will be mined in the first 20 years, the remaining 3% will take over 100 years ...

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 05:46:22 PM

Not everybody was too bullish.

Not our favorite characters: Smiley

VERY true, and where would we be without them?

You know who I think mostly was too bullish?  I think it was mostly the class of ~2017.  And particularly the millennials and under.  I remember a podcast where Matt O'Dell was lambasting "Bitcoin TINA" for being too bearish while TINA was saying something like, I see us making 6 figures in early to mid 2022.  O'dell was still chanting things like "100k by conference day" and also embarrasingly drunk.

Bitcoinners who have been around the block a time or two realize that bitcoin never does what WE expect in the short term. LOL.  And someone like Tina might have gotten in around then too, but has seen enough markets to realize that things often take more time than we think...

I actually want to find that recording and isolate the bit where Tina still has a chance of being right. Wink 

Nothin' against O'Dell.  He's a good guy, and I am impressed with his devotion to privacy.  Though I also think his ideas that regular bitcoinners will EVER be able to do the kinds of privacy preserving stuff he preaches even more sophomoric than "100k by conference day" even was.  That said, he is quietly being dragged (uncomfortably) into Monero along with the rest of the privacy focused maxis, which is delightful to see... (ok JJG go ahead)

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 06:01:37 PM

Explanation
dragonvslinux
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 2204

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 06:13:55 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2023, 01:13:33 PM by dragonvslinux

Also from another macro-angle looks like a re-test of support. Price needs to reclaim $48K soon though. Closing back above the 200 Day MA @ $47,774 would be a good start.

Otherwise with price getting rejected by $48K as is currently the case it opens the door for $46K and lower. At least the end of the week is still to play for.
Am losing my mid-term bullish bias now that $49K support didn't hold and high volume selling has returned to the market though.
Long-term trend remains up but the short-term recovery was nothing more than a dead cat bounce for now.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 06:20:39 PM

Also from another macro-angle looks like a re-test of support. Price needs to reclaim $48K soon though. Closing back above the 200 Day MA @ $47,774 would be a good start.

Otherwise with price getting rejected by $48K as is currently the case it opens the door for $46K and lower. At least the end of the week is still to play for.
Am losing my mid-term bullish bias now that $49K support didn't hold and high volume selling has returned to the market though.
Long-term trend remains up but the short-term recovery was nothing more than a dead cat bounce for now.

As much as I prefer my bullishness (only for reasons of greed lol), I think your theory holds more water.  And the volume is just not coming yet.  We could certainly be on a dead cat, and it could be 2023 before we start to see it turn around.

I ihopnesatly think we are seeing the bitcoin market transform from the super swingy land of the first decade into something different.  And there are most likely some big swings left... but I really thing everyone expecting the last 3 cycles to somehow repeat to be in general error.  SO MUCH really is different this time.

I did find that interview.  I am not going to rewind to where O'dell make a complete fool of himself (Somewhere in this area I typed that much into the chart, but not sure when lol).  But Tina makes a really good case for what could really be happening this cycle.  And he looks pretty good in retrospect.

https://youtu.be/rU6A7ao0xqA?t=7988
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 4133

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 06:27:16 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1), JayJuanGee (1), Wekkel (1)

All of this angst is driven by the fact that We are talking about predictions tied to an arbitrary date.  This always irritates me a little.  The human tendency to group things into calendar years.

I DO think that Bitcoin might be following one sort of prediction that I have frequently cited (not my fav, but that is entirely driven bny what is in my bags).  The idea of diminishing returns over time... dragonvslinux  mentions it just a few posts up.  The idea that as the asset matures the returns will diminish.  Also DavetheWave's position.  And that theory will have won him a substantial bet with PlanB in a few days.

I personally STILL think we have at least a minor "S Curve" event in our future.  There just has to be a moment when the masses begin to realize that Bitcoin is not going away and people start piling in.  It's like the see-saw tipping point.  a 'gradually, then suddenly' event.

And if I have EVER suggested this would happen before the end of a calendar year I want to be BAT SLAPPED.

I even think the time will eventually come where the "Bitcoin 4 year cycle" falls away.  I have wondered if we would see it this cycle, begin to change.  And I think the jury i s still out on that one.  And there are several ways that could begin to happen... including a big double (or triple?)  set of peaks during THIS cycle, or perhaps a bull run INTO the next halving.

I just think tying things to year end is silly.  Well, except for the fact that people DO THAT which makes it a self fulfilling prophecy.  As well as various fiscal year motivators, like selling or buying before the end of a tax year.  

Anyway.  I remain bullish.  And I think there is a significant chance we have not seen the end of Bitcoin's rise.  After all it does not care one whit what year it is.  It only cares that the next block is a ridiculously small random number.

Bit in bold - I definitely agree with this.  I have posted about it a number of times, e.g. here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5375808.0 - if you consider that the vast majority of he total supply has already been mined (90% right now) then the quantity of bitcoin that will be influenced by each halving becomes vanishingly small: this epoch started with 88% already mined and only ~6% will be mined in the epoch, i.e. before the next halving in c. 2024.  The next halving the numbers are 94% and 3%.

I've been playing around with a good way to visualise this, and this is the best I have come up with so far, each band shows the percentage of the total supply issued in each epoch, orange at the bottom is the 50% issued from Genesis to the first halving, green at the top is what will be issued in the next epoch, etc.. Everything below the blue band is already mined, and we are maybe a third into the blue band:

While your Bitcoin Emission Schedule visualization is a great idea in principle, your execution can be misleading in terms of amount of coins added in each 4-year Halving period, by extending the corresponding regions past their respective Halving periods.

I have modified your visualization, by making the colored region areas proportional to the coins mined in the corresponding Halving periods, resulting in the visualization shown below. The "diminishing returns over time" concept is still there (obviously), but it is now more accurately depicted, and hence not as dramatic as yours.

serveria.com
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1172

Privacy Servers. Since 2009.

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2021, 06:30:52 PM

Some HODLing motivation quotes from our old friend:

Grin
tertius993

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 06:42:56 PM

I DO think that Bitcoin might be following one sort of prediction that I have frequently cited (not my fav, but that is entirely driven bny what is in my bags).  The idea of diminishing returns over time... dragonvslinux  mentions it just a few posts up.  The idea that as the asset matures the returns will diminish.  Also DavetheWave's position.  And that theory will have won him a substantial bet with PlanB in a few days.

Bit in bold - I definitely agree with this.  I have posted about it a number of times, e.g. here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5375808.0 - if you consider that the vast majority of he total supply has already been mined (90% right now) then the quantity of bitcoin that will be influenced by each halving becomes vanishingly small: this epoch started with 88% already mined and only ~6% will be mined in the epoch, i.e. before the next halving in c. 2024.  The next halving the numbers are 94% and 3%.

While your Bitcoin Emission Schedule visualization is a great idea in principle, your execution can be misleading in terms of amount of coins added in each 4-year Halving period, by extending the corresponding regions past their respective Halving periods.

I have modified your visualization, by making the colored region areas proportional to the coins mined in the corresponding Halving periods, resulting in the visualization shown below. The "diminishing returns over time" concept is still there (obviously), but it is now more accurately depicted, and hence not as dramatic as yours.

Yes,  see what you mean though the idea with the chart was to read it in vertical “slices” - at any date you could see what coins came from which epoch.

However I did another version posted above using a pie chart style that has the right proportions of yours and I hope captures the rapid slowing in production rate.
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 2993

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 06:53:53 PM

"Don't Look Up" - look it up on Netflix, best movie since Idiocracy IMO. Made well enough so that anyone can think "nah, I'm not that stupid, this is about all those other people". Bitcoin gets honorable mention too.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357

Watched it yesterday, i give it a 8/10 on the OOM movie score  Grin

As for the BTC price action: Just sit tight and assess  Cool
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 07:01:28 PM

Explanation
serveria.com
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1172

Privacy Servers. Since 2009.

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2021, 07:04:04 PM

I had another go at visualising the emission schedule, 97% will be mined in the first 20 years, the remaining 3% will take over 100 years ...

So basically this means that at some point the amount of coins mined and sold on exchanges won't be sufficient and the price will go up. Supply shock is real. And the best thing: the longer the price will stay down, the higher will be the price hodlers will be ready to part from their precious coins at. And the higher the price will climb. It's like those who were ready to sell some part of their stashes at $100k won't be willing to sell at the same price in 2023 for example. They will be expecting at least $200k.

So it's going to happen like: price goes up to $100k are we ready to sell? NOT! Price is heading higher. Willing to sell at $120? NADA! Going higher... the coins are just not available on exchanges... $150k? Still no! Moar UP. At $200k some retail investors and/or small to average mining operations may start to sell...  but not Saylor/Graycale kind of guys obviously. All of the above is SOMA.  Grin
Biodom
Legendary

Merit: 3843

View Profile
December 29, 2021, 07:17:15 PM

"Don't Look Up" - look it up on Netflix, best movie since Idiocracy IMO. Made well enough so that anyone can think "nah, I'm not that stupid, this is about all those other people". Bitcoin gets honorable mention too.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357

Watched it yesterday, i give it a 8/10 on the OOM movie score  Grin

As for the BTC price action: Just sit tight and assess  Cool

I initially considered it as 8.5, but the credits scene kind of dump it to 8 for me as well Wink
JL dropped 5-10 lb through the movie..so the movie story line (minor spoiler: her character was on a diet) imitated rl in this particular instance.
Timothy C. was cool, Jonah Hill-hilarious.
Pages: « 1 ... 29885 29886 29887 29888 29889 29890 29891 29892 29893 29894 29895 29896 29897 29898 29899 29900 29901 29902 29903 29904 29905 29906 29907 29908 29909 29910 29911 29912 29913 29914 29915 29916 29917 29918 29919 29920 29921 29922 29923 29924 29925 29926 29927 29928 29929 29930 29931 29932 29933 29934 [29935] 29936 29937 29938 29939 29940 29941 29942 29943 29944 29945 29946 29947 29948 29949 29950 29951 29952 29953 29954 29955 29956 29957 29958 29959 29960 29961 29962 29963 29964 29965 29966 29967 29968 29969 29970 29971 29972 29973 29974 29975 29976 29977 29978 29979 29980 29981 29982 29983 29984 29985 ... 33295 »
  Print  

Jump to: