Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 07:21:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 132 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e hacked ??  (Read 199693 times)
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 07:52:43 AM

If BTC-E will continue to operate in normal mode it will be the best ever promo operation sponsored by FBI Smiley

this

overnight they would become a beacon of global liberty, it would be a powerful statement...and I would start fearing for their physical safety

This would be pretty boss, and I give the "Russian big balls, FU America" outcome a 2% chance of happening. That's because trying to run an exchange with a million users while the FBI is chasing you is a losing prospect.

But there's a 2% chance that they're badass enough to do it anyway. Cuz Russians.

squatter
Legendary

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 07:54:28 AM

Well, following my Peercoin, I can see mine have gone here:

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/ppc/address.dws?PJoTa6ScCbtP23aJfDUg88do79t14FWUXW.htm

And by the looks of it, so have the PPC of many, many others...

I had about 600 of those on BTC-e... Sad

It seems that most of the crypto wallets have been moved/consolidated at this point. It's not entirely clear whether the feds, or BTC-e, moved them. BUT they did post a message last night which said they recovered their database and have access to their wallets. No details on how much crypto may have been seized. They also confirmed that Mayzus froze their accounts. No word on how much $ that represented.

YesLOST

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 07:54:38 AM

btce was very clear with their statements about refunds. EVERYBODY gets a refund in case they won't come back online. Not only people with coins. Don't be fooled, of course losses  will be socialized, you won't get your 100% deposit back.

Everything above 50% will be like the best Christmas gift ever.

For myself, everything above 60% refund I will either send back directly to btce as a donation or just donate it to some hospital. Fuck the greed.
squatter
Legendary

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 07:59:23 AM

btce was very clear with their statements about refunds. EVERYBODY gets a refund in case they won't come back online. Not only people with coins. Don't be fooled, of course losses  will be socialized, you won't get your 100% deposit back.

How do you see that playing out? Say, 50% of the fiat got seized. Assuming they could somehow figure out ways to process that fiat to some people, how would the rest of the losses be spread around? For those that had only USD in their accounts, would they have bitcoin and random altcoins instead upon relaunch?

YesLOST

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 08:15:05 AM

How do you see that playing out? Say, 50% of the fiat got seized. Assuming they could somehow figure out ways to process that fiat to some people, how would the rest of the losses be spread around? For those that had only USD in their accounts, would they have bitcoin and random altcoins instead upon relaunch?

It is pure speculation about what exactly they will do, however they stated "everybody will get a refund" and "all was based on trust and still can trust us". Why would they not include fiat owners in a refund scheme? This thinking would only come from the FBI trolls.

There are many options and I doubt they will send any fiat back to customers (because these bank accounts the fiat would be remitted from could be seized too, it would be a dumb idea). I guess with the fiat under their control they will going to buy bitcoin and other coins.
SEELE^^01

Activity: 952
Merit: 137

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 08:35:04 AM

Doesnt matter how i get my fiat back, even coins are alright too Smiley

at least i get my stuff back, that is what matters Smiley

but if btc-e gets fully operable online again, i will stay for sure.
Beldar

Activity: 9

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 08:45:40 AM

If BTC-e tries to refund customers it will be using crypto after socializing losses.

There is no way they can use wires since they would be blacklisted and after the first wire the FBI would seize the bank account the wire came from.

And even if they refund with crypto you should be very careful. All crypto wallets that receive founds from BTC-e could be blacklisted and then when you try to cash out in any other exchange they might block your accounts in order to prevent the FBI seize their site for money laundering. You'd do well to move your crypto through thousand of wallets prior to send them to any exchange and then cahs out in small chunks. At leats that are my plans if I get any refund in crypto.

By the way I don't think the FBI seized all their FIAT but they probably are chasing them through a lot of instrumental companies owned by another companies in many tax haven countries like a matrioska Russian doll. The problem is how will they can cash out their fiat and how to secure it before the FBI gets to them.

Returning the service with the charges they have is not an option unless they arrange with the US DOJ to remove the charges and register as legal MSB after paying a big fine. I think this option is very unlikely but not impossible.
SEELE^^01

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 09:17:23 AM

If BTC-e tries to refund customers it will be using crypto after socializing losses.

There is no way they can use wires since they would be blacklisted and after the first wire the FBI would seize the bank account the wire came from.

And even if they refund with crypto you should be very careful. All crypto wallets that receive founds from BTC-e could be blacklisted and then when you try to cash out in any other exchange they might block your accounts in order to prevent the FBI seize their site for money laundering. You'd do well to move your crypto through thousand of wallets prior to send them to any exchange and then cahs out in small chunks. At leats that are my plans if I get any refund in crypto.

By the way I don't think the FBI seized all their FIAT but they probably are chasing them through a lot of instrumental companies owned by another companies in many tax haven countries like a matrioska Russian doll. The problem is how will they can cash out their fiat and how to secure it before the FBI gets to them.

Returning the service with the charges they have is not an option unless they arrange with the US DOJ to remove the charges and register as legal MSB after paying a big fine. I think this option is very unlikely but not impossible.

fuk that sound pretty logical... thanks for ruining my day Smiley

now i will go into the fukin corner to cry more T_T"
stingray454

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 09:26:42 AM

I'm not so sure they will "socialize losses". Say they offer 50% back, that would hurt a lot for people having hundreds of thousands of dollars on the site, while someone with $500 wouldn't care too much. In previous hacks or similar situations it seems the aim is to give a 100% refund. I understand if they can't do it straight away, but I'm guessing something like "50% now, 50% over the next X months" to keep up with demand and make the money back.
gnurta

Activity: 76

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 10:55:44 AM

I'm not so sure they will "socialize losses". Say they offer 50% back, that would hurt a lot for people having hundreds of thousands of dollars on the site, while someone with $500 wouldn't care too much. In previous hacks or similar situations it seems the aim is to give a 100% refund. I understand if they can't do it straight away, but I'm guessing something like "50% now, 50% over the next X months" to keep up with demand and make the money back.

100% refund is impossible in this situation. All their cash and part of cryptocurrencies were seized by the US government.
stingray454

Activity: 86

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 11:09:03 AM

100% refund is impossible in this situation. All their cash and part of cryptocurrencies were seized by the US government.

Hard to tell at this point, but it sounded like only the hotwallets were compromised (which should be a small percentage of total cryptos). Also, as stated earlier in the thread, even if you had a lot in fiat on btc-e, it wasn't actually kept as USD on a bank account. At this point it's anyones guess how much was actually seized.

I don't believe we'll see 100% directly, but something like "50% now, 50% when we made the money back from trading" is not impossible. If they want to keep any users at all on their site (assuming they will be able to operate again), a partial reimbursement would only make people leave it for good. But we'll see how things turns out, will be really interesting to hear what they have to say next week.
Pipshunter

Activity: 700
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 11:10:56 AM

i dont think they were "hacked" , the owner of that website has been detained in greece.
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 11:22:22 AM

i dont think they were "hacked" , the owner of that website has been detained in greece.

How about read the thread first before posting?

You would learn that BTC-e have said the Vinnik, the person that was arrested in Greece was not and admin or employee of BTC-e.

You would also learn the the FBI seized the BTC-e servers, that's why they are offline.

Their bank accounts have been seized.

Their crypto wallets are all safe and they a looking into getting them back online before the end of the month.

OMlite

Activity: 55

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 11:24:07 AM

I'm not sure that socializing the losses is a smart move.
Innocent users will compensate the balances of "drug dealers and other illicit users" that originate the problem itself.
You will use part of your money, to compensate illicit traders that cost you the money you lost.
YesLOST

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 11:43:00 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2017, 11:53:23 AM by YesLOST

Don't spread fud like that. At least try to be reasonable. Why do you believe all fiat is gone?
Did Maysuz hold all btce funds? Well, it could be that Maysuz held all btce fiat funds, but it
 is very doubtful, most probably they were the "hot wallet" for fiat. "Fiat cold storage" could be anywhere.
YesLOST

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 11:50:03 AM

Innocent users will compensate the balances of "drug dealers and other illicit users" that originate the problem itself.
You will use part of your money, to compensate illicit traders that cost you the money you lost.

How anybody can decide who is the drug dealer and who's not?

Oh, well, wait!

The USA and the FBI did this already. They say, btce and everybody related to it is a criminal. btce's trollbox was the communication back end of the Medllin Cartel and Pablo's ghost was seen there many times.
OMlite

Activity: 55

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 11:58:25 AM

How anybody can decide who is the drug dealer and who's not?

Obviusly, we cannot. But maybe BTC-e itself can, who knows.

The USA and the FBI did this already. They say, btce and everybody related to it is a criminal. btce's trollbox was the communication back end of the Medllin Cartel and Pablo's ghost was seen there many times.

I actually read all the indictment pdf... and no, accusations were not directed to all users no matter what Smiley
That's one of the reasons I hope that, with time, honest traders can also recover sized money from Feds.
LibertyReserve had a program to recover seized balances, if you can prove they were legit.
(do not know how it went)
kekadam

Activity: 60

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 11:59:20 AM

xBTCe announcment:

Dear clients,

Our company has received a lot of questions from you in recent days, and we would like to comment on the most frequent ones.
It is business as usual at xBTCe Exchange. Traders may occasionally experience lack of liquidity, but we are doing our best to ensure that these issues are resolved in the near future.
Withdrawal requests are being processed as usual. In addition, we have recently introduced an automatic withdrawal feature allowing to send cryptocurrency to client wallets instantly.
It is important to note that xBTCe is an independent exchange and is not affiliated with BTC-e in any way. BTC-e previously provided its liquidity to our exchange, whereas xBTCe
offered BTC-e and their clients IT solutions for KYC and CDD procedures in accordance with the world’s best practices. The termination of BTC-e came completely unexpected and
led to short-term problems with the execution of trading orders on our exchange, which have now been mostly resolved.
xBTCe team is actively working to ensure deep liquidity and will continue to offer innovative trading tools and competitive trading conditions to our clients.

Sincerely,
xBTCe Team
Beldar

Activity: 9

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 12:07:59 PM

Well they might be willing to refund drug and weapons dealers before innocent peopole since they might chase and kill them and we can only cry out loud for our money Roll Eyes
SEELE^^01

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 12:08:09 PM

xBTCe announcment:

Dear clients,

Our company has received a lot of questions from you in recent days, and we would like to comment on the most frequent ones.
It is business as usual at xBTCe Exchange. Traders may occasionally experience lack of liquidity, but we are doing our best to ensure that these issues are resolved in the near future.
Withdrawal requests are being processed as usual. In addition, we have recently introduced an automatic withdrawal feature allowing to send cryptocurrency to client wallets instantly.
It is important to note that xBTCe is an independent exchange and is not affiliated with BTC-e in any way. BTC-e previously provided its liquidity to our exchange, whereas xBTCe
offered BTC-e and their clients IT solutions for KYC and CDD procedures in accordance with the world’s best practices. The termination of BTC-e came completely unexpected and
led to short-term problems with the execution of trading orders on our exchange, which have now been mostly resolved.
xBTCe team is actively working to ensure deep liquidity and will continue to offer innovative trading tools and competitive trading conditions to our clients.

Sincerely,
xBTCe Team

wtf, how would that work, using another exchange for kyc cdd on new customers for themselves? were'nt they a sister group of btce or a full partner?
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 132 »
  Print  

Jump to: