Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:27:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Data Center Mining Garage and Man Mining Cave ( PART 2 !!!!!!!!)  (Read 106652 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 06:12:12 AM

room temperature at midday from 46C+ drop to 43C still not good enough, and i am still working on it

You need real fans.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1953898.0

I don't see any real fans in that thread

Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 10:03:36 PM

Does anyone know how far away an ethernet cable needs to be from a power line in order to not have interference?  There is a power line running across our driveway from the house to barn that provides a 100 Amp service in that building. We are going to run an exterior grade ethernet line out there from the house in order to have internet in our recently renovated mining room (former tool and work room). I know we can't just wrap around the power lines, and have galvanized steel cable being picked up today to stretch the ethernet line across the driveway.... how far away does the ethernet need to be from the power line? I'm guessing a foot would be plenty, but I don't know for sure so I'm asking for input from anyone with experience doing something similar.

It's this Cat5 line, since it's shielded I believe it could even be within a few inches of the power line? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B6C5H8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
olaf_d

Activity: 76
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 11:14:21 PM

Does anyone know how far away an ethernet cable needs to be from a power line in order to not have interference?  There is a power line running across our driveway from the house to barn that provides a 100 Amp service in that building. We are going to run an exterior grade ethernet line out there from the house in order to have internet in our recently renovated mining room (former tool and work room). I know we can't just wrap around the power lines, and have galvanized steel cable being picked up today to stretch the ethernet line across the driveway.... how far away does the ethernet need to be from the power line? I'm guessing a foot would be plenty, but I don't know for sure so I'm asking for input from anyone with experience doing something similar.

It's this Cat5 line, since it's shielded I believe it could even be within a few inches of the power line? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B6C5H8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, even just a few inches away will be fine. The CAT5 for my internet that goes from the street to my house (overhead service) for the 200A service is strung right along with the power lines. The maximum distance they are apart is at the middle of the run and that puts maybe 6" between the two.
Mister305

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2017, 10:24:30 PM

How are people able to get more electricity than what the state allows? I am in Florida and was informed I can only get 200 Amp to the house .
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 10:29:02 PM

How are people able to get more electricity than what the state allows? I am in Florida and was informed I can only get 200 Amp to the house .
Residential areas often have different rates and service than commercial tiers.
Elder III

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 01:07:45 AM

It depends on your local laws and how robust the city power grid is in many cases. We live out in the country so we have quite a bit more freedom with things like that. If everything stays this good for mining we may consider adding another 200 amp service in the barn next year or maybe the year after.  I'd really like to put solar panels in, but that takes a hefty chunk of change up front.
bulgar73

Activity: 128
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 03:02:36 AM

Do you know where can I buy risers in Europe, even better southern Europe? And also does @Finksy send his PSU to this part of Europe and how much will that be? Or is there someone similar to him who sells similar PSU's?

risers from EU:  https://mineshop.eu/cables

good quality, quick shipment..... Smiley

BTC
BeyondDeception

Activity: 80

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 05:49:41 PM

So much great information! I just wish I could scale up fast enough. I only have 4 1/2 machines (one with 3 gpus), and I so badly want to scale up, but of course it all boils down to money. And getting parts!? I can't find any video cards, ug! There's so much money to be made, it's crazy.

You guys have some ridiculous setups!!! I really appreciate this thread, because I really don't want to learn mistakes the hard way.

As someone just trying to get up and running, I have to take the cheapest route possible until I can afford racks, etc. What are some of my best options? Of course, video cards are a little expensive, but on average what do you guys spend on parts for one machine - minus gpus?

I'll have about 12K to spend fairly soon, and I really want to stretch my money as far as I can without buying shit parts that will cause me more headache in the long run. I know 12K to some of you isn't that much, but it's a huge step for me. And now seeing this thread, I know I spent way too much on my first 4 1/2 machines.

I'm in it for the long haul for several reasons.

- I believe, truly believe in decentralized currency. I'm a libertarian (and veteran) and to me it's vitally important that currencies are decentralized.
- I want to use this as springboard to bigger and better things such as possibly creating a cryptocurrency that is for the betterment of mankind. I'm a realist and an idealist. The world is not in a good place and it's easy to blame people, it's harder to take responsibility for the world being the way it is. I share in that responsibility and I share in fault. It's time I did something about it.
- I'm a geek at heart, I always have been. I love tech.
- I want to be part of the movement. I am all in, which means I need a long term exit plan for my current full time job. To me, mining is just the beginning. There's so much more to it. The possibilities are really endless.

There are lots of other reasons, but these are among my top.

At any rate, I'm new to the community, but I'm not going anywhere and any advice would be helpful. Cheap motherboards, memory, video cards, advice, great websites, etc. anything to keep it on the cheap. I'm trying to scale up as quick as I can, and I know I'm spending more than I should be.

Thanks in advance...
BeyondDeception

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 05:52:57 PM

Do you know where can I buy risers in Europe, even better southern Europe? And also does @Finksy send his PSU to this part of Europe and how much will that be? Or is there someone similar to him who sells similar PSU's?

risers from EU:  https://mineshop.eu/cables

good quality, quick shipment..... Smiley

BTC

Has anyone tried the 1PCIE to 3PCIE card? With this card - do you still run into a max of 6 or 7 gpus per motherboard?
pchampn

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 11:22:58 PM

photo your stove plug post it.

also tell us your circuit beaker size for the stove.

I will give you links

Thanks. Planning to start with dryer outlet. Then stovexlater if/when I run out of watt capacity.

Stove- 40A:
https://imgur.com/a/fRfJQ

Dryer- 20A:
https://imgur.com/a/NmQSO

Would like to go from these to a to a bunch of NEMA 5-15.  I'm using off the shelf HomeKit smart plugs to monitor energy usage and switch things on and off. (They are rated at 240V). But that's not a requirement.

you could buy these right now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-of-2-Dell-0TP065-Switched-Rack-PDU-Power-Distribution-Units-/122322455260?

the plugs come off with a screwdriver .  

they are a great price.  35 for the 2

I still need to find you replacement plugs that match the outlets.

home depot or lowes should have them

Hello philipma1957: I found your advice quite interesting. I plan to run couple of 6X RX 580 rigs at home and have access to one "NEMA type 10-30R" 220V dryer outlet. Do you think I can use it to power two rigs, each drawing 1000-1200 Watts?

Let me know, if you need more info to answer my question.

Thanks!
Elder III

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 12:51:22 AM

photo your stove plug post it.

also tell us your circuit beaker size for the stove.

I will give you links

Thanks. Planning to start with dryer outlet. Then stovexlater if/when I run out of watt capacity.

Stove- 40A:

Dryer- 20A:

Would like to go from these to a to a bunch of NEMA 5-15.  I'm using off the shelf HomeKit smart plugs to monitor energy usage and switch things on and off. (They are rated at 240V). But that's not a requirement.

you could buy these right now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-of-2-Dell-0TP065-Switched-Rack-PDU-Power-Distribution-Units-/122322455260?

the plugs come off with a screwdriver .  

they are a great price.  35 for the 2

I still need to find you replacement plugs that match the outlets.

home depot or lowes should have them

Hello philipma1957: I found your advice quite interesting. I plan to run couple of 6X RX 580 rigs at home and have access to one "NEMA type 10-30R" 220V dryer outlet. Do you think I can use it to power two rigs, each drawing 1000-1200 Watts?

Let me know, if you need more info to answer my question.

Thanks!

If that dryer plug is on a 30 amp circuit (sounds like it is based on that outlet being 10-30R) you would have 7200 watts on that line, with the safety rule of 80% that gives you 5760 watts to use. If you get a PDU to fit that outlet you could have up to 5 rigs running at 1000+ watts each.
onefinecoin

Activity: 94

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 08:23:39 PM

Hey @BeyondDeception !!

Just wanted to give you a thumbs up !

Our long term plans and intentions are very similar, whats even more similar is that I am at 4 and half rig too  Grin Grin Grin
soulmachine

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 12:58:18 AM

@yun9999 what kind of 42u server rack cabinet are you using ? Is it this one  StarTech.com Open Frame Server Rack Cabinet 4POSTRACK42 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVKOPBW/ ?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31BbT53i7AL.jpg

Any standard 42U Server Rack will work.  Not AV Rack, server racks.  I have both Dell and HP Racks.  The rack you're showing seem very weak with little support on the side, most likely best used for lighter AV equipment then servers.

Got it, thanks!
Storx

Activity: 322
Merit: 233

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 05:18:36 AM

Hey Yun9999,

I just want to thank you for your vast amount of knowledge and tips/tricks you have posted in this post and your part 1. I finally got around to reading the entire thing and i kinda wish i did from the start when i was researching GPU mining 2 weeks ago.... I kinda already made a few mistakes that might cost me some money i didnt need to spend.. but oh well we all learn from our mistakes....

I am currently running 4 GTX 1080ti's mining, have 2 sitting on my desk waiting to mine and 2 more on the way i bought lastnight to fill a rig im building this week....

In the short amount of time mining with them my watercooled pc maintains 38c and has been super stable... literally been mining with it the last 7 days straight on zpool.....my 2nd pc which has 2 air cooled cards in it has been a heart ache, has capacity of 7 cards on mobo, its my old gaming rig i retired in January... but i for the life of me cant get any of the risers to work on the mobo.. just so annoyed with it, sent the first brand back to amazon, ordered brand 2, they didnt work, yesterday i got brand 3 and still no luck.. so its only running 2 GPU's and im already seeing the issues with running it on air i have had to restart the computer and miner a handful of times already in the short amount of time its been in service.. so i have been looking into ways to cool things better because i have been running this computer in my friends garage, since i live in a condo and dont really have the ability to scale more than a few rigs... so i decided to torture test it in his garage in the sunny florida and the temps have been suffer on the hashrates during the day due to thermal throttling even with running it at 65%tdp and less...before actually reading your post i did order a rosewill l4500 4u case like you use.. unfortunate the estimate from newegg on shipping it is the 2nd week of July... i think you bought all of them Smiley

A quick possible low costly mistake i made 2 days ago was order a refurbished dell t-series server workstation for $160. I was doing research and found a posting of a guy who mined with 300+ GPU's and the way he cheaply scaled his setup was with a bunch of the T-series rigs at first, because they either come with dual xeon cpu, 8gb ram, 4 PCIe mobo or the 5PCIe mobo and a 875watt power supply with a copy of windows 10pro.... i ordered it because literally every combination of cheap mobo/cpu i would lookup on newegg was either shipping out like a month from now or out of stock.. so i kinda purchased it out of not wanting to wait and it will be here tuesday, since ordering it i have found out that the 4 x 8 plugs it uses on the PSU for pcie expansion are PEG 8 pin (sigh).. which is kinda annoying as i need to either buy adapters or cut them off and re-pin them for 6+2 connectors... currently the power reported used on my 4 gtx1080tis with the tdp settings im using is around 550watts, but just to make sure id be covered i went ahead and bought a EVGA 1300 watt PSU as a just in case if needed PSU.. this purchase was to get my 2 spare cards up and running making me money, and since i will have 2 extra slots or possibly 3, i went ahead and bought 2 more cards last night to fill the rig to 4 to bring my total mining to 8 once its up and running...

Im seriously doing a lot of research into the possibility of scaling up from 8 and im debating between 3 ways and i wanted to get your input on cooling them...

idea 1: would be a similar idea to your shed build, but the setup would be slightly altered to use closed off spaces.. im really liking the idea of using the server cases to keep hot air from recirculating, so i was thinking of building a shed with a hollow wall inside on the side the exhaust fans are at, this would act as a giant duct/space to direct the hot air out of the shed... i could build the wall out the full length of the one side or build it in sections and as i build 4U case builds i can basically unscrew the plywood section for that chamber leading up and cut off sections as i add more rigs and just slide the case into its spot and screw back the wall plywood to seal off the area, this would keep the hot air in the back of the server case trapped in a small area and the fans you posted would act as a vacuum source to suck it out of the shed, then fresh air would enter the front of the case... I could build the entire setup out of cheaper wood instead of buying the sexy server frame boxes like you have and just paint them with fire resistant paint..

Idea 2: This idea is kinda an odd one, when i searching the internet i came across a small 18 gpu setup a guy designed that sounds logical, but at the same time im kinda unsure on.. i may buy some stuff to test it on a small scale with a 2 card rig for concept... basically the guy used like i think 4/5 inch pvc pipe that ran above each shelf of his shelving above the motherboard, basically he cut small holes big enough for him to slide the gpu and riser card inside sitting it on its side with the fans facing upwards inside this pvc pipe and then just taped up the hole sealing the card off inside the pvc pipe.. He had 6 GPU's running the length of the pipe. The pipe with the GPU's inside had a stack of 2 like 140mm or 180mm fans at the end of the pipe blowing air into the pipe across all the GPU's, then the other end of the pipe ran into a T fitting into a vertical pipe which ran up and over to a window in his garage to exhaust the air... the guy had 18 GPU's running in this system claiming to be able to maintain around 60c with ambient temp air... but the poster never added anymore info after his initial build since 2014... the concept seems logical in a way to be honest...

Idea 3: This one is the most expensive to do upfront, but could be rewarding if it allows me to mine with the GPU's for much long period of time... Since playing around with my gaming rig with gpu minig, i have greatly loved the silence and amazingly low GPU temps my loop can maintain cooling 2 x gtx1080ti's with an external Phobia 1080mm radiator mounted on the wall under my desk on a french cleat with spacing for air flow for fans... the system just seems sooooo stable and runs so much smoother due to the low temps on the actual GPU's... The costly part is buying a waterblock for every single card, but im unsure how far i could go on a single water loop before the amount of GPU's causes the loop temps to be to high... and im unsure if its worth the extra expense if as a miner you rotate your cards every year or 2.. being new these are questions im unaware of... since im sticking to the GTX1080ti theme right now, i have noticed i can purchase 5 different 1080ti's that come already watercooled from the manufacture for around $800/ea, which is cheaper than buying the waterblocks seperately, but there is the possibility of getting a bulk discount if i can talk ekwb into selling them to me at a volume rate... the pump and radiator could be the easy thing... i can either go water to air and use something like a car/semi radiator outside the shed or do water to water like the btc miner in California in the news who stuck his water cooling radiators in his pool, the pool water soaked up the heat

- GPUs Mining : 128 (Updated 3/7/18) // CPUs Mining : 19 (Updated 2/23/18)
BeyondDeception

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 05:23:44 PM

Hey @BeyondDeception !!

Just wanted to give you a thumbs up !

Our long term plans and intentions are very similar, whats even more similar is that I am at 4 and half rig too  Grin Grin Grin

That's pretty funny...lol Thumbs up to you too brotha.We like minded need to stick together! It's more than about just money for me - it's the bigger picture, as I'm sure you completely get.

daadog

Activity: 107

SHPING Presale:22-31 JAN / Crowdsale:22 FEB-23 MAR

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 07:02:49 PM

Hi, does anyone know if the 1200w EVGA P2 is enough to power 6x 570 Sapphire Radeon nitro+ 8gb ?

Or is there a better psu to go for? What?

SHPING | | A cryptocurrency for shopper marketing and rewards
Token Sale | | Bitcointalk ANN | | Bounty Program | | Telegram
PRESALE: 22 - 31 Jan | | CROWDSALE: 22 Feb - 23 Mar
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 07:14:43 PM

Hi, does anyone know if the 1200w EVGA P2 is enough to power 6x 570 Sapphire Radeon nitro+ 8gb ?

Or is there a better psu to go for? What?

Yes, good choice. You are looking at somewhere around 750W - 900W depending if you dual mine and undervolt the cards.
topgeek

Activity: 96

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 08:21:17 PM

Thank you for all of the work you've put into this thread - it is truly inspirational!

Please allow me a noob question regarding the use of the Server PSUs in conjunction with ATX psus...

I have read in several threads on this forum that when you are using two PSUs you are supposed to power the risers from the same powersupply as the motherboard.

In some of the posts above I see you are using 6 pin pci risers and powering both the riser and the gpu's pci's from the server power supplies - which looks like a great solution!

Is this not an issue as the risers have no "power association" with the motherboard?

(I understand the pico solution from the same psu to power the motherboard avoids this issue - but what about the earlier posts pre-pico where an ATX psu was used for the MB/SSD/etc)

cheers and thanks in advance,
Ed
Marvell1
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1102

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 04:49:09 AM

you can get 200 amp to your garage , they cant stop that

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 04:51:33 AM

you can get 200 amp to your garage , they cant stop that

200 amps is already huuuge ...

the key thing is get those amps compatible with 220-240v instead of US default 110v

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: