Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:22:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BAMT - Easy persistent USB key based linux for dedicated miners/mining farms  (Read 167434 times)
lodcrappo (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 02:29:07 AM

As a way of expressing my gratitude for lodcrappo's excellent software and contributing in a way that did not require me to spend what little Bitcoins I have, I set up an anonymous FTP mirror of BAMT on an unmetered server. It can be accessed at ftp://50.53.21.166:3141/bamt/bamt_v0.4b.zip. I will add 0.5 when it is released to the public, and I'd be glad to keep the older versions on there in case anyone needs them.

Thanks!  There are many ways to help out besides sending btc, and you've done well to take the initiative and find a way to contribute.  If everybody helped according to their own resources, no matter how large or small, we would have a much nicer system than we do today.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cmg5461

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 12:41:17 AM

A bug that I've noticed (not sure it it's related to linux)

If you plug in a monitor to a video card while bamt is running everything works fine.  But when you unplug it, the web-status-thingy-ma-jig spits out an error until it's restarted.  it's a bunch of []{}\/ and |'s with a reference to status.pl inside it.

Anyone else have this issue?

If I've helped: 1CmguJhwW4sbtSMFsyaafikJ8jhYS61quz

Sold: 5850 to lepenguin. Quick, easy and trustworthy.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 12:43:41 AM

If you plug in a monitor to a video card while bamt is running everything works fine.  But when you unplug it, the web-status-thingy-ma-jig spits out an error until it's restarted.  it's a bunch of []{}\/ and |'s with a reference to status.pl inside it.

a pastebin or other capture of the exact message would be helpful, can only guess without it.

I haven't hooked a monitor up to a bamt rig in quite some time.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 12:47:06 AM

LOL! WTF is a monitor?
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 01:47:17 AM

LOL! WTF is a monitor?

Thanks guys, I really LOLed...and everyone in the office gave the WTF lay off the drugs stare.  I didn't even know BAMT had a GUI.  Doesn't it just boot to a console?  That's what my test BAMT VM does.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 03:32:07 AM

If you plug in a monitor to a video card while bamt is running everything works fine.  But when you unplug it, the web-status-thingy-ma-jig spits out an error until it's restarted. 

No seriously it probably shouldn't do that but why are you using a monitor w/ BAMT?  It is like putting a spoiler on a dump truck.

SSH is all you need for management and for routine monitoring you don't even need that, a web browser works just fine.

Splirow

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 05:18:49 AM

Just started and it is working GREAT!!

Does anybody have any tips or best configurations for my 5970's? I have 3 of them.....with BAMT.
cmg5461

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 06:21:24 AM

a pastebin or other capture of the exact message would be helpful, can only guess without it.

__.....__ .' ':, / __ _ __ \\ | |_)) || |_))|| | | \\ || | || | || _, | status.pl ||.-(_{} | |/ ` | ,_ (;|/) \\| {}_)-,||` \\;/,,;;;;;;;,\\|//, .;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;, ,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,// \\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,// ,';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;' One of the BAMT tools has suffered a fatal error. Can't use an undefined value as a HASH reference at /usr/lib/cgi-bin/status.pl line 88. Defiled: Unable to record this travesty in the deathlog! Why?: Permission denied

is all i see Smiley

reproduced it twice by unplugging the monitor from a 5970.

cmg5461

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 06:23:40 AM

If you plug in a monitor to a video card while bamt is running everything works fine.  But when you unplug it, the web-status-thingy-ma-jig spits out an error until it's restarted. 

No seriously it probably shouldn't do that but why are you using a monitor w/ BAMT?  It is like putting a spoiler on a dump truck.

SSH is all you need for management and for routine monitoring you don't even need that, a web browser works just fine.

I normally use SSH, but I'm not 100% in linux yet.  I have the monitor to fix my screwups in the putty.

cmg5461

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 06:31:11 AM

Also, is there a way to script a clock/voltage/fan change at specific times?  I manually change the clocks when my roommate and I go to sleep. (out of curtesy)

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 06:34:26 AM

__.....__ .' ':, / __ _ __ \\ | |_)) || |_))|| | | \\ || | || | || _, | status.pl ||.-(_{} | |/ ` | ,_ (;|/) \\| {}_)-,||` \\;/,,;;;;;;;,\\|//, .;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;, ,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,// \\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,// ,';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;' One of the BAMT tools has suffered a fatal error. Can't use an undefined value as a HASH reference at /usr/lib/cgi-bin/status.pl line 88. Defiled: Unable to record this travesty in the deathlog! Why?: Permission denied

is all i see Smiley

Well.. you are definitely looking at it wrong... that error looks like this:

__.....__ 
                   .'         ':,
                  /  __  _  __  \\
                  | |_)) || |_))||
                  | | \\ || |   ||
                  |             ||   _,
                  |  status.pl  ||.-(_{}
                  |             |/    `
                  |        ,_ (;|/)
                \\|       {}_)-,||`
                \\;/,,;;;;;;;,\\|//,
               .;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,   
              ,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,// 
             \\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,// 
            ,';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;'   

One of the BAMT tools has suffered a fatal error.

Can't use an undefined value as a HASH reference at /usr/lib/cgi-bin/status.pl line 88.

Defiled: Unable to record this travesty in the deathlog! Why?: Permission denied

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 07:45:40 AM

is all i see Smiley

Tracked down that error, it is occurring because the ATI ADL lib is reporting no GPU found.  That's a problem that is normally much more serious than the web interface.  I would expect it to cause mining to die entirely.

My advice: 

Don't do that.

tnkflx

Activity: 349

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 09:45:01 AM

Why don't you just modify /etc/init.d/networking so that ifup and ifdown use a different file (via the -i option) other than /etc/network/interfaces?  That works for me...

Edit:  In fact, replace the bottom part of /etc/init.d/networking just like this, then it will load interfaces from /etc/bamt/interfaces, and if you don't have a bamt interfaces file it will behave exactly as it always did:

IFFILE="/etc/network/interfaces"

if [ -e  "/etc/bamt/interfaces" ]
then
        # will use bamt network interfaces file
        IFFILE="/etc/bamt/interfaces"
fi

case "$1" in
start)
        process_options

log_action_begin_msg "Configuring network interfaces"
        if ifup -a -i "${IFFILE}"; then
            log_action_end_msg $?
        else
            log_action_end_msg $?
        fi
        ;;

stop)
        check_network_file_systems
        check_network_swap

log_action_begin_msg "Deconfiguring network interfaces"
        if ifdown -a -i "${IFFILE}" --exclude=lo; then
            log_action_end_msg $?
        else
            log_action_end_msg $?
        fi
        ;;

force-reload|restart)
        process_options

log_warning_msg "Running $0 $1 is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces"
        log_action_begin_msg "Reconfiguring network interfaces"
        ifdown -a "${IFFILE}" --exclude=lo || true
        if ifup -a "${IFFILE}" --exclude=lo; then
            log_action_end_msg $?
        else
            log_action_end_msg $?
        fi
        ;;

*)
        echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/networking {start|stop}"
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0

Can this be added to the default install? I'm using static ip addresses on all miners and need to adapt each one with this...

| Operating electrum.be & us.electrum.be |
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 10:03:08 AM

Why don't you just modify /etc/init.d/networking so that ifup and ifdown use a different file (via the -i option) other than /etc/network/interfaces?  That works for me...

Edit:  In fact, replace the bottom part of /etc/init.d/networking just like this, then it will load interfaces from /etc/bamt/interfaces, and if you don't have a bamt interfaces file it will behave exactly as it always did:

IFFILE="/etc/network/interfaces"

if [ -e  "/etc/bamt/interfaces" ]
then
        # will use bamt network interfaces file
        IFFILE="/etc/bamt/interfaces"
fi

case "$1" in
start)
        process_options

log_action_begin_msg "Configuring network interfaces"
        if ifup -a -i "${IFFILE}"; then
            log_action_end_msg $?
        else
            log_action_end_msg $?
        fi
        ;;

stop)
        check_network_file_systems
        check_network_swap

log_action_begin_msg "Deconfiguring network interfaces"
        if ifdown -a -i "${IFFILE}" --exclude=lo; then
            log_action_end_msg $?
        else
            log_action_end_msg $?
        fi
        ;;

force-reload|restart)
        process_options

log_warning_msg "Running $0 $1 is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces"
        log_action_begin_msg "Reconfiguring network interfaces"
        ifdown -a "${IFFILE}" --exclude=lo || true
        if ifup -a "${IFFILE}" --exclude=lo; then
            log_action_end_msg $?
        else
            log_action_end_msg $?
        fi
        ;;

*)
        echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/networking {start|stop}"
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0

Can this be added to the default install? I'm using static ip addresses on all miners and need to adapt each one with this...

Is there some reason you cannot make the change once and then read the image back off that key?  There's your new master with exactly the changes you like.

No reason to do anything over and over again with BAMT, ever.  Also you should apply all fixes at the same time.  Make an image as close to ready to go as possible, don't work from the downloaded stock image.

Also #2, it is highly recommended that you assign static IP addresses using DHCP reservations if you must have them for some reason.  Maintaining a bunch of manually assigned and manually configured machines is a real waste of time, as you are probably finding out.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 10:18:16 AM

Had the same problem as above yesterday.

Signature space available for rent.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 10:26:36 AM

Had the same problem as above yesterday.

My advice:  

You also should not do that.

Seriously, there is nothing I could do to fix an ATI library failure anyway.  The best I could do is display some more pretty "Sorry, your GPU won't talk to me anymore" message instead of what you're getting now..  I can't make it actually work, its gone and apparently it doesn't come back.   So.. not going to spend time on that.  Recommend to stop plugging monitors into BAMT machines. 
tnkflx

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 11:04:03 AM

Is there some reason you cannot make the change once and then read the image back off that key?  There's your new master with exactly the changes you like.

No reason to do anything over and over again with BAMT, ever.  Also you should apply all fixes at the same time.  Make an image as close to ready to go as possible, don't work from the downloaded stock image.

Also #2, it is highly recommended that you assign static IP addresses using DHCP reservations if you must have them for some reason.  Maintaining a bunch of manually assigned and manually configured machines is a real waste of time, as you are probably finding out.

I actually haven't thought of that. Thanks! I'll work from the image itself Smiley Smiley

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 11:11:15 AM

Here are some screenshots of the "gpumon upgrade" that is to be included in 0.5, if we ever do decide how to release that thing.

In a nutshell, it adds basically all the extra stuff that cgminer does to phoenix (all completely optional of course).

Auto fan and GPU clock management, flexible pool failover (multiple strategies and whatnot), lots more stats to stare at, tons of settings to tweak, yadda yadda.

Lock up your machine with style... like never before.

And if that wasn't enough...

but wait, there's more...

The new autoconf tool is sort of like DHCP for entire mining configurations.  At boot the client gathers details about the GPUs it detects and listens on the network for an autoconf server.  If it hears one announce it self (or overhears another client talking to it), it will then submit the GPU details it had collected and ask the server for a configuration.
Provided the server knows enough about those GPU models to provide one, or at least has a minimal set of defaults in place, the new rig begins mining for you without ever needing to be touched by hand.  Further refinements to it's configuration can be done from a central web based console.

See the status of all your rigs in one overview
Change pools farmwide in seconds, just takes a couple clicks
Issue commands and gather responses from groups of miners in one operation (run fixer, reboot, etc)
Add much, much more in this limited time offer.

So.. lets sort this whole 32 bit vs 64 bit thing out so I can release a 0.5 image and get this party started, eh?

tnkflx

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 11:15:52 AM

Nice, need any additional testers?

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 11:23:49 AM

Nice, need any additional testers?

we have several folks testing a 64 bit image already, unfortunately the general consensus was not good on that.
don't really want to add more to that test since i'd really like it to be over and move on to a release.

once the 0.5 image is available, we'll need lots of testers of course.  many new things, many new bugs.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: