Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:34:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636401 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 05:38:54 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2015, 05:50:51 AM by Anon136

Just checking in to remind everyone that it's still awesome and amusing that reddit banned the oil shills from r/science. Suck it, conservatards.

Why is EVERYTHING a conspiracy with you guys. I mean I do believe conspiracies are real, but good lord it's just non stop with you guys, you cant formulate a single sentence without alluding to a conspiracy. It's exhausting. We don't do that. Even though there is massive amounts of money and power that stands to be gained from the proliferation of your ideas for certain wealthy and powerful interests, we don't accuse every dissenting comment to be the product of state shills or shills for the green industry cronies. A little reciprocity would be nice.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:25:06 PM

Just checking in to remind everyone that it's still awesome and amusing that reddit banned the oil shills from r/science. Suck it, conservatards.
When greentards become pro nuclear I will believe that they are not actually oil and coal shills.

Because being a Nuclear Power Denier means more fossil fuel will be used.  Suck it, greentard.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:25:50 PM

When greentards become pro nuclear I will believe that they are not actually oil and coal shills.

Because being a Nuclear Power Denier means more fossil fuel will be used.  Suck it, greentard.

greentards: "because less CO2 means more green leaves"

QFT.. not.  Cheesy
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 01:40:39 PM

Unfortunately for everyone, both oil and nuclear power are profit-driven enterprises. They are poisoned by the disease of capitalism.

John Oliver and Bill Nye on climate change

Sci Show on climate change

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:46:16 PM

Unfortunately for everyone, both oil and nuclear power are profit-driven enterprises. They are poisoned by the disease of capitalism.

oh please.. what is not in these days.. bitcoin? Grin
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 01:52:54 PM

Cryptocurrency is the democratization of money, terrible for a select few people, great for everyone else on the planet.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 02:33:31 PM

Cryptocurrency is the democratization of money, terrible for a select few people, great for everyone else on the planet.

mehe, cant have the begining of a tangible/objective argument here instead of parroting like a idiot the noobish bitcoin pitch you've been told? no wonder you also get fudge by that green saussage. DP to teh people! ^^
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 02:58:33 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2015, 03:23:34 PM by Spendulus

John Oliver and Bill Nye on climate change

Sci Show on climate change

Unfortunately for everyone, both wind energy and solar energy are profit driven enterprises.  They are truly poisoned by the disease of klepto krony kapitalism.

LOL...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 03:16:42 PM

Gov. Jerry Brown: Cruz “Unfit” To Be President Because He Doesn’t Get Climate Change Is So Urgent It Requires Almost A “Crusade”

See, Climate Change is a religion.

California Gov. Jerry Brown (D), speaking Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” deemed Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) “unfit” to run for president because of his views on climate change.

“That man betokens such a level of ignorance and a direct falsification of the existing scientific data,” he said. “It’s shocking, and I think that man has rendered himself absolutely unfit to be running for office.”

Brown said there should be urgency to deal with climate change. “I think this almost has to be at the level of a crusade,” he said.

This week, Brown announced a $1 billion emergency package to deal with the state’s drought, which is entering its fourth year. “We are running out of time because it’s not raining,” he said. “This is a serious matter we’re experiencing in California, as kind of a foretaste. But there is no doubt that into the future, we’re going to have more problems.” He also said research results show a “connection” between California’s drought and climate change.

When asked by host Chuck Todd whether he would run for president if he was 10 years younger, Brown said he would.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/03/22/ted-cruz-unfit-to-run-for-president-because-of-his-views-on-climate-change-jerry-brown-says/

------------------------------------------------------------------
100 000 + views! Thank you for participating all of you, especially the warmists. A warmist's input is always welcome here and highly valuable, full of data and links to support their religion, as everyone can see...

Grin Cheesy Grin

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 03:26:41 PM

100 000 + views! Thank you for participating all of you, especially the warmists. A warmist's input is always welcome here and highly valuable, full of data and links to support their religion, as everyone can see...

Grin Cheesy Grin

Even trolls are welcome.

Even the paid Warmer troll who repented and told us how much he was getting paid.  I can't recall, maybe there were two of those.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 03:33:51 PM

Grin Cheesy Grin

Even trolls are welcome.

Even the paid Warmer troll who repented and told us how much he was getting paid.  I can't recall, maybe there were two of those.

That is true. Too bad the search tool is (still?) broken in bitcointalk.org. I'll have google that post one day.

Maybe I need to be a paid warmist troll. I will point to every single post by this Wilikon fella and ask for extra $$$ to fight him off, until the last polar bear...

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 02:29:47 AM

100 000 + views!
That is the highest view count in the Politics and Society forum.

For a somewhat goofy and arcane subject, albeit one that people are constantly browbeat with, I am surprised.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:10:43 AM

Report: FEMA to Dole Out Disaster Preparation Cash Only to States That Buy Into Global Warming Hoax

This is absolutely dispicable.

I was bothered/disgusted when GW Bush allowed California to be ass-raped in an unsuccessful attempt (we later found out) bail out his buddy Ken Lay.  I was down there at the time with rolling blackouts going through Silicoln Valley.  We worker bees 'got' to go home, but I was vastly more interested in working on my projects than doing so.  I cannot imagine how much it cost the industry.  A year before that I had been home to Oregon and watched a 12 gas line go in faster than I've ever seen people work.  While I was stopped at a crossing and BSing with one of the workers the guy told me that the gas was to be flowing into the area and back down into the ground for storage.  After getting hit with a monster gas bill back down in CA it hit me how that game was played.

(Oh, BTW, I might mention again that Ken Lay was on President Clinton's 'President's Council on Sustainable Development' funny enough.)

The Feds playing such games is beyond repulsive.  Under Obama they have done the same type of thing to get the Common Core education regime fast-tracked through all the governors and generally perfected the technique to a form of art.  The local 'non-profit' watershed association can pull in well over $100,000 to dump 8 or 10 logs in the river these days...and the logs are usually donated!  The Feds clearly have way to much money than is good for our states and our nation.  I see now more clearly the incentive toward auditing the fed and states rights efforts.  Better late than never I guess.

If I were in Jindel's shoes I would take the money, but in doing so make a giant overblown tongue-n-cheek clown-act at how much I believed in catastrophic global climate change and how all the $billions of dollars flowing down from the Fed has made the problem very clear and so on.  I'd go on all the comedy TV shows (if any would allow me on) and so on making fun of the whole scam.  I'd have about 50,000 ideas about what projects can help with the looming crisis and put them all into a hat and make a big show about picking them out.  I'd get together with the like-minded leaders and do various Python-esque skits.  Really try to draw attention to the scammery, and the NRDC would be a major punching bag.  Stuff like that.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:11:55 AM

100 000 + views!

For a somewhat goofy and arcane subject, albeit one that people are constantly browbeat with, I am surprised.

The weather has always been the #1 topic of conversation.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:29:20 AM

100 000 + views!

This number states that science is not yet settled...

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 12:01:22 PM

100 000 + views!

Let's look at the type of threads on the Reddit climate forum, reddit/r/climate, and see if they are interesting.

Atlantic Circulation Weaker Than In Last Thousand Years

Global warming is now slowing down the circulation of the oceans
— with potentially dire consequences

Koch Money, Misleading Climate Change Exhibit Threaten Smithsonian Credibility

Farcical evidence of Gov. Rick Scott's ban on "climate change" from the Florida legislature
Michael Mann - Real Scepticism

New Research Shows Exceptional Slowdown In Major Atlantic Ocean Currents

US Could Slash Global Warming Emissions By Curbing Fossil Fuels Extraction On Public Lands. Fossil fuel extraction on public lands, the source of almost 30% of U.S. energy production

"We are in uncharted territory with respect to lack of severe weather"

Climate-sceptic US senator given funds by BP political action committee

Ted Cruz Goes Full Orwell

Is A Climate Sceptic Behind The Latest Anti-Renewables Report?

Obama administration unveils new fracking rules

What I see here in terms of actionable items is an agenda of "Anti-Fossil-Fuel" items and "anti-fossil-fuell-backers".   This is quite interesting because it's not exactly anti-fossil-fuel.  It's almost exclusively anti USA fossil fuel...

Not one hostile or negative word about Arab oil sheiks.  

Who'd bet they are actually the ones controlling these puppets?
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 02:27:15 PM

100 000 + views!

Let's look at the type of threads on the Reddit climate forum, reddit/r/climate, and see if they are interesting.

Atlantic Circulation Weaker Than In Last Thousand Years

Global warming is now slowing down the circulation of the oceans
— with potentially dire consequences

Koch Money, Misleading Climate Change Exhibit Threaten Smithsonian Credibility

Farcical evidence of Gov. Rick Scott's ban on "climate change" from the Florida legislature
Michael Mann - Real Scepticism

New Research Shows Exceptional Slowdown In Major Atlantic Ocean Currents

US Could Slash Global Warming Emissions By Curbing Fossil Fuels Extraction On Public Lands. Fossil fuel extraction on public lands, the source of almost 30% of U.S. energy production

"We are in uncharted territory with respect to lack of severe weather"

Climate-sceptic US senator given funds by BP political action committee

Ted Cruz Goes Full Orwell

Is A Climate Sceptic Behind The Latest Anti-Renewables Report?

Obama administration unveils new fracking rules

What I see here in terms of actionable items is an agenda of "Anti-Fossil-Fuel" items and "anti-fossil-fuell-backers".   This is quite interesting because it's not exactly anti-fossil-fuel.  It's almost exclusively anti USA fossil fuel...

Not one hostile or negative word about Arab oil sheiks.  

Who'd bet they are actually the ones controlling these puppets?

It would not be the first time checks from sheiks was used to pay puppets, or worse, useful idiots... You are 100% right: Smells like teen spirits arab oil muppets (A.O.M.)...

(2012) Matt Damon Surprised To Learn His Anti-Fracking Film Was Funded By Foreign Oil Wealth

Actor Matt Damon was surprised to learn his new anti-natural gas fracking movie was funded in part by Mideast oil nation the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Hydraulic fracking is a technique used to get natural gas out of the ground which could help make domestic natural gas a cheaper competitor to foreign oil.

"The Promised Land," starring Damon and John Krasinski of "The Office," is being financed in part by Image Nation, a film company completely owned and operated by the government of the UAE.

Damon was asked about the foreign-oil funding by documentary director Phelim McAleer at a Dec. 3 promotional event in New York. McAleer, who is directing the upcoming pro-fracking film "Frack Nation," asked Damon:

"How does it feel to be a fully-paid advocate for an oil-rich Middle Eastern government - and, doesn't that really negate any artistic credibility... that 'The Promised Land" might have?"

Damon, who also serves as writer and producer on the movie, replied, "[T]he first time we were aware that Image Nation was involved with our movie was when we saw the rough cut and saw their logo."

Damon explained that part of the funding comes from Participant Media which has a "blind slate deal" with Image Nation that pays for ten percent of all of Participant's films. Participant is known for making liberal issue movies such as "Food Inc.," "Syriana," and "An Inconvenient Truth."

Many oil-rich nations stand to lose a substantial amount of income if fracking opens up an alternative fuel source inside the United States. Crude oil represents a full 45 percent of the UAE's exports, according to the CIA World Factbook.

The Heritage Foundation had previously reported on Damon's conflict of interest, noting that there was "a direct financial interest on the UAE's part in slowing the development of America's natural gas industry."

"Hollywood elites such as Matt Damon don't seem to think that the rules they want to impose on the rest of us apply to them," McAleer told the Media Research Center.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/mike-ciandella/matt-damon-surprised-learn-his-anti-fracking-film-was-funded-foreign-oil-wealth

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:14:06 PM

I don't know the validity of this report, but it seems exhaustive, and I've not seen any compelling rebuttal from the other side:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/04/the-epic-hypocrisy-of-tom-steyer.php

It really does seem to be the case that a defining difference between Steyer and the Koch dudes is in what part of the world there energy investments happen to have been focused rather than the basic sources of their wealth.

When the beneficiaries of Steyer's funds are induced to talk about this at all it seems to be a brief assertion that maybe the guy dabbled in bad stuff earlier but he's since changed his ways and is now trying to save the planet.  Maybe so, but it's certainly the case that one would likely be endowed with a keen sense of politics if one made a billion dollars running a hedge fund.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:46:19 PM

Dem Rep Ridiculously Blames 7,700 American Deaths On Global Warming… And The Claim Is False…

Virginia Democratic Rep. Don Beyer repeated the claim that more than 7,000 Americans were killed by “climate change-fueled” natural disasters last year in an attempt to tie burning fossil fuels with extreme weather.

The claim, however, is patently false, according to Politifact. It’s also a horribly misleading based on the data.

Beyer has at least twice this year made the claim that “more than 7,000 Americans lost their lives to climate change-fueled events last year.” Politifact took a close look at Beyer’s claim and rated it “false.” Beyer’s staff even admitted making an error in the claim, saying it should have referred to global deaths from natural disasters, and not just U.S. deaths. (The number cited by Beyer also includes earthquakes… which aren’t related to climate)

The misleading nature of Beyer’s claim goes even further; to the heart of the global warming debate. Democrats and environmentalists have been working hard to try and tie in nearly every natural disaster or severe weather event to global warming.

Indeed, Beyer himself argued that “global temperature changes are causing prolonged droughts, extreme weather events and rising sea levels” adding that “millions more are at risk unless we act to reverse the disastrous effects.” But such claims are dangerously misleading.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/03/24/dem-blames-global-warming-for-7700-american-deaths-its-completely-false/

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 08:12:44 PM

Global Warming Turns Rainforest Leaves into Junk Food

Like those breakfast cereals that look healthy on the box but have even more sugar inside than Cocoa Puffs, some rainforest trees engage in false advertising. It’s not their fault—it’s ours. Climate change has made their leaves less nutritious than they used to be. And the animals who live off of those trees don’t exactly have another store to shop at.

Experiments in labs and greenhouses have given scientists mixed answers about what happens to plant tissues in a changing climate. So primate ecologist Jessica Rothman of Hunter College and her coauthors set out to get some facts from a real-world setting. To do this, they combined several decades’ worth of data from the rainforests of Uganda.

One team member, Duke University’s Thomas Struhsaker, had kicked things off way back in 1979. He’d sawed off mature leaves from various species of tree in Uganda’s Kibale National Park and let them dry in the sun. Later, researchers had analyzed the chemical makeup of those leaves. In 2007, Struhsaker returned to the park with Rothman and other researchers and retraced his steps. (Luckily, his three-decades-younger self had left a map of what he did.)

Over the next three years, the researchers gathered leaf samples from the rainforest trees. They studied 10 different tree species and sampled them at least once each year, so that a one-year fluke would be less likely to skew their results. As before, they dried the leaves in the hot equatorial sun, then crushed them and brought them back to the lab for analysis.

While they were at it, the scientists also recreated similar work that one of them, Colin Chapman of the New York Consortium in Evolutionary Primatology, had done in the mid-1990s. This meant gathering younger leaves from eight tree species that the local red colobus monkeys like to munch on.

The scientists analyzed all these leaves and discovered a clear pattern. Everywhere they looked, foliage had become less nutritious. All but one of the 10 tree species first studied in the 1970s now had more fiber and less protein making up its mature leaves. The young leaves from trees studied in the 1990s had also increased in fiber and decreased in protein content.

And these changes weren’t small. In the two tree species whose young leaves are most often eaten by red colobus monkeys, the ratio of protein to fiber had decreased by more than 30 percent. Overall, “Our results suggest that nutritional quality of foliage has declined…over the last 15–30 years,” the authors write.

They aren’t sure which factors in the environment are causing the change in leaf chemistry. Kibale has become substantially hotter and wetter over the last century. Earlier studies found that tropical trees receiving extra rainfall end up with lower nitrogen concentrations; nitrogen is a building block of protein. In forests that are facing drought, the results might be different.

Leaf-eating monkeys seem to choose the trees with the best ratio of protein to fiber in their leaves. If leaves are becoming less nutritious, these forests might not be able to support as many monkeys. But there’s some good news, Rothman writes. Colobus monkeys in Kibale haven’t started disappearing—not yet, at least. They may be making up for their junk food diets by eating extra leaves or switching to different preferred trees. Or there might be a lag time before we can see the effect on these animals.

Even if local monkeys are managing the changes for now, these tropical trees feed a host of other mammals, reptiles, birds, and insects. All of them are on a new food regimen they didn’t ask for, which could affect the health of the whole ecosystem. Maybe we should ship them some Cocoa Puffs.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/inkfish/2015/03/24/global-warming-turns-rainforest-leaves-into-junk-food/#.VRHDNe7F9Nx

Pages: « 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: