Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:08:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 [1937] 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761533 times)
BaiMangal

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:30:00 PM

Could someone explain why Proof of Stake is better than Proof of Support?

Lets say I am shit poor and I have 0 NXT but I wanna support Nxt, and I keep my pc/phone/xbox(well lets say I am not poor but I am a teen) forging.
I keep the blockchain(s) and ensure stable Nxt network as much as a guy that has 10m coins keeps the network alive, infact the guy with 10m will have issues putting his forging account on any device as for me it wont matter. So why Proof of Stake is better than Proof of Support?
Sorry for the maybe simple stupid question, I am no crypto genius, just a mortal!
you can buy million computers, you cannot buy million computers with million Nxt.

thats true!

I meant to write to have some low balance but then I put 0.
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 08:32:03 PM

Hey guys,

I am one of the admins of AltCoins Market. It's a new website about cryptocoins where you can see instantly all the information about your coins. We want to add NxT to our website but we need a blockchain where I can get the total coins mined (forged in this case) so we can calculate the market cap and the USD value. Do you know any site where I could get it using json? It would be nice to have it.

Thank you in advance and I hope you like AltCoins Market!

Hi, you can start from here:

http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=1
For purpose of marketcap just use 1 billion NXT. All the NXT is already here. Forging just recirculates, doesnt create new NXT

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
Alias

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

Money be green

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:32:36 PM

Hey guys,

I am one of the admins of AltCoins Market. It's a new website about cryptocoins where you can see instantly all the information about your coins. We want to add NxT to our website but we need a blockchain where I can get the total coins mined (forged in this case) so we can calculate the market cap and the USD value. Do you know any site where I could get it using json? It would be nice to have it.

Hello tyme,

All the NXT coins that will ever be created are in existence right now (and have been since the network launced). That number currently is 999,997,104 NXT coins (from here http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=3000&acc=1739068987193023818). Though technically that number can go down over time, it can't ever go up.

Regards,
Al

In times of change, it is the learners who will inherit the earth, while the learned will find themselves beautifully equipped for a world that no longer exists.
tyme

Activity: 64

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:36:33 PM

Hey guys,

Hello tyme,

All the NXT coins that will ever be created are in existence right now (and have been since the network launced). That number is 999,997,104 NXT coins (from here http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=3000&acc=1739068987193023818).

Regards,
Al

Thank you very much Al, appreciated. I think we will add it before this week ends.

Best, tyme.

Eadeqa

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:36:38 PM

I can see the issue but I cannot tell you the answer - if I knew the answer I would be building it Smiley perhaps between us we will find it.

Unfortunately there is no "easy answer" - basically retailers will still have to take "risks" on blockchain confirmations the same as they do when accepting credit cards (that could be stolen) or even cash (that could be fake).

The counter example would be Ripple which is instantaneous, secure, and transactions are irreversible.

I still don't fully understand how Ripple works though.

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
wakasaki808

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:36:55 PM

Hey guys,

Hello tyme,

All the NXT coins that will ever be created are in existence right now (and have been since the network launced). That number is - 999,997,104 NXT coins (from here http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=3000&acc=1739068987193023818). Here is a link to a NXT Block explorer anyway - http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=1.

Regards,
Al

NXT started with 1 billion NXT. But there were person(s) that sent NXT to the genesis account. http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=3000&acc=1739068987193023818 to destroy a few NXT.
BrianNowhere

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 08:37:15 PM

Well all things considered, I think I now know why the the management team an Inatrode were so interested in those TPS reports.
(I can't be the first to make this joke)

NXT: 4957831430947123625
^[GS]^

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:38:04 PM

Currently, there is only 1 account that is able to forge at a certain time.
In the future, there shall be n accounts to do so in order to avoid DoS attacks.

Hmm, I need to look up where I read that...

Forging Groups.

Forging Groups = Pool ...( it's similar )
Like NXTio... the only one automatic platform.

http://www.nxtio.org

Smiley
Alias

Activity: 127

Money be green

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:40:16 PM

Hey guys,

Hello tyme,

All the NXT coins that will ever be created are in existence right now (and have been since the network launced). That number is - 999,997,104 NXT coins (from here http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=3000&acc=1739068987193023818). Here is a link to a NXT Block explorer anyway - http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=1.

Regards,
Al

NXT started with 1 billion NXT. But there were person(s) that sent NXT to the genesis account. http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=3000&acc=1739068987193023818 to destroy a few NXT.

Or do I have it wrong?

You are right. My wording was poorly chosen. I have edited my post now. I hope tyme sees this. Though it shouldn't make much difference for a long while.

In times of change, it is the learners who will inherit the earth, while the learned will find themselves beautifully equipped for a world that no longer exists.
chanc3r

Activity: 952
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:40:24 PM

Could someone explain why Proof of Stake is better than Proof of Support?

Lets say I am shit poor and I have 0 NXT but I wanna support Nxt, and I keep my pc/phone/xbox(well lets say I am not poor but I am a teen) forging.
I keep the blockchain(s) and ensure stable Nxt network as much as a guy that has 10m coins keeps the network alive, infact the guy with 10m will have issues putting his forging account on any device as for me it wont matter. So why Proof of Stake is better than Proof of Support?
Sorry for the maybe simple stupid question, I am no crypto genius, just a mortal!
you can buy million computers, you cannot buy million computers with million Nxt.

Yet...

Jerical13

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:40:35 PM

I want to believe in NXT but following these threads makes me think there's a good chance I've dumped a good deal of money in the toilet. And yeah yeah, I'm just another speculator so who cares about me, but it's thousands of people like me who will make NXT a success or not. Dismiss us all you want but for NXT to be a success you do need us. Consider me a representative sample.

I'm right there with you.  

But one thing is for sure - this is a community that is chomping at the bit to make NXT work, and work right as the revolutionary invention it can be, not just make money off or it.  

One way or another things are going to be very different in six weeks.  CfB will be gone, the complete source code will be out (hopefully, and with or without comments) and we can take inventory on which of the original devs (if any, including BCNext himself) wants to stick around for Phase 2 of NXT.  And we WILL get a team together, and we WILL understand this code even if we have to reverse engineer line by line as some kind of alien tech we found in a UFO crash, and we WILL go to da moon.

CfB and BCNext are good, smart men who have my respect.  But even as my confusion grows from their cryptic words, my faith in this NXT community also grows because of the tangible acts I see it perform.  

Acts will persevere over words.  Wait and see.

jean-luc said something about releasing the code earlier to attract developers. Perhaps we should do this. His suggested date was march 1st. This will give us (well, not me) time to review the code, add comments, etc... Meanwhile CFB is still working for us and it gives us time to adapt to him leaving. It could also just be released to a smaller group of trusted individuals that will do a review, comment the code, etc..

This is the correct path to take - an intermediate group that acts as an advance scout whose main goal is to get the code ready for public circulation.

The WHOLE POINT of going open source with this code is to share it with others.  Open source code is useless to anybody who can't make sense of it.  Releasing it March 1st is a guarantee to make that happen.  Taking the month of March to show the code to a transition team of others whose sole job is to UNDERSTAND IT and COMMENT IT and DOCUMENT IT (and not ADD to it) is absolutely the right thing to do.

What is the ideal outcome we should be shooting for?  1000 new coders on April 5 that can pick up the NXT open source modules and immediately start adding many new features in a coordinated, cooperative fashion.  Are we currently on a path to achieve that ideal goal?  Hell no.  So let's use the time we've got on the clock to start moving in that direction.  Releasing undocumented, mystic / confusing code on March 1 instead of April 4 only makes the clusterf#@k happen a month early.  We don't want that.

Designate a code documenting transition team that starts interfacing NOW with the current devs.  Ground rule number one is that devs drop all the cryptic mumbo jumbo talk and come clean with the transition team where everything actually stands as of right now.  Then we can all start picking up the pieces to build something even more wonderful.  

Lewis and Clark Cheesy
BrianNowhere

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 08:41:46 PM

Well this is progress. An actual answer & link to some documentation instead of a wave of the hand and a bow to the almighty. I will definitely read it. Thanks.

I stated an obvious thing. Didn't expect that u need a lesson coz 99% of ppl here know what Ripple is.

Well Ripple is obviously flouting some law of physics that can't be breached, or is lying that they are planning to become decentralized.
I've been asking this question about ripple for a while now in different forums and you are the first person to offer an answer that I can chew on.

& I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I just figured that's the way y'all talk to each other from reading these threads and I'm just trying to fit in.

NXT: 4957831430947123625
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 08:41:57 PM

NXT is a decentralized, free market ecosystem that incorporates its own peer to peer asset exchange. The NXT Asset Exchange is a virtual market place that allows NXT users to generate assets that can be bought, sold or traded on the open market. These NXT based assets can hold a value of their own, like a crypto currency or loan marker, or be a representation of some thing physical, that has a value, like livestock, precious metals, or what ever NXT users have the creativity and capacity to imply to the asset. The NXT Asset Exchange is also capable of accepting deposits of assets that have been generated outside of the NXT blockchain such as Bitcoin, Litecoin and other crypto currencies. These deposited assets can be bought sold or traded on the NXT Asset Exchange in a similar fashion to conventional private exchanges like Cryptsy or Bter. To compliment and facilitate this free market, NXT also provides a common, decentralized currency. The NXT Asset Exchange provides a means for NXT users to buy, sell, or trade anything. Is this accurate?

I don't exactly follow what you mean when you mention unicorn assets and managing inventory. Is that just a reference to the AE being able to accept crypto deposits for trade as well as generate assets?

NXT Assets currently are issued with all of them created at once. Kind of in the spirit of NXT. However, for creating a 1:1 correspondence between the NXT AE Asset and something tangible, this issue all at once model is not quite right.

For example, in the gateway I have to exchange deposited DOGE with NXT AE DOGE. Since there are 100 billion DOGE and only 1 billion NXT AE DOGE possible, that would create a problem if more than 1% of all DOGE is deposited. For a NXTcoins that are mined at a rate of 100,000 per day it is quite important that the number of NXT assets in circulation match the number that was mined.

In order to make it easy for people to deal with these type of cases, I am creating a NXTcoins development kit where you will be able to specify (within reason) the properties of the coin, especially as it pertains to total authorized, total in circulation, creation criteria, etc.

James

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:45:13 PM

Well Ripple is obviously flouting some law of physics that can't be breached, or is lying that they are planning to become decentralized.
I've been asking this question about ripple for a while now in different forums and you are the first person to offer an answer that I can chew on.

Perhaps u missed a big campaign initiated by http://ripplescam.org/

Read it just to outbalance https://ripple.com/ propaganda.
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 08:46:24 PM

Well this is progress. An actual answer & link to some documentation instead of a wave of the hand and a bow to the almighty. I will definitely read it. Thanks.

I stated an obvious thing. Didn't expect that u need a lesson coz 99% of ppl here know what Ripple is.

& I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I just figured that's the way y'all talk to each other from reading these threads and I'm just trying to fit in.
If ripple (or anybody) could get google to run rippled on a server in all of their different data centers, then it would probably be possible to get much faster blocktimes. The big problem it seems is China's laggy connections, oh, and google is banned there too...

Jerical13

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:46:36 PM

Why can Ripple have 3 second transactions and NXT can't?

Coz Ripple is distributed and Nxt is decentralized.

That's a BS answer. According to Ripple Labs they will be just as decentralized as NXT is in the future. All that as to happen is for volunteers to host the servers instead of Ripple Labs, which is no different than asking users to pay for VPN services and running nodes. Right now Ripple is the only alt-currency/network that is ready for prime time when it comes to being point of sale capable and even if your argument were true, the merchants & users will give exactly two shits about which one is more decentralized. If it works, it works. End of story.

First one to the finish line gets to be Google. The rest will enjoy bing and yahoo status.

That's BS. It ain't over til its over. If your statement held any weight then there wouldn't be a Ripple or NXT because Bitcoin was first. The more animal that has evolved to be more adaptive will eventually feast on the flesh of the lesser adaptive.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:47:33 PM

NXT is a decentralized, free market ecosystem that incorporates its own peer to peer asset exchange. The NXT Asset Exchange is a virtual market place that allows NXT users to generate assets that can be bought, sold or traded on the open market. These NXT based assets can hold a value of their own, like a crypto currency or loan marker, or be a representation of some thing physical, that has a value, like livestock, precious metals, or what ever NXT users have the creativity and capacity to imply to the asset. The NXT Asset Exchange is also capable of accepting deposits of assets that have been generated outside of the NXT blockchain such as Bitcoin, Litecoin and other crypto currencies. These deposited assets can be bought sold or traded on the NXT Asset Exchange in a similar fashion to conventional private exchanges like Cryptsy or Bter. To compliment and facilitate this free market, NXT also provides a common, decentralized currency. The NXT Asset Exchange provides a means for NXT users to buy, sell, or trade anything. Is this accurate?

I don't exactly follow what you mean when you mention unicorn assets and managing inventory. Is that just a reference to the AE being able to accept crypto deposits for trade as well as generate assets?

NXT Assets currently are issued with all of them created at once. Kind of in the spirit of NXT. However, for creating a 1:1 correspondence between the NXT AE Asset and something tangible, this issue all at once model is not quite right.

For example, in the gateway I have to exchange deposited DOGE with NXT AE DOGE. Since there are 100 billion DOGE and only 1 billion NXT AE DOGE possible, that would create a problem if more than 1% of all DOGE is deposited. For a NXTcoins that are mined at a rate of 100,000 per day it is quite important that the number of NXT assets in circulation match the number that was mined.

In order to make it easy for people to deal with these type of cases, I am creating a NXTcoins development kit where you will be able to specify (within reason) the properties of the coin, especially as it pertains to total authorized, total in circulation, creation criteria, etc.

James

sounds good james. i was just going to issue myself as many silver nxt tokens as there were above ground ounces of silver in the world but it would be nice instead to just issue tokens as i actually produce the bars.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
chanc3r

Activity: 952
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:49:05 PM

Why can Ripple have 3 second transactions and NXT can't?

Coz Ripple is distributed and Nxt is decentralized.

That's a BS answer. According to Ripple Labs they will be just as decentralized as NXT is in the future. All that as to happen is for volunteers to host the servers instead of Ripple Labs, which is no different than asking users to pay for VPN services and running nodes. Right now Ripple is the only alt-currency/network that is ready for prime time when it comes to being point of sale capable and even if your argument were true, the merchants & users will give exactly two shits about which one is more decentralized. If it works, it works. End of story.

First one to the finish line gets to be Google. The rest will enjoy bing and yahoo status.

That's BS. It ain't over til its over. If your statement held any weight then there wouldn't be a Ripple or NXT because Bitcoin was first. The more animal that has evolved to be more adaptive will eventually feast on the flesh of the lesser adaptive.

Ripple need to make something work soon... They must be burning through all that investor cash at a hell of a rate... and its not made any big announcement or deals yet ... always tomorrow.

RucksackSepp

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:50:32 PM

Question to the pro's here:

How much nxt do I reasonably need for forging? I am a bit confused. My estimated block generation time always changes with every new block...
DrearyUrbanite

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:52:54 PM

What for? Just to have the 1st letter "A"? What about Mixing Service then? U'll spend a lot of sleepless nights trying to find a good word that starts with "A" but is related to mixing...

Amalgamation?

or perhaps Alloy?

Smiley

Or maybe aggregate?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ▄▄██████████████▄
     █████████████████████▄
   █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀▀       ▀▀██████▄
 █████████               █████
▐███████▌                 ▀███▌
████████                   ████
▐██████▌                   ▐██▌
 ███████                   ███
  ███████                 ███
   ▀██████▄             ▄██▀
     ▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
        ▀▀███████████▀▀

▄▄▄             ▄▄▄           ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▄▄▄                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄          ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
 ███             ███           ███   ███████▄      ███        ████████      ███                   ████████       ██████▄       ███   ███████████████▄
 ███             ███           ███   ███ ▀████     ███       ███▀  ▀███     ███                  ███▀  ▀███      ███ ▀███▄     ███   ███         ▀███
 ███             ███           ███   ███   ▀███▄   ███      ███▀    ▀███    ███                 ███▀    ▀███     ███   ████    ███   ███          ███
 ███             ███           ███   ███     ▀███▄ ███     ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████   ███                ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████    ███    ▀███▄  ███   ███          ███
 ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███   ███       ███████    ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   ███      ▀███▄███   ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
  ▀████████████▌  ▀█████████████▀    ███        ▀▀████   ███▀          ▀███  ▀█████████████  ███▀          ▀███  ███        ▀▀████   █████████████▀▀
                     ▄▄███████
                 ▄████████████
              ▄██████▀▀▀██████
       ▄▄   ▄███████     ████
   ▄▄███▀  ██████████▄▄▄████▀
 ▄████▀▀  █████████████████
         ████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
          ▀█████████▀
     ▄█▀    ▀██▀▀   ▄▄
    ██  ▄█▀      ▄███▌
   █████▀        ███▀
   ▀▀▀          ███▀
                ▀     

▄█████████  ███       ██▄      ▄██         █████       ████▌   ▄██████████   
 ██▌          ███        ▀██▄  ▄██▀          ██▌███     ██▀██▌  ▐██           
 ███████████  ███          ▀████▀            ██▌ ███   ██▀ ██▌  ▐███████████   
 ██▌          ███▄          ▐██▌             ██▌  ███ ██▀  ██▌  ▐██           
 ██▌           ▀█████████   ▐██▌             ██▌   ▀███▀   ██▌   ▀██████████

█████████████▌  ▄███████████▄         █████████████▌  ██▌      ▐██    ▄██████████         █████       █████    ▄██████████▄     ▄██████████▄   ▐████▄     ▐██ 
      ▐██       ▐██▀       ▀██▌             ▐██        ██▌      ▐██   ▐██                  ██▌███     ███▐██   ▐██▀      ▀██▌   ▐██▀      ▀██▌  ▐██▀███    ▐██ 
      ▐██       ▐██         ██▌             ▐██        ████████████   ▐███████████         ██▌ ███   ███ ▐██   ▐██        ██▌   ▐██        ██▌  ▐██  ▀██▄  ▐██ 
      ▐██       ▐██▄       ▄██▌             ▐██        ██▌      ▐██   ▐█▌                  ██▌  ███ ███  ▐██   ▐██▄      ▄██▌   ▐██▄      ▄██▌  ▐██    ▀██▄▐██ 
      ▐██        ▀███████████▀              ▐██        ██▌      ▐██    ▀██████████         ██▌   ▀███▀   ▐██    ▀██████████▀     ▀██████████▀   ▐██      ▀████ 
  (
BUY LLN
)Twitter
Facebook
Telegram
Pages: « 1 ... 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 [1937] 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: