Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:06:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... 98 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BTC-TC] Deprived Mining Speculation (DMS)  (Read 198701 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:00:58 PM

There was quite some arbitrage opportunity recently, before and after the bot went live. I think I bought several times the coins I have invested in DMS worth of PURCHASE (still not much, but many small batches to transfer) recently to benefit from this.

The particular arbitrage avenue I exploited has ended, at least for now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Deprived (OP)

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:03:30 PM

What is it you think you can do in 2 that suddenly removes 75% of SELLING's value whilst leaving MINING unchanged?

Yes, you're right it doesn't work. It's pretty obvious too, now that I think about it Wink

I didn't mean to multiply everything by four though. Only the mining side. Still, that would destroy the 1:1 ratio between mining and selling for the old shares, and the exchange into new would not work. Well, well.

Well, not dividing SELLING by 4 was one of the possible step 2s.

The high volume of trade yesterday would suggest a lot of people are still finding value in both SELLING and MINING - but at any price point there are going to be some who believe neither offers sufficient profit to be worth investing in.  DMS only works at all because people have different views on the value of MINING/SELLING - if everyone agreed on value then they'd trade a discount to PURCHASE (representing perceived CP risk/time-cost of money) and there'd be zero new sales of PURCHASE other than to the occasional random-clicker.

When MINING is a small portion of PURCHASE there doesn't have to be a HUGE perceived profit on SELLING for it to make sense.  That's because any valuation which makes SELLING worth the vast majority of PURCHASE MUST be based on very large short-term difficulty increases.  Very large short-term difficulty increases necessarily mean very large SELLING dividends in the near future - meaning most of the price paid for SELLING gets returned fairly quickly.

That last point is where a lot of people go wrong.  It's entirely WRONG to turn down an investment just because it can 'only' make 10%, 5% or 1% profit.  Time-scale has to be taken into account.  What's better - an investment that gives 60% profit after a year or one that gives 1% profit after a week (assuming an unlimited availability of both at all times - and that capital is returned at same time as the profit)?  The 1% per week is better - as with compounding it outperforms the 60%.  Percentage profit on its own is meaningless - it needs an associated time-period to be a useful measure.

None of which is to deny that for ANY investor there IS a point at which buying neither of MINING or SELLING makes sense.  But I can't run a seperate version of DMS for every investor based on how they want to price them - people who believe the price now matches their personal valuation (and won't change favourably) and so want to liquidate their position represent a key part of liquidity for the securities.
Deprived (OP)

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:04:52 PM

Someone was doing arbitrage. So it might not have happened without the bot.

About 6 people were doing frequent arbitrage - I believe one of them may even be using a bot to do it.  Majority of transfers come from a handful of people.
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 08:19:35 PM

Last increases have been 19%, 20%, 10%, if I recall correctly...
I have the past difficulties up on my site here: http://runeks.dk/bitcoin/diff.txt

They auto-update every time the difficulty changes.

It also shows the length of the difficulty period in question, which is something that some people overlook. When the difficulty increases by, say, 20%, not only is the difficulty 20% higher but the adjustment also happened 20% faster than the 14 days that the difficulty adjustment targets for.

This means that if difficulty increases by 20% each difficulty period, it will be increase by a factor of 380 in one year, and not a factor of 116, which is the result you would get if you assumed a 14 day difficulty period.
Thank you very much, this is what I was looking for.
You're very welcome. I was looking for something like this and couldn't find it so I created it myself.

The storage medium on the server that runs this just died on me though, so it's not updating right now. It will be back up when I get my new storage medium.
Progressive

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:33:02 AM

The dividend for SELLING will be today? What is your estimate?
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:57:55 AM

What is it you think you can do in 2 that suddenly removes 75% of SELLING's value whilst leaving MINING unchanged?

Yes, you're right it doesn't work. It's pretty obvious too, now that I think about it Wink

I didn't mean to multiply everything by four though. Only the mining side. Still, that would destroy the 1:1 ratio between mining and selling for the old shares, and the exchange into new would not work. Well, well.

Well, not dividing SELLING by 4 was one of the possible step 2s.

The high volume of trade yesterday would suggest a lot of people are still finding value in both SELLING and MINING - but at any price point there are going to be some who believe neither offers sufficient profit to be worth investing in.  DMS only works at all because people have different views on the value of MINING/SELLING - if everyone agreed on value then they'd trade a discount to PURCHASE (representing perceived CP risk/time-cost of money) and there'd be zero new sales of PURCHASE other than to the occasional random-clicker.

When MINING is a small portion of PURCHASE there doesn't have to be a HUGE perceived profit on SELLING for it to make sense.  That's because any valuation which makes SELLING worth the vast majority of PURCHASE MUST be based on very large short-term difficulty increases.  Very large short-term difficulty increases necessarily mean very large SELLING dividends in the near future - meaning most of the price paid for SELLING gets returned fairly quickly.

That last point is where a lot of people go wrong.  It's entirely WRONG to turn down an investment just because it can 'only' make 10%, 5% or 1% profit.  Time-scale has to be taken into account.  What's better - an investment that gives 60% profit after a year or one that gives 1% profit after a week (assuming an unlimited availability of both at all times - and that capital is returned at same time as the profit)?  The 1% per week is better - as with compounding it outperforms the 60%.  Percentage profit on its own is meaningless - it needs an associated time-period to be a useful measure.

None of which is to deny that for ANY investor there IS a point at which buying neither of MINING or SELLING makes sense.  But I can't run a seperate version of DMS for every investor based on how they want to price them - people who believe the price now matches their personal valuation (and won't change favourably) and so want to liquidate their position represent a key part of liquidity for the securities.

Good points.  I do think there would be room for 2 or 3 more similar securites with different specs.  One for every investor who has their own idea for what spec it should have would get ridiculous.  Even 5 I think might be overdoing it.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
FloatesMcgoates

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 08:06:39 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2013, 08:17:21 AM by FloatesMcgoates

The dividend for SELLING will be today? What is your estimate?
should be in 8 hours at around .0069 btc/share ( a little higher depending on dms.purchase sales in the last day, may end up near .007)
kmtan

Activity: 196

I love Bitcoin

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 11:14:53 AM

i am in some share with DMS.  Cheesy

BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 12:29:03 PM

May I ask a newbie question? After the dividend paid out, will the price of SELLING drop automatically by system? Or it drops due to the market? Is it safe to leave pending buying orders on before dividend paying time? Will they be filled in the huge dip due to the dividend? Thanks.
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 12:47:30 PM

May I ask a newbie question? After the dividend paid out, will the price of SELLING drop automatically by system? Or it drops due to the market? Is it safe to leave pending buying orders on before dividend paying time? Will they be filled in the huge dip due to the dividend? Thanks.

No, it's the market. If you leave your buying order hanging after the dividend it will be gobbled up within seconds. Caveat emptor.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 01:41:12 PM

No, it's the market. If you leave your buying order hanging after the dividend it will be gobbled up within seconds. Caveat emptor.

The panic sell off after the dividend payout is pretty funny as the price starts rising again pretty much immediately. You're better off waiting until the day after if you want to sell. A look through the trade history will confirm this.
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 01:43:52 PM

Hours before dividend. Still a lot of buy orders hanging there. Would it be more fair if the bidding wall in a certain range be reset after dividend? Otherwise many buyers may suffer a lot.
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 01:56:08 PM

The panic sell off after the dividend payout is pretty funny as the price starts rising again pretty much immediately. You're better off waiting until the day after if you want to sell. A look through the trade history will confirm this.

Maybe it is not due to panic. The price of Purchase drops after dividend. The price of Selling roughly equals Purchase - Mining. So it should drops equally. Otherwise people may buy Purchase and sell Selling for a large gain. The price of Selling only comes back if the price of Mining drops. According to figure in coinflow, the price dropped almost the value of dividend, and the slowly comes back after around 10 days. But we can see that one month ago, the price increased only half of the dividend, maybe due to low hash rate increase.
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 02:10:17 PM

Maybe one solution is to lock the fund for a day after dividend paying, and people can only cancel orders in this period. Otherwise at least announce the dividend time one day in advance and warn those buyers leaving buying orders pending. Especially when there's a bot there to help converting Purchase.
Mabsark
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 02:21:59 PM

Maybe it is not due to panic. The price of Purchase drops after dividend. The price of Selling roughly equals Purchase - Mining. So it should drops equally. Otherwise people may buy Purchase and sell Selling for a large gain. The price of Selling only comes back if the price of Mining drops. According to figure in coinflow, the price dropped almost the value of dividend, and the slowly comes back after around 10 days. But we can see that one month ago, the price increased only half of the dividend, maybe due to low hash rate increase.

It is due to panic. Speculators want to sell their DMS.SELLING shares before the current price of DMS.SELLING drops below the price they paid minus dividends. They see the buy orders getting filled and the price dropping, which reinforces the panic that they're going to end up taking a loss. When the dust settles, the price starts to rise again and MINING starts to drop.

Go and check the trade history like I said. It's pretty clear that the sell off is due to panic. You can clearly see that if the speculators waited an extra day to sell out instead of doing so right after the div payment, they would have made more profit.

Mabsark
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 02:24:56 PM

Hours before dividend. Still a lot of buy orders hanging there. Would it be more fair if the bidding wall in a certain range be reset after dividend? Otherwise many buyers may suffer a lot.

Why will buyers suffer? Are you assuming that the new price of DMS.PURCHASE will drop below the current price of DMS.SELLING buy orders?
Mabsark
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 02:29:31 PM

Maybe one solution is to lock the fund for a day after dividend paying, and people can only cancel orders in this period. Otherwise at least announce the dividend time one day in advance and warn those buyers leaving buying orders pending. Especially when there's a bot there to help converting Purchase.

A solution to what problem exactly? Also, we already know when the div will be paid out - the same time it has always been paid out - about 1 hour and 40 minutes from now.

BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 02:57:34 PM

Why will buyers suffer? Are you assuming that the new price of DMS.PURCHASE will drop below the current price of DMS.SELLING buy orders?

I am afraid the answer is yes. Current bid of Selling is 0.002452. The new purchase price will be around 0.022 to 0.021. I think the price of Selling will drop to around 0.0019-0.0018.
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 03:03:17 PM

Would clearing the orderbooks after SELLING div payout be that bad?
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 03:05:00 PM

Would clearing the orderbooks after SELLING div payout be that bad?

I think this is also a good solution. Does it work as this now?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... 98 »
  Print  

Jump to: