Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:21:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BAMT - Easy persistent USB key based linux for dedicated miners/mining farms  (Read 167434 times)
lodcrappo (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 06:05:56 PM

For some reason, one of my 5850 cards drops off and stops mining at random intervals between a couple of hours and a couple of days. It's not due to overclocking since it does it even at stock speeds. Not due to heat, temps are around 53C while mining.

So here's my kludge to get around this and not have to check on the miner all the time:

crontab -e
add line:
Code:
@hourly      /etc/init.d/mine restart
Save. Done.
It restarts the mining process every hour. So far it works like a charm.

that'll work, but it sounds like you've got a defective card.  if under warranty i would return it.

also, why isn't the automatic dead miner detection taking care of this for you?  it does exactly the same thing as a mine restart, and does it every time you go X seconds without a share... is that not set up, or is it really not working?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kirax

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2011, 10:35:17 PM

For some reason, one of my 5850 cards drops off and stops mining at random intervals between a couple of hours and a couple of days. It's not due to overclocking since it does it even at stock speeds. Not due to heat, temps are around 53C while mining.

So here's my kludge to get around this and not have to check on the miner all the time:

crontab -e
add line:
Code:
@hourly      /etc/init.d/mine restart
Save. Done.
It restarts the mining process every hour. So far it works like a charm.

that'll work, but it sounds like you've got a defective card.  if under warranty i would return it.

also, why isn't the automatic dead miner detection taking care of this for you?  it does exactly the same thing as a mine restart, and does it every time you go X seconds without a share... is that not set up, or is it really not working?

Yeah, the auto dead miner restart would work better, because this way (assuming you have multiple cards) They are all down for a few seconds every hour. It' not a huge impact, but it will cut into your total average hashrate. If it does it at normal clocks as well, and only the one card, you might want to consider applicable warranty.

VPS, shared, dedicated hosting at: electronstorm.ca. No bitcoin payment for that yet, but bitcoins possible for general IT, and mining/GPGPU rigs. PM for details.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 08:12:00 PM

Regarding a 64 bit version, since I've had several inquires lately:

No, there isn't one, and no, I'm not going to make one.

That said, anyone is welcome and encouraged to create such a thing and you may use any of the BAMT code you find useful for any purpose you like.
You don't need any special permission from me and I won't be randomly changing licensing terms or pretending like code I didn't write or simply made some superficial changes to is now somehow my own creation.   BAMT does make some trivial changes to a few pieces of open source software, and I would never dream of denying the very people who created the original software access to the small changes I made, or playing some silly game with "ask permission first", because I do have some clue how FOSS works and I try to respect the process rather than perverting it into some insane self serving design.  I also will not take a slightly modified version of someone else's software and use it to create a competing entity while badmouthing the very people who created it.  Finally, I will try not to make an ass of myself all over the internet by setting up web sites full of ridiculous claims, creating multiple forum identities to use in faked conversations about how great my fork is, and generally being a shit human being to everyone around me.

I hope this clears up my stance on the "64 bit" issue.

jh1523

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 08:44:48 PM

also, why isn't the automatic dead miner detection taking care of this for you?  it does exactly the same thing as a mine restart, and does it every time you go X seconds without a share... is that not set up, or is it really not working?

No warranty.

What dead miner detection? Are you referring to the pool timeout threshold? That works on all the other cards. Obviously not on this one.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 08:49:03 PM

also, why isn't the automatic dead miner detection taking care of this for you?  it does exactly the same thing as a mine restart, and does it every time you go X seconds without a share... is that not set up, or is it really not working?

No warranty.

What dead miner detection? Are you referring to the pool timeout threshold? That works on all the other cards. Obviously not on this one.

if the timeout isn't working, your card is locking up and causing phoenix to completely freeze (process can't even die when the kernel sends the timeout signal.. not good).  too bad about the warranty, definitely a defect if acting that way and you're not setting any overclocking.
jh1523

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 08:54:43 PM

if the timeout isn't working, your card is locking up and causing phoenix to completely freeze (process can't even die when the kernel sends the timeout signal.. not good).  too bad about the warranty, definitely a defect if acting that way and you're not setting any overclocking.

Meh. As long as restarting the mine sets it straight I don't mind... I can live with a few shares less every hour instead of having a card idle for hours in a row.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:59:36 PM

lodcrappo -I was wondering if there was any news on the new bamt proxy or if you have incorporated phoenix 1.6.4.

Also, has anyone else had file corruption happen when the do a cold reboot of a machine? I am not sure if I just have bad luck or if this is something to be expected. The USB key is fine, but needs a fresh bamt install before it works again. Any pointers in the area would be greatly appreciated.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 11:21:16 PM

lodcrappo -I was wondering if there was any news on the new bamt proxy or if you have incorporated phoenix 1.6.4.

Also, has anyone else had file corruption happen when the do a cold reboot of a machine? I am not sure if I just have bad luck or if this is something to be expected. The USB key is fine, but needs a fresh bamt install before it works again. Any pointers in the area would be greatly appreciated.

I won't be working on BAMT in the foreseeable future due to 1 - bitcoin prices mean I don't mine any more myself, and 2 - lack of donations mean working on BAMT is a waste of my time.

Anyone is welcome to take the code and do what you will with it.   
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:30:52 AM

I won't be working on BAMT in the foreseeable future due to 1 - bitcoin prices mean I don't mine any more myself, and 2 - lack of donations mean working on BAMT is a waste of my time.

Can you please upload all the most recent code? I would be happy to work on them to help the community.

Thanks

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:32:03 AM

Can you please upload all the most recent code? I would be happy to work on them to help the community.

Thanks

everything is contained in the bamt image.  there is no "source" as all of bamt is perl and shell scripts.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:34:24 AM

Thanks

everything is contained in the bamt image.  there is no "source" as all of bamt is perl and shell scripts.

What about the /opt/bamt/fixer? Will you continue to host these fixes?
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:35:53 AM

Thanks

sure, or someone could write a fix that patched the fixer to do something else, come from somewhere else etc, and i can distribute that via the current fixer.  i always thought it would be better to use a custom apt repository but never got around to it. 
plastic.elastic

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:37:28 AM

Thanks

Is the current image included all the most recent fixes? I see on the site its up to Fix#11

plastic.elastic

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:39:12 AM

Thanks

sure, or someone could write a fix that patched the fixer to do something else, come from somewhere else etc, and i can distribute that via the current fixer.  i always thought it would be better to use a custom apt repository but never got around to it. 

I can certainly help with the fixer hosting.

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:39:54 AM

Thanks

Is the current image included all the most recent fixes? I see on the site its up to Fix#11

there are a few more.  you'll need to run the fixer or get the individual files from http://aaronwolfe.com/bamt/fix/
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:43:33 AM

lodcrappo - I am sorry to hear that you will no longer work on the project. You have done the community a great service and I hope that you stick around. While profits are being squeezed right now, the only way bitcoin can truly die is if supporters like yourself walk away.

I truly hope that you find success in whatever you do.

Thanks again.
plastic.elastic

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:44:14 AM

Thanks

there are a few more.  you'll need to run the fixer or get the individual files from http://aaronwolfe.com/bamt/fix/

Great, does the latest fix (#18) include all the previous fixes?
I'm downloading them all anyway

plastic.elastic

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:46:01 AM

lodcrappo - I am sorry to hear that you will no longer work on the project. You have done the community a great service and I hope that you stick around. While profits are being squeezed right now, the only way bitcoin can truly die is if supporters like yourself walk away.

Thanks again.

+ 1. Thank you lodcrappo

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 01:04:00 AM

Thanks again.

thanks, and thanks to the supporters who donated to the cause.   

in reality, the profits i made from working on BAMT never justified the time I put into it even at the pinnacle, but that was OK sort of, as long as I needed BAMT myself anyway.  writing software and supporting it is a lot of work, and when you have to support yourself and a family it is difficult to find time to spend on things that don't earn you any money. 

i'm not saying I won't ever work on bamt, but right now it doesn't make sense for me so it would be great if someone else wants to work on it and can afford to work for nearly nothing.  I just can't right now.

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 01:05:38 AM

Great, does the latest fix (#18) include all the previous fixes?
I'm downloading them all anyway

no, they are incremental.  the only way to ensure you have the latest of everything would be to 1 - just run fixer on a bamt system, or 2 - unpack *all* of the fixes 1-end into the same place.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: