Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:47:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 [1935] 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761533 times)
ChuckOne

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:36:20 PM

I'll try again...

Would one solution be to have a sequence of nodes, where the next 'n' forging nodes are always known not necessarily in parallel but in close sequence, so node 1 identifies node 2 and node 2 identifies node 3 (based on 1 & 2), node 3 identifies 4 (based on 1,2,3), this would create a forging mesh within the network and clients could choose which node to send to based on latency and forging window. (mobile networks and phones do something like this all the time - yes I know about dropped calls its not perfect!)

The choice of node not just based on the current params but also its awareness of the network topography would mean a continual distribution of nodes resulting in statistically a node being close in latency and forging window to a client that wanted to transact...

Depending on the capacity required the nodes would seek an optimum connection with other nodes to achieve that capacity, also if the network can advertise its current processing capacity based on its current demand and ask for more nodes who might be sleeping because not needed before.

You don't have to deploy static network models like hub/spoke or regional or whatever...

Normally people think the a system is stronger than any one single part but what I read here is how for a moment one part has to stand out from all the rest and that makes it vulnerable.

This is why we need groups of forging accounts.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:37:59 PM

I'll try again...

Would one solution be to have a sequence of nodes, where the next 'n' forging nodes are always known not necessarily in parallel but in close sequence, so node 1 identifies node 2 and node 2 identifies node 3 (based on 1 & 2), node 3 identifies 4 (based on 1,2,3), this would create a forging mesh within the network and clients could choose which node to send to based on latency and forging window. (mobile networks and phones do something like this all the time - yes I know about dropped calls its not perfect!)

The choice of node not just based on the current params but also its awareness of the network topography would mean a continual distribution of nodes resulting in statistically a node being close in latency and forging window to a client that wanted to transact...

Depending on the capacity required the nodes would seek an optimum connection with other nodes to achieve that capacity, also if the network can advertise its current processing capacity based on its current demand and ask for more nodes who might be sleeping because not needed before.

You don't have to deploy static network models like hub/spoke or regional or whatever...

Normally people think the a system is stronger than any one single part but what I read here is how for a moment one part has to stand out from all the rest and that makes it vulnerable.

groups of forging accounts = Pool Huh
ChuckOne

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:45:04 PM

I'll try again...

groups of forging accounts = Pool Huh

Not sure about the notion of pool. That is not a NXT term as far as I know.

Currently, there is only 1 account that is able to forge at a certain time.
In the future, there shall be n accounts to do so in order to avoid DoS attacks.

Hmm, I need to look up where I read that...
igmaca

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:48:08 PM

Crypto-trade is currently down for maintenance!

Update: We discovered a bug in our system which allowed someone to hack around $30 000. All coins are safe and we will pay ourself for the lost in order that any user doesn't suffer a lost. Crypto-trade.com will open back in 24-48 hours with trading halted. You will be able to withdraw your coins, USD and EUR. When all users will have been refunded, we will close the website for a undetermined period (2-3 weeks estimated) in order to fix our software and make a security audit to reopen later in best conditions. We hope you will keep trust in us, any user will have his money back without next days.

We are sorry for your inconvenience, but we are doing some new important updates which will not only enhance your trading experience but will also provide a better security to your financial assets.
salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:52:30 PM

OK...  someone needs to tell Andreas that the Bitcoin future he envisions is already a REALITY with Nxt...  SERIOUSLY!!!    Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzwWIDIVSTo#t=3128    ...watch at least until 53:54...
Edit:  Even better...  just tell him to replace Bitcoin with Nxt when making such references and...  he doesn't have to use future tense.
thank you, please do not hesitate to share another interesting videos, I am working on decentralized nxt video where I use these scenes.
salsacz

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:55:42 PM

Texas Bitcoin Conference NXT Marketing Brochure

I would like to thank bitcoinpaul, w4llace, LiQio, EvilDave and especially mvag for their prompt and generous assistance in revising my primitive, clumsy attempt at an NXT marketing brochure into this thing of beauty:

http://nxt.sx/images/resources/NXT-Brochure-4.pdf

It's still wordy, and that's my fault.  Still, This Is A Great Job.

And thank you again, generous donor, in funding 5000 copies of this to be printed at Austin, TX for my pickup there on Tuesday.

NxtMinnow, I will be sending you what I don't use in Austin for you to hand out in San Francisco.  Mail 'em on to the next Conference when you're done with them.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345619.msg5398685#msg5398685

Now, on to getting my new new2nxt.com website shaped up over this weekend...

I think someone created a redirect link for this thread... or only an alias? Hopefully there will be good info at nxt.org soon too
nexern

Activity: 597
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:56:31 PM

is there actually a "danger" of Bitcoin copying and implementing things like AE, AM and TF? Or is this technically impossible?

I read a quote today by Andronopoulos that BTC is waiting for the best altcoins to copy their standalone features and thus make BTC stronger...

yes, this is possible, even if they are very handicaped to make fundamental changes (who like to be responsible changing the wheel at 300mph and something goes wrong?) they have a very strong position. BTC can wait and see what works best and evolves fastest. i never would underestimate BTC and btw, this is the
only real mid/longterm competition from my pov. while it is true nxt hasn't converted the 'now existing features' optimal, we should also see that others are not
even close having all of them in a foreseeable time. if i hear we don't have alias/am/ae etc. i am astonished. correctly said we don't have complete 'clients' to
USE this but these features are already built in. this is a big difference in context. as said, others are not even close to have them within the core and nxt is close
to utilize these features. i am relaxed with nxt and under no circumstances i am switching from acting to reacting, just because of another announcement somewhere.
ChuckOne

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:03:18 PM

In order to reduce the somewhat bad atmosphere in that thread, I would like to mention that besides all the criticism about the setup process of NXT, we still rely on the aforementioned centralized update and source code management mechanism.

Furthermore, we should be patient as is BCNext, CfB and JL with us. We trusted them for a long time and I do not see why we should change that now. If you are uncomfortable with the NXT protocol as described in our Wiki, so think it through as did BCNext. If you are uncomfortable with the implementation, go and see for yourself if it is congruous with the protocol description in the Wiki you thought through.

Just wanted to add that.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:04:23 PM

For this, CfB said something like "they can send their transactions to trusted nodes for immediate confirmations". Could it be, he talked about trust?

I've never said this. U confuse me with Anon136.
starik69
Legendary

Activity: 1367
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:05:17 PM

Wow! Just found that NRS is spamming my temp folder with hundreds empty folders like this
Code:
jetty-0.0.0.0-7874-root-_-any-8199114305604189838.dir
Cry
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:06:38 PM

Texas Bitcoin Conference NXT Marketing Brochure

I would like to thank bitcoinpaul, w4llace, LiQio, EvilDave and especially mvag for their prompt and generous assistance in revising my primitive, clumsy attempt at an NXT marketing brochure into this thing of beauty:

http://nxt.sx/images/resources/NXT-Brochure-4.pdf

Small typo: It's Johns Hopkins University, not John Hopkins.

Just joining to correct this type-o shows COMMITMENT!

Well done, sir  Grin

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
chanc3r

Activity: 952
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:08:58 PM

I'll try again...

ARRRGHHH NO!!! THIS IS NOT ABOUT POOLS

This is about nodes having a more intelligent relationship with other nodes rather than the primitive one we have now...
See pages back on self optimising networks.

Even in the ether or whatever the internet is there are physical relationships defining the connections between nodes, define rules for which nodes establish which connections based on physics and node behaviour and you create a strong network or mesh... add a bit more where this mesh tells the clients how to work and they know where to send their transaction to get it processed fastest... there will be some collisions but as long as there are no hotspots (which the network will adjust for anyway if it can)...

You need NXT in a node to make it a strong node (aka pools) but this is about creating a strong and responsive network of nodes.

bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:10:20 PM

Currently, there is only 1 account that is able to forge at a certain time.
In the future, there shall be n accounts to do so in order to avoid DoS attacks.

Hmm, I need to look up where I read that...

Forging Groups.
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:11:20 PM

For this, CfB said something like "they can send their transactions to trusted nodes for immediate confirmations". Could it be, he talked about trust?

I've never said this. U confuse me with Anon136.

Ah, right. Anon is BCNext, and he said it. I mixed that up. Smiley
Zahlen

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:11:25 PM

Dear God, reading these last 20 pages makes my head spin.  I understand why some are frustrated with ambiguity and lack of communication, but you need to relax and be proactive!  

I know how you feel, I had to catch up with like 100 pages! And all the quote pyramids came back! My head still hurts...

Much of the mystery from BCNext is attributed to the fact that he is still developing (programming) features.  It is his right to stay anonymous.

I agree. And I think a lot of folks have built up too much on assuming that everything mentioned by CfB will come true. I'm not saying he and BCNext are lying. But some statements, you make when you think they're true/doable, but later you realize flaws with it, and the original statements go uncorrected. Some statements aren't meant to be taken alone, outside of context. The context could be "best case scenario", or "expected scenario", or "casual boast", or "very formal and literal" (i.e. be careful how you interpret it! I use this context a lot), or something else.

Like, I still don't get the focus on 1000 TPS. Maybe it's reasonable with TF, maybe it's an ideal situation, maybe something else. I dunno hardware but whatever the case economics tells me to just scale up as usage goes up, and keep costs down while usage is down (like right now), and not care too much about theoretical maximum. And since usage can be hard to predict for something as pioneering as Nxt, common sense tells me to set things up so that you can scale up and down easily.

It's much more sensible to work with what we already have. BCNext hasn't offered TF yet. That's fine, work without assuming TF. If you want to be sure of having TF, you could think about what TF could be like (I've been trying to do this.)

What we do have is the easily readable source for 0.4.7e (I've just started going through it, with my 0 Java skillz and general dislike of working with other people's code, since that makes my head hurt less than this thread Tongue) We also have the (not so easily readable) sources for newer versions (if Jean-Luc and BCNext don't wish to release them yet, I'm sure there are folks here who know how to decompile Java and make it readable for others).

We have some tools to help us understand it, the wiki comes to mind. If we put up code there, folks can freely comment on it. I'm sure all the devs here know even better tools, so please outcompete the wiki. Grin

We have some theories about what TF could be like (one of mine is that advanced consensus will involve human intervention, not just algos alone. I've talked about this before), and unresolved questions about TF (how will it deal with network latency?) Maybe, instead of all those other fancy features of Nxt, this should be our primary focus right now?

We have sporadic, terse comments from CfB. Some people find it a tease frustrating, I think of it as a grand puzzle. Either way, I think they're valuable (but again keep in mind my second paragraph). Maybe someone could gather them into the wiki?

Of course, folks may wish to trust in BCNext and wait for April instead. I'm fine with that too, I just like thinking about things. Smiley

Now personally I can't wrap my head around all of the convo about all this that's gone on in this thread. In fact I took a one week hiatus from this megathread to try to get my head away from all these distractions, so I could focus on the article I promised salsa (I'm sorry, didn't work, I still couldn't write much  Embarrassed) I've suggested other communication tools. I guess other folks don't feel they're worth trying out. But I don't think I want to keep "discussing" in this megathread too much if it stays like this, feels less like discussion and more like trying to think and speak in a loud room. But the side threads are good Smiley

We will have a committee for unreleased funds in a couple days.  I suggest that this committee also act on behalf of Nxt as our centralized "get shit done" group.  These members will be the face of Nxt.  I also suggest every committee member receive the option of 25k Nxt from unclaimed for their work.

Zahlen, please reconsider a place on the Technical Committee, I think you are overestimating the time you will need and you will be a great asset.  

Thanks for the vote of confidence Smiley I wish it were just time spent reviewing proposals. But my head tends to get "locked up" when I'm thinking about interesting stuff, and I'm pretty sure there will be *lots* of interesting proposals. (If there aren't, funding committee composition won't matter!)

25k Nxt is sorely tempting though (I know it's just your proposal for now), I could seriously use $. As much as I'd like it, the sensible approach seems to be that I just continue to BS advise when I'm free, just like any other Nxter Smiley That way there's no expectation that I keep up with all the proposals.

EDIT: If you guys like what I post, feel free to send me a tip! If you don't mind revealing your identity, send me a PM too. I've got a few tips that I feel nice about, but dunno what for.

+1 to "get shit done". Sometimes you just wing it and learn as you go along. Don't scream at someone if you think they spent Nxt badly. We're breaking a lot of new ground, we may not know what's good or bad yet. Main thing imo is whether we learn from what we do and how we spend.

I really liked Salsa's Berlin conference AAR (after action review), we should do this more, collect the knowledge and pass it down.

PS, I have a Nxt crypto audit underway, more details to follow.

Woo, great news!

rickyjames

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:14:16 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 10:22:37 PM by rickyjames

NXT FUNDING COMMITTEE VOTE STARTS IN 29 HOURS
AT 12:01 AM MARCH 1 (UTC)

CANDIDACY DECLARATION CLOSES ONE HOUR BEFORE VOTING STARTS.  
DECLARE YOUR CANDIDACY BY 11:01 PM FEB 28 (UTC)

CANDIDACY WITHDRAWAL CLOSES 24 HOURS BEFORE VOTING STARTS.  
WITHDRAW YOUR CANDIDACY BY 12:01 AM FEB 28 (UTC) OR YOU ARE GOING ON THE BALLOT

Remaining eligible nominees with as-yet undeclared intentions

2Kool4Skewl, Arckam_(frmelin), bitcoinpaul,  buybitcoinscanada, Cointropolis_JustabitTime, Come-from-Beyond
Damelon, davethetrousers, drevil,   ferment, Fry, hughmanwho, jl777, Klee, landomata, laowai80,  msin, mww
nexern, opticalcarrier, PeercoinEnthusiast,  Pouncer,  Ricot, SecondLeo, smaragda,  VanBreuk,  ZeroTheGreat

Something Zahlen said:  A candidate does not need to be good at writing English. Some candidates may not have English as their mother tongue. If you're voting, don't confuse lots of writing for ability to judge the worth of a project. Remember that ultimately the committee's job is to decide which projects get funded.

If you are on this list and want to be on a NXT funding committee, go here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=479167.msg5280476#msg5280476

Background:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345619.msg5280786#msg5280786

NOTE SLATE UPDATES:

(Actually, antanst was a little late to the nominee party and was never on the blue list above.  But he's a coder, he runs multiple NXT nodes and he wrote the NXT Reddit tipbot.  Since I'm drunk with power and making the rules here, I say he's now a candidate for techdev.  If you disagree, don't vote for him - run against him!).

(However, I am not so drunk that I'm gonna let just anybody on this slate.  Newbie BC.NXT has posted on the candidate thread.  However, after checking his credentials and posting background, I will not be listing him on the slate or ballot.   To quote the mythical American television commercial: Sorry, Charley, only the best tuna get to be Star-Kist.)

(Another non-nominated NXTer has posted to be a candidate: BaiMangal.  He is a coder, a frequent poster of serious posts, and runs the website www.quicknxt.com.  I am adding him to the slate for techdev.)

(Jean-Luc has declared his candidacy for techdev.)

(rickyjames has withdrawn his candidcy for infrastructure.)

WE NOW HAVE A FULL SLATE.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_slate

Good luck to these nominees who have declared themselves candidates:

NXTmarketingfund: allwelder, Damelon,  Mario123, Asian Prepper, joefox, brooklynbct, CoinTropolis_NiftyNikel, Uniqueorn, salsacz
NXTtechdevfund: EmoneyRu, Anon136, l8orre, abuelau, antanst, BaiMangal, Jean-Luc
NXTinfrastructurefund: chanc3r, EvilDave, pandaisftw, ChuckOne, ^[GS]^

Yeah, you may have seen this before.  I'll be putting it up every ten pages or so.  It's one of those "legitimate, transparent process" things.
salsacz

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:14:22 PM

Zahlen: thanks to negotiations in Berlin we have speakers at Austin and San Francisco Smiley
BrianNowhere

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 07:15:55 PM

Current source code (with comments) should be shared to a select group of people.

I am assuming the actual source has comments.

CFB, does it?

Very little.

This would be good usage of a bounty. Get a java programmer to go through line by line and function by function and add some comments.

Who writes a program, expects the community to vet it, implement it, write on top of it, etc and does not include some documentation? A sadist. That's who.

After reading Come-From-Beyond's comments today and all the confused (but very well intentioned) replies, I'm starting to think Emule is not so far off his rocker as we might think.

The clock is ticking and NXT has competition.

You know who already has instant transactions? Ripple.

where? and in what context?
please list them.

Ripple, Etherium, Novacoin, Peercoin, Emunie, Mastercoin, probably others I'm not even aware of.  I know Ripple is not yet decentralized but it has plans to be and XRP are transferred INSTANTLY, which is something NXT can't seem to figure out how to do. Etherium is an IPO mess but at least the lead developer LEADS, Peercoin is POS & POW, I know nothing about Novacoin but have heard they are on to some things. Emunie appears to be planning to offer very similar things to NXT.  Mastercoin is the Bitcoin version of NXT and has that going for them. Who knows who else has caught on to the ideas of POS and are working hard on an alternative?

All I'm saying is that this thing is not operating in a vacuum. All of this mysterious talking in circles does nothing but waste time. Some other project may end up stealing NXT's thunder all because the inventor/developer wants to play God. Satoshi himself may be off somewhere working on his own Bitcoin 2.0 project.

I want to believe in NXT but following these threads makes me think there's a good chance I've dumped a good deal of money in the toilet. And yeah yeah, I'm just another speculator so who cares about me, but it's thousands of people like me who will make NXT a success or not. Dismiss us all you want but for NXT to be a success you do need us. Consider me a representative sample.

NXT: 4957831430947123625
Zahlen

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:20:13 PM

Zahlen: thanks to negotiations in Berlin we have speakers at Austin and San Francisco Smiley

But will there also be booth babes? Cheesy

martismartis
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:33:20 PM

UPS!

https://twitter.com/DgexExchange/statuses/439064583756845056
Pages: « 1 ... 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 [1935] 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: