Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:31:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 371 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1050 TH] BitMinter.com [1% PPLNS,Pays TxFees +MergedMining,Stratum,GBT,vardiff]  (Read 836872 times)
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 07:13:54 PM

Well, as I mentioned in the edit, for whatever reason it does seem to work now, only,  Im getting suspiciously high rejection rates on the slow nvidia/phoenix machine. On my main rig I have 2 rejects out of 6000+ (which is awesome). On the slow nv machine Im now looking at  4 rejected out of 27. Is that just terrible luck or because its so slow?

as for the fastest cuda miner; no matter, I was simply testing the 'case' and internet connection, running it headless etc, as the machine is tucked in a kewlox cupboard in a side building of my house:

[/URL]

Since it seems to work and no fire has broken out yet, so I have just ordered a 5850 to replace the nvidia card.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 07:20:37 PM

Well, as I mentioned in the edit, for whatever reason it does seem to work now, only,  Im getting suspiciously high rejection rates on the slow nvidia/phoenix machine. On my main rig I have 2 rejects out of 6000+ (which is awesome). On the slow nv machine Im now looking at  4 rejected out of 27. Is that just terrible luck or because its so slow?

Over 10% rejected is ridiculous. It could be a problem with long polling. Long polling should normally keep the rejected numbers way lower than that.

I hope this wasn't with the bitminter miner. In the last version I thought I made long polling pretty safe even with the routers that are most aggressive with killing idle connections.

Since it seems to work and no fire has broken out yet, so I have just ordered a 5850 to replace the nvidia card.

Cool Smiley Just keep it open like on the picture or I think a fire will break out. Wink

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
P4man

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 07:47:05 PM

Over 10% rejected is ridiculous. It could be a problem with long polling. Long polling should normally keep the rejected numbers way lower than that.

I hope this wasn't with the bitminter miner. In the last version I thought I made long polling pretty safe even with the routers that are most aggressive with killing idle connections.

No, it was with phoenix. But when I ran the same miner on the same machine on slush pool for a while, I didnt have any rejects. If it helps, here is a screenshot:

Cool Smiley Just keep it open like on the picture or I think a fire will break out. Wink

I actually did put a fire detector/alarm in there Smiley And Im still gonna turn it off for the night. There is a supply of firewood in there, and its right below my bedroom.  Illl probably also add a deskfan of sorts,  as despite being so open, heat does get trapped in it. Couldnt have used a worse CPU, 3.4 GHz prescott and a motherboard that doesnt let me underclock it. And with nvidia openCL its constantly running at 100%. Thats what you get when you use scrap lol. Think I have something lower power somewhere or at least a motherboard that will let me underclock it.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 08:07:49 PM

I have found bitminter to be one of the best pools when it comes to stales.

Ignore the 0MHz I am accessing the desktop remotely through RDP and that seems to confuse cgminer.

~15 hours,  19,462 shares and 5 rejected = 0.03% stale rate.

Is bitminter doing something special?  I am guessing if it is ultra fast at reporting new block via longpoll that would be the only thing that would bring down stale rate right?  Weirdly I have noticed my rejected shares are lower since I started watercooling but that can't be right because rejected shares should only depend on network latency right?

The fact that bitminter is closed source is still a concern of mine but bitminter the pool seems to be doing very well using 3rd party minter (cgminer).
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 08:50:02 PM

No, it was with phoenix. But when I ran the same miner on the same machine on slush pool for a while, I didnt have any rejects. If it helps, here is a screenshot:

I thought slush's pool didn't even have long polling? Or maybe it does now?

I see in the screenshot that you had some longpoll (LP) messages, the latest at 19:54, then nothing all the way down to 21:39. This tells me long poll has failed. You do have some rejected shares over that timerange, and that's probably the places where longpoll should have been giving you new (non-stale) work.

Maybe you have a router that kills idle connections? You could look in its configuration if there is a setting for how long TCP connections are allowed to be idle before they get killed off. This is the reason I made the bitminter miner restart the longpoll connection every 5 minutes.

Perhaps I should kill long poll connections also from the server-side after 5 minutes? I am working on getting TCP keep-alive in there though, much better solution than restarting connections all the time.

Is bitminter doing something special?  I am guessing if it is ultra fast at reporting new block via longpoll that would be the only thing that would bring down stale rate right?

The server is just fast with long polling, that is correct. I don't really see another way the server can reduce stales.

The fact that bitminter is closed source is still a concern of mine but bitminter the pool seems to be doing very well using 3rd party minter (cgminer).

Sure, I want all client software to work, and cgminer seems like a popular one nowadays.

Part of the reason you get such ultra-low stales is also cgminer I think. I heard somewhere that if it is about to submit a share and sees it is stale, it won't submit it. Something like that. And it makes sense, why submit shares you know are stale. I'll probably put something like this in the BitMinter program soon.

P4man

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 09:20:39 PM

I thought slush's pool didn't even have long polling? Or maybe it does now?

oops,  I used bitcoin.cz
I see in the screenshot that you had some longpoll (LP) messages, the latest at 19:54, then nothing all the way down to 21:39. This tells me long poll has failed. You do have some rejected shares over that timerange, and that's probably the places where longpoll should have been giving you new (non-stale) work.

Maybe you have a router that kills idle connections? You could look in its configuration if there is a setting for how long TCP connections are allowed to be idle before they get killed off. This is the reason I made the bitminter miner restart the longpoll connection every 5 minutes.

Cant find any such setting in my router. But Im using the same router with my main mining rig which has extremely few stales. Then again, maybe it is related to the speed.. if it takes the nvidia card so long to finish one share, maybe the connection times out where with my main rig it does not, as it never takes 5 minutes to complete a share with my 5850.
Perhaps I should kill long poll connections also from the server-side after 5 minutes? I am working on getting TCP keep-alive in there though, much better solution than restarting connections all the time.

For me its not worth bothering. But in the stats I see some with pretty slow machines (unless they turn them off frequently), perhaps you could check the stats and see if anyone is really suffering from many stales. As for how to solve it.. dont ask me Smiley

P4man

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 08:10:09 AM

Restarted the rat rig this morning, and again after a (short) while, its  not getting any shares confirmed:

Note this screenshot was taken after 10:00 am, so an hour and a half after the last confirmed share. It hasnt crashed or anything, MH rate is fluctuating, gpu load 100%, just not getting any accepted (or rejected) shares. Im confused.
Ill try another pool and see what happens. Maybe the nv card is buggered?

SgtMoth

Activity: 910
Merit: 1004

buy silver!

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 09:13:25 AM

my two bitminter rigs have 36000 works/89 rejects in 1 day and 3:49hrs/3 cards, this morning around 9 am i had 600(wasnt paying attention, just woke up) rejects on my guiminer, reset it and its been good all day
P4man

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 09:20:36 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2011, 10:23:29 AM by P4man

I pointed my rat rig to bitcoin.cz pool, and got some results that may shed more light on it, as for some reason its more verbose.:

It does get disconnected, but reconnects with the next block? Since that pool is much larger than bitminter,  that happens every x minutes as compared to every x days on bitminter, so it keeps working. Not sure. The last disconnection seems have been fixed without a change in block.

DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2011, 11:47:46 AM

Note this screenshot was taken after 10:00 am, so an hour and a half after the last confirmed share. It hasnt crashed or anything, MH rate is fluctuating, gpu load 100%, just not getting any accepted (or rejected) shares. Im confused.
Ill try another pool and see what happens. Maybe the nv card is buggered?

Yes, something is seriously wrong there. What amazes me is that it keeps working doing hashes all this time, but no accepted or rejected shares. And also no news from long polling.

On one machine I am running a GeForce 9400 GT at 3 MH/s with the bitminter miner and everything works fine. So it's not because your card is slow - this one is only 10% of your speed and still works. Wink

I am confused with this too. I guess bitcoin.cz must be doing something different, that keeps Phoenix happy. I just wish I could reproduce the problem, then I could find a way to fix it. Phoenix runs just fine on my main mining machine. Well, maybe I should try it with the old GeForce.

P4man

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 03:26:21 PM

Dont break your head over it. It seems to be some problem on my side. Hours later, Bitcoin.cz also stopped accepting or rejecting shares. Last share accepted was 3 or 4 hours ago, ever since I do get messages about new blocks, I get the MH rate, but its stuck on 6 accepted shares. No idea whats causing it is, but I suspect it will be solved by switching to an AMD card and diablo.

SgtMoth

Activity: 910
Merit: 1004

buy silver!

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 06:41:52 AM

wtf is going on with the price?  i might have to shut down......
P4man

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 07:02:13 AM

wtf is going on with the price?  i might have to shut down......

As a result, difficulty is going down too. I just keep mining, no matter the price. The way I see it, either bitcoin takes off in the next years, and Id bang my head against the wall for not mining now, or they dont, and Id have lost, frankly, not much. That the price is low, and the difficulty dropping accordingly makes it a great time to mine. Yes, its speculative, not that different from buying coins, but where is the fun in that Wink. Besides, for me prices would have to drop quite a bit still to make it not operationally profitable even at the current difficulty. Its still cheaper than buying coins.

conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 04:31:09 PM

But you made equally pointless to mine with your pool for part-time miners like me :-(
Good bye

... Whenever new coins are minted, they are divided between contributing members proportionally to the total score each member has within the last 10 completed shifts. You can see the completed shifts at https://bitminter.com/shifts.

The purpose of this switch is to make pool hopping pointless, thereby stabilizing payouts for 24/7 miners.
P4man

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 04:34:35 PM

But you made equally pointless to mine with your pool for part-time miners like me :-(

I kinda doubt it would make a difference. The average of the last 10 shifts.. a shift is taking over 8 hours. So its your average contribution over the last 80 hours. Unless by part time you mean you turn the rig on once every two weeks, I dont see the problem.

conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 05:06:52 PM

My puters are up about 12-16 hours per day. So maybe 53 hours every 80. In any case I would be underpaid in comparison to any other pool with regular proportional payment.
P4man

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 05:20:27 PM

My puters are up about 12-16 hours per day. So maybe 53 hours every 80. In any case I would be underpaid in comparison to any other pool with regular proportional payment.

I dont see why.  It shouldnt make any difference.  The average of the last 80 hours wont be different from the past 24h. So your payment wouldnt change either.
In fact, you will likely get underpaid in any  pool that does not use PPLNS, because those few pools that still havent adopted it, attract all the pool hoppers, and pool hoppers gain a disproportionate amount of the payouts (which means, you lose).

conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 06:01:04 PM

OK, you convinced me. I'll keep testing Bitminter a few days more, even if I suspect that with a so low Hashrate it tends to be very unlucky most of the time (BTW: how about a measure of the pool's luck in the statistics?). On the other hand, I love the app and the interface.
P4man

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 06:17:02 PM

even if I suspect that with a so low Hashrate it tends to be very unlucky most of the time

That doesnt make sense Smiley. A low combined hashrate does lead to larger variability, but statistically that has equal chances of working out in your favor or against it. In the long run, the average will not be different from anyone else.

(BTW: how about a measure of the pool's luck in the statistics?).

Look here:
https://bitminter.com/blocks

Its the CDF that is what you are looking for.  Under 50% is more than average lucky, more than 50% is unlucky.

DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2011, 06:40:00 PM

Look here:
https://bitminter.com/blocks

Its the CDF that is what you are looking for.  Under 50% is more than average lucky, more than 50% is unlucky.

Yeah, and as we can see there we aren't always unlucky. Smiley The problem was that during the nice lucky period when bitcoins were rolling in quickly, pool hoppers came and took a big share of them. You can see how the hashrate increased. When the lucky streak ended and we got some bad luck, they all left, and hashrate went back down.

This is what happens with a proportional pool. Pool hoppers take the big money from lucky rounds, and consistent miners that push the pool forward and help finish the unlucky rounds are left with the scraps.

I had to change the reward system to one that is more fair to the people who really support this pool. The average payout will now be higher than before for everyone except pool hoppers.

PPLNS does have some variance though. Sometimes a proof of work is paid 2 or even 3 times when lucky, and when unlucky it may not get paid at all. Still, if you mine some hours every day I think this will even itself out.

wtf is going on with the price?  i might have to shut down......

Yes, or maybe buy some bitcoins. The question is... will it go back up, or continue down?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 371 »
  Print  

Jump to: