Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:18:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 [760] 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 ... 814 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2591613 times)
veqtrus

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2017, 04:20:55 PM

Also, it will make it cheaper to run a p2pool node, and help p2pool scale.

IMHO to help p2pool scale there should be one or several simple but useful HOWTOs on p2pool node deployment, and these HOWTOs should be constantly kept up-to-date by their maintainers. So every newcomer will be able to deploy a p2pool node completely by himself.

Just my two cents.  Smiley

If anyone feels inclined to write such a guide I'd be happy to host it on p2pool.org...

I wrote one specifically for vertcoin (for a bounty) so it could be adapted: https://gist.github.com/veqtrus/e2b7c34d9c8b3ad285209ae1b13ca2b2

P2Pool donation button | Bitrated user: veqtrus.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
flameruk

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2017, 04:21:24 PM

IMHO to help p2pool scale there should be one or several simple but useful HOWTOs on p2pool node deployment, and these HOWTOs should be constantly kept up-to-date by their maintainers. So every newcomer will be able to deploy a p2pool node completely by himself.

Yes agree.
I followed the on line linux guide for Ubuntu and gave up.
Went back to Centos and did it in a few hours via command prompt.
I've used Centos for years and don't get on with Ubuntu.

I would have to re work everything but I thought of writing a bash script to download and do everything.
Load Centos, run the script away you go.
Then some might moan and say it's not trusted etc etc so others would need to verify the script and vouch for it.
Could be a new project to keep me out of trouble?

Find my P2POOL node at www.ukp2pool.uk:9332

Donations for operating node?
BTC  1CYevtGy3aqr1reuq7CFceNFAT7snsz3VM
m_a17

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2017, 10:57:48 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2017, 11:10:21 PM by m_a17

Block! Smiley
  https://blockchain.info/block/000000000000000001d23d06a74cfc8f136bbfa4efc568b108a78a8f520493a3
 !!  Grin  Grin
davidadrake

Activity: 41

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 03:46:47 AM

Yes agree.

I would have to re work everything but I thought of writing a bash script to download and do everything.
Then some might moan and say it's not trusted etc etc so others would need to verify the script and vouch for it.

With Ubuntu, in addition to what is stated in the p2pool GitHub readme, the following needed to be installed: python-dev lib32ncurses5-dev libffi-dev libssl-dev. I actually installed many more packages on previous installations, but on my last one I documented what I installed and whether it helped with errors during make.

This was very difficult to figure out how to install and run p2pool, especially since I have had no Linux exposure before. It shouldn't have been that difficult, and it presents a serious barrier for p2pool.
in2tactics

Activity: 578
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 04:47:10 AM

If anyone feels inclined to write such a guide I'd be happy to host it on p2pool.org...
I already have a simple Debian based step-by-step that can be included if you want. I use it whenever I do a fresh install for my p2pool node. It includes installing all required packages, compiling bitcoind to include options for --disable-wallet and --without-gui, creating a bootstrap file the official way using linearize, creating a simple script for starting p2pool with options such as a manually specified payout address, and configuring some basic options for bitcoin.conf.

Yes agree.

With regard to OS consideration, I have the following to say: CentOS... Meh, Ubuntu... Yuck, Windows... Crazy, and Debian... Winner! Tongue

Current HW: 2x Apollo
Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
leri4

Activity: 6

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2017, 05:22:23 AM

I already have a simple Debian based step-by-step that can be included if you want. I use it whenever I do a fresh install for my p2pool node. It includes installing all required packages, compiling bitcoind to include options for --disable-wallet and --without-gui, creating a bootstrap file the official way using linearize, creating a simple script for starting p2pool with options such as a manually specified payout address, and configuring some basic options for bitcoin.conf.

With regard to OS consideration, I have the following to say: CentOS... Meh, Ubuntu... Yuck, Windows... Crazy, and Debian... Winner! Tongue

Also like Debian, but I could not adjust. Where can I see your instructions to try again.
flameruk

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2017, 01:36:28 PM

Just my two cents.  Smiley

Yes agree.

I started out life on DOS and 3+Share many moons ago and then spent some time with Mac and Windows.
We moved all our back office to Linux about 14 years ago and the first server came with Centos.
I've never fired a Debian disto up in my life but you know what I might take a look.
Just I've learned so much about Centos the last few years sometimes better the devil you know.

veqtrus

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2017, 06:28:57 PM

This misaligned incentive can be fixed by weighting shares by their difficulty times the block reward they would have generated. Pretty simple. As it affects payment calculations, which need to be precise down to the satoshi, t's a completely backwards-incompatible change, but that's something I want for this fork anyway. Yay!

I can't wait to exploit this! Grin P2Pool doesn't validate the block reward because of the significant resource usage of querying the UTXO set so it relies on miner honesty. I guess while hardcoding the new txns/share size limit to 1MB I could also hardcode the reward to 10M BTC! Let the free market decide!

in2tactics

Activity: 578
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 07:58:55 AM

Here is a rough version of my step-by-step guide for p2pool on Debian. I have attempted to improve the readability of what I originally intended to be notes to myself. Fair warning, it may still be hard to read. I did leave out a section I had on using the official linearize tool for creating blockchain bootstrap files as it is not directly related to the setup process.

Installing Debian is fairly straight forward and there are plenty of youtube videos for specific help so I will only detail a few notes. When you get to the "Software selection" menu, you can safely deselect all packages except "standard system utilities" as it includes utilities required to complete this guide. I recommend that you also select "SSH server" as it provides remote login capability. If you absolutely must have a GUI, you can select "Debian desktop environment", but remember to select at least one of the window managers such as "MATE".

This guide works primarily from the users home directory, but it can be changed at the users discretion. Additionally, for speed and security, this guide does not use a wallet on bitcoind and requires you to provide addresses from an external wallet.

Code:
//install debian

//login to root

//install sudo and add your user name (you should never use root when you can sudo)
apt-get install sudo
adduser YOURUSERNAME sudo

//logout of root

//login to YOURUSERNAME

//make a backup of sources.list before you edit it
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bkp

//add "contrib non-free" to each line in sources.list that starts with deb or deb-src after "main" so that it reads as "main contrib non-free"
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

//update apt
sudo apt-get update

//install bitcoind prerequisite packages
sudo apt-get install git
sudo apt-get install build-essential libtool autotools-dev automake pkg-config libssl-dev libevent-dev bsdmainutils
sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev
sudo apt-get install libminiupnpc-dev

//clone your favorite bitcoin software via ONE of the following commands
git clone https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin
git clone https://github.com/bitcoinclassic/bitcoinclassic
git clone https://github.com/bitcoinunlimited/bitcoinunlimited

//change directory to the bitcoin software directory and configure and make bitcoin
cd bitcoin/bitcoin
./autogen.sh
./configure --disable-wallet --without-gui
make -j3
sudo make install

//change directory back to home directory and launch bitcoind
cd
bitcoind -daemon

//change directory to .bitcoin directory and edit bitcoin.conf to setup rpc and optimum tx values
cd .bitcoin
nano bitcoin.conf

//add the following lines, but you can use whatever "rpcuser" and "rpcpassword" you desire
//and you can set set "mintxfee" and "minrelaytxfee" to optimum values at your discretion
daemon=1
server=1
rpcuser=bitcoinrpc
rpcpassword=YOURPASSWORDHERE
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=8332
blockmaxsize=1000000
mintxfee=0.00001
minrelaytxfee=0.00001

//change directory back to home directory
cd

//install p2pool prerequisite packages
sudo apt-get install python-twisted python-argparse
sudo apt-get install curl
sudo apt-get install ncurses-dev
sudo apt-get install libffi-dev

//clone p2pool software
git clone https://github.com/forrestv/p2pool

//change directory to the p2pool software directory
cd p2pool

//OPTIONAL if you are using bitcoinclassic or bitcoinunlimited you can signal block version preference
//by editing line 372 of work.py and changing the block version from 0x20000000 to 0x30000000
nano ~/p2pool/p2pool/work.py

//make p2pool
make

//change directory back to home directory
cd

//create script to start p2pool with user settings
nano p2pool-start.sh

//add the below lines to p2pool-start.sh, but change donation percentages in --give-author and --fee to desired values
#!/bin/bash
python ~/p2pool/run_p2pool.py --give-author 1 --fee 1 --address YOURADDRESSHERE

//make p2pool-start.sh executable
chmod 755 p2pool-start.sh

//run p2pool
./p2pool-start.sh

//enable port forwarding on your router for ports 9333, 9332, and 8333 to your server

Current HW: 2x Apollo
Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
flameruk

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2017, 05:34:15 PM

I got round to sorting my ICMP ping today on the firewall but it seems the p2Pool node scanners are not working.
Well at least the 2 I tried.
Anyone check them and see if it's a problem with my PC please?

tubexc

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 09:13:39 PM

I got round to sorting my ICMP ping today on the firewall but it seems the p2Pool node scanners are not working.

http://p2pool.co/ Domain Suspension
http://poolnode.info/ all blank
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2017, 10:20:20 PM

I've been working on a new scanner for p2pool.org, it's very close to ready. Tomorrow evening or maybe Monday it will be live, heres a preview:

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 10:55:45 PM

veqtrus

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2017, 01:14:15 AM

This misaligned incentive can be fixed by weighting shares by their difficulty times the block reward they would have generated. Pretty simple. As it affects payment calculations, which need to be precise down to the satoshi, t's a completely backwards-incompatible change, but that's something I want for this fork anyway. Yay!

I can't wait to exploit this! Grin P2Pool doesn't validate the block reward because of the significant resource usage of querying the UTXO set so it relies on miner honesty. I guess while hardcoding the new txns/share size limit to 1MB I could also hardcode the reward to 10M BTC! Let the free market decide!

I mined a share with almost 10M BTC in fees, WHY AM I NOT COMPENSATED PROPERLY??? /s

flameruk

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2017, 06:39:43 AM

I've been working on a new scanner for p2pool.org, it's very close to ready. Tomorrow evening or maybe Monday it will be live, heres a preview:

That's looking great be good to see it in action!

jtoomim

Activity: 818
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2017, 11:28:18 AM

P2Pool doesn't validate the block reward because of the significant resource usage of querying the UTXO set so it relies on miner honesty.
Thank you for pointing that out. While the attack you implemented could be defended against by checking all transactions to see if they're in bitcoind's mempool, and if they're not, passing the transaction to bitcoind for validation (thereby incurring the tx validation cost in the critical path only for rare cases when the transaction is heard through a share before bitcoind has received it), and then checking that the coinbase reward is no more than the sum of the transaction fees and the block subsidy, but you're right that this proposed change increases the attack surface area too much for now.

At some time in the future, transaction fees will exceed the block subsidy, and we will likely need to have p2pool shares be weighted by fees at that time to keep the incentives aligned properly. However, it seems to make only a 1% difference in the reward assigned per user right now, this change is probably premature at the moment.

Hosting bitcoin miners for $65 to $80/kW/month on clean, cheap hydro power.
http://Toom.im
squidicuz

Activity: 58

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 03:31:52 PM

https://i.imgur.com/dIlUJtR.jpg

That's looking great be good to see it in action!

Cool, I cant wait!  It seems all the other scanners have given up :\
windpath
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2017, 05:08:37 PM

The new node scanner is live!

http://p2pool.org/stats/node_scanner.php

It's different from previous scanners in that they only included peers the node had seen and stored, this version actually crawls from peer to peer checking each of a given peers peers to build a complete picture of the network, I'll update the network visualization next week to include the real time data.

veqtrus

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2017, 09:31:43 PM

It's Get Block Template (GBT) not Get Work Template.

windpath
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2017, 09:40:36 PM

Fixed Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 [760] 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 ... 814 »
  Print  

Jump to: