Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 01:06:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 508 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ActiveMining] The Official Active Mining Discussion Thread [Self-Moderated]  (Read 771097 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:00:29 PM

Yes but SEC stepping in means that they would have to convince somebody to do something. As in Hong Kong officials. And I really think they might not care enough.

Where do you think bitfunder is incorporated? Where was BTCST? Hint: not in the US.
Why dont you be the hero, start an exchange, and if you get a cease and desist letter from a foreign exchange commission, just ignore it, see what happens.
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:03:09 PM

I wonder if Ken considered the option of hiring somebody to run direct shares. It may have to be a very real consideration. Didn't this same thing happen to btct just a month back or so? and then comes the notice that they'll have to close permanently...

A while back Ken wrote they already had the code for a private exchange, precisely for this reason. I commended him for that, being forward looking (and was ridiculed by many for saying that). Its in this thread. Anyway, e that doesnt change the legal status, selling those shares directly wouldnt be any more legal, unless he registers them first. He might not attract as much attention, but its hardly a fundamental solution.
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:09:31 PM

No other country in the world is oppressing its citizens like the SEC and I will eat my hat if any non-US agency sends bitfunder a cease and desist instruction.

You think that? Read up on the Australian equivalent (ASIC) and start googling for a good recipe for that hat.
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:16:49 PM

ActM is incredibly cheap 80% last IPO round price

ok
shrodes

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:21:33 PM

A while back Ken wrote they already had the code for a private exchange, precisely for this reason. I commended him for that, being forward looking (and was ridiculed by many for saying that). Its in this thread. Anyway, e that doesnt change the legal status, selling those shares directly wouldnt be any more legal, unless he registers them first. He might not attract as much attention, but its hardly a fundamental solution.

Well after the whole drama with the website design, I'm not overly optimistic about the design of a complex trading system probably created by whoever made the current ActM website.

I think the best option would be to go direct shares (though it makes liquidating shares more difficult), and hire someone to manage this if required.
kleeck

Activity: 532

https://karatcoin.co

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:22:59 PM

Well after the whole drama with the website design, I'm not overly optimistic about the design of a complex trading system probably created by whoever made the current ActM website.

I think the best option would be to go direct shares (though it makes liquidating shares more difficult), and hire someone to manage this if required.

You've seen this, right? http://mpex.co/

LOL. I think we can at least hit a slightly higher mark than that. Tongue

█ █████       ▄████▀▄██▀
  █ █████     ▄████▀███▀
  █ █████    ████▀███▀
  █ █████  ▄███▀███▓
  █ █████▄███▀████▀
  █ ███████▀████▀
  █ █████▀▄█████▄
  █ ███▀▄█████████▄
  █ █▀▄██ ▀█████████▄
  █ ▄████   ▀███████▀█▄   
  █ █████     ▀███▀▄████▄
  █ █████       ▀▄████████▄

█████                   
                ▄███  █  ███▄               
             ███      █      ███             
         ▄███         █         ███▄         
       ██    ███████████████████    ██       
    ████            ██ ██            ████   
    ██             █     █             ██   
    █ █           █       █           █ █   
    █ ██         █         █         ██ █   
    █  ██      ██           ██      ██  █   
    █   ██    ██             ██    ██   █   
    █    ██  ██               ██  ██    █   
    █     █ ██                 ██ █     █   
    █     █████████████████████████     █   
    █  ███  ██                 ██  ███  █   
    ███       █               █       ███   
      ███      ██           ██      ███     
         ███     █         █     ███         
            ▀███  ██     ██  ███▀           
                ▀████   ████▀               
▀███▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
zefyr0s

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:23:07 PM

I wonder if Ken considered the option of hiring somebody to run direct shares. It may have to be a very real consideration. Didn't this same thing happen to btct just a month back or so? and then comes the notice that they'll have to close permanently...

Aye, that's why I didn't mention it as it would likely face the similar situation as btct and now bitfunder are running into. Colored coins is the best way I think, especially if more governments come to the realization that they won't be able to restrict something that exists within the bitcoin protocol itself. I see the problem with direct shares, but I mean the further we keep getting pushed back here, the more its going to seem like downright oppression. You could make the same argument for using colored coins and say that you're still trading unregistered shares, no matter that you use the term 'colored coins'. They have to realize at some point that its going to be much easier for them to just try and adapt to the changing landscape instead of yanking it backwards so they can have it the way it should be.
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:29:09 PM

Aye, that's why I didn't mention it as it would likely face the similar situation as btct and now bitfunder are running into. Colored coins is the best way I think, especially if more governments come to the realization that they won't be able to restrict something that exists within the bitcoin protocol itself. I see the problem with direct shares, but I mean the further we keep getting pushed back here, the more its going to seem like downright oppression. You could make the same argument for using colored coins and say that you're still trading unregistered shares, no matter that you use the term 'colored coins'. They have to realize at some point that its going to be much easier for them to just try and adapt to the changing landscape instead of yanking it backwards so they can have it the way it should be.

Maybe so. OTOH, I dont think there is much harm in adhering to existing laws either. Registering a security isnt that hard, and the disclosures it requires can only be considered a good thing for potential investors. Even if these laws wouldnt apply, most of what they dictate should be common sense, and would avoid 99% of all pirate, labcoin and similar scams. Is that really worth fighting against?

The only annoying thing is that you'd have to register those securities in just about any country, it would be nice if there was some central "internet security and exchange commission".
kslaughter (OP)

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 11:35:17 PM

Maybe so. OTOH, I dont think there is much harm in adhering to existing laws either. Registering a security isnt that hard, and the disclosures it requires can only be considered a good thing for potential investors. Even if these laws wouldnt apply, most of what they dictate should be common sense, and would avoid 99% of all pirate, labcoin and similar scams. Is that really worth fighting against?

The only annoying thing is that you'd have to register those securities in just about any country, it would be nice if there was some central "internet security and exchange commission".

This is the problem, you are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
chsados

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:38:00 PM

This is just sad.

I put a good amount of an investment into activemining - knowing it was going to be a very long term investment.  now it looks like we will have to sell at a massive loss just to move shares to yet another exchange that hopefully will allow activemining to list (and not potentially close down sometime in the future).

Color Coins - where are you!
Sou

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

(Bitcoin related text here)

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:39:43 PM

@kslaughter what would you advice your shareholders to do at this point? Both US citizens and others.
redbeans2012

Activity: 887
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:41:47 PM

This is just sad.

I put a good amount of an investment into activemining - knowing it was going to be a very long term investment.  now it looks like we will have to sell at a massive loss just to move shares to yet another exchange that hopefully will allow activemining to list (and not potentially close down sometime in the future).

Color Coins - where are you!

Are we forced to liquidate our shares or not, answer this ken?
bitmoon

Activity: 242

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:47:26 PM

i am interested what happened to the guy, who paid ken to transfer from BF to btct.

i assume he is back to BF, with a big loss, and more if he is US citizen.

i feel sad for him
knybe

Activity: 658

decentralize EVERYTHING...

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:51:47 PM

i am interested what happened to the guy, who paid ken to transfer from BF to btct.

i assume he is back to BF, with a big loss, and more if he is US citizen.

i feel sad for him

ancient history.
it was VolcanicEruptor and trust me, there's no need to feel sad for him.
zefyr0s

Activity: 245

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:52:51 PM

Are we forced to liquidate our shares or not, answer this ken?

No. Why would you think that? Activemining isn't going to disappear because the exchanges are being shut down. Investors are still investors. Can't profit off of someone else's money by stealing. Only by borrowing.
knybe

Activity: 658

decentralize EVERYTHING...

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:55:41 PM

Ken have you considered this?

click: Colored Coins
kslaughter (OP)

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 11:59:49 PM

Yes, I have looked into it somewhat, I might be looking into it some more soon.
Sou

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

(Bitcoin related text here)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:05:34 AM

But those have not been implemented in to the protocol yet. But, what we could do is create a alt-coin that represents the shares.   
bitmoon

Activity: 242

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:06:10 AM

i think more crashing will come, some US are sleeping i guess
shrodes

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:07:17 AM

You've seen this, right? http://mpex.co/

LOL. I think we can at least hit a slightly higher mark than that. Tongue

I meant more about the technical design rather than the graphic design. A trading engine with robust security would be quite difficult to engineer I'd imagine, and I'd like to know more about the development of this site before we all jump ship over to it. It's good forward thinking, but the site also has to be extremely secure as we're dealing with finances, and there has to be some concern given to whether this solution would change anything at all for US shareholders.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 508 »
  Print  

Jump to: