Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:53:03 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636405 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 05:50:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QtnueIJGjc#t=116

Sun is the Main Driver of Climate Change and Global Warming or Cooling say Friends of Science – Not You or 400 ppm CO2

Carbon dioxide (CO2) levels reported to have reached 400 ppm at Mauna Loa Observatory sent climate change activists like James Hansen, Al Gore, 350.org and Scientific American into a frenzy but Friends of Science say solar and ocean cycles are the main drivers of climate change, not CO2. With no global warming in 16 years despite a rise in CO2, the role of declining water vapor in upper atmosphere partially negates the ‘heat-trapping’ effect of CO2.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/5/prweb10729310.htm

Well, it's rather interesting that at least in verbal or post driven argumentation, AGW believers typically don't fare too well.  Doesn't mean they are wrong - some subjects don't do well in debate as over simplifications lend credence to one side or another.  "If the glove don't fit you gotta acquit", etc...

I guess what I am curious about is for those here who sincerely believe in the general theory of man warming the planet, what do they think about Reddit banning so called 'deniers?' and why?

If you click back on my main link, just browse all the way down for the comments. Looks like they loved that move.
But Grist always has selectively deleted posts to drive away people who didn't like their attitude and worldview.  Grist, as I recall, the editor there is the guy that invented the phrase "Denier" as applied to climate skeptics.  Bunch of nutjobs.

Example from their postings...no, it isn't the Onion.

The only genocide here, active as well as passive, is that caused by the increased floods, fires, droughts, crop failures, storms, social chaos and other effects of global climate catastrophe. Those few rich people causing the vast majority of it are guilty of crimes against humanity and the Earth, and all you denying delayalists are guilty of conspiracy and aiding and abetting felons. In some places the felony murder charge is applicable. That's 150,000 to 300,000 counts a year; a lot of prison time for you folks. I'd like to help you avoid that but you have to cooperate. Stop spreading delayalist lies, go through the Truth and Reconciliation Committee process when you get the chance and help solve the problem, starting now.

Solar, wind, efficiency, reforestation, local organic low-meat permaculture are the answers. Pick one or more and learn about it so you help.

While I can see the point behind the statement, taking it literally obviously wouldn't make any sense. That would be like penalizing anyone who has bought processed meat for the inhumane treatment of animals - yes, it happens - no, you're not responsible for it (at least not in a macroscopic sense).
I would not be concerned with anything on the propaganda site, Grist.com, because their webpage hits are so low as to be insignificant.

Meanwhile the relatively fair and unbiased climate site,

wattsupwiththat.com

...has about a quarter million hits per month.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 01:22:04 AM

OBAMA PLANS 'EXECUTIVE ORDER' FOR UN CLIMATE RULES

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/01/us/obama-to-offer-major-blueprint-on-climate-change.html

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 11:48:18 AM

Executive orders that hit peoples' pocketbooks would be resisted.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 02:23:32 PM

Canadian Activist Claims Global Warming Violating Arctic-Dwelling Inuit’s “Right To Be Cold”…

Perhaps no Canadian has done as much for the people of the Arctic than Sheila Watt-Cloutier. In her new memoir The Right to be Cold she articulates her vision for protecting the North from the ravages of global warming. In this interview with Peter Robb she talks about the meaning behind the title of her book.

Q. What is the Right to be cold?

A. Inuit culture is based on the ice, the snow and the cold. It’s very foundation depends on the climate being cold … freezing cold. The animals and the Inuit hunting culture thrive on the cold. Therefore when the climate changes and/or warms it creates an imbalance to the cycles of nature which allow for all living things to be healthy and thriving. The ice, snow and cold in the Arctic are all about transportation and mobility. Therefore when the conditions become precarious as a result of the melting, it becomes an issue of safety and security. Then our right to culture, our right to educate our children on the land, our right to safety, our right to health all become impacted by these rapid changes. In essence our Right to exist as Inuit as we know it is impacted. As we defend our Right To Be Cold, the outgrowth of our efforts also defend the Right for all citizens of the world to have a healthy environment and a stable climate.

Q. Do you consider yourself to be an Environmentalist?

A. I do not consider myself to be an Environmentalist in the commonly known definition. I came in to this work as a elected official of the Inuit Circumpolar Council to represent our people, the Inuit of the Circumpolar world, at the international level. It was a political mandate much like a Foreign Affairs minister in a federal system would have in representing Canadians. I worked, as ICC officials work, to ensure Arctic/Inuit voices are heard at the UN level, Arctic Council level and many other forums to help negotiate international treaties. Our Indigenous organizations work as quasi-political organizations even though we are classified as NGOs.

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/books/q-and-a-sheila-watt-cloutier-seeks-some-cold-comfort

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 02:30:37 PM

Canadian Activist Claims Global Warming Violating Arctic-Dwelling Inuit’s “Right To Be Cold”…

Perhaps no Canadian has done as much for the people of the Arctic than Sheila Watt-Cloutier. In her new memoir The Right to be Cold

Let me guess.

She wouldn't look good in one of those bikinis that Global Warming would bring to her villages?
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 03:10:49 PM

Perhaps no Canadian has done as much for the people of the Arctic than Sheila Watt-Cloutier. In her new memoir The Right to be Cold

Let me guess.

She wouldn't look good in one of those bikinis that Global Warming would bring to her villages?

I would guess just looking at a bikini could be a cause of micro aggression for her and her whole culture...

Cool

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 03:41:48 PM

Let me guess.

I would guess just looking at a bikini could be a cause of micro aggression for her and her whole culture...

Cool

Let's be clear about one thing.  There is something that the "advanced nations" are marketing to the third world, to ignorant people of the world, and undeveloped and underdeveloped nations.

The ability of the "Advanced nations" to control weather, to control the future of the world, and the type of climate a particular region will get.

Clearly, this is a message that underdeveloped nations should suck up to and heed, or face the consequences.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 04:30:17 PM

Let me guess.

Cool

Let's be clear about one thing.  There is something that the "advanced nations" are marketing to the third world, to ignorant people of the world, and undeveloped and underdeveloped nations.

The ability of the "Advanced nations" to control weather, to control the future of the world, and the type of climate a particular region will get.

Clearly, this is a message that underdeveloped nations should suck up to and heed, or face the consequences.

Yes that 'lady' at the UN said that much. It was never about making the planet better for everyone.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/021015-738779-climate-change-scare-tool-to-destroy-capitalism.htm

http://www.unric.org/en/latest-un-buzz/29623-figueres-first-time-the-world-economy-is-transformed-intentionally

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-hollingsworth/un-s-top-climate-official-goal-intentionally-transform-economic-0

Why can't the Inuits, for example, exploit all the natural resources they have on their land and become as rich as they can?

Instead you get this "Don't be like us! We are evil! Stay the way you are. Forever!" patronizing message from all of those so called green planet lovers, flying all over the world, non stop, to save Earth from ourselves...

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 04:32:38 PM

Let me guess.

I spent a fair number of years in Bristol Bay, Alaska commercial fishing in the summers.  The Indigenous Peoples (tm) also have a right to be warm when they wish to be and the government brings fuel oil in by the barge full to facilitate this.

Said peoples also have a right to modern medical care which, of course, is only practical in the larger population centers hundreds or thousands of miles away.  People tend to get a pain in the elbow when they run low on supplies.  They take their shopping bags with them when they go to see the doctor.  Stopping at the doctor's office is something of a formality.

Native: "It hurts when I do this: "
  Doc: "Don't do that.  See you in a few months."

Needless to say these provisioning of rights happens at government expense.  Alaska has a ton of money from fossil fuels so it's not like the funds come from taxpayers especially.  It's distributed throughout the userbase of fossil fuels generally.  The indigenous people's who are being such tools of the environmental movement may find themselves regretting their support when this revenue stream dries up.  When more local people see the direct impact of the various kinds of inefficiency and abuse (taxes, resource contention, etc) they may be more incline to push back a bit.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 07:26:16 PM

White House: Global Warming ‘Deniers’ Shouldn’t Have A Say On UN Treaty

White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters Tuesday that senators who “deny” man-made global warming probably shouldn’t have any say over an international agreement to cut carbon dioxide emissions.

“Well these are individuals whom, many of whom at least, deny the fact that climate change even exists,” Earnest said when asked by a reporter. “So I’m not sure they would be in the best position to decide whether or not a climate change agreement is one that is worth entering into.”

http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/01/white-house-global-warming-deniers-shouldnt-have-a-say-on-un-treaty/

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 02:32:27 PM

UN Climate Official: “We Should Make Every Effort” To Decrease World Population (VIDEO)

(4:20-5:45)

Climate One founder Greg Dalton and the Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCC) Christiana Figueres, held a discussion in 2013 on the role of women in fighting Global Warming.

During the interview Secretary Figueres stated, We should should “make every effort,” to reduce the world’s population in an effort to fight Climate Change:

DALTON: A related issue is fertility rates in population. A lot of people in energy and environmental circles don’t wanna go near that because it’s politically charged. It’s not their issue. But isn’t it true that stopping the rise of the population would be one of the biggest levers and driving the rise of green house gases?

FIGUERES: I mean we all know that we expect nine billion, right, by 2050. So, yes, obviously less people would exert less pressure on the natural resources.

DALTON: So is nine billion a forgone conclusion? That’s like baked in, done, no way to change that?

FIGUERES: Well there again, there is pressure in the system to go toward that; we can definitely change those, right? We can definitely change those numbers and really should make every effort to change those numbers because we are already, today, already exceeding the planet’s planetary carrying capacity, today. To say nothing of adding more population that is really going to overextend our capacity. So yes we should do everything possible. But we cannot fall into the very simplistic opinion of saying just by curtailing population then we’ve solved the problem. It is not either/or, it is an and/also.

http://www.progressivestoday.com/un-climate-official-we-should-make-every-effort-to-decrease-world-population-video/

------------------------------------------------------
You hear it directly from the mouth of the beast. The agenda is clear. And it does NOT include her or anyone she knows, love or work with...

But we (as in anyone she does not know exist, even the humans who agree with her) should clear up the planet by dying quickly...

We shall DENY her that "right" by breathing as long as we can, just like her.

Cool

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 02:58:29 PM

ITT: non-scientist assclowns parroting oil industry propaganda, such as "climate change is not caused by humans, it's a natural cycle!"

Sci Show - Climate Change

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 05:41:01 PM

UN Climate Official: “We Should Make Every Effort” To Decrease World Population (VIDEO)

https://i.imgur.com/4VgaM6I.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGksEgSwk8 (4:20-5:45)

Climate One founder Greg Dalton and the Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCC) Christiana Figueres, held a discussion in 2013 on the role of women in fighting Global Warming.

During the interview Secretary Figueres stated, We should should “make every effort,” to reduce the world’s population in an effort to fight Climate Change:

DALTON: A related issue is fertility rates in population. A lot of people in energy and environmental circles don’t wanna go near that because it’s politically charged. It’s not their issue. But isn’t it true that stopping the rise of the population would be one of the biggest levers and driving the rise of green house gases?

FIGUERES: I mean we all know that we expect nine billion, right, by 2050. So, yes, obviously less people would exert less pressure on the natural resources.

DALTON: So is nine billion a forgone conclusion? That’s like baked in, done, no way to change that?

FIGUERES: Well there again, there is pressure in the system to go toward that; we can definitely change those, right? We can definitely change those numbers and really should make every effort to change those numbers because we are already, today, already exceeding the planet’s planetary carrying capacity, today. To say nothing of adding more population that is really going to overextend our capacity. So yes we should do everything possible. But we cannot fall into the very simplistic opinion of saying just by curtailing population then we’ve solved the problem. It is not either/or, it is an and/also.

http://www.progressivestoday.com/un-climate-official-we-should-make-every-effort-to-decrease-world-population-video/

------------------------------------------------------
You hear it directly from the mouth of the beast. The agenda is clear. And it does NOT include her or anyone she knows, love or work with...

But we (as in anyone she does not know exist, even the humans who agree with her) should clear up the planet by dying quickly...

We shall DENY her that "right" by breathing as long as we can, just like her.

It's pretty much a fact that a fair amount of money was put into figuring out how to sterilize women with vaccines in the early 90's.  The technique is moderately clever; make a woman have antibodies to a hormone necessary to sustain a pregnancy.  With a property sequenced series a woman can be made permanently sterile.

The documentation describing the research showed a fair amount of excitement at the fact that the technique showed no obvious impacts other than being unable to maintain a pregnancy.  Menstruation and such was normal.  It was not explicitly stated, but this obviously opened the possibility for the system to be employed covertly.  According to some, the UN wasted no time in putting the system into action and did some programs the Philippines and Central America.  They happened to sterilize a Filipino MD who wanted to have a kid and she figured things out.  They seem to have taken a rest for several decades, but the propensity for malevolence can only be suppressed for so long.  Fast-forward to the recent kerfuffle in Kenya.  It looks damn suspicious to me.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/mass-sterilization-kenyan-doctors-find-anti-fertility-agent-in-un-tetanus-vaccine/5431664

Now one may classify the thought that anyone would actually used the technique covertly as some sort of a wild conspiracy theory, but to believe that there was a significant effort put into something which nobody even had any expectation of ever using makes no sense.  As per the conversations of Figueres, Dalton, and a great many other 'thought leaders' in the 'sustainability' movement, tamping down the scourge of human pestilence has been a fixation for some for a long time.  And these people seem to bubble to the top of the movement somehow.

There are other reasons to limit populations in the spheres of influence.  A chief one is that we in the U.S. tend to maintain control over our resource producing holdings in Africa, Asia, and Central America by installing and supporting fairly disgusting leaderships.  A higher population means more risk that a uprising will unseat our chosen strongmen.

Eugenics is nothing especially new anywhere including here in the U.S.  The eugenicists here re-branded themselves and tuned their messenging significantly after Hitler, or more accurately our war propaganda against his regime, gave the movement a black eye.  But they certainly didn't disappear. 

Joe Sixpack, when he thinks about the issue at all, has the natural conception that eugenics would be used to select 'better' people.  Maybe back in the day this was the goal, but in reality the last thing a leadership needs is smart and strong people.  They present a significant threat and are harder to milk, manage, and put to work.  I would expect modern eugenics to mirror the paradigms used by farmers in building a herd of cattle with the appropriate size and disposition to maximize profit and minimize risk.  (A leading cause of death in my area a few generations ago were 'jersey bulls'.)  Once one is designing 'herd immunity' one might as well be doing the same for 'herd fertility' and other herd behaviors.

In fact we went through a period of relative freedom where a giant middle and upper-middle class here in the U.S. accumulated quite a lot of wealth which they now sit on.  The wealth itself a juicy prize, and those individuals (and to a lesser extent, their progeny) with the dispossession to achieve this are also not the ideal in terms of desired herd mentality.  A clever social engineer would figure out a way to reduce fertility amongt this class while separating them from their wealth at the same time.  Seems to me that the cost of education, and the cost of health care and the shear number of people getting sick happens to be achieving this.

Anyway, I think that most of the 'social justice warrior' class are complicit out of shear ignorance.  Even people elevated to the high levels of the movement are focused on their pet projects and not seeing the bigger picture.  That does not absolve them of ultimate responsibility for the actions that are occurring however.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 11:08:22 PM

Think Progress: Culprit Causing Global Warming? “Surgical Anesthesia”…

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/04/07/3643995/anesthesia-gases-contribute-to-climate-change/

galdur

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 11:15:05 PM

Global warming will bring fast, clumsy spiders
The fluid that controls their limb movement can't keep up with the high speeds that come with high temperatures, a study finds.

One major downside of global warming? Spiders. So many spiders.

Previous studies have suggested that warmer weather may mean more spiders overall (and bigger ones, at that) and may make poisonous species more common as more and more regions fit their temperature preferences.

But apparently we have to worry about them getting fast and clumsy, too. Is a fast and clumsy spider better than a slow, methodical spider? Unclear. Both sound terrible....

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/04/07/warm-up-to-bring-clumsy-spiders/

galdur

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 11:19:26 PM

Always a favorite...

Will humans be responsible for the extinction of polar bears. It appears that the global warming is causing the melting of the sea ice might affect polar bears from feeding, study shows.

Poor, poor Mr. Bear how forlorn he looks.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 05:26:28 PM

Obama: Global Warming Gave My Daughter Asthma

President Obama said in an interview broadcast Wednesday that his push to address climate change has been partly influenced by a frightening moment when his daughter Malia had an asthma attack as a 4-year-old.

“What I can relate to is the fear a parent has, when your 4-year-old daughter comes up to you and says, ‘Daddy, I’m having trouble breathing.’ The fright you feel is terrible,” the president said on ABC’s “Good Morning America” Wednesday.
“And if we can make sure that our responses to the environment are reducing those incidents, that's something that I think every parent would wish for.”

Obama has made climate change a major priority of his White House. This week, he announced a global warming report that focuses on how people can take action to reduce health risks associated with a changing climate. He’s also negotiated a deal with China to cut greenhouse gases.

But that strategy hasn’t been welcomed by all of Congress, including a number Republican lawmakers who don’t feel that climate change presents as pressing of a risk as the president suggests.

Obama encouraged a societal approach to climate change, involving public health officials, doctors and community leaders in developing strategies to fight climate change. And he argued that the issue affects all Americans, so there needs to be a large buy-in.

"There are a whole host of public health impacts that are going to hit home, so we've got to do better in protecting vulnerable Americans," Obama added in an interview with CNN.

"Ultimately, though, all of our families are going to be vulnerable. You can't cordon yourself off from air or climate."

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/238171-obama-daughters-asthma-attack-made-climate-change-personal

galdur

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 06:53:21 PM

DC Residents SUPER Concerned About Global Warming

By Josh Fatzick Published: April 7, 2015

A global warming public opinion study released Monday shows Washington, D.C. residents worry more about global warming than anyone else in the U.S., though they don’t think it will harm them personally.

According to the study conducted by the Yale Project on Climate Change, 74 percent of D.C. residents are worried about the effects of global warming, but only 47 percent believe they will be personally harmed. D.C. residents even beat out Hawaiians, at 66 percent, in how worried they are about global warming, even though people in the island state likely have more cause for concern.

Read more: http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/dc-residents-super-concerned-about-global-warming/#ixzz3WkH8cXK1
Follow us: @TheLibRepublic on Twitter | libertarianrepublic on Facebook

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 07:45:45 AM

Here's a thought experiment.

Suppose that we knew that aliens were going to be mining our planet and stealing our fossil fuels over the next few decades until we didn't have enough to add CO2 to the atmosphere.  What would the impact be on our world and the people who inhabit it?

I suggest that such an event would be a cataclysmic event for most people and we would do everything possible to avert the disaster.  If the aliens could not be stopped, I suggest that we would kill one another in massive numbers to compete for what was available.  Yes, a few rich people would 'go green', but it's simply not an option for most of the earth's inhabitants at this time, nor is it likely to be in the foreseeable future.

It may or may not go without saying, but the impact from this alien theft would be more or less indistinguishable from the impact that the carbon neutral folks wish to impose on humanity.  Or claim to wish.  I have a great deal of difficulty accepting that those who understand the issues in detail even really believe their own bullshit to say the truth.

---

As an aside, here's a recent interview with Freeman Dyson:  http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Conversations+that+matter+Earth+actually+growing+greener/10944052/story.html

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 12:24:27 PM

Here's a thought experiment.

Suppose that we knew that aliens were going to be mining our planet and stealing our fossil fuels over the next few decades until we didn't have enough to add CO2 to the atmosphere.  What would the impact be on our world and the people who inhabit it?

I suggest that such an event would be a cataclysmic event for most people and we would do everything possible to avert the disaster.  If the aliens could not be stopped, I suggest that we would kill one another in massive numbers to compete for what was available.  Yes, a few rich people would 'go green', but it's simply not an option for most of the earth's inhabitants at this time, nor is it likely to be in the foreseeable future.

It may or may not go without saying, but the impact from this alien theft would be more or less indistinguishable from the impact that the carbon neutral folks wish to impose on humanity.  Or claim to wish.  I have a great deal of difficulty accepting that those who understand the issues in detail even really believe their own bullshit to say the truth.

---

As an aside, here's a recent interview with Freeman Dyson:  http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Conversations+that+matter+Earth+actually+growing+greener/10944052/story.html

The nature of propaganda is to propagate a belief set using naive minds as the medium of propagation.  They do believe it.
Pages: « 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: