Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:38:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 181 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Klondike - 16 chip ASIC Open Source Board - Preliminary  (Read 435330 times)
Knecke

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:19:40 PM

first sample chips should appear in the next few days i think.

First order from zefir was April 16. Four weeks have passed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:43:50 PM

BKK, you are a God! You continue to amaze me. Most of this stuff is completely over my head, but I understand just enough of it to recognize your genius! My hat is off to you, sir!  Smiley

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
TomKeddie

Activity: 176

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:47:59 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 04:02:13 PM by TomKeddie

I'm using a single NOR gate on the REPORT_N / _P outputs. This combines the two data signals to extract a separate CLK. I use the EUSART on the PIC in Synchronous Slave Mode.

Very clever, I like it.  The report pins aren't cascaded, is there 8 EUSARTs on the PIC you've chosen?

(In case you're unaware it is fairly common for more than one solution to exist, I've seen four solutions from the same piece of work - sorry my sha terminology is busted, I hope that makes sense).
steamboat

Activity: 648
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:18:47 PM

I am speaking with manufacturers to have heatsinks made for the Klondike board. Having heatsinks made is going to be less expensive than purchasing and modifying any current solution. I need to know who is planning on purchasing boards, what quantity, and whether or not they would want a heatsink.

Specs are:
100x100x25mm
3mm base
1mm fins
2mm spacing
6000 series aluminum
4 mounting holes drilled, located in center of each 4 chip group.
Flat base/underside

This is a one time deal. Enough heatsinks need to be purchased to cover all the boards, with a few extra. Purchasing additional heatsinks in low quantity will be prohibitively expensive. These heatsinks will not be made available to the general public. They will only be made available to those offering bulk purchasing as I cannot sell these piecemeal. I will be offering as part of a package to those who purchase chips through me.

Group buy coordinators, Large private buyers, and Klondike resellers need to contact me ASAP.

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
shapemaker

Activity: 238

I run Linux on my abacus.

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:26:29 PM

I am speaking with manufacturers to have heatsinks made for the Klondike board. Having heatsinks made is going to be less expensive than purchasing and modifying any current solution. I need to know who is planning on purchasing boards, what quantity, and whether or not they would want a heatsink.

Specs are:
100x100x25mm
3mm base
1mm fins
2mm spacing
6000 series aluminum
Flat base/underside

This is a one time deal. Enough heatsinks need to be purchased to cover all the boards, with a few extra. Purchasing additional heatsinks in low quantity will be prohibitively expensive. These heatsinks will not be made available to the general public. They will only be made available to those offering bulk purchasing as I cannot sell these piecemeal. I will be offering as part of a package to those who purchase chips through me.

Group buy coordinators, Large private buyers, and Klondike resellers need to contact me ASAP.

You might want to start a separate thread about this tbh. Should get more visibility that way.

Shut up and give me money: 115UAYWLPTcRQ2hrT7VNo84SSFE5nT5ozo
steamboat

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:30:30 PM

Specs are:
100x100x25mm
3mm base
1mm fins
2mm spacing
6000 series aluminum
Flat base/underside

You might want to start a separate thread about this tbh. Should get more visibility that way.

I was trying to control the amount of thread I have to manage, but I suppose you're right.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 04:47:26 PM

The most preferred option for me would be to buy the boards fully assembled with all needed stickers and heatsink to get importet into EU. So that i only have to add the ASIC's myself.

I think you would struggle to solder the asics with the heatsinks installed, the solder won't melt.

I believe the heatsinks arent part of the possible assembly that was spoken about by bkkcoins. The heatsinks anyway would be put onto with thermal compound. So that one could get the assembled boards, maybe even with heatsinks together in a set, then solder the asics on it and then put the heatsinks on it. Would that work?

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
steamboat

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:56:20 PM

The most preferred option for me would be to buy the boards fully assembled with all needed stickers and heatsink to get importet into EU. So that i only have to add the ASIC's myself.

I think you would struggle to solder the asics with the heatsinks installed, the solder won't melt.

I believe the heatsinks arent part of the possible assembly that was spoken about by bkkcoins. The heatsinks anyway would be put onto with thermal compound. So that one could get the assembled boards, maybe even with heatsinks together in a set, then solder the asics on it and then put the heatsinks on it. Would that work?

BkkCoins is not offering assembly. The boards cannot have the heat sinks pre mounted, they must be installed after the board is finished. They may be included in a DIY kit, but that is up to whoever is producing the kit.

The heat sinks are too heavy to rely on thermal compound for installation. Mounting screws need to be used to physically mount the board to the heat sink.

sensei

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:23:29 PM

You will need both, a thermal compound or tape, and a mechanical fastener to create a clamping force.

I will be assembling and from parts purchased by me and from kits that are sent to me and can do the final assembly for any who wish it, or be able to place the ASICs on any boards that are lacking them.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 05:28:14 PM

BkkCoins is not offering assembly. The boards cannot have the heat sinks pre mounted, they must be installed after the board is finished. They may be included in a DIY kit, but that is up to whoever is producing the kit.

The heat sinks are too heavy to rely on thermal compound for installation. Mounting screws need to be used to physically mount the board to the heat sink.

I know bkkcoins doesnt offer assembly, but he wrote that he maybe will look into it once the first board works fine. That would be great for me and i would use such service.

Are the holes for mounting already in the pcb or do one has to drill it first? I mean when these holes have to be drilled then its not much work to drill holes in heatsinks too. So i wonder if there arent already heatsinks that have a size that works and could be used... only wondering why they need to be developed first.

steamboat

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:35:33 PM

You will need both, a thermal compound or tape, and a mechanical fastener to create a clamping force.

I will be assembling and from parts purchased by me and from kits that are sent to me and can do the final assembly for any who wish it, or be able to place the ASICs on any boards that are lacking them.

That is correct.

Are you purchasing the kits directly or assembling based on pre-purchased kits?

I know bkkcoins doesnt offer assembly, but he wrote that he maybe will look into it once the first board works fine. That would be great for me and i would use such service.

Are the holes for mounting already in the pcb or do one has to drill it first? I mean when these holes have to be drilled then its not much work to drill holes in heatsinks too. So i wonder if there arent already heatsinks that have a size that works and could be used... only wondering why they need to be developed first.

As far as I know, BkkCoins is not planning on offering any assembly services for the K16/64 boards at all, now or in the future.

The holes for mounting the heat sink to the PCB will be drilled when the board is produced. The heat sinks need to be drilled to match the holes in the board to allow them to be mounted. It is highly unlikely that a heat sink with the necessary thermals is already for sale with a 55x62mm center to center hole pattern. I have looked for both drilled and non drilled heatsinks, and have not found anything acceptable.

It is not advisable to drill into the PCB. This will destroy the circuits and render the board useless.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 05:47:19 PM

@BKKCoins... you wont supply heatsinks, thats not coming? Its only that i would prefer everything in one hand... and you probably in a country with cheap production facilities. If you say you wont supply ill check out the other solution.

As far as I know, BkkCoins is not planning on offering any assembly services for the K16/64 boards at all, now or in the future.

I refer to this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=190731.msg2162064#msg2162064

steamboat

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:58:48 PM

I refer to this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=190731.msg2162064#msg2162064

My apologies, I stand corrected.

sensei

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 07:19:37 PM

That is correct.

Are you purchasing the kits directly or assembling based on pre-purchased kits?

The holes for mounting the heat sink to the PCB will be drilled when the board is produced. The heat sinks need to be drilled to match the holes in the board to allow them to be mounted. It is highly unlikely that a heat sink with the necessary thermals is already for sale with a 55x62mm center to center hole pattern. I have looked for both drilled and non drilled heatsinks, and have not found anything acceptable.

It is not advisable to drill into the PCB. This will destroy the circuits and render the board useless.

Correct. NEVER drill into a circuit board. The board layout by bkkcoins will already have holes in it for mounting the heatsink. Currently I believe there are 4 thru holes for heatsink mounting and each is in the middle of a group of 4 ASICs.

I will probably do both, buy parts for assembly and buy kits for assembly. I may have enough parts to build quite a few myself and will give bkkcoins some $$$ for each I build for his effort.
BkkCoins (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 09:56:14 PM

Hello All,

I appreciate everyone is very excited about this project. But I'm getting inundated with requests I really cannot afford to service. I think I have about a half dozen people who want me to work out details of producing an assembled product. I just can't manage this.

Please, until I have something working I would prefer you did not commit large sums of money. Get ready, prepare quotes - fine, but spending real money based on what I have now is starting to make me feel uncomfortable. Any aspect of my design could change. It's risky.

I know we all want to get something going fast as time is a big issue. I can't change that. The time constraints of this project are impossible. Some things like heat sink size and fastening method need to be tested before order commitments are made. I have sample heat sinks on the way now. I have parts and dev tools on the way. I'll do what I can as fast as I can. Getting things quickly here is expensive for FexEx shipping and I cannot afford to pay that. So regular mail takes more time.

All that I have for you right now is on github and I update it when I make changes.

http://github/bkkcoins/klondike

Thx. I love all the support and praise but I have limited time.
Or maybe I should use modern netspeak now: 10x

r3animation

Activity: 756

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 10:30:46 PM

Hello All,

I appreciate everyone is very excited about this project. But I'm getting inundated with requests I really cannot afford to service. I think I have about a half dozen people who want me to work out details of producing an assembled product. I just can't manage this.

Please, until I have something working I would prefer you did not commit large sums of money. Get ready, prepare quotes - fine, but spending real money based on what I have now is starting to make me feel uncomfortable. Any aspect of my design could change. It's risky.

I know we all want to get something going fast as time is a big issue. I can't change that. The time constraints of this project are impossible. Some things like heat sink size and fastening method need to be tested before order commitments are made. I have sample heat sinks on the way now. I have parts and dev tools on the way. I'll do what I can as fast as I can. Getting things quickly here is expensive for FexEx shipping and I cannot afford to pay that. So regular mail takes more time.

All that I have for you right now is on github and I update it when I make changes.

Leave the poor man alone! Let him finish the board and prototype first then we can bombard him!  Grin
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 10:35:07 PM

Hello All,

Leave the poor man alone! Let him finish the board and prototype first then we can bombard him!  Grin

Ha-ha Bump Can't rush development or it might affect the product we can throw money when hes ready Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
sensei

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 03:20:27 AM

Just thinking about the heat sink. I'm not sure that the 4 fastenening locations in the center of each ASIC cluster is best. I think it may cause a high possibility of board flex and with the different coefficients of expansion of materials with temperature, we may have solder fractures at the ASIC over time. We need to spread the clamping force over a larger area with more locations.

Just a thought.
marto74

Activity: 728

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 06:09:31 AM

Specs are:
100x100x25mm
3mm base
1mm fins
2mm spacing
6000 series aluminum
Flat base/underside

Hi,
I own custom machined parts shop .( EU based)
We do a lot of custom fans .
May be it'll be a  good way to use standad Alu profile to be cut and drilled to specs.
Most probably it's going to be with ribs in one direction .
In a day or two I provide calculation based on your specs

http://technobit.eu
tips : 12DNdacCtUZ99qcP74FwchaCPzeDL9Voff
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 06:15:07 AM

Specs are:
100x100x25mm
3mm base
1mm fins
2mm spacing
6000 series aluminum
Flat base/underside

Hi,
I own custom machined parts shop .( EU based)
We do a lot of custom fans .
May be it'll be a  good way to use standad Alu profile to be cut and drilled to specs.
Most probably it's going to be with ribs in one direction .
In a day or two I provide calculation based on your specs
I am interested marto. It may turn out that i will be able to pick up my heatsinks locally Smiley. Buy the way can you make some calcs for original Avalon heat sink also. It may turn out that i (and other folks) will need some of them also.
Here is the link

https://github.com/BitSyncom/avalon-ref/blob/master/CAD/heat_sink/heatsink-a.dwg

10X

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 181 »
  Print  

Jump to: