Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:27:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 98 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BTC-TC] Deprived Mining Speculation (DMS)  (Read 198701 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
twentyseventy
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:18:49 PM

What if you cannot pay back the loan within 24 hours. I will be expecting a daily 20 BTC interest.

You're out drinking tonight and maybe something stupid happens, you can never know for sure....

He's already addressed that. He has reserves far in excess of 400BTC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lytse

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:22:08 PM

What if you cannot pay back the loan within 24 hours. I will be expecting a daily 20 BTC interest.

You're out drinking tonight and maybe something stupid happens, you can never know for sure....

People please try to read...

What if the loan is not paid back within 24 hours, do we get EXTRA daily interests?
eltopo

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:25:11 PM

Just giving disclosure of something.

Some of you may know there's over-subscription of the Labcoin IPO and that it's being done in a strange way (everyone getting orders partially filled at a fixed price).  That means you only get sales of a fraction of what you bid for - rather than the usual all-or-nothing approach.

I can't buy them with DMS - as would need investor approval to do so.  What I AM doing is lending 400 BTC to myself at 5% for 24 hours.  So 420 BTC will be repaid within the next day.

Most of it will never be used - it's just to bump my order so I actually get the few hundred BTC-worth I personally wanted.  Will send back most of it right after IPO processes - and the rest as soon as I sell a few.  If I don't get the price I want by midday tomorrow for some I'll pull the rest back from my personal J-D account.

So it's basically as safe a loan as you can get - most of it will never be used for anything at all and the bit that will be used is backed by my own cash.  It's a 20 BTC bonus for SELLING on their next dividend in effect.

EDIT: to be clear, when I say it's for 24 hours I actually mean it'll all be back before tomorrow's report.

I guess your investment in Labcoin is just for short term? Do you think there's a big difference between e.g. ActiveMining and Labcoin?
eltopo

Activity: 230

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:26:59 PM

People please try to read...

What if the loan is not paid back within 24 hours, do we get EXTRA daily interests?

We should discuss this if it's not paid back tomorrow...
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:27:17 PM

Who cares, this isn't going to happen!
If you don't trust him, you shouldn't be holding his shares in the first place...

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Lytse

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:31:08 PM

We should discuss this if it's not paid back tomorrow...
Yep sure, BTC world right  Grin
Lytse

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:32:54 PM

If you don't trust him, you shouldn't be holding his shares in the first place...

I trust him... but I heart he is an heavy drinker and gets into fights....  Tongue Tongue Tongue
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:34:03 PM

I trust him... but I heart he is an heavy drinker and gets into fights....  Tongue Tongue Tongue
As long as he wins, I'm fine!

twentyseventy
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:47:30 PM

I think it's clear that he will have it paid back in time. Especially because ~65% won't even be sunk into LC due to the share distribution method they're using.
Deprived (OP)

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 09:27:10 PM

At the pub at moment so can't access btctc acccounts - they use yubikey which doesn't work on my mobile.  Looks like ipo hasnt actually happened yet.  If it happens to take longer than a day for burnside to sort whatever the delay is then obviously I'll pay 20 btc per day interest. Looks like guitarist has replaced the broken string (only reason I bothrred checking) so back to beer & music for me.
helixone

Activity: 131

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 09:53:38 PM

If it's not clear what the loan is being used for, it's being used to inflate a bid I make so I actually get to spend all (or msot of) my own funds.  The loan itself isn't being spent (or not much of it - I can't tell for sure exactly how much excess demand there is).

My guess is it'll be around a 2.5:1 over-suscription on the IPO.  So if I want to spend 100 BTC I have to put in 250 BTC of bids.  I want to spend more than that - but can't get cash there in time to bid excessively - so am just borrowing so I can spend my OWN cash then return the loan soon as my order is partly filled.  As it's possible the filling will run into the loan a bit I gave myself 24 hours - as I'm about to head out I won't be able to sort it anyway until tomorrow (will be drinking so not gonna risk moving significant sums around when I get back).  At present there's bids for over 17 million shares with only 7 million available - and there'll be more bids going up all the time until the actual sale.  So I may STILL not get to buy all I planned to anyway.

Deprived,

There are many people who would pay 5 btc for an emergency loan of 400btc to get in a hot and oversubscribed IPO. As fund manager, you should not treat the fund as your personal piggy bank. I think you have to be very careful about the conflict of interest between your fundholders interests and your personal financial interests. I'm sure you have convinced yourself that this is fair, but from the outside it looks very much like self dealing.

I believe you should have done this investment either completely with your own money, or given the fundholders benefit from the inevitable trading gain. (17000 bitcoins chasing a 7000 btc allocation will lead to inevitable stock price IPO jump).

Please consider doing the right thing and share the wealth, less management fee, with your fundholders.

-helixone
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 10:03:22 PM

There are many people who would pay 5 btc for an emergency loan of 400btc
He paid 20.

I disagree with your line of reasoning.
As long as he's able to pay back, then I see no problem with him doing anything he deems safe, if that increases the value of the fund.

Deprived (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 10:13:38 PM

If it's not clear what the loan is being used for, it's being used to inflate a bid I make so I actually get to spend all (or msot of) my own funds.  The loan itself isn't being spent (or not much of it - I can't tell for sure exactly how much excess demand there is).

My guess is it'll be around a 2.5:1 over-suscription on the IPO.  So if I want to spend 100 BTC I have to put in 250 BTC of bids.  I want to spend more than that - but can't get cash there in time to bid excessively - so am just borrowing so I can spend my OWN cash then return the loan soon as my order is partly filled.  As it's possible the filling will run into the loan a bit I gave myself 24 hours - as I'm about to head out I won't be able to sort it anyway until tomorrow (will be drinking so not gonna risk moving significant sums around when I get back).  At present there's bids for over 17 million shares with only 7 million available - and there'll be more bids going up all the time until the actual sale.  So I may STILL not get to buy all I planned to anyway.

Deprived,

There are many people who would pay 5 btc for an emergency loan of 400btc to get in a hot and oversubscribed IPO. As fund manager, you should not treat the fund as your personal piggy bank. I think you have to be very careful about the conflict of interest between your fundholders interests and your personal financial interests. I'm sure you have convinced yourself that this is fair, but from the outside it looks very much like self dealing.

I believe you should have done this investment either completely with your own money, or given the fundholders benefit from the inevitable trading gain. (17000 bitcoins chasing a 7000 btc allocation will lead to inevitable stock price IPO jump).

Please consider doing the right thing and share the wealth, less management fee, with your fundholders.

-helixone

No gain is inevitable - what would happen if the ipo sold out, dms invested heavily then tbey vanished and the price fell to 0?  You can't get the gains without takung the risks.  If the ipo is a scam this way I personally take the hit.  Dms cant take it bevause mining dont gain from investment so no investment or risk can be taken which coyld jeopardise them.

If you're personally willing to escrow 420 btc in case it gos wrong then nect time we'll do it that way and dms can habe the profits without the risk.  Until then if I take the risk I get the profit.  Sure I likely make 500+ btc on this but I also risk losing a decent chunk.  if you think that risk can be ignored then feel free to sort out escrow - heck I have plenty more 'risk free' things you can cover if you want.  Sorry if this comes off as harsh or ride but tbh if you wont cover the 420 btc if it gos wrong then perhaps you should reconsider expecting me to (having had a few beers I'm proud of how restrained I was there).
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 10:50:17 PM

What if you make a huge loss at IPO and are not able to pay back the 400 BTC loan and the daily 20 BTC interest?
this:
To be clear, even if my personal J-D investment all vanished AND labcoin immediately scammed and their shares went to 0 the loan would be back before tomorrow's report.

Personally, I'll enjoy this bonus to the dividend! : )

Woke up to check my Asicminer dividend. Now today is like double-dividend day! Thanks, Deprived.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 11:52:16 PM

While I appreciate your openness, I object your using DMS as your personal bank. There is a conflict of interest. Also, I'm concerned that you are becoming more like usagi, willing to take unnecessary risks with other people's money.

I'm too lazy to look it up:  can you loan DMS money without investor approval?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 12:46:34 AM

While I appreciate your openness, I object your using DMS as your personal bank. There is a conflict of interest. Also, I'm concerned that you are becoming more like usagi, willing to take unnecessary risks with other people's money.

I'm too lazy to look it up:  can you loan DMS money without investor approval?

On the last point I can only loan funds to people approved by a vote of SELLING investors.  Pre-approved such lendees are myself/burnside - any other exposure needs a vote to pass.

Looks like the sale went through, have transferred back 350 BTC, 70 BTC left.  Could have transferred more but it would have cancelled bids.  Will send back the other 70 btc in morning when I'm sober.

The accusation of being usagi-like hurts.  Deeply.  Please appreciate that my promises/guarantees aren't usagi-like ones (where 6 months later you haven't been paid - see Nyan.A where not only does he not pay what he promised he also keeps dividends from shares they already own).  If I'd noticed this IPO a few hours earlier I could have moved 400 of my own BTC in no problem - but I noticed it under an hour before official IPO time so couldn't be at all confident of getting funds in from elsewhere on time (BTC-TC was timing out most of the time by then).

It's effectively a free 20 BTC for SELLING/PURCHASE.  The amount is within what I can comfortably repay within a day even if the actual loan vanished.  5% per day seems a reasonable rate - by which I mean one that you can't really turn down when there's no default risk.  I DO agree that I'm sort of stretching the bounds of the contract by doing it - as short-term loans were never the intention.  But I'm not seeing who the victim is when there's no risk of default/delay (other than delay in IPO execution where extra interest would be paid).

Only 'risk' was if BTC-TC stole the funds (and everything else deposited there) - but in that situation DMS was no worse of as the cash would have been on BTC-TC anyway (though have to admit that particular scenario makes me shudder).

My overall strategy has always been to avoid risks - that's why I rarely invest (most BTC stocks are total shit - goof for flipping for a profit and leaving some sucker carrying the losses a year later).  To believe what I did is somehow aginst DMS' interests you need to conclude TWO things:

1.  That what I was doing could go wrong (this was definitely possible though unlikely)
2.  That I'd have problems repaying 420 BTC if it DID go wrong.

The 2nd point is where the case against loses.  If (as was the case) the IPO gos smoothly then total exposure is trivial anyway (under 100 BTC).  Even if it went wrong 420 BTC is NOT an amount I'd need more than 24 hours to raise.  That's why I dislike the usagi comparison - I don't say I'll pay something when I lack the funds to do so in a reasonable time-scale (i.e. days).  My expecteed exposure on this was under 100 BTC - but even if burnside fucked up his script and the while 420 BTC got spent AND the share price crashed I'd just sell a few things and move 420 BTC in.

There's no scenario in which DMS could have bought the IPO shares itself.  So the choice was between getting nothing and getting a safe 20 BTC.  You COULD argue that 5% for a <24 hour loan was weak - but then you COULD argue that the moon is made of blue cheese.  Conflict of interest?  Well - think of it as I offered DMS 20 BTC to borrow 400 BTC for under a day.  If I'd said NO I think that would have been a far worse decision for investors.  There was under an hour to decide in - so a vote was out of the question (had it been much over an hour I'd have been confident of moving funds in from elsewhere).

I take the view that ignoring the possibility (because some people would be butt-hurt that I made some profit) would be far worse for investors than a 5% return for ~16 hours loan.  But maybe you or someone else can explain to me how investors' interests would have been served by me saying no?

This sort of opportunity is VERY rare.  I can only think of 3 IPOs in the last 6 months I'd have borrowed cash to buy into - and the other 2 I didn't need to as I spotted them early enough.  This one got approved much faster than I expected AND with a strange IPO procedure (they left cash on the table so as to piss off ALL investors a bit rather than the cheap-skate ones a LOT).  I decided I was happy to pay DMS 20 BTC to leverage my position - and that was allowed under the contract.  Principle's fine - but turning down 20 BTC just because it's me?  We lend 300 BTC to TradeFortress for under 30% per year.  I don't have a clue what his name is, what assets he has etc.  I know precisely what my name is - and what my assets are - but I should reject myself as a loan target because 'bitcoin'?

Having said all that I DO actually sort of agree with you.  Problem I have is simply that although I know there was no risk to DMS there's no way I can prove that easily.  All I can advise to investors is that if you think there's ANY risk (even a small one) that DMS investors could end up worse from making that loan than from not making it then you should NOT invest in ANY security I offer.  The loan was taken on the basis of being a secured loan (that's the only basis on which it COULD be made by contract) - if you believe it wasn't properly secured then you should not trust me with ANYTHING.

Personally I can't see any scenario in which the loan wasn't repaid - other than if burnside stole everything deposited on BTC-TC in which case it would have been lost anyway.  I just have too many sources I can pull relatively small BTC amounts from.
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 12:52:06 AM

Oh and I'm officially drunk.

Just got stuck trying to work out some details of the Labcoin IPO.  Turns out I was reading a LabRat thread (some dickhead reselling BFL pre-orders).

Luckily it seems I sent the 350 BTC to the right place Smiley
twentyseventy
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 01:04:53 AM

Just got stuck trying to work out some details of the Labcoin IPO.  Turns out I was reading a LabRat thread (some dickhead reselling BFL pre-orders).

Okay that gave me a real laugh  Grin

Hey everybody! Deprived's human, come look!
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 01:09:51 AM

Occurs to me that I still haven't properly addressed the 'conflict of interest' point.  In theory one definitely existed - as I represented both myself and DMS when agreeing the loan.  To determine whether it's a practical conflict of interest you have to consider two things:

1.  Did I unduly rush in making a decision - i.e. could I have taken feedback, had a vote etc to put the decision in other people's hands.  I'd argue no to this - the time-scale was way too compressed for that.
2.  If a decision HAD to be made quickly was the decision made correct?  i.e. was lending the 400 BTC better than NOT lending it FOR DMS.  I believe the answer to that is unequivocably yes.

I'm open to arguments on why either of the above is wrong - or why I've missed some basic point.  One potential argument is definitely that DMS could have held out for more than 5%.  But I KNOW that wouldn't have worked - as I deliberately offered the max I was willing to pay, precisely to avoid that scenario (had I wanted to do it on the cheap I could have just borrowed the cash without saying so or done it via DMS buying LTC-ATF.B2 at .35% per week).  5% was the MAX I was willing to pay for a loan for under a day (if I'd had more than an hour I wouldn't have paid over 1%).
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 01:23:04 AM

Occurs to me that I still haven't properly addressed the 'conflict of interest' point.  In theory one definitely existed - as I represented both myself and DMS when agreeing the loan.  To determine whether it's a practical conflict of interest you have to consider two things:

1.  Did I unduly rush in making a decision - i.e. could I have taken feedback, had a vote etc to put the decision in other people's hands.  I'd argue no to this - the time-scale was way too compressed for that.
2.  If a decision HAD to be made quickly was the decision made correct?  i.e. was lending the 400 BTC better than NOT lending it FOR DMS.  I believe the answer to that is unequivocably yes.

I'm open to arguments on why either of the above is wrong - or why I've missed some basic point.  One potential argument is definitely that DMS could have held out for more than 5%.  But I KNOW that wouldn't have worked - as I deliberately offered the max I was willing to pay, precisely to avoid that scenario (had I wanted to do it on the cheap I could have just borrowed the cash without saying so or done it via DMS buying LTC-ATF.B2 at .35% per week).  5% was the MAX I was willing to pay for a loan for under a day (if I'd had more than an hour I wouldn't have paid over 1%).

It seems as though everything has turned out as it was supposed to and SELLING owners got a nice present.

I guess something that might come out of this is a vote could be put to asset holders as to whether this sort of thing can be allowed to happen in the future.

I admit if you were doing this every week I would start to feel that something was wrong. I acknowledge that you believe there were an unusual set of circumstances at play which justified taking such action.

And yes, anyone whose business plan is reselling BFL pre-orders sounds like a dickhead. Wink

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 98 »
  Print  

Jump to: